Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I was feeling a bit down on this until I started realizing that this is a Shonen tournament arc and now I'm way back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm indifferent to pretty much the entire narrative but i'm down for some rad sword fights.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gologle posted:

Remember when the Hulk was stranded in Otherworld and had some adventures that eventually ended with Jarella, the best Hulk girl? It won't happen, but I'd like to see some Hulk action in Otherworld again. And Jarella, but Marvel has forgotten she existed.

Microverse and she is dead

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah but doesn't mean she can't be brought back. Then again, some characters are better off dead. RIP Jarella, at least one fan thought you were rad as hell.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought it was fine. The twist with the Summerseses at the end made me :haw:

But yes there's a lot of purple prose and overcomplicated fappery to explain what's frankly a pretty straightforward situation. Poccy's got evil kids on Arakko who want revenge. Unfortunately for everyone, Krakoa wants to reunite with Arakko so they have to deal with those kids coming through. The only way through is through Otherworld. And Emma Frost is forcing everyone to duel in an arena to see who gets their way. And there we go!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The X-Men should just laugh when they say it'll come down to sword fights and kick back to watch Gorgon tear through everyone. Magik can come along for laughs.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is a weird thing to be pointing out a year and a half after this all started, but I'm still not quite sure what to make of the infographic pages.

It feels like there's interesting stuff in there, but also I feel like my eyes just kinda glaze over when I read them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Some of the huge walls of text are a little annoying, but a lot of them also manage to be pretty interesting. I think it gives the X-books a fun little quirk of their own and would be sad if they went away.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I was feeling a bit down on this until I started realizing that this is a Shonen tournament arc and now I'm way back in.

As soon as they mention reconvening in 3 days I was like "oh poo poo, we got ourselves a tournament arc! *air horn noises*

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Some of the huge walls of text are a little annoying, but a lot of them also manage to be pretty interesting. I think it gives the X-books a fun little quirk of their own and would be sad if they went away.

Yeah, I just have trouble actually retaining what I read sometimes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

I also think that if both characters are going to be major players in the same plotline, Saturnyne and Emma Frost could stand to be a little more visually distinct. It isn't confusing yet but I could see it getting there.

Saturnyne sounds American despite being from (well not actually, because she lives in a different plane of existence, but close enough) Britain, and Emma sounds British despite being 100% home grown American.

Not enough gets made of the fact that Krakoa is probably the first time Emma Frost spent more than two weeks in a row not on East Coast of America.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Was that aspect mentioned in any interviews? as soon as I realized this might be a tournament arc I got a lot more excited (though I did enjoy this issue).

Are Brand and Beast still a couple? I'm looking forward to seeing her call him out on his BS anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Saturnyne sounds American despite being from (well not actually, because she lives in a different plane of existence, but close enough) Britain, and Emma sounds British despite being 100% home grown American.

Not enough gets made of the fact that Krakoa is probably the first time Emma Frost spent more than two weeks in a row not on East Coast of America.

What about when she lived off San Francisco

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I agree that the setup for this issue was communicated in an unnecessarily messy way but otherwise I thought it was great fun.

Seeing Apocalypse cry was freakin weird, man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

What about when she lived off San Francisco

You know she went back at least every other weekend.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She's ridiculously wealthy. She's certainly taken multi-week vacations in Europe.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

I get the feeling Creation would have worked better if we didn't have the build up/info dump of the x-men issue, and had opened a bit more in media res with Banshee being brought back critically injured and then flashbacks to the circumstances of him and Unus being sent off.

Having said that, I enjoyed the two strands of the ending, and am quite happy to see where the story goes over :stare: twenty two issues.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

You know she went back at least every other weekend.

I think she lived in Genosha at the beginning of Morrison's run but it isn't really stated how long she's been there and again, she could have flown back to New York whenever I guess.

Whatever happened to the Apocalypse Twins? Are they totally dead? Not mutants? Alive and feeling left out at the moment?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

I think she lived in Genosha at the beginning of Morrison's run but it isn't really stated how long she's been there and again, she could have flown back to New York whenever I guess.

Whatever happened to the Apocalypse Twins? Are they totally dead? Not mutants? Alive and feeling left out at the moment?

Man, I don't even know. Didn't the last part of that Uncanny Avengers story take place in an alternate timeline?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Didn't Thor throw both of them into the Sun?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

Has anyone addressed how time travel works for mutant resurrection?

Their personal timeline is:

- Born on Earth-616 (they're technically Archangel's kids, not En Sabah Nur's though I missed the Maury where they covered how Death Seeds affect paternity tests)
- Stolen as infants by Kang and deposited in a Days of Futures Past style alternate universe for their childhood
- Brought into the 42nd Century to grow up
- Returned to Earth-616 and the present day and created multiple divergent timelines/universes
- All of those divergent timelines/universes got pruned when the Avengers from the future went back in time and killed the Apocalypse Twins in space but their corpses were retrieved by Daken and the Grim Reaper, both of whom showed up later no longer Horsemen though I don't think it's been explained for either of them

So if they got resurrected, would it be as babies? As their adult selves that grew up in different dimensions/centuries?

This applies to a lot of characters honestly, what's the resurrection protocol for Cable or Rachel Summers? For Dark Beast or X-Man? Have they considered resurrecting recently fallen comrades like Old Man Logan or Bloodstorm?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

- Born on Earth-616 (they're technically Archangel's kids, not En Sabah Nur's though I missed the Maury where they covered how Death Seeds affect paternity tests)
- Stolen as infants by Kang and deposited in a Days of Futures Past style alternate universe for their childhood
- Returned to Earth-616 and the present day and created multiple divergent timelines/universes
- All of those divergent timelines/universes got pruned when the Avengers from the future went back in time and killed the Apocalypse Twins in space but their corpses were retrieved by Daken and the Grim Reaper, both of whom showed up later no longer Horsemen though I don't think it's been explained for either of them

So if they got resurrected, would it be as babies? As their adult selves that grew up in different dimensions/centuries?

This applies to a lot of characters honestly, what's the resurrection protocol for Cable or Rachel Summers? For Dark Beast or X-Man? Have they considered resurrecting recently fallen comrades like Old Man Logan or Bloodstorm?

note that vampirism can be cloned, as demonstrated by the other bloodstorm

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Edge & Christian posted:

I think for Cable it would depend on which one died. Essentially Krakoa was all history for old Cable so leaving young Cable dead would probably leave a whole bunch time paradoxes.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I was wondering if Bishop was going to try to get them to bring Shard back actually. Another question from Bishop's timeline: if trevor fitzroy is brought back will he be a good guy? In PAD's X-Factor he is shown to be a hero until Layla Miller resurrects him without his soul, which causes him to become the villain we normally see. Do these new bodies have souls? I guess so, because according to x-lore they are villains if they don't. I guess this question also works on Nightcrawler who I believe currently has no soul?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cable and Rachel both have fully integrated themselves into the Summers family and are calling Scott and Jean their parents, even if that isn't exactly the case. So I figure they'd both be brought back as is. Though Tempus could age Cable up if he wanted, but why would he?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Codependent Poster posted:

Cable and Rachel both have fully integrated themselves into the Summers family and are calling Scott and Jean their parents, even if that isn't exactly the case. So I figure they'd both be brought back as is. Though Tempus could age Cable up if he wanted, but why would he?
Kid Cable doesn't have any of Old Cable's memories, for instance Kid Cable just met Deadpool for the first time last issue. Old Cable has decades (both in the fictional world and in comics) of experiences and memories and relationships that are presumably stored somewhere in Cerebro but not in the currently living Cable. It's not unreasonable to treat them as two separate individuals, both of whom spent the majority of their life in alternate time/space. A strict resurrection of Cable "as-is" would make him like a six year old, and may or may not have the T-O virus.

Did any version of Trevor Fitzroy other than the Evil Soulless One spend time in the current timeline to be catalogued? Did any version of Shard besides that hologram?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Wolverine artist Viktor Bogdanovic went on a Twitter rant about how nobody could understand X of Swords which is an event he is currently, you know, working on. He's gotten such flak for it he made his account protected.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

viktor bogdanovic seems like he's incredibly bad at using twitter

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Edge & Christian posted:

Did any version of Trevor Fitzroy other than the Evil Soulless One spend time in the current timeline to be catalogued? Did any version of Shard besides that hologram?

I doubt it, Fitzroy didn't know he could time travel until after his arrest for all the murders and whatnot.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I wonder if Jamie Madrox could make a case for resurrecting a multiple who had attained a certain degree of autonomy.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So let me get this straight
Hickman's stories have been an alt-history Roman Empire, Near Future New York, Weird Alternate History Civil War, Alternate World History with FF/Shield/Secret Wars, and now he's introducing yet another entire world of alternate history as well as showing more of Otherworld's history

guys I think Hickman might really like historical fiction storytelling

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I assume this Cable is not that far out from "The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix" where he just spent several years growing up with Cyclops and Jean. It doesn't seem wild to me that he would consider them both parents.

Edge & Christian posted:

On Shard you are right. She was only a hologram in the main timeline. On Trevor, only evil one. I guess I don't know if that is a different version or just good version without soul.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I just mean technically Maddie is Cable's mom and an alternate reality Scott and Jean are Rachel's parents. They've just cut all that out and gone directly to calling Scott and Jean their parents.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

KaosMachina posted:

So let me get this straight
Hickman's stories have been an alt-history Roman Empire, Near Future New York, Weird Alternate History Civil War, Alternate World History with FF/Shield/Secret Wars, and now he's introducing yet another entire world of alternate history as well as showing more of Otherworld's history

guys I think Hickman might really like historical fiction storytelling

Don't forget the at-history where Evil Albert Einstein and other famous scientists and a Russian spacedog create a secret government.

But his best work is his real historical work about how money is literally controlled by an evil God and all of our economic crashes are just our sacrifices to them. (Selfishly, I want him to finish his X-Men so that Black Monday Murders can be finished).

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

danbanana posted:

(Selfishly, I want him to finish his X-Men so that Black Monday Murders can be finished).

BMM's delay wasn't on Hickman, it was because the artist got very ill. I believe all the scripts have been done for forever now, and the artist, Tomm Coker, has supposedly just started working again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yeah, I just mean technically Maddie is Cable's mom and an alternate reality Scott and Jean are Rachel's parents. They've just cut all that out and gone directly to calling Scott and Jean their parents.

After Inferno, Jean got all of the memories of Madelyne and the Phoenix masquerading as Jean, so she is basically Cable's mother. Not sure how that squares away with Madelyne's appearances since then.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rochallor posted:

After Inferno, Jean got all of the memories of Madelyne and the Phoenix masquerading as Jean, so she is basically Cable's mother. Not sure how that squares away with Madelyne's appearances since then.
Scott and jean were also pulled into the future from their honeymoon and raised him

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well it kinda squares with how Madelyne is calling herself a nothing person, in a nowhere place. Even the parts of her that were supposed to be her, Madelyne, belong to Jean now or...even worse, was most likely actually Jean all along.

But yet somehow Madelyne is still here, despite the fact that she may not actually have been a real person (it's very Kingdom Hearts). And this Madelyne that's been around since the 90s is, ironically, much more her own individual person than she was before, specifically because she is a "nothing person," who doesn't own any of her previous life. Which makes the Council decision to not resurrect her because she's somehow still Jean somehow (who she's not! at all!) extra super duper skeevy.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 25, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah. I thought the ending of that arc was actually really unsettling and sad. The first time I did a big read-through of 80s X-comics I was struck by how likeable and interesting Madelyne is, and how horrific her transformation in Inferno was. I felt like her sense of confusion and loss in Hellions was very understandable, and the responses of the two Summers brothers at the end extremely revealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Does the fact that I'm about 90% sure if this is the same one that was running around earlier this was supposed to be the Madelyne Prior from Secret Wars Inferno. Which... given some of the people running around doesn't mean anything but another figure to quibble over.