Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Shadow King being every demonic/cosmic monster the X-Men have ever faced puts him back in line with Claremont's original intent in a way. Also who's the green guy on the right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Shadow King being every demonic/cosmic monster the X-Men have ever faced puts him back in line with Claremont's original intent in a way. Also who's the green guy on the right?

The First Fallen, from Claremont's third(?) big UXM run in the 2000s.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

No, First Fallen's the guy with the wings. The green guy to the right of the First Fallen.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I didn't notice that guy at first glance (I'm color-blind), but that might be the Goblin Force from Mutant X.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Wanderer posted:

I didn't notice that guy at first glance (I'm color-blind), but that might be the Goblin Force from Mutant X.

oh my god what the gently caress is al ewing on

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he has an IV drip of purestrain deep continuity

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like these pages and their implications from Rez

This is really cool.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
So if I'm understanding this right, if Professor X, who does not appear in any of the future lineups, were to say... mysteriously die after taking out Enigma and before telling anyone about "Cypher", then Sinister can make a clean getaway.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Sesq posted:

So if I'm understanding this right, if Professor X, who does not appear in any of the future lineups, were to say... mysteriously die after taking out Enigma and before telling anyone about "Cypher", then Sinister can make a clean getaway.

Yeah.

However, my prediction for the ending is Xavier replaces Enigma as a Dominion to stop anyone else from becoming one. As part of that, he erases Essex from the timeline.

Wishful thinking maybe, but there's been stupider stuff happen in Krakoa :cheeky:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if xavier makes it out alive, i still don't think many mutants including the x-men would be too keen to follow his lead for a while.
even the mutants that would agree with sacrificing themselves for human hostages are likely still gonna hold a grudge about the whole telepathic coercion thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Veg posted:

Yeah.

However, my prediction for the ending is Xavier replaces Enigma as a Dominion to stop anyone else from becoming one. As part of that, he erases Essex from the timeline.

Wishful thinking maybe, but there's been stupider stuff happen in Krakoa :cheeky:

I think this would be pretty cool. I don't think they leave either of these dudes off the table for long but it would still feel like a nice end.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Rick posted:

I think this would be pretty cool. I don't think they leave either of these dudes off the table for long but it would still feel like a nice end.

Thats what I thought the vault was set up for honestly. Then Stasis did it instead

I think I was overly cautious with the tags then but just incase anyone isnt caught up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At this rate there's going to be nothing for Magneto to do once he's back

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

At this rate there's going to be nothing for Magneto to do once he's back

I hadn't really thought about it until you wrote that, but "No, we're never done" works as well as a meta-commentary on superhero comics as it does as a badass last-stand line.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Shadow King being every demonic/cosmic monster the X-Men have ever faced puts him back in line with Claremont's original intent in a way.

in retrospect, as you point that out, a little surprising they didn't tie Enigma in with it more.

Hell, there's your plot hook/resolution. The only timeline that can avoid the creation of Enigma... is the Mutant Wars!
Would that be the longest dangling plot thread resolution in comic book history? Feel like it would have to be close. I know the Twelve, the Third Summers Brother, and the Gwen Stacy clone that was supposed to be killed off in the Clone Saga were also at least a decade apiece, but yeah.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

BrianWilly posted:

I don't think anyone's saying that Krakoa wasn't shady or corrupt. Half the posts this week have been people conceding that. But Krakoa can be shady and corrupt and people can still like it and want to read about it being saved and fixed. Both things can be true at the same time.

Because at the exact same time that Krakoa was being a supremacist ethnostate featuring naked suicide cults, it also depicted the story of mutantkind in a lot of ways that a lot of people found undeniably empowering, not least of which is the outlandish, preposterous power fantasy of an oppressed minority group who weren't constantly afraid of being killed and were, in fact, able to reach the heights they've always dreamed of reaching because they weren't constantly afraid of being killed. Sure, yeah, such a crazy notion, right? The wild fantasy of being powerful enough that bigots aren't going to able to kill you and those like you willy-nilly? Somehow that managed to resonate with one or two readers in this day and age, for some reason.

The 80s Claremontian ideal of Xavier's dream is beautiful because deep down, at our cores, we all want to be peaceful and find peace with everyone else and be happy together peacefully. But the more recent focus on Magneto's dream is tempting because there has been a rage building within marginalized communities and their allies for years, decades even, and everyone is tired of how much worse things are getting and frustrated at being told that you're actually just as bad as your oppressors if you're angry that they're killing you. And as beautiful as Xavier's dream may be, is it any wonder that Krakoa sparked a desire in readers for the X-Men as a metaphor to evolve beyond that kind of assimilationist martyrdom, of being so nice to your oppressors that they'll finally cave in and deign to be nice in return?

An important angle I think people overlook is that Krakoa (like the majority of superhero stories) is on some level a power fantasy, while at the same time (like a fair number of modern superhero stories) it wants to examine and critique that power fantasy.

The interesting thing is that, while a lot of these power fantasies are inherently authoritarian and reactionary (Batman, Iron Man, the Punisher), Krakoa speaks to progressive and leftist frustrations.

The left-wing power fantasy of Krakoa is: I'm sick of fighting for tolerance and a chance at a better life in a world where oligarchs and ignorant bigots profit from maintaining the status quo. What if me and my friends could just say "gently caress you" and move to a magic treehouse island? And then we roll up to a g20 summit and tell everyone "gently caress you, we quit capitalism, and you can't stop us because we found an infinite money glitch with magic treehouse drugs." And then a bunch of lovely diplomats show up and tell us to stop being awesome and we're like "gently caress you, YOU HAVE NEW GODS NOW."

The self-aware element of Krakoa is the writers noticing that, when you let that power fantasy play out in a story, the magic treehouse island has a lot of nationalist/isolationist undertones, and there's greater narrative potential in playing around with that stuff instead of pretending it's not there.

I'm not going to lie, I found some of the mutant nationalism in HoXPoX to be intensely cathartic, at least in the context of the story. And the same time time, even the most wholesome parts made me a little queasy, because of their adjacency to the fascism.

So while it's interesting to debate whether mutant nationalism is a justified response to oppression, or a capitulation the oppressor's ideologies--that debate ignores that the tension is deliberate, and an important part of the narrative logic.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 27, 2024

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Upon reflection, it is kind of remarkable that so many people -- and I'm not just talking about here, I'm talking in a lot of spaces -- got so antsy at the idea of Magneto telling the political representatives of the U.S., China, Russia, and loving Israel to get in line or to go pound sand.

(I guess France was there too but I don't really know what France does in general)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 27, 2024

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BrianWilly posted:

Upon reflection, it certainly is kind of remarkable that so many people -- and I'm not just talking about here, I'm talking in a lot of spaces -- got so antsy at the idea of Magneto telling the political representatives of the U.S., China, Russia, and loving Israel to get in line or to go pound sand.

I mean I'm team Magneto, kinda. By any means necessary. My issue is not, to clarify, the means of Krakoa - I don't think Xavier's methodology works either. Xavier's goal is laudable, but not his means. You don't ask politely or wait for human rights. My issue is, as I've said repeatedly, that Krakoa represents the idea that coexistence is simply not possible.
I've just pointed out the Magneto bit as evidence that, yeah, Krakoa and Orchis are operating on the same exact set of founding principles: mutants and humans are locked in an existential evolutionary battle and only one species will come out at top, and only at the expense of the other.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Maybe it's because I was raised Catholic, but the crucible issue just hit different for me.

I think fight scenes in superhero comics are always partly metaphorical. They're like the songs in a stage musical--a more dynamic way of illustrating character conflict, playing to the strengths of the medium and genre, instead of just showing a monologue or conversation.

Obviously, if read literally, the crucible is horrifying. But in the idiom of superhero comics, where super-powered violence is metaphor... the emotional logic of crucible, at least, made sense to me. Confronting suffering and death to earn transformative grace.

Maybe that's an ex-Catholic thing. At least there weren't any exploding communion wafers.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 27, 2024

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
No you got it, that’s literally what they’re representing with the Crucible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xavier is such a jerk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BrianWilly posted:

Upon reflection, it is kind of remarkable that so many people -- and I'm not just talking about here, I'm talking in a lot of spaces -- got so antsy at the idea of Magneto telling the political representatives of the U.S., China, Russia, and loving Israel to get in line or to go pound sand.

(I guess France was there too but I don't really know what France does in general)
I suppose many people see a superhuman telling a recognizable modern government to eat poo poo and inevitably see the Justice Lords and Dark Warrior Duck, if not right there then one step behind.

This, despite often craving seeing someone telling the actual modern government to eat poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I feel like if Magneto had left out the part about ruling over humans and just said "you've failed as a government; we're going to build a magic kingdom and do just what we want" people would have responded much more positively.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Indie Rocktopus posted:

An important angle I think people overlook is that Krakoa (like the majority of superhero stories) is on some level a power fantasy, while at the same time (like a fair number of modern superhero stories) it wants to examine and critique that power fantasy.

The interesting thing is that, while a lot of these power fantasies are inherently authoritarian and reactionary (Batman, Iron Man, the Punisher), Krakoa speaks to progressive and leftist frustrations.

Someone on twitter said that Krakoa is 40k Imperium for leftists and the fan discourse of the era certainly felt like that. Flatscans amirite

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I feel like if Magneto had left out the part about ruling over humans and just said "you've failed as a government; we're going to build a magic kingdom and do just what we want" people would have responded much more positively.
I imagine some of it was setting up for the fall, since without at least a healthy dose of hubris, the inevitable return to the IPs mean would have seemed even crueler. You can at least encompass reasons other than pure bigotry to be concerned about Krakoa

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Codependent Poster posted:

Xavier is such a jerk.

I've never trusted that Xavier fellow. Don't like the cut of his jib.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Krakoa is actually meant as a metaphor for Scottish independence

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Xavier is such a jerk.

Many are saying this.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Regarding issue 3 of Rise of the Powers of X:
Xaviers team know Sinister had a failsafe set up to reset the timeline in +10 (when Dr Stasis attempted to ascend).

Kind of risky and impulsive to kill Sinister then, isnt it Rasputin?

Unless I'm misremembering something about the Moira engine?

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

fatherboxx posted:

Someone on twitter said that Krakoa is 40k Imperium for leftists and the fan discourse of the era certainly felt like that. Flatscans amirite

Absolutely. Although to be fair, "I want to live in a magic treehouse and overturn late-stage capitalism with soft power and magic vaccines" is at least prosocial and relatively innocuous. At least compared to, say, "I wish I was so rich and smart I could totally kill Superman, so I could beat up petty criminals and the mentally ill." Or "Elon Musk is such a lovable jerk with a heart of gold, so instead of buying twitter he should invent a flying tank suit." Or "what if I bought a kickass skull t-shirt and a fuckton of guns."

EDIT: Also, appropriate that Gillen's big "be careful what you wish for" story about what happens when the power fantasy goes horribly wrong was basically superhero Warhammer in dominatrix gear.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 28, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Indie Rocktopus posted:

EDIT: Also, appropriate that Gillen's big "be careful what you wish for" story about what happens when the power fantasy goes horribly wrong was basically superhero Warhammer in dominatrix gear.

i don't think you needed to add that last part

i think its implied

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

What a wet fart of a finale X-Force landed with

Won't be missing you on the other side of the Krakoan gateway, Percy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xavier's reformed!

oh wait.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Two Summers kids get shot in the back by someone they trusted this week smh

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

hope and vaseline posted:

What a wet fart of a finale X-Force landed with

Won't be missing you on the other side of the Krakoan gateway, Percy

Disagree wholeheartedly. I think it could have used a few more pages to breathe, but I thought it was a solid conclusion to War Crimes Beast.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the little bit of hank that wasn't furry kissinger surfaced from his subconscious, and he acted on very old reflexes. he didn't make a deliberate choice to stop being poo poo, much less to sacrifice himself. so, it was a logically and thematically consistent ending. but well, i never had much affection for classic avengers beast so this doesn't do much for me.

also, beast definitely thought his various failsafes that x-force disarmed a couple arcs ago were still active.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

At least show Shithead Present Day Hank blowing himself up and not tell. It was kind of a disappointing thud for me as well, it felt incredibly pressed for time.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

i don't think you needed to add that last part

i think its implied

It really speaks to the Clairemontian ideal of what the X-men is, and I'm glad it still lives on in this day and age.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, I'm going to assume shooting Rachel is part of the plan to resurrect Phoenix. Would be nice if a writer actually remembers that she was always the best host. Also, they seem to be laying it on thick that Moira will turn out to be a triple agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

So, I'm going to assume shooting Rachel is part of the plan to resurrect Phoenix. Would be nice if a writer actually remembers that she was always the best host. Also, they seem to be laying it on thick that Moira will turn out to be a triple agent.

Given that the next xmen forever cover is Three redheads in front of the Phoenix, I think that is a safe assumption on your part.