Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
The first comic I ever bought was Uncanny X-Men #205, and I got it for a dime at a garage sale. I can't imagine a worse X-Men comic for an animated-series-loving-7-year-old. The story doesn't match the cover, the POV character was someone I'd never heard of (Katie Power), the artwork was barely legible (deliberately, the story took place during a blizzard), and the only X-Man in the book is Wolverine, and he's mostly out of costume. I was so turned off that I didn't touch another super hero comic again until I was 13.

Today it's one of my favorite issues of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Who is the pipe smoking guy with Magneto? I’m surprised how many I don’t recognize.

Maybe Unus the Untouchable? That looks like his hairline, and he's usually wearing a turtleneck.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

JordanStiva posted:

Are there any good books about the behind-the-scenes work on this X-Men run? I can see a general Marvel: Untold Story book but was wondering if there's anything X-Men/Claremont specific?

They aren't books, but uncannyxmen.net's "Secrets behind the X-Men" articles are excellent.

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 7, 2020

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

This also makes me want to get into mutants like Toad or the Blob-- did they name themselves as a badge of mutant pride, or were they named instead by people trying to turn their powers into cruel jokes (I actually do not know the answer to this)? If they wanted to just be Mortimer and Fred would Peepers be cool with that too? Or if they wanted to rebrand as, idk, Iguana and Bulwark or something? I'm intrigued by this idea brought up about "code-names" and identity but I want it to be digged into further.

IIRC, the Blob was given his name by the circus from his first appearance. I believe he kept it because he loving loved being the Blob, which is why he took the loss of his powers so hard after House of M (that and being left with deflated skin).

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm serious, who's the blue girl?

I believe it's Somnus.

edit: beaten

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Judd Winick's Exiles made me a regular comics reader. That book was awesome.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Rick posted:

Avalanche’s entire personality is “loyal to his friends to a fault” so that might be fun to explore but probably there won’t be enough space to do it.

He's also one of the dumbest mutants (which is why I voted for him).

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Joss Whedon had a lot of really loving dumb stuff in Astonishing and almost none of it is worth wasting a single thought on.

I have nothing to add. I just want to thank you for saying this.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Banshee was in X of Swords here and there, in which he spent most of the crossover incapacitated after an ambush during a scouting mission to Otherworld. He was also in Secret X-Men.

Is Maggott considered high-profile?

Minister of Sound fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

I voted for Frenzy.