Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I was very solidly meh on Excalibur, but Marauders was great. I decided I can only afford two X-books and I want the main Hickman book but I also really want Fallen Angels cause I have a huge chunk of X-23 issues now. If it's anything less than stellar, I'm gonna have to switch my sub to Marauders. gently caress, I don't even like Kitty Kate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I actually like the idea that Cable's existence vis-a-vis the timestream is so hosed up that he can show up and kill himself and carry on without it really messing with continuity. I totally expect some version of Old Cable to come back and either "retire" the young one or work alongside him.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
X-Men Vs Evil Golden Girls was incredible, and the little mini-bio of the four Hordeculture members at the end made me chuckle.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

LifeGetsWorser posted:

The only logical conclusion for what's going on in Fallen Angels is that Psylocke is (maybe subconsciously) psychically influencing Cable and Laura to act out of character.

I choose to believe this, because I'm a X-23 superfan. Dropped anyway. I was only buying the book for her, and I've never given much of a poo poo about Psylocke. Big fan of Cable, too, and while I'm not against literally rebooting him in theory, in practice it's not doing it for me.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

jng2058 posted:

She tried, in that we see her fail to get through the gate before it closes. Presumably her powers intervened to make her just a bit too slow to get killed like Logan and Quire. Though arguably Wolverine might be able to survive getting cut in half. :shrug:

The X-Men breaking their own rules and producing a squadron of Logan and Laura clones in a time of absolute desperation could be a really cool story beat in the right hands. The Logans would probably be like "let's do this poo poo; this ain't the weirdest situation we've been in" but given her entire history I think the Lauras would be real hosed up over it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh my god Charles finally took off his helmet and... nothing. Amazing. I hope that made heads explode over at Reddit and wherever else people tend to leap to bizarre theories and immediately treat them as true until proven otherwise.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well what I got from that preview was that it looks like at least some of it is going to revolve around Dani not having full control of her fear-based illusion powers, which seems horror movie as gently caress to me. Or did I interpret that all wrong?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
X-Tremists was my "oh god everybody says they love this, why do I really really not?" book. More than happy to see XF come back as an Investigations book, cause that's one of the two titles that really got me into comics as a late bloomer in my 20s.
Honestly I also was never keen on Northstar because he's just a fast dude but I never considered what the new status quo would be like for his marriage. Really looking forward to seeing how that all plays out.

Still, though. But, but, but... what about JAMIE?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Skwirl posted:

Egg is literally the first thing I would come up with if someone asked me for a worse name than Goldballs.

Let me offer you one of these in this trying time.

Also when was the last time we even saw Tempus before this The Five stuff? I always thought she was really interesting, but I'm a sucker for a "made the best of a hosed up situation, only to have that all ripped away from me" sort of story. It wasn't that different than TNG's "The Inner Light", what happened with her.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
About god drat time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah, I pretty much never refer to them by anything other than Laura and Gabby Kinney. I don't know if Laura's situation was a copyright thing or a "our idiot readers will be CONFUSED by there being two Wolverines" or what. Just, in-universe, calling her by what the people that tortured and brainwashed her called her is... hosed up?
I'm more interested to hear the real-world reason why they changed Gabby's codename. From something hard to copyright to something harder to copyright? So that can't be the reason. Maybe the author (was this Tamaki?) just really hated the name Honey Badger and wanted to change it, not expecting it'd be basically the last thing she did with Gabby.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah, XM #12 just felt like a way-too-condensed summary of an entire series that doesn't actually exist. I'd say it should have been two issues but I think people would have ended up complaining "what is this alternate universe bullshit, get back to the mutants we actually want to see: Rockslide and Gabby".

Also the more real-world time that passes without getting back to Laura, Synch, and Darwin, the better the payoff needs to be. It won't be long before we've hit Chinese Democracy levels of "Not possible to be worth the wait".

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
When was the last time we even saw Frenzy? X-Men Legacy? I seem to recall I liked her in that, but it was ages ago.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

danbanana posted:

(Selfishly, I want him to finish his X-Men so that Black Monday Murders can be finished).

BMM's delay wasn't on Hickman, it was because the artist got very ill. I believe all the scripts have been done for forever now, and the artist, Tomm Coker, has supposedly just started working again.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Okay, poo poo, finally got around to getting my books and reading X-Factor.
So if Real Santo isn't back by the end of this event, I plan on suing for emotional anguish or some poo poo like that. Who do I aim my lawyers at, Marvel Comics or Jon Hickman? There are like FOUR X-Men total that I don't not care about if you throw them into the Permadeath Meat Grinder: Gabby, Laura, Anole, and SANTO.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

radlum posted:

I liked Hellions for the characters, though I don't expect their mission to do much.
Wouldn't be much of a fuckin' event if the side story in Hellions pre-empted the big event from happening, but it'd be HILARIOUS if it did and then there were just 10 issues of baseball games, beach parties, hanging out at the Krakoa bar, etc and also Real Rockslide is brought back to life because of reasons and also I am there and all the girls like me especially Laura who comes out of the place she's been for subjectively several millennia and is not traumatized at all by it.

Whoa, sorry, I think I fugued out for a minute.
I haven't been reading Hellions because I wasn't interested in it at all but... I do really like sassy Sinister. Do the previous issues have enough of him to make going back for them worth it? Haha, when he just grabs a rando off the street and says "I usually wear a cape, if you're wondering!"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Soonmot posted:

i'm enjoying it and love the text dump world building too

Some of it's good, some of it's not. I actually quite liked this last issue of X-Men and feel like it rendered all of the previous worldbuilding-dumps kinda redundant.

Also did I miss something big, or what does Saturnyne wanting to bang Brian have to do with the whole "Arakko marches forth to reclaim Krakoa and kill everyone on earth" thing. I thought Saturnyne's only influence was that she turned it from an impending apocalyptic war into a tournament of champions, and like if Saturnyne hadn't intervened there would have been a massacre regardless.

But I'll admit to things often going over my head in stories like this. I definitely zoned out through a few parts, including most of the Excalibur issue. I remember Saturnyne wanting to nail Brian but I don't remember it actually meaning anything as part of the wider story.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I feel like the pacing is so hosed, though. Way too much buildup and now we're just ramming "fights" through two and three per issue.

And Magik/Pogg sucked. If any match was deserving of being 10 pages of stabbings, it was that one. They did Yana dirty and she better get a real fight later on.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Now that Cable's a drat kid again, I hope Laura's lived enough subjective time to be older than her "father". Someone's gotta carry that weirdo torch for the X-Men.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Saoshyant posted:

And it can even be confusing at times. What's even going on here? Gorgon turned one guy into stone and then that guy broke into pieces from inside(??) or the guy behind the stone dude broke him into pieces to get a shot at Gorgon? Who knows?

Isn't it Gorgon taking on three guys at once, two who turn into stone and one who doesn't because he can't see out of his helmet?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah as someone who gives not the slightest poo poo for Excalibur stuff (don't @ me, there's only so many hours in a day) there seemed to be a few "out of nowhere" bits that were probably less out of nowhere if you'd been reading that. Maybe.
The pacing overall was fuckin' wack, but I don't think it was too rushed at the end. There were basically three issues of End, and one was double-sized. I was thoroughly satisfied by the end result of the Apocalypse/Genesis/Annihilation fight and while the big "and now all the X-Men are here, wooo" and "and now Jubilee and some fairy things are here, wooo" and "and now Cable's sword released a horde of some other guys to fight for us, wooo" moments were all made less relevant by each other, I sure didn't need the battle to take another issue to make them each feel more powerful. If I were the editor I woulda ditched the latter two entirely because Cyclops and Jean showing up with everyone like it's Gamesmaster Anthony's birthday come early this year was earned by the those two being their badass selves telling the Council we're going to do the right thing whether you like it or not.
The whole Invasion > Turned into a Tournament > Blatantly rigged to end in a Tie > Final gently caress You Battle progression ending with "gently caress the rules, invasion anyway" was dumb and semi-invalidated the whole tournament concept, otoh it was hardly surprising and the tournament semi-invalidated itself by not taking itself seriously at all and, like, neither one of those sides was actually going to back down no matter the outcome of the tournament, don't be stupid. And the structure it provided was better and way more fun than 22 issues of A War Happening woulda been.

I guess what I'm saying is Otherworld is a land of contrasts.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Barry Convex posted:

yeah, I mean it's bizarre that Marvel editorial would greenlight this retcon only a few months after the conclusion of a miniseries whose entire point was that Franklin was a mutant and would always have a home on Krakoa, and I can't read Hickman's mind, but I don't see how anything in that quote is bashing Slott

It's easy to read a subtext of gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you Slott into it because that's where we're all coming from. But I agree, it reads to me more like "well, my grand plans got hosed with before, remember? I dealt then and I'll deal now, don't worry".

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I just re-read all of Second Coming (including the X-Factor and Limbo tie in stories) today and LOL at Hank being so loving mad at X-Force existing. Ah, ya big furry hypocrite. Also it's great when Logan and Scott talk about how it was a necessary evil but its time has passed, then Scott leaves (in his jetpack. Bring back Scott's jetpack!) and Logan walks from one room to another where he already has the next iteration of X-Force assembled.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I cannot fathom Magik having any interest in being on the council. I also cannot fathom her not being on the X-Men. The Wolverines pretend they don't like cutting people into pieces, Magik doesn't waste the mental energy on pretending.
My predictions: Cyclops and Jean (obviously), Wolverine, Wolverine, Magik. And hopefully Sunspot and Cannonball cause nobody writes those two better than Hickman. I dunno, y'all think this is gonna be a standard "roster can fit in one cover shot" X-Men or are we gonna end up with a team of 20 who can be called upon as the situation calls for it? The latter makes more sense. Electing the X-Men is a friggin bizarre concept, it really should be just Scott saying "The X-Men are a thing again, come fill out a form if you want to be considered for away missions."

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Blockhouse posted:

And before you ask, no he didn't do anything cool with his powers in New Mutants either

Yeah I was gonna say, I can't remember DJ actually doing anything except dying. Also holy poo poo is someone actually going to do something with Loa?
Yes it's me, I'm the guy who likes all the weird obscure forgotten Academy X kids.

Also I just reread "Wolverine and Jubilee" this morning (which shoulda been titled "Wolverine and Jubilee and Rockslide") and the trade has Jubilee's origin issue at the end. I'm not well-versed in X-history but as soon as Storm ended up in a bathtub with Psylocke, I flipped back to the cover and sure enough - Claremont.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
drat I was hoping Bobby and Sam were both gonna be on the team. I'm leaning toward Sunspot because if he doesn't have his best pal at his side, he seems the type to trap someone else into being his best pal in the meantime. Or Boom-Boom, cause she's an agent of chaos.

What I really want to see is Sunspot and Boom-Boom throwing back a few drinks and seeing where the night takes them. Not like that, but, you know, hijinks.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so strong guy was dead and only came back via krakoa, right? this week's new mutants reminded me that his body only looks that way because of how his powers first manifested. so, what's up with him still looking the same as always?

I choose to think it works like the Matrix. You look the way you look because that's how you looked and unless you specifically ask to come back different you're going to come back the way you and everyone else saw you/rself. It's the same reason Logan and Laura's hair always grows back to a certain length after being incinerated or whatever. Subconscious something or other blah blah a wizard the X-Gene did it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Semi off topic but is it just me or is there no way to actually vote if you're using Chrome? I was totally confused by their website until I opened it in lovely ol' Internet Explorer and all of a sudden there was the poll at the top of the page. Or UBlock Origin decided it was an advertisement or something. So I don't actually have a problem because I voted, just wondering if anyone else gets the same thing or letting anyone with the same confusion know there actually IS a poll but maybe ad-blockers block it.

Anyway vote Roberto.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I never read any Gen-X but I did just re-read the AvX issues of Avengers Academy and I remembered seeing who I assumed (correctly) you were referring to in, like, a single panel. Looked her up on the Marvel Wiki and, well, certainly a contender for "hardest character to explain to your non-comics-reading friends".

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Between stuff happening in New Mutants and this text page of Cable, if they're building up to killing Gabby then I'm building up to burning down Marvel HQ.
Besides, if she was a "duplicate" of Laura she would have the same number of claws, so there. Ipso facto, gently caress off, she stays forever.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Laura's easily my favorite character but god drat. I coulda stood for that to be 5 issues long and get a whole trade out of it. And people say comics are too decompressed these days. I had been wondering this whole time whether they were going to come out of this situation with memory intact and completely changed as people or not... and how unbelievably sad is that, how it played out. I like that he's smiling in the last panel, though, and I really hope this goes somewhere.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

IUG posted:

Fixed.

Or maybe X-iles.

Starring two new mutants named Mlder and Sully.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Pleased as punch that Laura and Synch are being stuck together on the same team. I was hoping we'd get some "he loves her, she barely knows who he is" antics in some book somewhere.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

rantmo posted:

Is anyone else reading Dr. Nemesis in Way of X with the voice of Dr. Krieger or is it just me?

Yes, always have, glad to not be alone in this.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

OnimaruXLR posted:

Out of everyone on the quiet council (and formerly on it) I'd only really trust Scott and Emma to get anything done. Their combined leadership from the New X-Men days roundabout through Utopia was fairly functional. Their failures feel more born out of the necessity for superhero drama than anything else.

Storm is a great individual actor, but she's very much the type to get caught up in details over big picture stuff. More of a "keep everyone alive under extreme duress" leader and less a "have everyone work together to achieve a complex task" leader.

This. Scott recusing himself from the island's ruling council was a big mistake. Between these three as a triumvirate I would absolutely trust them to competently run a micronation. Throw in Xavier as the world's foremost morally grey telepath to make other world leaders decide that antagonizing Krakoa is actually a stupid idea and baby you've got a stew going.

Oh and the other half of my thought, which ties into the "out of everyone on the quiet council" line, almost everyone else is on there for ego. All those villains with a semblance of authority? In theory that's got to be to keep their power-crazy asses from developing their own fiefdoms. Leave Magneto off the Quiet Council and your neighbouring island is called Island M within 2 months.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 5, 2021

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm just gonna sit here, breathe deeply, and repeat "nobody stays dead in X-Men for long" over and over til the pain goes away.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

synch isn't even the strongest proximity-based power duplicator. hope can do that effortlessly, as well as a bunch of other poorly-defined stuff too.

I really noticed during Planet-Size how much they use Hope to do basically everything, and yet she almost never appears on camera outside of being a plot device. Barely has any lines, doesn't get any laffs. I loved her as "a girl raised by Cable who's been fleeing from a murderer her entire life so she's better than you at everything but isn't usually obnoxious about it" and it's weird that she's practically the pin holding together the entire Krakoan system and yet is hardly a character anymore.

Also I too am totally bouncing off X-Corp until they figure out how to make running a business something actually worth reading about in a comic book. I did laugh out loud at the line "Nazi mutants (gently caress) off" though.
edit: Wait, they already figured out how to make a mutant business interesting. It's called Marauders. Why do we need X-Corp, again?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Way of X? More like Way to many fuckin ideas all crammed into one book. Exploring the consequences of the first "law" and the idea of what to do about mutants who want to be together but aren't compatible at a physiological level, and what it would really be like if we knew more about someone else on a core level than they would willingly share, those are all neat things to explore, but throwing some kinda evil psychic hate-monster into the mix at the same time, it's too much. Ten pounds of story in a five pound bag. I got whiplash reading it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I have no problem with the idea of Hickman setting a plan in motion, deciding he doesn't need to be hands-on for it anymore, and going to do something else. It's annoying that we'll likely never know to what extent this era of X-Men deviates from his overarching plan (obviously act 1 was extended way longer than he'd planned for, but that doesn't mean we're not going to hit every major beat in his plan eventually) but, you know, it's comics. It was never going to go on forever. There's always going to be books I like and books I don't, and if X-Men starts to suck again maybe Iron Man will become good again. Or, I dunno, maybe someone will write a Champions run I don't hate. You never know!

My own theory for how this era will end is they're gonna Dark Tower it: This turns out to be all Moira Life No. Whatever and she's going to die and drop us back at the beginning of her arc, only something pivotal will have changed - like maybe Nimrod gets erased from existence, taken out of the timeline entirely. And then we snap forward to the current year to be lined up with the rest of the Marvel line, and the first arcs of the new books explore how the X-Men's new world got to be the way it is now. They can make it more standard, like with an Xavier School in New York, but say this time around Genosha didn't get genocided and there's still a mutant homeland for anyone who wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I found it a bit hard to parse exactly what the gently caress was going on in Revelation but I enjoyed it, I guess. And I am all about that "Legionaries" cast.