Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cloks posted:

I read it but I can't remember how it happened.

A hallmark of a great story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wanderer posted:

I don't think they've ever explicitly said whether she is or not, but she had her powers from birth.

Her wiki is unclear whether she has the x-gene or not. I was always under the impression that she got her powers from being a fairy person or something.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I don't know who Reis is, but using him on New Mutants definitely gives that Sienkewicz vibe and it's loving great. Book looks fun, though I think all of these books will do better when they get past the expository poo poo explaining Krakoa. Is the "no thought bubbles" poo poo still an edict at Marvel? Or are they also not allowed to have omniscient narrator boxes? Because characters talking those things outloud is way worse.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I think the 'shocking' ending of X-Force has to be done purposely to elicit some of these reactions. Hickman has reiterated that mutant resurrection means death can't be used as a plot point and that there has to be stories beyond so-and-so is now dead. You can't have that sort of edict and then throw it out not even a month into your relaunch. Therefore, I think it's meant to be a wink at that sort of poo poo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mulva posted:

Literally none of these people are qualified to run a school for children properly

The gently caress are you talking about?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

really need to hook up with Lila Cheney.

-me, 1992

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
When asked why he was co-writing NM, he said there were elements critical to his plans in that book and I'm glad it only took one issue to reveal what that meant.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The first issue of X-Men I ever bought - not the first I read but the first I bought - was the one that had a crucified Wolverine hallucinating and being rescued by Jubilee

that was... a hell of a start

Still one of the best covers ever.

My brother started getting issues of Uncanny and New Mutants from the Osco in our tiny mall in 87 or 88. I don't remember which issue I read first but I do remember him not letting me read Inferno issues because demons or something.

First book I ever bought was Groo #33.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Minister of Sound posted:

The first comic I ever bought was Uncanny X-Men #205, and I got it for a dime at a garage sale. I can't imagine a worse X-Men comic for an animated-series-loving-7-year-old. The story doesn't match the cover, the POV character was someone I'd never heard of (Katie Power), the artwork was barely legible (deliberately, the story took place during a blizzard), and the only X-Man in the book is Wolverine, and he's mostly out of costume. I was so turned off that I didn't touch another super hero comic again until I was 13.

Today it's one of my favorite issues of anything.

Oh gently caress yeah the 2nd best X-Men book (after God Loves, Man Kills).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gologle posted:

Of all the mutants who have been brought back, I hope Stryfe stays dead. Or at least never appears on screen ever.

Technically, he deserves a place on the Summers Compound listening to Jean take turns pegging Logan and Scott.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

davebo posted:

I do have that one but I think the first comic I bought when I started buying them regularly was Groo #57. So once I fell in love with the genre of "slashing a million dudes to pieces" Wolverine was my next stop, who had recently started his own title and obviously uncanny x-men he was in too. When I graduated from "local record store comic book rack" to an actual comic book shop, that's when I started grabbing 80's x-men stories. But man, those Groo issues are timeless. Which I guess is a nice way of saying Sergio hasn't changed the formula at all in 35 years, but I still love them.

I've had to go back and get the last couple series after release, but other than about 20 issues in the first portion of the Epic run, I've got them all. One of my favorite books ever.

I even had some letters published!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

jng2058 posted:

It's totally explicable. You've got Proteus right there altering reality to make sure the person who comes out of the egg is the same one who died. Given the batshit crazy stuff we've seen Proteus do over the years putting some ink on Kate's fingers is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

It would be a great story if he misspelled poo poo after bringing her back.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Madkal posted:

My brothers and myself for instance. We just don't tell my mom about the tats

Kate's parents are dead, right?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Aphrodite posted:

Who, it should be noted, is from well in the future in those.

Except for the blackhole brain stuff...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

wiegieman posted:

I find it a little funny that the X-men have been making such a big deal about how important it is that they're mutants and different, while the x-books spend all their time showing how that doesn't matter in a world where people can modify their own genes and superscience themselves up whatever gadgets they want.

Which, come to think of it, might be the main point.

That seemed to be the main point of the first half of HoXPoX but then it seemed to move into other things like how Goldballs is God or something.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sploosh.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Went to my not-quite-local shop yesterday to catch up on the last few weeks I missed. X-Men #4 was the best. It's everything I wanted out of Hickman X-Men: a bunch of folks making veiled threats and cryptic discussions of future entanglements. If only East Of West had a few less of these...

And Marauders is probably the 2nd best book Marvel is publishing right now (Runaways loving slays). "Which nose would I return with?"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I believe that you will find that Sam is nigh invulnerable while he's blastin'.

Also there was that time he was actually immortal.

Fun fact: because of Krakoan Resurrection, everyone is an External now!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Aside from the various psychics she is by far the most terrifying x chatacter.

This is mostly Bendis?

I reread a bunch of Claremont stuff with her a few years ago and her characterization there was always the horror/demon princess thing but held back by a scared teenage girl. I don't think I noticed her as a heavily used character again until Bendis.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

galagazombie posted:

Magneto stating that Capitalism is the real enemy was bitchin', though I still wonder what exactly about the tenth life of Moira is supposed to be completely different from all previous attempts. House/Powers kept going on about something had to be different, but what really has besides us getting good writing for once? I thought they were going somewhere with robots since House/Powers had multiple asides about how Sentinels are inevitable but then a character or narrator saying "But what if them being anti-mutant isn't" but I haven't seen a single robot yet.

Yeah this is still bugging me, too.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Nessus posted:

The problem isn't Captain America and Iron Man, the problem is the Red Skull and Bolivar Trask.

I mean, if I'm some random mutant, I might make a distinction between thosee two sets of people here but Cap and Tony are still loving cops for humans, right? The argument of a group like BLM isn't that all loving cops are racist pieces of poo poo but that there's a lot of racist pieces of poo poo in the cops and a general institutional racism. The existence of Cap and Tony don't seem to be stopping state-sponsered anti-mutant bigotry so... why the gently caress would I support them?

galagazombie posted:

Like how in America racism against Germans, Irish, and Italians disappeared because once you could no longer tell them apart there was nothing really to be racist against.

Besides the fact that this isn't what happened with white immigration in the US, it ignores the fact that some groups will never be considered white. So you can give powers to every human or put cybernetic livers in them or whatever but they're still not mutants. That's explicit in the whole X-Men concept: in a world where there's literal gods and radioactive spider-bites, the distinction between those born with these powers DOES exist. Just as it's there for people in the real world born with certain skin color, or a certain orientation or what have you. Putting everyone in black face doesn't end loving racism.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Magneto brought a bunch of human representatives to Jerusalem to tell them that mutants were going to replace their big-G Gods. There's definitely an aspect of mutant superiority built into Krakoan society. It's honestly the only thing I can think of that actually might represent Moira X's "break the rules" thing: an acceptance by Xavier that he IS better than humanity, and an acceptance by Magneto and Apocalypse that superiority does not necessarily mean oppression.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

twistedmentat posted:

I noticed Xavier does seem to act like humanity is a monolithic entity. As of what Roxxon does is the fault of people living in Hungary.

Again, when you're constantly being attacked and murdered... at what point do you just be like "OK, gently caress all of these people." It's not a monolithic thing as much as it is a systemic thing. I think the BLM comparison fits: not all cops are shooting and killing unarmed African American people- a very small minority are!- but when it happens enough, it's obviously something in the system that keeps causing this. To fix systemic issues, you tackle the whole system because focusing on individual actors clearly isn't working.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

twistedmentat posted:

I just chose Hungary as an example, but there isn't much that the average person can do to stop Roxxon or the Purifiers or AIM or Hydra or Dr Doom or The Serpent Society from attacking mutants. That being said, not being able to directly effect them isn't an excuse to just kind of not say anything. It would be nice to have Kate show up and find Black Panther with a bunch of Mutants from Africa and say "hey I rescued them from Klaw, and please take them to Karkoa, and Wakanda respects Mutants rights as human rights" or something like that. We haven't seen the heroes reaction to this stuff, even heroes that are known to be mutant positive like Spider-Man or Captain Marvel, but I did get a sense at the meeting with the human leaders, most of them were acting in good faith, except the Americans who will never not take the opportunity to try to take someone they are afraid of, no matter what the casualties are going to be.

Yeah, see, the mutant metaphor isn't "What if supervillains attacked marginalized people?" It's "These characters represent marginalized people and the struggles they deal with daily." The point of the whole thing is that the X-Men's greatest enemy are the average person and their bigoted position on mutants. And what DoX seems to be trying to tackle is a shift in that outward bigotry to confronting the systemic bigotry, similar to how social scientists in the last couple decades have (correctly) pointed out that overt and individual bigoted acts are symptoms of deeper systems.

So again: if you're a mutant who has gone through this- who may have at one point been murdered by sentinels or depowered (BY AN AVENGER) or had to listen to a US senator suggesting you belong in a goddamn concentration camp- why the gently caress would you trust the FF or Black Panther or whoever to loving save you? Because they loving haven't. Yeah maybe they fought the Red Skull once to help the X-Men but that's not helping the broader mutant population.

Also, we've seen heroes reactions to this in literally the first issue of HoX: the FF basically told Scott this was a bad idea. So there's your good-guy reaction to their decision: "Why are you messing with the status quo!?!?"

I like the idea of the FF and Avengers as good guys doing good things. But I also like well-crafted stories that are antagonistic to them. I'm with folks here who have questioned the 100% unified reaction to Krakoa by mutantdom, but I'm all for the new reality of mutants finally pushing back en masse.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
OH NO NEW CHARACTERS

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

One bit of head cannon I like, but haven't thought about too closely is the reason when Spider-Man first put on his costume they had 1960s technology and now, a decade later they have 2020 technology is that behind the scenes people like Stark and Richard's were actually pushing technology further and faster than it developed in the real world.

This is good!

Edge & Christian posted:

So does that mean that all current Marvel comics take place in the early 1970s, or was there a behind the scenes conspiracy that meant the microchip and civil rights weren't invented until 2010?

When Waid moved all of the Korean/Vietnam vet characters (including, I'm assuming, Xavier) from those real-world conflicts to a pretty loving racist fake Southeast Asian War, I thought Marvel's moving timeline thing kind of broke. A far easier thing to do is to keep all Marvel stories taking place nebulously in the mid-70s to late-80s, with technology and culture moving forward similar to the way Skwirl mentioned. Instead of time moving forward, time standing still and everything else moving forward.

I also very much liked that the rumors from a few years ago that the FF and X-Men were going to be relaunched as books in the 60s, with the Avengers and other books taking place in modern times. I would have bought the gently caress out of those books.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Only I, a hard man of science, can make these decisions, because it is the right thing."

*spectacularly fucks up beyond your wildest dreams*

This is the best characterization of Hank I've seen...

That said, Marvel has made it clear that smart people are constantly loving up. Reed made a loving superhero prison and lol Tony during Civil War.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

the Vanisher.

This guy is great because he's definitely one of those characters who Warren Ellis would interpret his powers as being literally unstoppable.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kingtheninja posted:

Some new stuff tomorrow if I'm reading it right. Wolverine and giant size?

Zdarsky's FF/X-Men book too

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

jng2058 posted:

I think it's also likely that she was naturally attractive, and had chosen to have Masque make her look harder as part of that whole "Morlocks live apart from humanity and we wear that on our intentionally ugly faces" thing they had going before most of them died in the Massacre.

I was wracking my brain about "callisto being a model" and when that was so thanks for the trip down memory lane. Another reminder of how loving weird uncanny was between issue 250 and claremont leaving. 30 issues of the best selling comic in the world where the team doesn't actually appear in like 28 of those issues.

If I remember right, part of her origin was that she was attractive then got into an accident and realized that the world loving sucks when you're not pretty. I believe it was her motivation for joining (co-founding?) the morlocks.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cocks Cable posted:

Have they resurrected Destiny?

I'm pretty sure that would be an on-page thing, since Moira made a big loving deal about it at the end of HoX. So... no.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cocks Cable posted:

Ah that's sad to hear. Even though Mystique is often a rat bastard of a villain, the thought of her finally reunited with Destiny after like 3 decades really tugs at my heart strings.

You got some of that in HoX #2...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Beerdeer posted:

I started reading the original X-Force last night and the art was just painful. I don't get why Liefeld was so idolized. Is there a good history of that period?

Jim Rugg and Ed "X-Men Grand Design" Piskor have a YouTube channel called Cartoonist Kayfabe that started as a way to go through Wizard Magazine issues, starting with Number 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

It's my favorite comics-related internet thing to listen to, as they're covering poo poo that they read as like 8 and 10 year olds like I was around then. But there's a lot of pro-Image guys homerism that's fun, and a lot of background on just what was happening at the time in mainstream comics. Also some great breakdowns of the indie poo poo that was happening via their Palmer's Picks reviews.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, you had Frank Miller doing Daredevil, Sceinkawitz on New Mutants, Walt Simonson on Thor before Lee and Liefeld, so I don't think you can say Marvel has a very specific house style in the 80s. I don't know as much about DC, but you had similar stuff with the books that would eventually become Vertigo.

Yeah the idea that the Image guys were somehow bucking a house style is some revisionist stuff. JRJR was refining his style on DD with Nocenti. Simonson was on FF. Silvestri certainly didn't fit any conventional style. Art Adams was doing regular books. Even Blevins- who preceded Liefeld on NM- had a cartoony feel to him.

DC certainly felt more traditional at the time, with Jurgens and Aparo and Perez. But you also had early Adam Hughes and Bart Sears doing Justice League work that sold well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

In that case, assuming they didn't scrap the part where he's stuck in the psychic realm (which they probably did), if they did just grow Fantomex a new body and uploaded his most recent consciousness in Cerebro, does that mean there could be two of him? I doubt they'd cover this in X-Factor but it's interesting to think about

Fantomex isn't a mutant so at this point, we can assume he isn't in Cerebro (until they hint that non-mutants are).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean if we're spitballing Charles could just have Eva take him to the past for a scan of anyone he's missing.

Ok, Dr. McCoy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

Has there been any consensus on how long Cerebro has been 'backing up' mutants?

Moira's diary entries in the last HoX issue very clearly states that the Resurrection idea was Chuck's, but implied they needed the right mutants to make it work. One of those issues also has Chuck talking to Forge about upgraded Cerebro. So the question is does Xavier know about Forge through Moira's previous lives or does he develop the Resurrection system after meeting Forge?

Either way I think it is safe to assume that the Resurrection system happens later in the timeline, well into the OG5 period or maybe as late as the Death in Dallas stuff.

Also: these characters went through some poo poo before Krakoa.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dawgstar posted:

The last FF/X-Men miniseries started off with Reed looking like a horrible person too, so it'll be interesting to see if they're parallels.

Daredevil is always tortured by life. Spidey always sacrifices. Sam is always nigh-invulnerable when blastin'. Reed always fucks up because being smart means being unable to understand human nature.

These are the basic characterizations of the Marvel Universe.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dawgstar posted:

Lockheed on Emma's shoulder.

Thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If only No Prizes still existed! We'd all win!