Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
breXit-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1233501945593311234?s=20

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ten of Swords sounds like the tarot stuff at the start of PoX.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm actually curious about the proportion of Sentinel stories in which the Sentinels are explicitly funded and directed by the US government vs. stories in which the Sentinels are a rogue element or controlled by some private organization or bad-guy.
This reminded me that in their first appearance it takes the Sentinels almost a full page to go rogue after being introduced.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Magneto made some accurate observations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I could see it being annoying if you are only getting a couple X-Men books
This is exactly why I'm annoyed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

If you don't already own Fallen Angels don't bother getting it. It's not good and barely referenced in the other books.

I don't plan on reading it but what was bad about it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did those New Warriors comics with Safe Space and Screen Time ever come out, or was that stuff scuttled before publication?

Hasn't come out. Hard to know how much is a result of the comic itself and how much is a result of the pandemic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rochallor posted:

It does feel strange that all of the "cyber-humans as mankind's answer to mutation" stuff basically hasn't come up since HoXPoX. Weren't we supposed to be getting a chimeras book before covid happened?

We were meant to be getting a Moira book at some point too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

New Mutants is a bit inconsistent too, partly because of the changing writing team.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

danbanana posted:

MARVEL DO A SPORTS-MANGA-STYLE X BOOK YOU COWARDS

X Games no wait a minute

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've been trying to catch up on stuff so I can start XoS and I've found some of the Dawn of X stuff to be less friendly to new readers than I expected.

Hickman's main title has been fine for some issues but I felt a bit lost for the issues dealing with Broo and I had no idea at all what was going on with Vulcan in #9. Excalibur was a little better in that it has a consistent focus, and while I really liked the first issue of X-Factor I didn't really get the Mojoworld stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

danbanana posted:

Likewise, Han doesn't need to be a killer (on screen) for you to know he's a shady dude. They literally find him in a place described as "a wretched hive of scum and villany."

Up until then we'd only seen him spout a bunch of bullshit. Having him shoot first tells the audience he might be more than that, both in terms of his shadiness and in his abilities.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm still a bit behind but has there been a followup to that ominous bit in Powers of X #4 where Doug touches the plants on Krakoa and they start to change?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Morlocks are living in Arizona aren't they?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm almost up to Stasis in XoS.

Is the first Hellions issue (#5) representative of the earlier issues of the title? Because it was hilarious and awesome and I would like to read more like it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I was reading most of the line up to the end of XoS but thanks to the last lockdown I fell behind on my X-reading. Went to the store recently and picked up a giant stack of issues that had been accumulating from my pull list.

I could use some help catching up. Not so much in terms of plot etc, but some idea of what new books are worth reading (anything post XoS except for SWORD, which I have), what events to look out for, that kind of thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

X-Corp is pretty skippable, but I do suggest reading all the Hellfire Gala books just because. The Empyre: X-Men mini was fun. That was after XoS, right?

Just before. I read the tie-ins issues in the main X-Men title (hated the Vulcan one, loved the Magneto one) but didn't read the mini.

Hellfire Gala was something I heard about, I think there's a collection coming out very soon?

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 3, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How is/was Way of X?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

Isca v Domino

Isca vs Squirrel Girl.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

Given how Squirrel Girl stories go, I feel like Isca would be compelled to immediately befriend her.

Yeah I want to see that, I think it'd be fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wasn't Civil War 2 timed to coincide with the Civil War movie?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I'd be really interested to get your perspective as somebody starting with hoxpox; I know it's intended as a jumping on point but it's drawing from so much other stuff I imagine it's a really interesting way to get onboard.

I'd read early X-Men (up to the introduction of the Phoenix?) before Hoxpox but that was about it, beyond knowing the movies and what I'd picked up from TV/movies, other comics, and general discussion.

Hoxpox itself worked as a jumping on point because of that but the rest was hit and miss. Things like the Brood or (especially) Vulcan in Hickman's run fell absolutely flat for me and are some of my least favourite issues of the Krakoa era that I've read. Excalibur was a lot to take in and I'm still not sure how much I liked it overall (I dropped it some time after XoS).

The stuff I've enjoyed most has been the more Krakoa-specific things like Hellions, SWORD, X-Factor, Immortal and Red. Marauders was okay but I think the people who were big fans of it were more attached to the characters than I was.

With that being said I'm a bit behind (after Inferno, before Judgement Day) and am wondering what things other than Duggan's main title, Immortal and Red are worth picking up. People liked X-Terminators I think?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Parallax posted:

i fell off the krakoa era in the middle of x of swords. are there any must reads between then and now? i have kept up with some stuff like way of x and x-men red, but it feels like there's been around 50 different series launched and ended since then
Hellions if you weren't reading it at the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Wait, what? We're not getting the Hickman payoff at the end? I've been patiently waiting for that since hoxpox

Even before Hickman left the plan had changed radically with respect to Moira since hoxpox wasn't written with her as a villain in mind.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It's just comic writer brainworms tbh

Hickman pitches it as "death doesn't matter, so now you have to be more creative and stop doing cheap, meaningless deaths for drama." So they just kill characters a lot anyway.

To be honest on rereading House of X that's exactly what the Orchis mission felt like to me. The reader hasn't been introduced to resurrection yet but Xavier's reaction seemed like an overreaction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Moira's heel turn was something that was decided on after Hoxpox but before Hickman decided to leave wasn't it? I'm not clear on the timing of everything behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Veg posted:

Moira turned heel during Inferno.

Yeah but interviews like this make it sound like it had been planned much, much earlier.

quote:

So how far back does her heel turn go? Quite a ways. Did it go back to the beginning? The answer is no — it did not go back all the way to House of X and Powers of X. It was a thing he came up with later, but it wasn’t that much later.
In the original stuff, she was not going to end up where she is now. Like literally going, “I hate Krakoa and I want to murder everybody I used to be friends with.” Without going into too much detail, it was at the same time as the Moira series died is when that happened. X-Men Monday fans remember that we at one point were talking about a Moira series. We had talked to Al Ewing about it. He had a pitch for it. Like, it was good, but then Jonathan’s plans shifted pretty radically and it became, “Oh, actually, instead of doing that, I’m going to do this. Sorry, Al, let’s get you another book.” And the direction that Moira was going in shifted in a big way.