Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I loving love Storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

It also did a good job of selling why apocalypse of all people would get on board with the initiative: it’s a very civilized version of survival of the fittest.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

I mean it helps that it's New Mutants all of whom aren't particular super powered. Bobby is arguably the hardest to kill and he's pretty easy if you time it right or are really dedicated.

I believe that you will find that Sam is nigh invulnerable while he's blastin'.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Needs more gay subtext.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 6, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Magneto stating that Capitalism is the real enemy was bitchin', though I still wonder what exactly about the tenth life of Moira is supposed to be completely different from all previous attempts. House/Powers kept going on about something had to be different, but what really has besides us getting good writing for once? I thought they were going somewhere with robots since House/Powers had multiple asides about how Sentinels are inevitable but then a character or narrator saying "But what if them being anti-mutant isn't" but I haven't seen a single robot yet.

In the direct sense, the thing that makes Moira's plan different this time is that instead of following down the road of Charles's dream (Life 4), Magneto's vision (life 8) or Apocalypse's vision (Life 9) she has instead united them in a single cause.

In the more nebulous sense, given that we learned in Life 6 that mutants are always predestined to fail because simple biological evolution can't compete with human social/technical revolution, I'm guessing that her eventual plan is to tame human social progress, either by limiting/pacifying humanity through carrots and sticks, or by spurring mutant social and technical progress to outcompete humanity's.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

A Broo one-shot?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I didn't expect shaw to make a move so quickly, any theories on what our fearless pirate captain will do?

I mean, float. Eventually.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I dunno, there's stuff that doesn't follow this model. Like "Tony Stark has an AI assistant in his suit" has become a baked-in part of the character due to a combination of the movies, and the fact that it just makes sense in the context of modern technology. The nature of the AI assistant frequently changes run by run, but it's pretty much always a part of the character these days.

And then you’ve got Wolverine ‘s long evolution from “moody loner with a mysterious past” to “every young mutant girl’s cool stepdad with an extensively documented past AND future.”

Or Magneto, where it’s the attempts to revert him back to the status quo that never end up sticking.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 31, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Early Liefeld had this crazy stylized charm to it. At the time, Marvel and DC both had very specific house styles, with characters drawn very strictly to model sheets, that made guys like Liefeld and McFarlane really stand out.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I always love thinking about the canonical degrees earned by the various x-men at the School for Gifted Mutants.

Cyclops is mathematics, I think?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Yeah Bobby is a CPA, and Hank McCoy presumably has multiple doctorates. Claremont would bring up Scott’s math major from time to time to justify the sick angles he could bounce his eyebeams at.

Was Jean also into medicine?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Parallax posted:

couldn't a telepath peacefully cut their brains off or something

Yeah, but this way it's a self-sorting mechanism. Depowered mutants could just painlessly kill themselves, but then they're at the back of the queue behind 16 million Genoshans. The council could self-select depowered mutants with useful abilities, but then you're introducing a concrete class-based system into Krakoa; friends of the X-men vs. everyone else.

With the Crucible, if you want to regain powers, you have to really want to regain powers; it simultaneously keeps the numbers manageable while ensuring that more useful mutants regain powers first. It's a very Apocalypse solution to the problem.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Krakoan culture does strike me as being set up to be deeply hosed up, from the fact that everyone blames Wanda for the Decimation when a not-small part of her issues are Magneto's fault, and now this Crucible stuff, and the fact that they've got freaking Exodus being responsible for teaching kids literally anything, but... the kinda poo poo that society at large believes in the homo sapiens world is pretty hosed up too, so you can't just roll your eyes and go "That would never happen!"

I mean, they invited Mr. loving Sinister into a position of power. The poison is in Krakoa's very bones.

This doesn't end happily.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I need Quentin Quire wielding a telekinetic machine gun that fires telekinetic swords.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I have a question (and maybe this has been answered already, if not, no biggie).

Is the current X-Men run in it's own timeline (like for example Age of Apocalypse) or is this still the same X-Men timeline that started with X-Men #1? I was confused because the Life of Moira stuff makes me think that this is a new timeline, but I'm not 100% sure.

It seems to be the current, real Marvel continuity, and has been the entire time.

The idea is that everything that happened in previous X-men continuity really happened, but some of it has been retconned into having different underlying reasons. Moira manipulated events, or convinced Charles to manipulate events (including possibly selectively editing his own memories) to ensure that the X-men would be in a position to exploit Krakoa at the moment that Moira predicted the Sentinel-tech tipping point would come.

Also, props to X-men number 8 for reminding everyone that his name is Blackagar Boltagon.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 11, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Who's the blue dude next to Penance (who I guess started going by Hollow at some point)? It's in the fold for my comic so I can't even get a good look at him.

That's Maggott.

There's a couple watching Dazzler right up against the stage; guy with hair that looks like blue flame. Does he have his arm around Negasonic Teenage Warhead?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I did love the first few issues of Marauders referencing her canonical love of gaudy accessorization.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

'Cause he's the best there is at what he...

yeah, I got nothin.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

nope

to me it feels like he wanted to show "Krakoa and crew are not invincible or untouchable, element of surprise and information asymmetry are still a factor that can beat them"

And then he did it like, 3 more times in a row by introducing multiple nameless mooks with power-dampening weaponry.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

And like the first issue of X-Force had the new model Reavers dropping in. I don't mind if, say, Reed is smart enough to do it but like anybody can swing by.

I mean, it kind of had to happen because Hickman started a new X-men run by benching the Sentinel program and then making 90% of the X-men's traditionally powered foes into allies; writers pretty much had to rear end-pull reasons why nameless mooks would be a credible threat in order to get things moving. It's just funny that it happened in basically every book for the first month after PoX/HoX.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Excalibur reads better the second go through, when you have the context for who all these (mostly non-Xmen) characters are and what they're going on about.

It took me forever to figure out Betsy was ghosting her old body at the party.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I'm willing to give Hickman a lot of leeway on things like Vulcan since one of the explicit goals of Dawn of X seems to be to un-gently caress certain legacy X-men characters who got rendered virtually unusable thanks to lovely deaths and/or years of cumulative bad storytelling.

Speaking of which; has Warren Worthington shown up on Krakoa yet?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I'm pretty sure they were clear what happened to Pyro :v:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

So if I'm understanding right in Excalibur, Jaime split off reality to create a scenario in which Betsy dies and new Captains Britain are created, presumably to have his own team, or depending on how many times he's doing this, army?

Yes.

But also secretly because the artist wanted to draw Jubilee in the Union Jack.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Quentin Quire is great when used appropriately, and him getting endlessly dunked on while he tries to dunk on other people is him being used appropriately.

QQ getting spit out of the Siege Perilous is one of my top 20 X-men moments.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I'm pretty sure The Blue Spot on the Moon is the name of Cyclops's polycule.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

After being burned on Fallen Angels, I'm not entirely sure I want to risk checking out Hellions, but maybe some of you did? With two issues out, how is it?

It's not as bad as Fallen Angels, but let me put it this way; with literally every single character from all of X-men history on the table, how excited are you to read the new adventures of Nanny and Orphan-maker?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

X-Factor is real loving good, y'all.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Gologle posted:

Also, I had no idea Rachel could do that. This character is so OP.

People always forget, but that's her original mutant power. It's how she Days of Future Past'd the Days of Future Past.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

I thought the implication was that Colossus lied and told them she requested the torture memories be removed.

Seems to be the case. Either that, or someone up the line in the Krakoan hierarchy made an executive decision that she'd be a better soldier with less baggage.

We know it wasn't her idea, because her literal last words were the opposite.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Rahne always felt coded as deeply closeted to me, so sure.

Although she's apparently always been an orbosexual.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 25, 2020

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I wonder how long it'll take the artists on other books to notice that Rachel doesn't have her hound marks anymore. With resurrection, all these lil' details tend to pop up.

Probably as long as it took the different writers to decide whether there were three or five cuckoos.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Two were dead for a long time

Yeah, but one of them got better pre-Krakoa.

It's just funny because for a while there they were showing up in background shots in a lot of post-HoX comics, and it was kind of random whether it would be 3 or 5. Even in the same comic line sometimes; there's 5 in the first issue of Marauders, but only 3 later on. I guess the other two were snogging Cable and Quentin Quire.

I think one comic specifically called them the "Three in One", but I don't remember which one.

Rick posted:

I wonder if Rachel’s future even still exists post Secret Wars.

I don't think it's possible for Rachel's future to have existed for a long time, not least because she was married to Franklin Richards who has rewritten his own future an endless number of times over since then.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Toad #1

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

When was the last time Beast wasn't written to be a total shitbag? When he was running around in space with his green-haired girlfriend?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I think that for sure Maruaders and X-Factor are the stand-outs. Excalibur is fun too but it doesn't feel especially based in finding interesting wrinkles of Hickman's premise.
Cable is stellar so far as well.

(untitled) X-Men can be hit or miss, but some of the hits are enormous. I would read an entire comic line of Magneto Eats Steak.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Madeline Pryor got done dirty.

I'm deeply amused by the implication that Empath was put on the team specifically to be murdered as a form of joint catharsis and team-building

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Storm would probably be even more important than she is for the book.
most def.

The amount that Chris Claremont was horny for Storm literally cannot be overstated. I started reading the entire Claremont era from Giant Sized forward in quarantine and from her first appearance ( in which she is topless) through the dark Phoenix saga ( which happens much earlier than I thought) she managed to get in 3-4 shower scenes.

It’s wild.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

danbanana posted:

Step 1. Find someone who looks just like my dead girlfriend.
Step 2. Marry her.
Step 3. ...

Step 67. Success! Just how I planned it!

I mean, he's barbecuing for his future-kids and his space-wife and her boyfriend in a garden on the moon, with occasional bouts of Philly cheesesteak.

Dude is doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Empath is resurrected from the alternate universe where he was a purple-haired female Asian assassin.