Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm not sold right away on Excalibur. I like the cast but not sure I'll be interested enough in the story to keep it up. I'll ride out the initial arc though and see how I feel.

Sidenote: when did Betsy get her old body back and how? I assume current "psylocke" is kwannon in her original body and Betsy being the new Britain is a way to keep both around.

I believe it was during Hunt for Wolverine : Mystery in Madripoor. I read it but I can't remember how it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What's up with Warlock? Is he just Doug's arm now or can we expect him to be back at any point?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Honest question: why can't Magik just teleport all of them to Sam?

It'd be a much less interesting book.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The Rocket series is worth reading in its entirety. Unless you really don't like Deadpool.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
My first X-Men was the Essential collection, starting with Giant Size #1. Somewhat inexplicably, Banshee was my favorite character.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The scene in New Mutants where everyone is hanging around playing cards is exactly what I want out of these X-Men books. I love Magik's line about not having a formal education.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Open Marriage Night posted:

People are saying the big figure in the back isn’t Havok but the Living Monolith.

I’m still waiting for the return of Unus the Untouchable

His character is really hard to get a grip on.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

Josh Casserly's art on X-Force and Ron Reis' art on New Mutants are such amazing compliments to their respective tones and storytelling.

Yeah, Ron Reis seems like a great stylistic follow-up to Sienkiewicz.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Very good X-books this week. It's great to see a coherent X-Men line.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

How Wonderful! posted:

Fallen Angels was of course wretched but I wonder if I'm the only person who also strongly dislikes the non-Hickman months of New Mutants. It started off fine but it feels mean-spirited in a way that none of the other books do except perhaps X-Force which works as pitch-black comedy.

I feel it might be better if it wasn't the same book as Hickman's which is infinitely superior.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Open Marriage Night posted:

55 total issues in the current X-Men line. And I just now noticed that after the first six issues, there is no longer a reading order page in the books.

Slipped the card with the Krakoan alphabet into a bag and board and put it in the box, so I don’t have to rely on my phone when reading in the future.

I think they had one in New Mutants this week?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

I thought he was a mutant, an alien one, but still a mutant, like Broo or Warlock, but I admit I don't really know.

It does feel kinda lovely that they're leaving out people who were longstanding members of the team because of a genetics question when they've risked their lives countless times for the protection of mutants.

Also really hosed up they brought back Pyro before John Proudstar.

To be fair, Pyro was a test run.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

How Wonderful! posted:

I was trying to think of mutant lawyers and could only come up with the guy from X-Statix off the top of my head, which got me thinking about the spin-off that's supposed to be coming out this year and how interesting the Krakoa stuff could be in the context of that team's pretty enormous body-count. What I'm saying is Bring Back Bloke.

I've been thinking about how X-Statix is going to work with krakoan resurrection and my guess is they'll just say they're the absolute lowest priority for being brought back.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

most of the team came back already in the Giant Sized X-Statix special last year (Guy Smith, Dead Girl, Doop and Vivisector) along with Tike's son, Phat's unclear relative and U-Go Girl's daughter. they're gonna have a new series starting this year.

Oh yeah, I read that - I meant specifically U-Go Girl because her death is so important to Mister Sensitive and having the ability to just bring her back would change all of that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is Doop currently dead and if so why isn’t he at the top of the queue?

He's been in group shots. He was at Xavier's funeral.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

Anyone whose been waiting on Hickman's stuff, all of House of X and Powers of X is on Unlimited now, with a reading order guide.

I have all the issues but I might use it for a re read until we start getting new comics again just to avoid digging through long boxes.

If you're a sucker, like I am, the hardcover collecting the series is really nice even if you already have the floppies.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

God dang, that first Magik suit is awesome. Somebody @ Leah Williams, she's one of the go-to Magik writers right now.

How has nobody ever gone back to it?

It really sucks that it seems like they circle back to the original costume for the new mutants (or at least some kind of uniform, I remember the Academy X days). Or is that just me?

I spent way too much to hang out with her for a night, I'll bring it up.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Spent 4 hours hanging out with Leah Williams on zoom Saturday night and she swore me to secrecy on a lot of stuff but X-Factor looks good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
BAMF stands for bad rear end mother fucker

I've been reading X-Men from Giant Size #1 and I'm closing in on 200 and holy poo poo, there's a point where it just becomes and absolute joy to read. I struggled through the first for forty or so issues of the original run and it was miserable but it's great to see the relationships and characters that'll matter for decades get definition and interact in interesting ways.

One of the biggest huh? moments for me has been Rachel just appearing and sticking around, just kind of hanging out with the team but I like how organic the story feels.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't know if you're reading annuals and other concurrent stuff but IIRC before she shows up in the main Uncanny X-Men title she has one appearance in New Mutants #18 that is kind of important and then she shows up in UXM Annual #8 just lingering in a crowd scene but it's got beautiful Steve Leialoha art so I want to mention it anyway.

I'm reading annuals and minis but I'm catching up on New Mutants right now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

Am I misreading the new comics list or are there no new X books tomorrow?

Not until July, unfortunately.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Also Empyre has a lot to do with the blue spot on the moon which will probably impact Cyclops' polycule.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Saoshyant posted:

After being burned on Fallen Angels, I'm not entirely sure I want to risk checking out Hellions, but maybe some of you did? With two issues out, how is it?

I'm really enjoying it, I laughed out loud at the second issue.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

Hey, Quentin's gimmick isn't getting murdered by his teammates, it's getting murdered by the environment

Didn't Wolverine merc him in Wolverine?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

When I met with Leah for a zoom hangout a few months ago, she showed us this page because my buddy said something that was literally dialogue on it.

Leah is so excited to be doing X-Factor and this issue was so good. Other than Fallen Angels, it's a good time to be an X-Fan.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Roth posted:

It hasn't started yet, so I don't think most people have much of an opinion on the actual story.

Just exhaustion looking at the checklist of 22 tie-ins.

Alternatively, there are 3 additional books for the X line.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New Mutants is a bit inconsistent too, partly because of the changing writing team.

The Hickman issues were great and the others definitely were. I'm hoping the new writer brings the quality back up.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Magik Uh-Magik.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
X-Men was fantastic this week.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
SWORD owns. Glad they got Ewing for this.

Marauders also good.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

X-Factor wasn’t even that good. I’m not afraid to say it. I couldn’t finish the first epic collection and am hoping the Simonson run is better.

The Peter David X-Factor is great.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
One thing X of Swords did is create a power vacuum on the council and definitely set up for a future where apocalypse's return will feel triumphant.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It takes real strength to vote for Strong Guy, a character who hasn't had a single line since before Dawn of X.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

I wanna know who's plans would've been hosed up by Marrow or Tempo winning?

Hellions or SWORD, maybe? Maaaaybe?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been reading Inferno for the first time this evening and wow, this delivers in a way that modern Marvel crossovers really don't by paying off several long running threads simultaneously. It feels like a legitimate moment of growth and change for a lot of characters.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Wait for the reveal that this team IS the new X-men

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just re-read Rosenberg's run and it does read differently with the knowledge he presumably had of what was coming but it's still really bad.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh, it's a transphobic, plodding mess. I'm not debating that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Rod Reis feels like an artistic heir to Sienkiewicz and I'm really enjoying that. His studied yet loose brush is really interesting to look at and his experiments with color in the most recent issue were a joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hordiculture.