Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Edge & Christian posted:

That has literally never stopped any corporation with intellectual property rights before but go off! This is a company that does a desultory revamp of the New Universe, Exiles, etc. every seven years.

Exiles ruled. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I want to see a character themselves acknowledge that they have no idea why or how they're back.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I want to see everyone vote for Krakoa itself as a joke, and it ends up winning more votes than anyone else.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Honestly, looking back at Generation X, it's kind of amazing that the whole St. Croix story ended up as coherent as it did - convoluted, yes, but given that it's basically a string of retcons on top of retcons, none of which particularly resemble the original plans for the characters, it hangs together fairly well.

I do wish we got more of the twins in later stories - given that they were 'Monet' for most of the series, it's a shame they've all but disappeared compared to the 'real' Monet.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galagazombie posted:

That's why I don't understand the people who say Morrison "ruined" Magneto or whatever. He was critiquing the character as he had been written for more than a decade at that point. It's not like Morrison came in the day Claremont left and said "I'm gonna make Magneto evil and spite all his character development! Mwahaha!". That was a done deal long long before Morrison came on board.

"Other people were writing terrible stories so I did the same thing but turned it up to eleven" isn't really a great excuse.

(And Morrison's run already had Cassandra Nova as a genocidal supervillain who's seemingly motivated by nothing other than evil, so it's not like his take on Magneto really brought anything new to the table, even in the context of his own work...)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Stop! Pretender! We don't speak her name!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Saoshyant posted:

How did no one post that the complete Summers family tree (alternate realities, including) has finally been revealed this week!?

from X-Men Legends #02 (2021)

*googles character*

*looks again at chart*

Oh, I get it, the line's meant to go under the portrait, and Ruby's the daughter of Emma Frost and Cyclops, not Emma Frost and Madelyn.

Well that's a lot less interesting...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

How Wonderful! posted:

Sara Grey's kids were mutants too, although to my knowledge their powers were never revealed.

Nanny gave them both the codename "Shatter-Box", which might indicate they both had the same powers, but yeah, we never actually saw them do anything.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Plus, Heroes Reborn led to Thunderbolts, which was awesome. Let me know when Knull even indirectly leads to anything good.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I cannot believe I just read a comic where Stacy-X was an interesting character.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Between the portrayal of Magneto and all the Sublime nonsense, there's an awful lot of garbage in the Morrison run.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
And also Israel had no indigenous people and was an island in the middle of nowhere. So, not a lot like Israel, then.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Scott's death didnt seem like that public. They could just have taken his body away and say they fixed him up. vOv

"His mutant healing factor kicked in and restored him!"

"But Cyclops doesn't have a healing factor?"

"...secondary mutation?"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Diet Poison posted:

I'm still enjoying adjectiveless X-Men but I don't think Duggan has a handle on Laura in the slightest. Also when did they give her a full metal skeleton? That's stupid; it was what made her a quicker healer and more acrobatic fighter than Logan. Not to mention the as-mentioned fatal weakness to open water wasn't a thing for her before.

I like to imagine the Five screwed up. "Look, we're resurrecting hundreds of people a day. Now Proteus here said he was pretty sure that both Wolverines had metal skeletons, it sounded right to the rest of us, we didn't have time to check. Now let's be honest, Chuck's probably going to send you on another suicide run by the end of the week, we'll try and get it right next time we revive you."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
He could always just whip up a clone of Leech or one of the other power-dampening mutants.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Axis gave us Friendly Neighborhood Carnage, I will always treasure it for that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What are the rules for dwarf planets?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

wiegieman posted:

I think it's safe to say that Magneto's powers are "whatever you can show with a pink energy field and make up a Magnetism buzzword for."

Magneto's actually a reality warper like Wanda, he just doesn't realize it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
And Destiny being the Irene Adler has been implied for decades now.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Adder Moray posted:

He mispronounced it, only realized he did later, then refused correct himself out of embarrassment

He wiped everyone's minds to erase their memories of all the times Xuân tried to correct him.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Edge & Christian posted:

X-Factor #6 is the first issue Louise Simonson wrote, which retconned the planned shadowy mastermind into a new character, Apocalypse. Previously Layton was going to have it be The Owl.

Why haven't we ever gotten an Age of the Owl alternate universe?!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Saoshyant posted:

This chat about Xavier not being written in ages without just being a Machiavellian rear end in a top hat in the story's core made me actually seek out those Infinity comics no one reads.

It had a recent on-going where Nightmare, who got foiled by Jean Grey a while ago, came back for vengeance and got Charlie stuck on the Age of Apocalypse. That could have been a bad idea for a plot, but I actually rather liked it. He had obviously to survive there, and end up revising his thinking on Sabertooth, his own place in the world (considering he's been super isolated lately), and in the end even came up with a new dream that would make Hickman proud. Good stuff. This is Charles Xavier, not just a jerk.

Yeah, it was a really good story. Plus, it was neat to get confirmation that AoA Moira also reincarnates.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

rantmo posted:

That's absolutely not the case with Warlock, at least. Broo I'm less confidant about. I'm pretty sure that the x-gene is earth based though, there are non-humans with the x-gene but they're all at least partially human so far as I can recall. Which non-humans have the x-gene?

Weren't the Skrull Cadre-K written as capital-M Mutants? Really like to see them come back on Krakoa.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Absolutely. Age of Apocalypse and Days of Future Past were meant to be changing the 'real' timeline, not just divergences, but they've long since been retconned into alternate earths.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Android Blues posted:

The Technet generally are just the Claremont's kinks brigade. There's Joyboy, obviously, whose power is essentially a catch-all for "transform someone's body in a weird way", but then China Doll who shrinks people, Bodybag who's a huge lizard who swallows people and holds them inside his body harmlessly, Waxworks who incapacitates people by making their bones floppy, Fascination who hypnotises people by overwhelming their pleasure centres - it's all just a total freeform of paraphilia superpowers. And then you have Gatecrasher, the leader, who's just a totally normal superhero comics character who sees nothing at all odd about her team of DeviantArt mercenaries.

The Technet were originally from Captain Britain, yes? Were they quite as weird then, or did Claremont amp them up?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
And almost immediately after that, he starts trying to recruit everyone to join him in space and talking about creating a haven for all mutants. With the Moira retcon, it does work fairly well that he stopped trusting Moira and Xavier, but still thought the broad strokes of her plan were a good idea and so decided "Screw it, I'll make my own Krakoa!"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Aren't the Fenris twins also artificial mutants?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Codependent Poster posted:

In his last appearance, Apocalypse talks about gathering his own forces and the Revelation. In this issue, Exodus talks about Revelation coming soon. This is not a coincidence. Exodus also mentions Satan, but this being on the last panel with Apocalypse is a misdirection, I think. Who most closely resembles Satan here? Mother Righteous.

Also, 'Apocalypse' literally means 'revelation'.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite Silver Sable thing is when she sued Cable's old mercenary group for using the Wild Pack trademark so they changed to Six Pack because that's what they were drinking when trying to decide a new name. And there was six of them.

Which wasn't even the only time Cable had to change the name of his team after losing the trademark.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wanderer posted:

I've read enough work by Gillen to be confident that if he has a character clearly state their objective in the first issue of something, that is absolutely not what is going to happen in the conclusion.

If nothing else, while it's just barely possible that the resolution will be 'None of the last few years of comics ever happened', killing Moira as a kid would rewrite decades of continuity. I doubt they're going to rewrite everything going back to the early Claremont era.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Marvel should do a big event that takes place entirely off-panel in a miniseries that doesn't exist.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Heavy Metal posted:

That is interesting thanks, has the circuits thing been used in say the Claremont run onward? I saw somebody post about that from the 60s, not sure if that's still a thing. How about him using psychic powers in general?

IIRC, the first time Magneto's helmet had any special abilities or circuits was in X-Men vs Avengers (1987, no connection to Avengers vs X-Men), when it was basically used as an excuse to explain Magneto's otherwise inexplicable psychic abilities in a few Silver Age stories.

The idea hasn't been used much since then - even in that story, it was presented as a unique quality of one of his old helmets, not a standard feature.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It was changed to make it more Jewish - Eisenhardt is a real German-Jewish surname, while Lehnsherr doesn't seem to have ever been used as a real surname and is a medieval term for a feudal lord, so unlikely as the name of a middle-class Jewish family.

(And given that Eric means 'sole ruler' or 'unquestioned ruler', it's also a bit on-the-nose for the megalomaniac villain bent on world domination to have a name that's basically 'lord and master')

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I guess? I don't know, I just don't think like "maybe our story shouldn't endorse the allegory that the best strategy for minorities to succeed or thrive is self-isolation in an ethnostate and that this plan is good and would work if not for killer robots from the future" is a hard pull. Like Krakoa is so obviously politically/morally at odds with what the X-Men have always been about and with modern generic liberl values that, yeah, it's wild to me that anyone could think there is any way it should end that does not involve our heroes realizing they hosed up hard.

I liked Krakoa. It was fun sci-fi stuff. There was a lot of incredible character moments. Sins of Sinister was a blast. But yeah, I can't help but get a bad taste in my mouth when in the end the entire sttus quo/'arc' is one that endorses an ethnostate and implies it would have worked had it not been for the external factors.

I get writers come and go, and plans change, but yeah. "Don't have a franchise that has always been about the struggles of minorities trying to find acceptance in society" come out with "actually diversity is a fool's errand and only ethnostates are viable" as the answer.

Krakoa was the single greatest and most humiliating defeat mutantkind ever suffered, and we're just not going to acknowledge that, it seems.

I always saw Krakoa as more of a 'safe space' than an ethnostate - the Krakoan gates meant it was never isolated, everyone's family and friends visited regularly, and plenty of mutants still lived elsewhere.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Veg posted:

They will do a twist where good Beast died i loving know it

Evil Beast will pose as good Beast, but he'll spend so long in the role that he'll end up seeing the error of his ways for real. Good Beast will be revealed to have actually survived, but be left feeling bitter and abandoned by his friends and will turn evil.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always found it weird that Captain America ever had a secret identity. You'd think it would have been made public at some point in the decades he was 'dead'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I can't believe Exodus is now one of my favorite characters.