Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wanderer posted:

In the last issue of the Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor miniseries, Betsy got ganked by noted psychic vampire and Wolverine villain Sapphire Styx. Instead of dying, she ended up as a sort of psychic ghost inside Styx's mindscape, where she gathered her strength the focused totality of her psychic powers and used Styx's powers to rebuild a new body for herself. That turned out to be her original-mode body, although she retains the telekinesis that she inexplicably ended up with thanks to Claremont.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think most of the characters will mostly be using a mix of old costumes.

I'm still waiting for Kitty's terrible costumes to make an appearance.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I hate how writers have turned Beast into this self-righteous rear end in a top hat who does Science, consequences be damned. Hell, Morrison's take on Beast especially sucks poo poo, too. Beast pretending to be gay just to get back at his ex for dumping him, and said ex "outing" him to the entire world, was extremely hosed up, and how the hell did no one catch that?

I haven't read much about the X-Men after House of M, but I can see Beast approaching enemies of the X-Men for ideas probably works since Beast isn't getting enough rest and the desperation to save his species drives him to deal with the devil. But Beast over the last couple of years has gone up in being a sanctimonious piece of poo poo, starting with kidnapping the O5's young counterparts from their time just to prove a point to Cyclops.

What really sucks is that Kieron Gillen's take on Beast was pretty great in the S.W.O.R.D. mini, and no one ever copied that. Hank played the goofball to Abigail Brand's grump, like trying to make a good first impression with Brand's brother, or saving the cupcakes he brought for her to cheer her up at the end. It had Hank pitting his wits against Unit, or telling Gyrich to gently caress off with trying to turn S.W.O.R.D. into ICE for aliens.

Goatface Beast is the best Beast.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

She was intentionally trying to antagonize Dani into revealing her power, which Dani didn’t even know what it was at the time. Then, I think, tries to kill her when she finds out Dani has uncontrolled horror movie powers.

It’s at least tactical racism.

They could have written Ilyana being a jerk to Dani without being racist about it, if they really wanted to. It's a choice on the writer and director's end to include that and to whitewash two of the cast.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

If it gets us back to the lovable Beast of 2005, or even to the mildly assholish Beast of 2010, I'll take it.

There seems to be this weird pendulum thing where, every decade, one of the original 5 X-men has to put in some time as one of history's greatest monsters, starting with Jean Grey, continuing through Angel/Archangel, then Scott, and now Beast.

It's been so long since we've seen Lovable Beast that he feels like a fever dream at this point. Pretty sure the last time Beast was any fun was during Kieron Gillen's S.W.O.R.D. miniseries.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Random question, but was Lockheed being sentient ever hinted at in the Claremont era or was he really just a dragon Kitty found and befriended? I just remembered how in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Kitty was ranting against Brand when Brand revealed that Lockheed was an agent who she planted to spy on the X-Men. At the time, it seemed like it was this huge Gotcha! against Kitty for being self-righteous when she was treating someone sentient as a dumb pet, but I saw it more as a grown-rear end man pretending to be a teenage girl's pet for years and found it really creepy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wanderer posted:

Now that you mention it, it does seem like there were a few years where Beast was routinely crossing ethical lines out of desperation. He'd be trying to go outside the box to deal with things like the Legacy virus and M-Day, then somebody else would occasionally weaponize his crazier schemes. That made a lot of sense to me, particularly in conjunction with the existence of Dark Beast.

You can sort of see Percy's line of thinking here. Whedon and Ellis's "too smart for his own good but generally benevolent" Hank gives way to "Scott's increasingly angry conscience" Hank in the Utopia arc, who in turn becomes Black Ops Hank in Ellis's Secret Avengers, which is followed in turn by "gently caress it, let's break the timestream, when has time-travel ever been a problem" Hank in Bendis's X-Men.

Then Young Hank, under Bendis's pen, turned out to have just as much of a problem with the ol' good-idea/bad-idea filter as Old Hank, which seems to have informed Hickman's brief portrayal of the character in the "Time Runs Out" arc.

It's a gradual, years-long process of minimizing the good things about Hank as a character, which has now reached its nadir with Percy's fuckin' Tom Clancy's Rainbow Hank.

The good thing is that a writer could fix it by having Simon Williams show up, smack Hank on the back of the head, then point at him and say "Stop" in a firm tone of voice like he's disciplining a puppy.

It's a shame that other writers didn't follow Gillen's characterization for Beast in the SWORD miniseries because it was a more logical progression for Hank given what he's been through over the years. Under the X-Men, they trusted Hank to help them solve problems using science so he was always cooped up in his lab. But due to the dramatic nature of comics, Hank can't really solve the problems he's given (i.e. the Legacy Virus, Mutants being depowered) so he's stuck in a cycle of frustrating failures. Not to mention having to deal with more personal problems like his secondary mutation kicking in and having to relearn how to function with his new form while worrying that he's devolving, his long-time girlfriend breaking up with him and the mess that came after, or being concerned at how Scott is acting because his Jean was just buried and he's already hooking up with Emma. It's been a stressful job and it's no wonder Hank accepted Brand's offer to help SWORD out from time to time.

The way I see it is that Gillen's SWORD is Hank going on sabbatical in order to re-center himself. He can finally let the stress fade away and be able to joke around, go out and engage in heroics and focus on helping others, use his wits to help in diplomatic situations with alien races, and not to mention that it's a fresh environment away from all the drama. You could expand the idea to Hank being conflicted whether he should join SWORD on a more permanent basic because he cares for Brand and also feels he can do more good out in space, or stay with the X-Men out of loyalty for his friends despite his misgivings about Scott being more radical in his methods. Gillen's Hank was like a reminder to readers of Hank's best traits and that he's still a hero.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

^burtle posted:

I haven’t read SWORD in an age but I thought Beast was just there cause his lady was a workaholic.

Yeah, maybe I'm reading more into it, but it just felt like Hank was able to get a breath of fresh air at SWORD when things have been rather heavy with the X-Men. And I think Brand wanted him there because she trusted Hank to act like a moral compass and question her whenever she goes too far. Which fits with how Hank was always questioning Scott's decisions around that time, but is rather :lol: with how Hank's been portrayed ever since.

But in SWORD itself, Hank was a really supportive boyfriend: Joking and lightening up the mood to cheer her up, helping her get through an awkward meeting with a family member, buying Brand's favorite cupcakes before going into work. :3:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Did the comics ever cover how Scott came up with the 'crossing his arms to form an X' rebel sign? Because I imagine he workshopped this with his crew, where Emma's pinching the bridge of her nose and insisting this is embarrassing as hell while Magneto's egging Scott on and wondering whether he'll actually do it out on the field. :v:

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott's in a really good place now where he, along with Jean, are the two who are most concerned with not missing the forest for the trees. They both stepped up to lead and help in X of Swords when it went against the council, and they both said "gently caress this" to the council saying there can be no official X-Men team. Because they recognize that it's important to not just appear to be doing good, but to actually be out there among everyone else putting in the work of saving lives, human or mutant.

Like no matter what, Scott will always feel like everyone depends on him, and he'll fight like hell to not let anyone down.

Yeah, I'm happy for Scott that he's doing really good right now. He gets to save lives and doesn't have to be away or estranged from his family because of it. And, I remember you liked to post about Cyclops Is Right back during his paramilitary leader run so I bet you feel vindicated right now.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Unrelated, but I'm really enjoying how the Krakoa Era has brought so much discussion in this thread. Before this, it was like the thread was treading water by bemoaning about how so-and-so event or writer are handling the X-Men badly. But now we get people being happy about their favorite characters being given a second chance, or several pages of discussion on the nature of Krakoa's human policies and what it means for them. :shobon:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

When's the last time "The Beast everyone likes" even existed? He's been pretty consistently written as a terrible decision maker/bad person for like a decade at this point.

The first S.W.O.R.D. mini-series where Hank saves the alien immigrants of Earth from Henry Peter Gyrich's plan of forming not-ICE and deporting them.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm guessing it's the end of the Krakoan era and table setting to prepare MCU stuff, since Breevort kind of did that with the Avengers line. X-Men are likely gonna get pushed to the forefront, but hard to say if that's gonna be good or bad.

If this is gonna be like the time the Captain Marvel movie came out and someone at Marvel thought the best way to push Carol was loving Civil War 2, where she went full-on Minority Report fash, then I'm not looking forward to what they come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I know it's probably part of her costume design, but it looks like Firestar has little tiny poorly shaped hands reaching in from off panel and I'm laughing my rear end off

I'm brain-poisoned by the Legacy of Dominic Deegan thread and immediately thought those were Jazz Hands. :v: