Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Adder Moray posted:

I like the idea of teams just being whoever was nearby with a relevant power and willing to go on whatever cockamamie adventure the person asking has cooked up.

Yeah, X-Men is supposed to be Scott and whoever he picks for missions. It's already nice to see some forgotten characters used again, even if it's just a panel or page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Weren't Evil Mondo a clone Black Tom made?

Yeah but real Mondo was an rear end too.

This is more AoA Mondo which is fine with me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that Cable genuinely thought giving a grenade as a gift would go over well and not turn out disastrous. Also Rachel's face when Krakoa started to get it on.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There should now be a young Stryfe that's an annoying brother to young Cable and constantly pranking him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I do kind of wish to see the reaction of somebody who hadn't been reading Marauders and then all of a sudden here's Captain Kate who may or may not have knuckle tats.

Why is she a drunk now?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The woman with the sword is definitely Rasputin from the House/Powers of X books.

And I'm going with a definite Nanny and the Orphan Maker, Sinister, and Havok. The others I'm not sure of.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 3, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that roster does nothing for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm gonna reiterate my guess that Illyana is gonna show up in Dr. Strange and that's one reason they're releasing this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't have the issues in front of me but is there any non-political reason that the 5 couldn't bring back humans as well?

Xavier/Cerebro isn't actively backing up human brains. But if Xavier decided to pick a few humans to do that to, I don't see why they couldn't bring one back.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Tempus' powers age her or am I confusing somebody?

That's Velocidad who has super speed but it ages him using it.

Tempus got older but that was because she went to the future and lived there for a bit before coming back to the past.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I mean, technically he still hasn't broken a law. They never made murdering other mutants into a law, after all. v:shobon:v

Even when Kate returns, she won't actually know that it was Shaw who killed her unless Xavier had made a replica of her brain the literal minute it started to happen.

Lockheed will remember.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just pretend Fallen Angels doesn't exist

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

He was in his first appearance. Prof X had to mind wipe him so he forgot he had powers.

The O5 just couldn't deal with him, much later, as X-Factor those same people took out Apocalypse.

Makes sense though since Cyclops, Jean, and Iceman all got a lot more powerful as they got older. And Warren got the Archangel upgrade. Beast got blue, I guess.

I hope Jean lets Scott know about Beast running the new X-Force and he's just like "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wonder how Xavier spins that.

"Sorry Mystique, but Destiny is way in the back of the line. We have to resurrect the more important mutants like, uh... Wallflower first."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

On the note of assholes I would love to know how Emplate is making do on the island without causing huge problems for everybody else. Do they just make lifeless husks for him to eat or what?

I think they mentioned something about him and Selene and how they could use their powers for something else on the island.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

At the end? What the hell was up with his costume choice?

Laundry day

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Meggan and Brian are allowed to be on Krakoa so I don't think Xavier would disallow humans to live there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that Scott is all "hell no I don't want to be on the council."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rick posted:

Wait. . . does this mean Rusty has appeared?

Namor not being around is probably the weirdest of all that just because he seemed like a character Hickman liked.

Xavier tried to recruit Namor, and Namor called him out that Xavier didn't really believe what he was saying about superiority. Magneto or Apocalypse are probably the ones you want to send to recruit Namor.

Also I don't think Reed is 100% in the right. The X-Men said they were willing to wait for Franklin to make his choice, but had to accelerate their recruiting him because he was losing his powers. Losing an omega level mutant would be a big deal to them and they don't want that to happen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I agree that there's a lot of great stuff here. I guess what I'm wondering is, wouldn't this go a lot better with Xavier as a well-intentioned cult leader rather than have him be obviously evil and creepy?

I think it's also a role Xavier is playing. He doesn't truly believe that mutants are superior, but he's trying to come across that way because of what Moira showed him. Take that away and he'd want to stay in NY and try to integrate with humans.

I think there's a lot he doesn't agree with, but he's doing it because if he doesn't, they're going to be wiped out. You can see this trickle down to others like Scott, Kurt, and Logan. They aren't sure about all of this, but they want to try and make it work as best they can.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doug hiding Warlock and doing something with Krakoa is super creepy. I'm sure it's related to the Phalanx in some way, but hell if I know how.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rachel has the Phoenix Blade. There's Grasscutter and Godkiller which were both Hickman creations. Gorgon has one, I forget which and can't remember what happened to the other.

Illyana has the Soulsword. Brian has Excalibur. And I'm pretty sure Cyclops has the Black Knight's old photon sword.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 29, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Autism Sneaks posted:

pls add it to the OP captioned KRAKOA IS FOR ALL MUTANTS

I like the Cyclops tiki statue and the carving on the bench saying "Make More Mutants"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Hellions more than I thought I would, but yeah, there's still some questionable things about it. I don't think Empath will be someone that's redeemed, especially compared to Scalphunter, but some book was probably going to have to bring him up sooner or later. I think Wells has the chops to pull it off.

Though I'm also wondering why they aren't doing more like, psychic intervention with the characters. You have all these powerful telepaths and nobody looks into why Alex acted like that and instead sent him right to judgment. Kind of silly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Parallax posted:

what have most of the OG Hellions been up to since New Mutants anyway? it didn’t seem like they all liked each other all that much and it’s weird they’re still wearing those old rear end pink school uniforms

I think they were all dead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-Men/FF showed once again, that Cyclops was right and people should listen to him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

danbanana posted:

I'm not saying that a Catholic has to stay Catholic and that life experiences can't change beliefs. But that's not what Hickman is pushing here. He's saying that resurrection process changed it for Kurt and that's dumb. Hickman- like a lot of writers and a lot of you folks, frankly- are too heavily connecting religious beliefs to an afterlife. Christians don't believe in God because they believe in Heaven and Hell. Heaven and Hell are part of the Christian "mythology," but not its defining feature. So why would an entirely person-based process for resurrection shake Kurt's belief? Hell, why would it shake it anymore than a defibrillator would?

Also, what the gently caress does "I need to start a mutant religion" mean? Because that sounds like some L. Ron Hubbard poo poo; It makes Kurt sound like a loving grifter.

I can't speak to your religious experiences, but growing up Catholic I can say that yes, Heaven and Hell is certainly a defining feature of my growing up. Everything you do in life is all about getting into Heaven and avoiding going to Hell. This is what confirmation is about, this is what receiving the Eucharist is about, this is what confession is about. It's about asking forgiveness for your sins so you can get to Heaven. Catholicism practically guilt trips you for doing anything bad because if you do, then you're gonna go to Hell unless you do these things and ask for forgiveness.

So yeah, I can buy that Kurt is struggling now. But I think he's also looking to help guide current mutants. Forming a mutant religion because the afterlife doesn't exist, or maybe it does but their souls don't get to spend much time there before they're resurrected? He asks Scott if they're themselves, because neither of them really know. So in creating a religion, he can maybe form some guidance for people struggling with those same questions. After I die, do I come back as myself or am I someone different? Do I actually come back? This isn't even getting into comparisons with Jesus and then maybe asking if this is the same thing that happened to him, or it's different, or now are all mutants basically Jesus?

I think we'll see a lot more on this before it's all said and done, too.

Though now I'd really like to see Daredevil and Nightcrawler get into a discussion about faith.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

galagazombie posted:

That was honestly the least icky thing about it. They spent the whole time talking up that the only thing that gives you worth is if you have super powers and that if you lack the ability to turn your fingernails blue under a full moon you're little more than a soulless animal undeserving of basic dignity.

To be fair, that was Apocalypse saying it and we saw other people like Scott and Logan being pretty uncomfortable with that whole thing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pat Mustard posted:

Wasn't the crucible fight something depowered mutants chose to do, so they can be resurrected with their powers? They chose to fight Apocalypse as an alternative to committing suicide. It didn't seem like anyone was forced into it, all the Guthries were asking whatshername "are you sure you want to do this?" and stuff.

I think it's the whole having to fight him with a sword and take a lot of punishment mentally, physically, and verbally thing. There are easier and less painful ways to go.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Unless the state has immediate use of you, in which case they'll happily throw the rules out the window to serve their own purposes. :eng101:

Eventually poo poo's going to get to a point where they have the Five make multiple copies of themselves so they can throw the resurrection machine into overdrive, and we'll have ourselves a lovely little Clone Saga.

Nah, they don't want to do that. This is why they're looking for backups or replacements, like Synch. Plus if they start having babies, there will likely be replacements from them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wolverine doesn't like the crucible, so that should say something. One of the most violent guys is going "don't wanna see that."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'd be very surprised if Hickman or Ewing hadn't pitched something with the Ultraverse characters for some of their books.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I know Cable was in the X-Men '92 cartoon (though I don't remember if it was ever revealed in the cartoon who his parents were on there), but was Rachel Grey ever in any of the cartoons?

The wild man of Borneo......... see you around

Rachel had a cameo as a background character and that's it. So she was in X-Men as much as... Moondragon!

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men:_The_Animated_Series_Season_4_11

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cyclops has trouble restraining his ocular explosions without his safety goggles.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nah, X-Factor was a good book for most of its run. The Simonsons did some great work with it.

And I think they did a good job with salvaging Cyclops. He was a mess for doing what he did, and most of that came home to roost in Inferno where he was able to admit to Maddie that he did a terrible thing, regardless of if it was Sinister partly manipulating it or not.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Summers family is awesome, my friend. Even Vulcan is cool now.

The book isn't about them anyway. It's about Scott and team members he picks to go with him on missions, so it doesn't have a limited cast. Even then he isn't always the main character.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Cable is the only good one. That was just my appraisal of the first issue, I'm definitely gonna keep up with the book. Was amused by Hepzibah trying to fill out her Summers bingo card though.

Sorry, you're wrong. Especially since the cover to X-Men 1 can read: Never talk to me or my son or my brother or my other brother or my father or my alternate reality daughter or my wife or my wife's boyfriend again.

I was also looking for a line in one of the latest X-Men issues that Vulcan says, but came across this which I don't think has been talked about here:

https://twitter.com/RedClops123/status/1237898286435946497

Hickman, you are tricky.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, or it could be that Vulcan survived in Black Bolt. It was never really clarified how Black Bolt survived. So is there a Vulcan running around in or as Black Bolt? Did they resurrect Vulcan with another one out there, or is the one at Krakoa this the same one that came back from the Fault?

He says that he has that dream every night as well.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I really don't understand what happened in Excalibur but all those designs were pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Ah, you're reading the Cross-Time Caper!

Yeah, I think my statement sums up just about any Excalibur reading experience.