Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

danbanana posted:

This. I've long wondered how different comics would be if Shooter would have let Claremont's concept of true generational superheroes actually happen. If readers were trained in the 80s to accept those changes... I think the industry would be very different.

That said, DC kinda did this around the same time with Crisis and assholes still got Barry back like 20 years later...

I was reading in real time back then and the few issues of New Mutants where they "graduate" form their yellow black uniforms to individual ones is one of my favorite runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I don't remember Cypher raiding Cyclops' closet but those boots and that visor say differently

RE: Sam's helmet, he didn't have total control then like he does now, right? I seem to remember him blasting well but landing was something he was working on. It may also have been for anonymity.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Speaking of sexualizing things, I’m up to the Illyana miniseries in the New Mutants epic volume and boy, this is unsettling in a way I can’t quite describe, like either Claremont isn’t quite aware of his paraphilias or he’s very aware of them and trying to figure out what he can slip into his story without getting weird looks:

Honestly, this whole series is weird for superhero comics. It’s like Conan or something. But the narrative of a young kid thinking about how much she desires to serve a bdsm devil guy even though she knows she shouldn’t is not great.

I was about 10 years old when I went to the zoo one year for trick or treat someone stuffed this comic into my bag. My friends got random issues of Batman and Iron man so I was confused.

Dawgstar posted:

And that's even before we get to Chris' bottomless thirst for Storm.

Speaking of Bottomless Storm, that series features her skinny dipping and they show her bare rear end so I promptly hid that from mom and dad.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rochallor posted:

The Dark Phoenix Saga is wonderful, but reading it in sequence really sheds light on why adaptations of it have failed. You can't have a Dark Phoenix saga without a Phoenix saga. Jean has to be Phoenix and not evil/gaslit for some time for it to work. The storyline with the M'Kraan crystal is really just as important an element to the whole story as the Hellfire Club or the fight on the moon, but that's not anywhere in the trade paperback.

I had a very thick copy of the entire saga back in the mid 80s. I assume it's been broken up in to multiple volume or cut back to save on publishing.

I'm pretty sure it started when Banshee leaves the team

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’d be fun to hear the thoughts of someone that hasn’t been reading X-Men for almost thirty years, or all of Hickman’s Marvel work.

First question is: What brought HoX/PoX to her attention?

Do you mind if I add?

I Started reading Xmen in early 80s (likely 83 or 84). In fact I have a strong memory of telling all my GI Joe and Transformer loving friends about the comics and they got hooked for a few years. Keep in mind there were no cartoon, toys, anything with X-Men, back then. Was totally into New Mutants, X-Factor, and Excalibur but stopped reading right before AoA started. I don't recall my exact reason for dropping the books but I was more into DC at the time and was getting sick of the glut of X-Books and Wolverine showing up in every other title. Plus Claremontm left , X-Factor was all new, New Mutants moved on to be X-Force, it just wasn't the same for me anymore.

I've tried to read some collections over the years of new stuff, but could not get into it. Wikipedia articles fill in the gap when I'm curious about some things. I've tried various jumping on points over the years but each time it seems I'm dropped in the middle of something I just don't understand. So when I heard of HoX/PoX I thought I would try again.

They've done a fantastic job so far. Honestly it seems that in some ways they've just hit the reset button so I no longer need to have a working knowledge of the last 20 years of stories to understand what's going on. If an old obscure character or plot is talked about it's done so in a way that while I may not know the history, but the writing makes me understand why a "thing" is important to the current plot right now. I enjoy the nostalgia of classic characters but am thankful they are not beating you over the head with it.

I am enjoying see all mutants now as a formidable force in the 616 were as in the 80s they were always last place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

As someone who quit reading X books in the early 90s and has only kept up via Wiki articles, I'm loving where this is going.

Was Cable #7 delayed?