Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I am, if nothing else, extremely sold on Apocalypse's insistence to be referred to as the Artist Formerly Known As. I've got no idea what's going on with Otherworld, I've never followed that end of Marvel, but this was an entertaining read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

She's married to Brian, who isn't a mutant, so I imagine that's why she isn't relocating.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I almost liked Fallen Angels just fine - I guess I like edgy - but not so much with whoever this version of Laura is.

I'm also a little bummed the premise isn't what I thought it was-- is there literally not a single mutant that didn't go to Krakoa? I thought this was going to be a book about mutants who didn't take the deal, for some reason.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I guess my big confusion with Fallen Angels is that I'm not sure who told Bryan Hill that Kwannon has the character cachet to be a believable mentor figure for two far more established characters, but they were dead wrong. Dropping this one.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm willing to buy Apocalypse as an expert on pretty much any topic at his age, and am still pretty taken with the weirdness of him as a protag on a team book, so I've been enjoying Excalibur so far if only based on this slice of his bizarre life and ideology.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

When you put it this way, the use of one month as a time frame strikes me as commentary on the sort of stuck-in-the-status quo nature of big two superhero comics, now that I think about it

although it's less immediately poignant because the books double shipped a lot after dawn of x (which resulted in no new x books this week, which i personally found very annoying)

I think Fallen Angels was originally on the schedule for this week, and, yeah, it was probably wiser to dump that out early rather than have it stand alone this week.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

My only issue with the main X-Men book is it feels like a bunch of first issues to arcs that don't end up occurring. It's a lot of really intriguing setup and there is absolutely no interest in seeing where any of it goes in a linear fashion.

Which is an artistic choice I get! But some of those threads I really wanted to keep following.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they really should have just left jamie alone on krakoa. at least proteus would be around to keep an eye on him.

I mean, this was Apocalypse's bright idea, so I'm not sure this result even really qualifies as a problem for him.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

If they were purely just soulless copies, then dying in Otherworld/wherever else wouldn't make the slightest difference, that said-- so something else is going on, and it seems to suggest it's more of a transference than a xerox.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Gologle posted:

I have to say, the longer I spend away from the Excalibur book and its stuff, the less I care about what is going on there. That's the opposite of what I feel about X-Men Red, Immortal, X-Men (main), etc. I can't really put my finger on why though, because I usually like fantasy stuff.

My problem with the Otherworld stuff in this latest iteration is that it seems to assume I've read the full run of 90s Excalibur, and I just haven't and I'm probably not going to. It's a sea of names and references I don't follow at all.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

as x-force goes, I mean. Look, I like Kraven, he's a great villain. X-Force has mostly been about taking on other nation states, though, am I really meant to believe that fuckin Kraven is a credible threat to Krakoa?

This book just gets dumber and dumber; it seems its only real purpose is to convince the rest of the world to hate Beast as much as I long have.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Honestly, judging Beast may prove difficult for the Progenitor-- who in the world could he appear as whose judgment Beast would accept as valid?

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

TwoPair posted:

You know people have been talking about how much of a shitheel Beast has been that it only just hit me that I'm kind of tired of stories about how "Professor Xavier IS A JERK!" Like at this rate Magneto is more of a good guy.

Like I get that he's never been a saint but I feel like people used to be happy/excited to see Charles and now every appearance has both readers and frequently characters in-comic going "What's that fucker up to now?"

I really feel like we're due for a deeper internal look at Xavier, because I think you can play a lot of how he's been acting during the Krakoa era in particular as pretty cynical-- you almost get the sense he's deeply frustrated that Krakoa ended up being the only way, as Moira proved conclusively his way Could Not Work.

None of this has been textually referenced, though, so he's just kind of self-important and cruel.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

at least it looks like we're keeping Arakko, at least for the time being. Weird to think that may be the only thing that doesn't get a status quo reset, but I guess it's the easiest bit for the rest of the Marvel universe to ignore.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Laura was just the wrong character to do it with, she's got too much of a handle on herself. Missed opportunity not to explore the situation with someone more likely to have an existential breakdown over it, like Nightcrawler.

Or Xavier.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

X-O posted:

Hickman's mutant homeland had an expiration date built into the plot. In fact not getting to that point sooner is what lead to him leaving the X books. It was going to fail from the moment it was made. The only reason you got it as long as you did is because the other writers wanted to stay in it a little longer.

This mostly suggests to me the other writers saw in the era what fans of it see: an actual evolution of the concept and premise of what X-Men is about.

The Krakoa era is the first time in a long, long, long time I've kept up with a big two comic line, and from the sounds of things, it'll be the last time for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Wolverine
Wolverine
Gabby
Daken
Old Man Logan
...Weapon H?

Look, it'd move units.