Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've been playing SC3k off and on the last few years. I never played it much when it first came out (I preferred 2k), but it's grown on me. It's a nice simple city builder that I can start up and be playing in less than 10 minutes.

its one of my favorite games op. i still play it regularly. really nicely detailed sprite graphics and one of the best soundtracks ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
SC3000's interface and simulation depth haven't aged well, but the production values are still the highest in the genre and it's engaging to play in a way nothing else is.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think i might try sc3k again, i used to play it before 4 came out but it seems like 4 really just doesnt want to run on my pc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aside from maybe missing elements from 4 that were cool, I think SC3K is the best one. I always loved the look and sound of it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dunno, theres something about 4 thats still unique i think, its just so ambitious and you can do almost anything with it, its a shame there probably wont be like an indie version of it on the same scale the way games like banished have done for smaller scale city builders, just because itd take so many assets and probably cant be made in unity or whatever

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

NewCity is the only one with comparable ambitions. It's extremely unfinished but I can see potential in it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

This is a great time (not that there's ever a bad time) to shout out that SC3000 has one of the all time great Let's Plays, courtesy of The Deadly Hume. It really does a terrific job of showing off the game's flavor and personality.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is a great time (not that there's ever a bad time) to shout out that SC3000 has one of the all time great Let's Plays, courtesy of The Deadly Hume. It really does a terrific job of showing off the game's flavor and personality.

That, and the one done for SC2K with that ending :stare: are two of my all time favourite LPs.

Edit: Yes, Moon Slayer and Deryl's LP, mentioned in the second paragraph of part 1.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to reread the whole thing.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 14, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SimCity3000 Goodie Getting Effortpost

GOG did a pretty good job of providing a functioning SimCity 3000 Unlimited installation. Couple things are missing that I'd rather see, that, for reasons I cannot explain, I spent some time gathering links and explanations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Meaty Ore posted:

Reading this thread makes me want to reinstall SC2k again. It can't be that difficult to get working again on a modern PC.

hmm...

Come to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936080
And we can probably get you up and running with it on Sheepshaver!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Come to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936080
And we can probably get you up and running with it on Sheepshaver!

The diskettes clearly say Windows.
DOSbox with Windows 3.1 would be a better bet, although I think the real question Meaty Ore has is finding a diskette drive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sure, but the Mac version is clearly superior :woz:

Unless one really wants to make a project out of reading one's original diskettes then downloading a copy (for whichever platform) is going to be much more straightforward.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

NewCity is the only one with comparable ambitions. It's extremely unfinished but I can see potential in it.

i hadnt seen that one yet, it looks cool but it does seem like its a bit slanted towards transportation like all of the other recent city building games

in a proper simcity game imo public transportation should be there and you should build it sensibly but i really dont need timetables and routes and stuff, just let me plop down stations and connect them and call it a day, i also dont need traffic agents, just abstract that poo poo and let me build

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

~Coxy posted:

Sure, but the Mac version is clearly superior :woz:

Unless one really wants to make a project out of reading one's original diskettes then downloading a copy (for whichever platform) is going to be much more straightforward.

Serious question, what made the Mac version superior?

I played the Windows 95 version of SimCity 2000, and can't quite stick with the DOS version available from GOG. The Windows version had a higher resolution and I could break out all the little info windows. The DOSBox version looks and feels like a fake Mac and squeezes everything into a low resolution that blurs when you zoom out to a manageable distance.

I played on a few Macs during that era in the 90's (at school, couldn't afford one myself) and always really liked how pixel-sharp everything was with the OS, the matched monitors, etc. I miss interfaces that had stuff like borders that were precisely one pixel thick.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

doctorfrog posted:

Serious question, what made the Mac version superior?

:ssh: It wasn't.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

nielsm posted:

The diskettes clearly say Windows.
DOSbox with Windows 3.1 would be a better bet, although I think the real question Meaty Ore has is finding a diskette drive.

That was the idea behind the post, yes. It was also meant as a bit of a joke, as I wasn't sure if Windows 10 supported floppy drives or not (I checked since posting and apparently it does).

It's also somewhat moot as my wife has the CD-based SE. ;)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The music is better in the Mac version.

I assume the Win95 version has fixed graphics so they should be equal, but the DOS version is trash.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The Win95 version of the Special Edition lets you change the graphics set DURING the game, which makes it by far the best version ever. In any other version you had to either set it in a separate program or in the main menu before loading a city.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I always cobbled together my own custom tile set from the "future" and "2050" packs, picking my favourite buildings from each. Like, every time I reinstalled it on a friend's computer or whatever I'd go through the exact same steps to make sure I had it looking just the way I wanted. The 2050 version of the launch arco was the coolest poo poo ever to 8yo me.

Also am I misremembering, or did the windows Special Edition not require a CD key or for the disc to be in the drive?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

~Coxy posted:

The music is better in the Mac version.

Is it? I'm listening to a recording of it now, and I'd definitely prefer the DOS version's on either a SoundCanvas or an MT-32. (Of course most people didn't have those.)
The Mac version music is just noisy and crackly, some not-great samples mixed poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZwCVd6P90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag08x1p__do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4gkAcj7GhU&t=126s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQY3zGEbQU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I was playing Sim City 2000 from GOG last night, on the mac. First of all, this game isn't nearly as approachable as it was when I was 9 and using the cheat codes to have infinite money. I'm basically dead by the time the coal mine blows up, and let the giant monster kill everything. It was kind of fun though. I think this is a game you need a mouse, personally I had a hard time getting around on the trackpad.
Now Sim City 4, with some mods I can waste way, way too much time. It's one of those games that I will disappear and never come out from.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I had massive problems making money in SC2k when I was 10, but it's quite easy now. Low density zoning is a trap, only ever zone high density until you can afford the extended infrastructure low density requires.

Making about $3k a year, although that's also cheesing it with hydro power. I think the city is using about 1000 MW of power right now, producing 3100 MW. To cover that comfortably I'd need 7 coal plants (cost 24k every 50 years) or a microwave receiver (cost 28k every 50 years). Yeah I can comfortably cover that, but the "power plants explode every 50 years" is a dumb game mechanic after all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

nielsm posted:

I had massive problems making money in SC2k when I was 10, but it's quite easy now. Low density zoning is a trap, only ever zone high density until you can afford the extended infrastructure low density requires.

It's also rear end-ugly. It wasn't until SC4 that you could make low density neighborhoods and strip malls that actually look good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i played sc2000 a year or two ago and got a really big city, as i recall its the same as sc4 where you have to defund stuff to the minimum level required

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Negostrike posted:

The Win95 version of the Special Edition lets you change the graphics set DURING the game, which makes it by far the best version ever. In any other version you had to either set it in a separate program or in the main menu before loading a city.

Yup.

It also runs without issues on Windows 10 too. The only issue is that it's a 16 bit installer, but there's workarounds for that to install the game. Running the actual game itself works perfect though.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
EDIT: Derp. I read good. Missed this page. Good to know I'm not insane and that yeah there's a Windows version I grew up with and that's why the GOG 2K felt so odd.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My favorite thing about SC3K is it let me import cities from 2K, which meant I could use the double fund glitch to get $2 billion and copy the map over

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's just as easy to pop your city file open in a hex editor and toss a few ff's in there

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked the Easter egg in SC2K that sent a launch arco “dancing” across your screen in a top hat and cane.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3tLHWFSFLM

Heh heh heh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow.

That's a new one for me.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Launch Arcology? More like Crash Arcology!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the tip. Using high density my money hovered right between $10g-$20g. Weird yea low density is worthless. Then the game got really boring so I let it burn. I was at the year 2150 or something steady at 25,000 population. Those highways are a pain to make.
Playing on a trackpad is the worst, terrible experience. You have to have a mouse.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

most simcity games are like that. utilities are always too expensive unless you make them count and fill their coverage to capacity with stuff, especially high density commercial zones

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I played 1 and 2 briefly when i was younger when they launched, but i played SC3k the most. The Graphics, transition from MIDI music to the great jazz/Synthesizer music, and exaggerated cartoony advisors won me over. I still have no loving clue how to create highways though. It wasn't until Cities Skylines where i finally understood how to create a proper one.

Every once in a while i go back to SC 2 then forget that getting power to places is so outdated, it's the QOL changes throughout that get me. It's a little like how Caesar III holds a special place in my heart, but every once in a while i forget that a lack of a resource due to the AI market pathing going crazy, can cause an entire swath of the city to go poor and the mass exodus begins.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Every once in a while I go back to SC 2 then forget that getting power to places is so outdated, it's the QOL changes throughout that get me. It's a little like how Caesar III holds a special place in my heart, but every once in a while I forget that a lack of a resource due to the AI market pathing going crazy, can cause an entire swath of the city to go poor and the mass exodus begins.

This is what has kept me from completing the Caesar III campaign all these years. I can tell the Carthaginian invaders to stuff it in the scenario they appear in, but getting wine distributed consistently enough to attract patricians? lol.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah thats what sucked about pharaoh too, you had to basically build blocks with just a single road so the pathing ai cant gently caress it all up, which looks boring and ugly. immortal cities fixes this stuff though

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think, a fork of the Julius Caesar 3 source port fixes issues like that.

https://github.com/Keriew/augustus

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
This thread had me go through some old files I had up on google drive and well:

Atlantis.jpg must have been a custom map for SC3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Mister Bates posted:

e: and here it is: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18uDbtc1TvyHjtosOC6BFcjCzsIIL6Py8?usp=sharing

This should be ready to play as-is. Note that it was made in 2012 so it uses very out-of-date versions of the mods, but they were perfectly playable even back then, and if you know what you're doing it's trivially easy to update, say, NAM.
I installed Simcity 4 and put these in the plugins folder. I can see from SC4 launcher that I have a giant pile of mods now, which is cool. But at least one of these mods is making it so dark that I have a hard time actually doing anything in my city. I can't mayor at midnight! Any idea which mod might be causing this, or if there is a setting I can change to turn off the day/night cycle?