Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That would be something like DarkNite or TrueNite, but you can turn the cycle off instead. Lower left, change it to... I believe the terraforming menu, you'll see an icon with a sun and moon on it. Click that and you can switch between cycle, always day, always night.

I much prefer the darker night but I also do all my building with it set to always day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah the darker night is great for just admiring your city/taking screenshots but I keep it on Always Day unless I'm in Admire Mode.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Thanks for the advice, will do. I am teaching my daughter how to play!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sim

city

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

god drat that kicks rear end, did you make it? i wish i still had some screenshots of my old region maps

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

agriculture mostly centered around fertile areas near bodies of water, suburban sprawl centered around main traffic artery towards the coast.. yes

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Love your cities, still miss your LP.

Shibawanko posted:

god drat that kicks rear end, did you make it? i wish i still had some screenshots of my old region maps

Got some from my last play 2018ish...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

ya, it's my current region of ~glorious nihon~-ish

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the geography looks more like southern china, those are clearly karst formations. have you considered downloading a limestone quarry or cormorant fishermen's lodge mod for added realism?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The terrain is from Alaska, but yeah. I was away from the region for a while and now all I can see are the parts I hate, I may start terraforming a new region by hand. Imported terrain always has issues with the heightmap and looks wrong.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Why is it censored with a mosaic? Hiding secret military installations? :thunk:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like some of these lil villages.

And my occasional plopblocks.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's not Sim City, but has this thread taken a moment to appreciate the Yoot Tower cinema?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq8o7gg87k4

I had no idea this existed until recently myself. For me, Yoot Tower existed mainly as a few ads in some magazines. I did play me quite a bit of SimTower back in the day. Is Project Highrise any drat good?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Is Project Highrise any drat good?

its ok. not a lot of personality

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's okay but I don't think any other game has hit the magic of SimTower. Even Yoot Tower, which isn't that different, doesn't scratch the itch to me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I like some of these lil villages.

And my occasional plopblocks.

this is how i used to build as well, with some of the same mods, i posted these earlier in the thread:

this one's supposed to be kind of like enoshima except with a big bridge off to the north

i really liked this avenue mod with the seasonal trees. this city was quite huge and had a shinkansen and everything

i really want to get the game working again somehow

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Started a new region, this is the populated section so far. Farmin' hard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Was shocked to see pedestrian share so high. But what's that on the left?

Pedestrian share was #1. :aaaaa: Briefly, but I've been playing this drat game 18 years and cannot remember ever seeing anything but cars as the top mode. I thought the only way to knock it down was to do total gimmick poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Found another bunch of rehosted Japanese bats, I thought all these were dead.

http://hide-inoki.com/~nob/index.html

E: One of the train stations on this site locks up the game. I've narrowed it down to five, I'll post the bad one when I find it.

E2: It is acchi_station4. Not sure what the zip filename was but that's what it is when unzipped. Toss it out.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 19, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Finally found decent rice fields that don't take a poo poo-zillion years to place tile by tile.

https://www.yuhisa.com/simboard-archives/simboard-79/

They're parks that don't actually provide agricultural jobs or anything, but whatever.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think there was some kind of problem where you couldnt just have a building that had agricultural jobs and it had to be a stock field, or at least there were a lot of mods like that where they just turned them into parks and called it a day because adding jobs to a mod was a pain in the rear end or didn't work properly

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

That looks amazing!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

you can't cut back on shipping

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

you all making me want to install SimCity 4 and lament the idea we'll never had a good SimCity again.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I had a decent dosbox simcity 2k install going in Windows 10 where I magically managed to fix the music to not be horrible default midi sounds, but then windows updates busted it, bah.

Also simtower was pretty fun for screwing around, I'm not sure if a windows port, simtower-like, or a mac VM would be a better fit nowadays.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

you all making me want to install SimCity 4 and lament the idea we'll never had a good SimCity again.

Do it

One of the craziest things about SC4 is it still looks beautiful. Game's 18 years old (yikes), how many other games from 2003 look good by modern standards?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

palindrome posted:

I had a decent dosbox simcity 2k install going in Windows 10 where I magically managed to fix the music to not be horrible default midi sounds, but then windows updates busted it, bah.

PCem is probably a better choice these days.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
I have no idea how this stuff works but is there any chance we could see something similar to OpenRCT/OpenTTD with SC4? or perhaps a 20th anniversary rerelease?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IIRC someone started an openSC2K project a couple years ago and EA swiftly shut it down.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Do it

One of the craziest things about SC4 is it still looks beautiful. Game's 18 years old (yikes), how many other games from 2003 look good by modern standards?

I did it, got it off steam.

The mods still work even if I bought it off steam right? I know traffic is a nightmare unmodded.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but GOG would be the much better choice, it's just easier for manual modding.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

I did it, got it off steam.

The mods still work even if I bought it off steam right? I know traffic is a nightmare unmodded.

Yep. Just remember to install everything in the My Documents plugin folder. The main game one is only used for a handful of things.

NAM is what fixes the traffic and that has an installer. Also you must get these essentials:

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30883-sc4fix-third-party-patches-for-sc4/

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

https://simcity4.hippotank.com/

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher/

The launcher fixes some issues and also ensures you have the right settings to keep the game stable, like forcing to only use one CPU core.

The game is pretty stable with all this. And the launcher has an auto-save for the times it isn't.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but GOG would be the much better choice, it's just easier for manual modding.

Makes zero difference for SC4. E: The reason being that the problem Steam sometimes introduces is when the file system of the game is in an unexpected place because it's in Steam's directory. For SC4 all the modding is happening in the My Documents folder for the game, which is identical no matter if it's the CD version, Steam, or GOG. So it's fine, get whichever.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 12, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I will... eventually... put seasonal trees everywhere. Maybe.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

..I didn't even know you could see individual, animated people in this.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I had the steam version suddenly decide it didn’t want me playing it anymore and was forced to redownload GoG which is fine I get way more than $40 of fun out of this game anyway.

Also the edges of my map has switched from inky blackness to electric blue and it can have difficulty rendering when I use edge scrolling. It’s easily fixed by zooming in and out but does anyone know what’s causing this and how to stop it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also the edges of my map has switched from inky blackness to electric blue and it can have difficulty rendering when I use edge scrolling. It’s easily fixed by zooming in and out but does anyone know what’s causing this and how to stop it.

Is it causing a tearing? I hosed up mine by accidentally deleting one of the required files in the main game plugin folder. Go to your main install directory and check the Plugins folder for five png files named Background3D0 to 3D4. You can replace those with custom ones, but they have to be in there or the renderer goes insane.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grand Fromage posted:

Is it causing a tearing? I hosed up mine by accidentally deleting one of the required files in the main game plugin folder. Go to your main install directory and check the Plugins folder for five png files named Background3D0 to 3D4. You can replace those with custom ones, but they have to be in there or the renderer goes insane.

This is probably it since I was dumb and went to the main install plugins instead of my documents until a week ago

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is probably it since I was dumb and went to the main install plugins instead of my documents until a week ago

That's also how I discovered it. :v: Fortunately it's an easy fix, just put those files back and you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I will... eventually... put seasonal trees everywhere. Maybe.

The issue is to plant them on the required dates.

Nice update Grand Fromage