Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

my dell monitor has a built in KVM so i have all the usb devices i want to share between my home and work computers hooked to it and then when i swap inputs it also swaps usb ports over

which one is that? I can't figure out what dell calls that feature and I would prefer it over having to do my monitor, mouse and keyboard every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

mines a up3017 but its probably available in other ultrasharps.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Shaggar posted:

my dell monitor has a built in KVM so i have all the usb devices i want to share between my home and work computers hooked to it and then when i swap inputs it also swaps usb ports over

oh dang, at least one of my monitors has a usb hub built in, that might work!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

mine has 2 separate USB type-B ports (called upstream ports in the manual) for your 2 separate computers and then in the OSD you map one display input to each port and then when u switch display inputs it also switches the USB to the corresponding port.

also i looked at the current dell monitors and it looks like they dont do this anymore lol. lots of them have simple hubs, but no built in kvm.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

it looks like the hubs in the newer monitors are more like built in USB-c docks complete with ethernet ports. thats probably way more useful than a built in kvm for most users.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

my current monitor has a usb-c connector for both the usb ports and video data.

it'd be really neat if they just had multiple of those usb ports and then it would automatically know which upstream usb host was associated with which display input

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

Achmed Jones posted:

jonny's either organizing a union or CDNing for the feds

OR BOTH!!!!!

makes u think ;)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

i can't believe jonny's a grass

just kidding man, best of luck organizing

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

synergy had a weird issue where it would just constantly leak memory to the tune of several gigabytes over a period of a few days and i had a loving nightmare of a time tracking it down. i miss when it was open or at least free, even though i have a paid version of synergy 1
Barrier

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

im trying to find a kvm and they're all USB2.0 hubs for $500 :wtc:

get a USB switch for about $30

get a USB hub with as many ports as you need, plug all your peripherals into it, and plug it into the USB switch

connect monitors to one PC using all HDMI and the other PC using all display port

putting one system to sleep will basically switch to the other if your monitors are set to auto detect input

works like a kvm but cheaper and way more reliable

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

This will tell your monitors to switch inputs when it detects a specific USB device attaching (you pressing the button on your cheap rear end USB switch/hub).

https://github.com/haimgel/display-switch

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

yippee cahier posted:

This will tell your monitors to switch inputs when it detects a specific USB device attaching (you pressing the button on your cheap rear end USB switch/hub).

Assuming your monitor implements DDC/CI correctly. All newer LG monitors don't respect display switching via DDC/CI because "gently caress you that's why".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Zamujasa posted:

synergy had a weird issue where it would just constantly leak memory to the tune of several gigabytes over a period of a few days and i had a loving nightmare of a time tracking it down. i miss when it was open or at least free, even though i have a paid version of synergy 1

i was one of the like 0.003% of people who donated to its development when it was free and as a result when it went paid the guy emailed me a personal thanks and gave me like 5 free lifetime licenses that are good for every version they put out forever lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Achmed Jones posted:

wait that won't do the needful i also need to switch at least 2 more usb devices over. and i think a monitor+usb switch just _is_ a kvm lol

dangit!

oh oh I have a solution! taken from these very forums nonless!

get a usb switch for like $20 and set up a listener to switch the monitors over a vesa data channel when your USB devices disconnect.

warning: requires compiling rust code because the author hasn't published any actual packages

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

yippee cahier posted:

gently caress!!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

kitten emergency posted:

i don’t trust devs who don’t adblock, same as I don’t trust IT people that don’t drink

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

you can also do a weed or mushrooms instead of drinking

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

https://twitter.com/cartoon_magoo/status/1463018030900789252?s=21

Poe’s Law died a long time ago if someone with a Hank Scorpio avatar is defending poor workplace culture

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nybble posted:

https://twitter.com/cartoon_magoo/status/1463018030900789252?s=21

Poe’s Law died a long time ago if someone with a Hank Scorpio avatar is defending poor workplace culture

no paywall

https://archive.md/lFHxy

ted hitler hunter
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Johnny Appleballs is upset by the news that the EU wants to force his precious tech corporations to make their networks talk to each other and stop prioritizing their own services in search results :qq:

Jon Appleballs posted:

DF: E.U. Regulators Are at It Again

E.U. Regulators Are at It Again

Von Björn Finke, reporting for Süddeutsche Zeitung (original in German; I’m quoting here from Safari 15’s translation to English):

quote:

For example, these powerful companies must no longer prefer their own services in search results, as Google did in the 2.4 billion case. You may also not collect business data from independent merchants on the platform and use it for your own offers, as Amazon is accused of. And they must allow mobile phone users to install other app stores and thus get more choice in mobile phone programs. This will hurt Apple a lot. In the event of violations, the Commission can intervene directly in the future without having to prove market power and harmful consequences in long investigations.
Misguided, to say the least.

quote:

Parliament expanded the list of platforms to be viewed and includes, for example, Internet-enabled TVs or voice assistants such as Alexa. On the other hand, MEPs increased the thresholds for sales to eight billion euros and the market value to 80 billion euros. This means that only Booking.com should be able to fall under the law from Europe for the foreseeable future. MEP Schwab argues that it is better for the Commission to focus on the really large companies in the implementation and control of the legal act. Critics warn, however, that the US government could consider it an unfriendly act if the groundbreaking law hits almost only American companies.

European regulations that are targeted, almost exclusively, at U.S. companies. You think that might be perceived here as “unfriendly”? You don’t say.

quote:

Another important addition to the Commission draft is that Parliament wants to force gatekeepers to allow exchanges between rival messenger services and social media. Then, for example, a user could send a message from WhatsApp to the competitor Signal — this opening should also stimulate competition.
This nugget is under a sub-head that was translated to “Send a message from WhatsApp to Signal? No problem”. No problem at all. Probably will only take a few lines of code to get all the world’s messaging systems — including those using end-to-end encryption like Signal and WhatsApp (and iMessage) — talking to each other.

They should do another draft that mandates the invention of personal jet packs and flying cars, too.

:sickos:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

This is surely some sort of preliminary rule draft of maybe a polite suggestion to investigate appointing somebody to nominate a commission to maybe explore these outcomes, right? There's no way in hell Apple will allow alternative app stores, they'll sooner pull out of the EU entirely. Seems to me like a few EU bureaucrats shaking down Apple et al for some bribes.

WhatsApp uses Signal's cryptographic protocol (or at least did at one point) with their own walled garden though, so it probably isn't as difficult to integrate as he's making it out to be. But again lol nah that is never going to get forced into practice, not in a million years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

john apple is probably most mad about the app store requirement, he just didn't pick it out of that paragraph

Sapozhnik posted:

WhatsApp uses Signal's cryptographic protocol (or at least did at one point) with their own walled garden though, so it probably isn't as difficult to integrate as he's making it out to be. But again lol nah that is never going to get forced into practice, not in a million years.

there's probably a way to make an industry-wide standard for e2e encryption across services if they can come up with a shared standard for identifying user accounts. but yeah this is almost certainly not going to happen by fiat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, actually...

Make it the law that Google has to bring back xmpp

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Make it the law that Google has to bring back xmpp

nah you're not thinking big enough

SIP over IPSec this is literally what VoLTE does

In the hypothetical magical fairy tale land where mobile messengers are mandated to become interoperable they'll come up with some sort of standardized version of Signal's double-ratchet protocol since that's basically what all of them use already except for like Telegram which does its own weird poo poo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

on the one hand i hate that in the last like 20 years i've gone from running 40 clients at once, to running one client that can talk to all 40 services, back to running 40 clients at once but now they're all electron for some loving reason

on the other hand how else are people going to buy discord nitro and use it to spam unblockable custom emotes at me, that is the price we pay for progress

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the answer is to delete your discord in protest of their nft plans, hth

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

thelounge is pretty good for IRC
it's a self-hosted bouncer and client all in one, you just get it running and then go to the webserver it sets up
so you dont have to set up each connection to the bouncer on each device, you just go to the website (or electron app if you want to turn it into one of those, like i did lol)

plus it has link embeds and file uploading and all that good poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Achmed Jones posted:

wait that won't do the needful i also need to switch at least 2 more usb devices over. and i think a monitor+usb switch just _is_ a kvm lol

dangit!

all my monitors have enough inputs that I can just switch the source on them.

I use this for changing over usb. press a small button and the switch under the desk changes inputs. it even has a four port powered usb 3.0 hub built in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

hbag posted:

thelounge is pretty good for IRC
it's a self-hosted bouncer and client all in one, you just get it running and then go to the webserver it sets up
so you dont have to set up each connection to the bouncer on each device, you just go to the website (or electron app if you want to turn it into one of those, like i did lol)

plus it has link embeds and file uploading and all that good poo poo

i finally switched off of IRC a few months ago after modding a slowly dying channel for like 15 loving years i'm not going back now :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

haveblue posted:

the answer is to delete your discord in protest of their nft plans, hth

they went back on them, at least publicly. i'm sure they're still fermenting in the brainrot behind the scenes but whatever. not gonna buy nitro or anything but it no longer quite warrants me Spending Effort to move all my friends to something else

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

will post my thelounge setup when i get home

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

IRC is an unstandardized hellstew with a fundamentally broken design, it is never going to be a usable product.

poo poo I ran a Mattermost server for about five years for a bunch of people I used to hang out on IRC with. I shut it down permanently a few months ago because it had seen maybe 50 messages in all of 2021. We're all on Discord these days.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

we even shut down our irc channel after many, many years of keeping it around for like four grognard customers that loved it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

we even shut down our irc channel after many, many years of keeping it around for like four grognard customers that loved it

earlier this year i was in #yospos on synirc and someone tried to push an andy ngo book on me

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

a good way to see which OSS projects have their poo poo together is to see who switched over to Libera Chat and moved away from Freenode (Rails is still on the latter, for example)

a great way is to see which ones abandoned IRC altogether

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

hbag posted:

earlier this year i was in #yospos on synirc and someone tried to push an andy ngo book on me

that channel is brain poison. id even rather have you post in fyad than hang out there

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Nybble posted:

a good way to see which OSS projects have their poo poo together is to see who switched over to Libera Chat and moved away from Freenode (Rails is still on the latter, for example)

a great way is to see which ones abandoned IRC altogether

yeah i love having to join a discord server with notifications set to "all messages" by default, where i need to wait 10 minutes and verify my phone number before i can ask why their program is trying to eat my master boot record

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

Jonny 290 posted:

that channel is brain poison. id even rather have you post in fyad than hang out there

wait, there's a worse yospos out there than this one?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i didn't stick around long lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

infernal machines posted:

wait, there's a worse yospos out there than this one?

the irc channel is really, really bad. its got actual chuds and libertarians and sex pests and whatnot