Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

Jonny 290 posted:

the irc channel is really, really bad. its got actual chuds and libertarians and sex pests and whatnot

are they all the ones that run out of this yospos over the last decade or is there somehow a parallel evil universe yospos?

this is weird to me. i always assumed the irc was just the high speed low drag shitposting place for the forum regulars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

libertarians and sex pests
score: -1, redundant

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

yeah, there isnt much crossover between here and there. most of them got run off or left in like fuckin '12 or something like that. i pop in and say hello like once a year because the ultrawizardsword irc is on the same server, somebody types a slur at me, and i /part

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

loving wild

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I first went on irc in 1993 for about 90 seconds, thought "I hate this" and logged off. my opinion hasn't changed in the interval, I apparently have an allergy to realtime chat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

being a big mac dork in the 90s I was required to always say hotline was better even though I never really gave either a fair evaluation

Zlodo
Nov 24, 2006

infernal machines posted:

the high speed low drag shitposting place for the forum regulars

it's the discord server

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

being a big mac dork in the 90s I was required to always say hotline was better even though I never really gave either a fair evaluation

i used both for piracy extensively in the late 90s and very early 2000s. definitely used irc more for chat though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Zlodo posted:

it's the discord server

discord? isn't that some electron poo poo? you kids and your javascript

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

haveblue posted:

being a big mac dork

didn't know you could post from the grave mr. kroc

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

I first went on irc in 1993 for about 90 seconds, thought "I hate this" and logged off. my opinion hasn't changed in the interval, I apparently have an allergy to realtime chat

iawtp

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

lol yeah. my first real-time chat experience was on Hotline and it was so weird.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

infernal machines posted:

are they all the ones that run out of this yospos over the last decade or is there somehow a parallel evil universe yospos?

this is weird to me. i always assumed the irc was just the high speed low drag shitposting place for the forum regulars

it is but the channel is #cobol not #yospos

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i went to the #yospos channel a few years ago and people were saying that they were kicked out of the slack or w/e for being racist. so i did a `/part #yospos` real quicklike

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

anyway here it is

look at it, its cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

Somebody else wanna take this one? i'm busy with making lunch.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hbag posted:

anyway here it is

look at it, its cool

lmao
you’re trying too hard
plus, you might want to redact some of your channel names

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

nah

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

The Fool posted:

lmao
you’re trying too hard
plus, you might want to redact some of your channel names

which ones, i dont see any weird ones
and what do you mean trying too hard

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol just lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

lol just lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

please someone inform me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps

Nap Ghost

Captain Foo posted:

lol just lol

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

stopped using irc when I graduated college and no longer could spend all day in front of a computer bullshitting.

the amount of file bots after Blaster/sasser worms was glorious tho

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8GqNgSU/

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

hbag posted:

anyway here it is

look at it, its cool

the only good thing about this entire image is buttbot

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

hbag posted:

which ones, i dont see any weird ones
and what do you mean trying too hard

Tricking out your desktop/IRC client/terminal is a phase that every computer nerd goes through, and shares tons of proud screenshots of, but also it's a phase that passes once you have a job and responsibilities and you realize no one actually gives a poo poo (including yourself)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 3, 2006

shoeberto posted:

Tricking out your desktop/IRC client/terminal is a phase that every computer nerd goes through, and shares tons of proud screenshots of, but also it's a phase that passes once you have a job and responsibilities and you realize no one actually gives a poo poo (including yourself)

poo poo yeah I can barely keep my desktop organized because :effort:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

shoeberto is right

i cared a lot in college, stopped computertouching in grad school, and then cared a lot again for the first year or so of my first job

and my dotfiles have not meaningfully changed since

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I'm still settling into my laptop for the new job and realized today my old .tmux.conf has a bunch of style poo poo that broke between Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04. I spent a few minutes loving with it and gave up. gently caress that noise. I can live with the error messages for now.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

what no my desktop is a disorganized mess with the default wallpaper
i literally just picked that thelounge theme because it's dark and easier on my eyes, the default theme is loving blinding
aside from that all i really did was reduce the spacing between messages so i could fit more of them on the screen at once

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

you're going to continue to get made fun of until you post a fairly boring irssi screenshot which is really the only 'cool' client. and it still interfaces with irc, which sucks and is bad.

farming cred by posting a web irc client is like showing up to a biker meet on a trike

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

you're going to continue to get made fun of until you post a fairly boring irssi screenshot which is really the only 'cool' client. and it still interfaces with irc, which sucks and is bad.

farming cred by posting a web irc client is like showing up to a biker meet on a trike

or i could just continue to use whatever client i find the best to use personally, and you can suck my dick

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

hbag posted:

or i could just continue to use whatever client i find the best to use personally, and you can suck my dick

You can absolutely continue to use whatever client you like, but we're all cranky old nerds, so no one is gonna give a poo poo about your screenshots unless you're writing your own client from scratch.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

shoeberto posted:

You can absolutely continue to use whatever client you like, but we're all cranky old nerds, so no one is gonna give a poo poo about your screenshots unless you're writing your own client from scratch.

that sounds like pointless work for an already solved problem

so perfect for me but, still, gently caress that

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

hbag 1, lame old biddies 0

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i liked irssi but am not especially interested in getting a perl environment working again

nor with interacting with whatever dregs are still active on irc at this point

but that said i like the idea of interacting with my existing slack/discord stuff via an irc client, and i assume theyve locked that poo poo down hard by now to make sure i can't do that

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

tolko zhaesh, poshli ikh na X
ne umru ya, moi drug, nikogda!

Sapozhnik posted:

nah you're not thinking big enough

SIP over IPSec this is literally what VoLTE does

yeah combining the world's two most overcomplicated protocols with tons of NAT traversal nonsense and crapshoot cross-vendor compatibility sounds like tons of fun

also irssi isn't cool it's just good cause it works fine with like 12 rows of text, whereas discord and slack are basically unusable at less than 1280x1024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

Progressive JPEG posted:

i liked irssi but am not especially interested in getting a perl environment working again

nor with interacting with whatever dregs are still active on irc at this point

but that said i like the idea of interacting with my existing slack/discord stuff via an irc client, and i assume theyve locked that poo poo down hard by now to make sure i can't do that

yeah see i was opposite. i got into irssi right when i became a perl dev at Motorola, so i was all about writing scripts and poo poo. I had a snypescript that was watching the forums and it'd highlight the status bar in yellow for GET READY when a thread was at 38 posts, and SNYPE IT!!!! in red when a thread was at 39. (that was the most autosniping i ever did; every single :synpa: i made was by hand)

and yeah they deprecated the slack to irc thing years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I got tired of janitoring a bouncer on linode and switched to irccloud because it's still just five bucks a month for persistent connections and it actually doesn't suck to use on my phone for the single remaining IRC channel I'm in