Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

hold on, firing up my pirated copy of mIRC to take screenshots for e-cred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

yeah combining the world's two most overcomplicated protocols with tons of NAT traversal nonsense and crapshoot cross-vendor compatibility sounds like tons of fun

isn't volte all ipv6? i know it is with the providers up here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hell yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

isn't volte all ipv6? i know it is with the providers up here

if you really want to read about it https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IR.92-v7.0.pdf
it is all sip over ipsec. for ipv4 vs ipv6 UE and network has to support it, but the network doesn't have to use it. in the us verizon issues ipv6 and has been for some time but at&t, sprint/t-mobile sometimes do and sometimes don't.

quote:

5.1 IP Version
The UE and the network must support both IPv4 and IPv6 for all protocols that are used for
the VoIP application: SIP, SDP, RTP, RTCP and XCAP/HTTP. At PS attach, the UE must
request the PDN type: IPv4v6, as specified in section 5.3.1.1 in 3GPP TS 23.401 [10]. If both
IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are assigned for the UE, the UE must prefer to IPv6 address type
when the UE discovers the P-CSCF.
After the UE has discovered the P-CSCF and registered to IMS with a particular IP address
(IPv4 or IPv6), the UE must use that same address for all SIP, SDP and RTP/RTCP
communication, as long as the IMS registration is valid.

(UE is user equipment)

for codecs it must support AMR but what is usually marketed as volte is communication using the AMR-WB codec. the difference is the latter goes up to 23.85 kbit/s instead of 12.2kbit/s. transport is udp.

i am greatly alarmed at how much sense gsma documents make to me now but it is part of my job i guess so :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

hbag posted:

anyway here it is

look at it, its cool

textual was always my favorite for connecting to my big gay channel, though it's mac-only

that's right, i actually paid real human money for an IRC client like a fuckin' bitch

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Progressive JPEG posted:

but that said i like the idea of interacting with my existing slack/discord stuff via an irc client, and i assume theyve locked that poo poo down hard by now to make sure i can't do that

The matrix team is leaning big into bridges for services, just fyi. At last check there's pretty workable bridges for Slack, Discord, IRC, etc.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

shoeberto posted:

You can absolutely continue to use whatever client you like, but we're all cranky old nerds, so no one is gonna give a poo poo about your screenshots unless you're writing your own client from scratch.

i did this using python and wxwidgets as one of my first ever programming projects. i added a bridge between irc and aim so we could talk to one guy that usually didn’t log in to irc but was always on aim

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Haven't used IRC since I left the Sailor Moon channel I was a regular in back in '01 or so. I should get back into it since I am also old.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

my big gay channel had like 100 regulars i knew by nick and 200 or so people hanging out at any one time at one point and then slowly just kinda dwindled over the last few years until it was me and a few other weird dudes occasionally posting a message into the void

as recently as like 2018 we were still getting new people though, mostly young weirdos like hbag into using the grandpa protocols but still. discord getting mainstream-popular really just completely gutted it in ways no other thing was ever quite able to

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

if you really want to read about it https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IR.92-v7.0.pdf
it is all sip over ipsec. for ipv4 vs ipv6 UE and network has to support it, but the network doesn't have to use it. in the us verizon issues ipv6 and has been for some time but at&t, sprint/t-mobile sometimes do and sometimes don't.

(UE is user equipment)

for codecs it must support AMR but what is usually marketed as volte is communication using the AMR-WB codec. the difference is the latter goes up to 23.85 kbit/s instead of 12.2kbit/s. transport is udp.

i am greatly alarmed at how much sense gsma documents make to me now but it is part of my job i guess so :shrug:

*in extremely wide eyed and disheveled crazy person voice* it's a PDU man everything's a PDU! it's all PDUs!! they're putting all the protocols in the PDUs man nothing can stop them now nothing!

VoLTE goes over a completely separate network interface on a reserved APN. As far as I know this stuff is all handled in the baseband for every mobile chipset other than idk I guess iOS maybe runs all that stuff on the application processor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

couldn’t really comment, I only work with data only devices, Verizon still pushes random PDP contexts for sms and voice though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

(UE is user equipment)

i didn't, really, but i appreciate the info anyway because it's interesting stuff

Sapozhnik posted:

VoLTE goes over a completely separate network interface on a reserved APN.

without having any direct insight into it, this is what i assumed given the way it's enabled on the handset

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 25, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/therealgelfie/status/1463691852616396800

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

tolko zhaesh, poshli ikh na X
ne umru ya, moi drug, nikogda!

the irssi and perl scripting chat does remind me of hueg.pl, the greatest invention in all of chat history

sad that between general perl unreadableness and that script's particular garbage implementation i could never figure out how to get it to render cyrillic, but more sad that no equivalent exists on slack or discord

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the greatest invention in all of chat history

the greatest invention in all of chat history is buttbot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

honestly, in my opinion its the only worthwhile software.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rotor posted:

the greatest invention in all of chat history is buttbot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if i had any cause to get on irc again i think i'd toss khaled the :20bux: for mirc in exchange for my past unregistered use, and out of respect for 26 years of continuous updates.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wrote a hotline bot that put all mentions of '[x] is/are [y]' in a big hash and then replied with [y] when people said 'what is/are [x]' etc

it was gloriously bad

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i still dont know whats up with my channel names
why should i have redacted some of them
idgi

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

i wrote a hotline bot that put all mentions of '[x] is/are [y]' in a big hash and then replied with [y] when people said 'what is/are [x]' etc

it was gloriously bad
That could be a big hit on discord

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

idgi

eh, depends on how much you care about getting doxxed or how careful you are at other levels. you are probably uniquely identified by the channels shown, and at minimum that means anyone can find out where you're connected from.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

eh, depends on how much you care about getting doxxed or how careful you are at other levels. you are probably uniquely identified by the channels shown, and at minimum that means anyone can find out where you're connected from.

lol im running thelounge on the loving SDF metaarray, all they'd see is their IP

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

hbag posted:

lol im running thelounge on the loving SDF metaarray, all they'd see is their IP

no loving way, sdf is still a thing? amazing

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

chaosbreather posted:

no loving way, sdf is still a thing? amazing

it has kept going since 1987 yeah

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

hbag posted:

idgi

You're in a couple of known IDF fronts. Ultimately you're contributing to the oppression of Palestine. Sorry you had to learn this way OP.

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

rotor posted:

the greatest invention in all of butt history is buttbot

ahem

shoeberto posted:

You're in a couple of known IDF fronts. Ultimately you're contributing to the oppression of Palestine. Sorry you had to learn this way OP.

til new info about the SCP Foundation

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

secretly containing palestine

learn something new every day

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kdrudy posted:

Haven't used IRC since I left the Sailor Moon channel I was a regular in back in '01 or so. I should get back into it since I am also old.

I used to hang out on the #dwarffortress and a couple other FOSS channels since they were a good resource for getting instant answers to questions. I stopped after someone stared just spamming the #dwarffortress channel with loli on a daily basis.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hbag posted:

anyway here it is

look at it, its cool

this looks epic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 WARP

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I used to hang out on the #dwarffortress and a couple other FOSS channels since they were a good resource for getting instant answers to questions. I stopped after someone stared just spamming the #dwarffortress channel with loli on a daily basis.

i mean, at least they were technically on theme

CMYK BLYAT!
Nov 7, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

secretly containing palestine

:vince:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

irc is still cool imho

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

irc is still cool imho

Have you ever had to switch servers? Like going through the freenode/libera split.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Just wanted to hear from someone firsthand what it was like to squeeze with all your friends into one of those tiny cars.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Have you ever had to switch servers? Like going through the freenode/libera split.

as someone who helped move a channel in the freenode/libera split it was pretty painless, everyone moved over in the first 48 hours and after that the new freenode owner got all pissy about the exodus and started loving with the chanserv database to take ownership of any channel that mentioned libera in its topic so that sealed the deal for anyone who didn't move over early on

the most annoying part was getting a hold of the lowtaxian absentee site owner who runs a site our channel is vaguely affiliated with so he could switch the IRC link in the header

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

I first went on irc in 1993 for about 90 seconds, thought "I hate this" and logged off. my opinion hasn't changed in the interval, I apparently have an allergy to realtime chat

irc has always blowed. aol had better chat rooms