Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

BMan posted:

comes out of the loving ground! you cannot lose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PokeJoe posted:

My dad is an IRL machinst. What's it called when I call him and ask him how to machine a part and then I do it

informal ad hoc apprenticeship

is that buzzy enough

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

we've always gotten along, but this hurts

target purchased the canadian chain "zellers" for some ungodly sum so that they had this huge nationwide presence, then hosed up their supply chain so badly that there was literally nothing on the shelves for like nine months, then they shut them all down and now there aren't any targets in canada

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

target purchased the canadian chain "zellers" for some ungodly sum so that they had this huge nationwide presence, then hosed up their supply chain so badly that there was literally nothing on the shelves for like nine months, then they shut them all down and now there aren't any targets in canada

god remember zellers restaurants? friggin' want a hot chicken sandwich now

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

As a German, I just scan all the EAN codes on the items I grab in the store with my phone and then scan the "checkout code" at the self-checkout and throw cash into/hold my credit/debit card or phone next to the automated register and leave. The American empire truly is falling apart

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Spice World War II posted:

As a German, I just scan all the EAN codes on the items I grab in the store with my phone and then scan the "checkout code" at the self-checkout and throw cash into/hold my credit/debit card or phone next to the automated register and leave. The American empire truly is falling apart

same in hellworld UK

and once a year I get an email saying "congrats, you are the number 1 purchaser of X at your local superstore!" which is pretty funny.

apparently my most frequent purchase is spring onions which I can only assume is because it doesn't have a generic item for "booze"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

in canuckistan we have to do the individual scanning of items at the self checkout like freedomlanders but we've also had tap and before that chip and pin and tap for credit and debit cards for about as long as europe has because we already had a national interbank/point of sale system that was pretty easy to update in one big go when those technologies showed up. I haven't been to a shop that hasn't supported tap in probably eight or nine years, and swipe bank cards for using direct debit at point of sale haven't existed since 2012

we haven't quite managed europe levels of shopping convenience but we're at least capable of doing point of sale stuff right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

and once a year I get an email saying "congrats, you are the number 1 purchaser of X at your local superstore!" which is pretty funny.

oh i like that idea

"congrats, you are the number one purchaser of [PETITE PECKER BRAND XX-SMALL CONDOMS] in the entire country! you have now been made mayor of [PETITE PECKER BRAND XX-SMALL CONDOMS] and will show up as the official brand ambassador on our website!"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Truman Peyote posted:

it was astoundingly bad, and southern ontarians were excited about target coming in. it should have been a slam dunk but instead businesses like canadian tire persist and walmart has further taken over :/

(walmart here is, while still an awful shopping experience in a lot of ways, better on average than walmarts in the usa though)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

oh i like that idea

"congrats, you are the number one purchaser of [PETITE PECKER BRAND XX-SMALL CONDOMS] in the entire country! you have now been made mayor of [PETITE PECKER BRAND XX-SMALL CONDOMS] and will show up as the official brand ambassador on our website!"

the big data insights we deserve

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

it was astoundingly bad, and southern ontarians were excited about target coming in. it should have been a slam dunk but instead businesses like canadian tire persist and walmart has further taken over :/

(walmart here is, while still an awful shopping experience in a lot of ways, better on average than walmarts in the usa though)

If I remember right, wasn't Zellers also seen as a less desirable brand and Target taking all those spots inherited some of that feeling even before the logistics gently caress ups?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

zellers was always a "discount" department store, but afaik no worse than target is in the states. the issue was the top to bottom failure to launch, no inventory in massive stores, and higher prices than cross-border consumers were used to seeing in american target stores

they were selling similar items for higher prices than walmart, in stores that were often at most a kilometre or two from a walmart. they were more expensive for common items that zellers themselves had carried in those same stores months earlier.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

where did you come from
where did you go
where did you come from,
cat face joe

Doctor Rope

meijer stores have that and it rules. nothing like having everyone give you the side eye when you slide up to the 12 items or less self scan with a full cart

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Kazinsal posted:

god remember zellers restaurants? friggin' want a hot chicken sandwich now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

as a Canadian, lol target

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

walmart has this but you have to subscribe to walmart plus to get it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

these user stories are getting out of hand

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my local grocery store has that, but you use a hand scanner. i don't think you can use your phone but idk. it also makes buying produce annoying since you have to weigh and print out a label rather than just doing it at the register. idk whatever

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

weighing and printing out the label is fun! maybe thats just me. like to me "printing" means black and white on letter paper so anything fancier, like thermal printers and label printers, is magical and full of wonder

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

instacart shoppers check out this way in regular grocery stores in the US too. they probably don’t let individuals do it because makes theft a little easier.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

kdrudy posted:

If I remember right, wasn't Zellers also seen as a less desirable brand and Target taking all those spots inherited some of that feeling even before the logistics gently caress ups?

the thing i remember is more affluent people actually getting excited about target coming because they viewed it as "discount but not trashy" unlike walmart, zellers, etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

the thing i remember is more affluent people actually getting excited about target coming because they viewed it as "discount but not trashy" unlike walmart, zellers, etc

yeah my mom is one of those types and she loving haaaaates walmart but just purely for 'they're so trashy' terriblereasons

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah my mom is one of those types and she loving haaaaates walmart but just purely for 'they're so trashy' terriblereasons

trashy isn't really the right word, they're just so understaffed that nothing gets stocked and you have to dodge pallets in the middle of the floor. also, they have weird walmart only versions of a lot of major brands so you can't actually trust anything purchased from them to be any good. target at least has the "real" products.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

No, she actually hates going to walmart because 'poor people are ugly and fat' and she doesn't want to be around their customers

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

welp bad news about targets too, but maybe thats just because i live where targets are more common than grocery stores

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

target is basically the slightly upscale walmart. they treat their employees about 5% better than walmart (so, still terribly) and the merch is about 5% better quality than walmart. the big thing is that they spend a little bit of money on branding and making the stores look nice so people can shop there and feel "at least im not shopping at loving walmart"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my parents do that but im not installing a grocery app on my phone. they will never get my email address!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

No, she actually hates going to walmart because 'poor people are ugly and fat' and she doesn't want to be around their customers

wow sounds like you need to buy her a working monitor

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FMguru posted:

target is basically the slightly upscale walmart. they treat their employees about 5% better than walmart (so, still terribly) and the merch is about 5% better quality than walmart. the big thing is that they spend a little bit of money on branding and making the stores look nice so people can shop there and feel "at least im not shopping at loving walmart"

it dawned on me the only material difference is in how target refuses to pile poo poo on skids in the middle of the aisles

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive had pretty good luck with target brand clothes. i had some mossimo shirts that were good. also had good luck with kohls brands. walmart brands werent near as good

this information is way out of date though, idk if it's still that way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

it dawned on me the only material difference is in how target refuses to pile poo poo on skids in the middle of the aisles

nah, if you go buy say a 24" screen from target it'll be the normal xyz24 instead of the walmart exclusive xyz24a which is 720p

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we went to a macy's in a mall san jose when we lived there. it was the single worst store ive ever been in. the bottom floor was completely empty of humans other than us and one woman who was kinda poking around. clothes were on racks just kind of haphazardly shoved together in huge rows. some of them were knocked over. everything was dirty, lights were flickering, and there were boxes laying around. it was fuckin weird. orders of magnitude worse than any walmart ive been to.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

nah, if you go buy say a 24" screen from target it'll be the normal xyz24 instead of the walmart exclusive xyz24a which is 720p

it’s this

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm wondering where she shops that people aren't fat and ugly.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

we went to a macy's in a mall san jose when we lived there. it was the single worst store ive ever been in. the bottom floor was completely empty of humans other than us and one woman who was kinda poking around. clothes were on racks just kind of haphazardly shoved together in huge rows. some of them were knocked over. everything was dirty, lights were flickering, and there were boxes laying around. it was fuckin weird. orders of magnitude worse than any walmart ive been to.

There was a local department store, Kaufmann's, that had an eight story flagship building with everything under the sun from furniture to furs.

Macy's bought them and just utterly destroyed that building within five years. By the time they closed the location only two floors were open and the rest of the building was cordoned off and slowly rotting.

Supposedly they did that with Wannamakers in Philadelphia too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

macys whole business model is anything that's not their store brand is managed and staffed by the brands themselves so a macys store is actually dozens of microstores with the same point of sale system and someone who works for calvin klein has no interest in picking up a bunch of adidas crap someone dropped in the aisle

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

i thought the core issue with walmart was the whole thing where they turn small towns into walmart company towns, suck all the resources out of the place, then close the store, not "its so trashy"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rotor posted:

i thought the core issue with walmart was the whole thing where they turn small towns into walmart company towns, suck all the resources out of the place, then close the store, not "its so trashy"

that and making suppliers offers they can't refuse until they're entirely dependent on selling exclusively to walmart

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

both things can be true

And yeah they closed all those loving neighborhood markets because they did their job, which was to murder the corner stores and make people drive over to the Supercenter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

and lower-quality walmart-specific lines of everything