Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rotor posted:

i thought the core issue with walmart was the whole thing where they turn small towns into walmart company towns, suck all the resources out of the place, then close the store, not "its so trashy"

I thought it was both. I'm a little surprised small towns are still clinging to life. They're definitely aging very quickly, so it's probably just a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

there was an NHK show a few months back about a remote fishing village with a very chill and happy lifestyle, but they were aging out so hard. the government made a little program to basically subsidize young parents to move out and bring their kids with, and each one of the little five year olds basically have like 80 doting grandparents apiece. All the oldies love the kids bouncing around and the kids get a lot of attention and cool cultural stuff in their upbringing. the graduation ceremony where the older kids go off from middle school to a high school in the 'big city' is so wistful but a lot of them end up coming back to raise their own families.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

qirex posted:

macys whole business model is anything that's not their store brand is managed and staffed by the brands themselves so a macys store is actually dozens of microstores with the same point of sale system and someone who works for calvin klein has no interest in picking up a bunch of adidas crap someone dropped in the aisle

what was that insane company that ran everything as a competitive/adversarial model so you'd have one set of sales people loving over the other

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what was that insane company that ran everything as a competitive/adversarial model so you'd have one set of sales people loving over the other

that was jc penney when they got gutted by bain capital iirc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

also sears when they made a libertarian ceo iirc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

oh yeah sears, that was it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

leper khan posted:

I thought it was both. I'm a little surprised small towns are still clinging to life. They're definitely aging very quickly, so it's probably just a matter of time.

The town I grew up in was on it's way out for decades by the time Walmart showed up, but when a supercenter opened in 1996 that was the end of that. All the main drag small businesses closed within two years and you couldn't buy anything higher than Walmart quality without driving two hours to Harrisburg.

There was a nearly century old furniture store in town which sold expensive (for small town PA) stuff but it was stuff you kept and gave to your kids. Walmart comes to town, people quit shopping at the nice place, it closes, and before too long Walmart is your only option for furniture. Enjoy!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

you’re probably thinking of sears as managed by a eddie lampert, a guy who jacks it to Aymara rand novels

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

rjmccall posted:

and lower-quality walmart-specific lines of everything

lower quality and lower cost

like i dont fault walmart for driving costs down to the absolute minimum. Some people want/need that. The problem is when its the only place you can buy anything because they've driven everyone else out of business.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

aww man im missing store chat!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

lower quality and lower cost

like i dont fault walmart for driving costs down to the absolute minimum. Some people want/need that. The problem is when its the only place you can buy anything because they've driven everyone else out of business.
once they drive all the other competition in an area out, they raise the prices and start squeezing their employees even harder. captive market and a captive workforce, what a blast. and if the employees push back or organize, the store gets shut down and now every single person in dickbutt county has to drive an hour to the next county over to do even basic grocery shopping

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

haveblue posted:

also sears when they made a libertarian ceo iirc

that was it, that was some funny poo poo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

god remember zellers restaurants? friggin' want a hot chicken sandwich now

i dont know what zellers is but a spicy fried chicken sandwich sounds very good rightg now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

you have to subscribe to walmart plus to get it

lmfao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Target is absolutely not better than Walmart and anyone who shops there just because it's not Walmart is dumb.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

while stupid, lighting and colors and such do influence your attitude

walmart is just viscerally loving miserable in a way target is not, not sure what specifically in those parameters does that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Target is absolutely not better than Walmart and anyone who shops there just because it's not Walmart is dumb.

they cant do the gutting communities and being monopoly stores thing at least cuz theyre way more dense-suburb and urban than walmart

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also target's just generically anti-union, in the same way that home depot and every other store doesn't want to actually give the workers power. as opposed to the rabidly anti-union stance of walmart, which will just shut down a store because somebody saw somebody else with a UFCW pamphlet.

and of course then amazon waltzes in like "hold my beer and watch this"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

k-mart
caldor
sears

all miserable in the same way

sears never had groceries though

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

the thing about walmart having shittier versions of products manufactured for them as a cost-cutting measure is definitely true. afaik target doesnt do that. not to say theres not bad things about target too but that one thing does hold.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps

Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

the thing about walmart having shittier versions of products manufactured for them as a cost-cutting measure is definitely true. afaik target doesnt do that. not to say theres not bad things about target too but that one thing does hold.

nah its basically become industry standard. this is basically just segmentation, a b2b make-actual-things version of the four-column "lovely | we expect most peeps to buy this one | the gilded expensive thing | call up an actual person and fork over 250k for onprem and real service from peeps who know computer, friendo" screen you get in b2b saas land

minimum product quality is a tad higher for target but thats only cuz they dont have monopoly power most places they operate

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 14, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 21, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

post hole digger posted:

target doesn't specifically get shittier versions than the "normal" ones, but it's now kinda standard for some types of items to supply different SKUs to each retailer with incredibly minor differences

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

mystes posted:

Target is absolutely not better than Walmart

i'm pretty sure it is. Like "better than walmart" is a low bar to clear, but they cleared it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier
of the Neil Bush Torch

teh butts

Plorkyeran posted:

target doesn't specifically get shittier versions than the "normal" ones, but it's now kinda standard for some types of items to supply different SKUs to each retailer with incredibly minor differences

this is generally to defeat price matching, not to cost-engineer everything into the sub-sub-basement

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

target does seem to love getting a custom red sku of stuff.

they even once asked me if a blue piece of networking equipment could be custom ordered in red once. a level of concern for brand colors only otherwise seen at cellular network operators.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

someone earlier mentioned target having nice point of sale stuff. that's because they got hacked entirely in 2013; they were still running mid-80s 386 computers for their POS before that. think it cost them like a hundred million or so in direct damages, plus they got sued

i'm one of those people who will avoid shopping at walmart and go to target instead, but it's more that it's a lot closer than anything. not supporting an anti-union store is a nice plus

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

where did you come from
where did you go
where did you come from,
cat face joe

Doctor Rope

most people here have probably read this article and it's 15 years old now but it gives a good idea on how walmart drives down costs

https://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-who-said-no-wal-mart

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i go to Target because i can walk there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

same for the classic gallon pickle jar article (coincidentally also on fastcompany and from around the same time):

https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps

Nap Ghost

Broken Machine posted:

someone earlier mentioned target having nice point of sale stuff. that's because they got hacked entirely in 2013; they were still running mid-80s 386 computers for their POS before that. think it cost them like a hundred million or so in direct damages, plus they got sued

i'm one of those people who will avoid shopping at walmart and go to target instead, but it's more that it's a lot closer than anything. not supporting an anti-union store is a nice plus

target is still anti-union, its just that in comparison to walmart they're a wisp in the wind

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

target has the best app-order-pickup experience

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Broken Machine posted:

it's interesting to note that their store/credit card doesn't have a magnetic strip on them at all. Just a smartchip on the card.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

i'm pretty sure it is. Like "better than walmart" is a low bar to clear, but they cleared it.

this is correct

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

on the dystopian side, target has also built an extremely intricate loss prevention apparatus and they have a crime lab in minneapolis that is more sophisticated than many police departments

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

not immediately blaming then shooting the nearest black person makes them more sophisticated than many police departments

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps

Nap Ghost

Sweevo posted:

not immediately blaming then shooting the nearest black person makes them more sophisticated than many police departments

they batch the black peep blaming until its grand theft not petty, famously

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i vaguely recall target loss prevention noting who the thieves were and holding off on busting them until they crossed the threshold between misdemeanor and felony theft

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FMguru posted:

i vaguely recall target loss prevention noting who the thieves were and holding off on busting them until they crossed the threshold between misdemeanor and felony theft

exactly right

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

there isnt a single walmart anywhere near boston. like 30-45 minute drive to the suburbs at minimum. we have a ton of targets, including one next to fenway park that sells booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ive been to walmart exactly once since i moved to denver 7 years ago. we were out of cat food so i hopped off the bus halfway home.

Place looked like a bombed out fuckin war zone, rotten produce, just horrible

looked it up and it opened up like a year before then. lol.