Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hobbesmaster posted:

the biggest risk to software enabled branded audio :laugh:

why should i have 3 guys test this new software release for a product people already bought? we already have their money lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

and every thursday afternoon i have a phone call with our denmark quality and customer service department and tell them that we’re definitely going to start testing this and they then releases soon. all these problems are basically already fixed trust me. for 3 years

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

we have a bug on a $2500 speaker system that customers have been calling to complain about since september 2019, and it’s been fixed since october 2019, but i literally haven’t been able to get my boss to approve the ~2 weeks of testing resources needed to release the fix to customers. lol
It's bad enough that none of this poo poo ever gets updates... the idea that someone in the company that makes it might have actually fixed it in a day and then the company was just too lazy to release it is even more infuriating.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mystes posted:

It's bad enough that none of this poo poo ever gets updates... the idea that someone in the company that makes it might have actually fixed it in a day and then the company was just too lazy to release it is even more infuriating.

it’s more likely than you think

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fart simpson posted:

we have a bug on a $2500 speaker system that customers have been calling to complain about since september 2019, and it’s been fixed since october 2019, but i literally haven’t been able to get my boss to approve the ~2 weeks of testing resources needed to release the fix to customers. lol

lol nice

we haven't had a dedicated qa resources for....5 years? every deployment we do has like 10 mandatory fields for "did you test it? Did QA test it? Did you do functional testing? attach evidence for all of these! no it must be a URL not text!" And every time I just mark all as yes and put in a URL for the release notes because gently caress that

if/when I get pulled up on it I'm just gonna say "well we would need a 20-30% overhead to do this so should we just do less or...?" and the answer is always always always "we need to deliver!"

e: our failed change rate is miniscule so I'd also point to that!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i think if i had to point at just one thing that got me to start looking for an exit at my last job it was this. i had to have this fight on a monthly basis and it was just wearing me down

well that and being promised that my team wouldn’t be held to the completely arbitrary numbers i pulled out of my rear end and we all know how well that promise holds up

this is me right now, it sucks op

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

fart simpson posted:

not me but one of my coworkers worked on a speaker that had a few battery fires yeah

also ive worked on stuff that we had to stop sales on for various reasons (we kicked the can on upcoming compliance reasons or we got sued for violating gpl crap)

lol

thanks for sharing all this though, i find the almost but not quite the same parallel universe hardware lives in to be real interesting

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 24, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

fart simpson posted:

and every thursday afternoon i have a phone call with our denmark quality and customer service department and tell them that we’re definitely going to start testing this and they then releases soon. all these problems are basically already fixed trust me. for 3 years

is the company headquartered in denmark or are danes just incredibly fussy about their speakers not working and file the most complaints

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol nice

we haven't had a dedicated qa resources for....5 years? every deployment we do has like 10 mandatory fields for "did you test it? Did QA test it? Did you do functional testing? attach evidence for all of these! no it must be a URL not text!" And every time I just mark all as yes and put in a URL for the release notes because gently caress that

if/when I get pulled up on it I'm just gonna say "well we would need a 20-30% overhead to do this so should we just do less or...?" and the answer is always always always "we need to deliver!"

e: our failed change rate is miniscule so I'd also point to that!

we have qa people thank christ but often not enough dedicated machines for them to work on stuff simultaneously with devs trying to develop so that's fun

i don't think it's even a matter of cost (though the machines do each cost significantly more than a deece car) it's a matter of floor space in the lab cuz they're fuckin' enormous. we're supposedly getting a brand new office in a brand new building that's still being built and it will have a much bigger lab so that'll be nice at least

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

the current lab is also like, right up by the entrance, with big glass pane walls so everyone visiting can see people hard at work on our fancy flagship product running on the Very Expensive and Complicated Machines, so as a result everyone tries to avoid having to work in there as much as possible because lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

is the company headquartered in denmark or are danes just incredibly fussy about their speakers not working and file the most complaints

what does your heart tell you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

what does your heart tell you

yes to both?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

yes to both?

I assume a former bang and olufsen office

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in news that will not particularly surprise anyone here, no one has a good answer to a normal person asking "why should I connect my dishwasher to the internet"

quote:

LG Electronics Inc. said that less than half of the smart appliances it has sold stay connected to the internet—a number it is actively working to increase, according to Henry Kim, the U.S. director of ThinQ, an LG platform primarily aimed at helping products leverage advanced technology.

Whirlpool Corp. said that more than half of its smart appliances remain connected, but the company declined to be more specific.

and if your answer was "so we can continue to monetize you after the initial purchase", well, turns out normal people aren't that dumb after all

quote:

Development of these smart devices is a core priority for Whirlpool and LG, the companies said. But the proposition only works if consumers keep their smart appliances connected to Wi-Fi, and many aren’t.

“The challenge is that a consumer doesn’t see the true value that manufacturers see in terms of how that data can help them in the long run. So they don’t really care for spending time to just connect it,” said Mr. Kim.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 24, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

haveblue posted:

“The challenge is that a consumer doesn’t see the true value that manufacturers see in terms of how that data can help them in the long run. So they don’t really care for spending time to just connect it,” said Mr. Kim.

i mean i think the problem is actually that they see it too well, mr. kim

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if it would even be possible for someone to start a no computers, all parts serviceable appliance company now because there’s certainly demand for it but it might mean a 30 grand washing machine

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats just commercial appliances

yeah, commercial appliance business is a deec business

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Official Carrier of the Neil Bush torch

qirex posted:

I wonder if it would even be possible for someone to start a no computers, all parts serviceable appliance company now because there’s certainly demand for it but it might mean a 30 grand washing machine

i would pay double for all-mechanical appliances designed to be repairable that ship with service manuals.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

i would pay double for all-mechanical appliances designed to be repairable that ship with service manuals.

yeah but appliance manufacturing is so integrated through just a few suppliers that it would probably be at least a 5x price difference, not double

like gelanshi makes basically all the microwave ovens in the world [except for panasonic]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

webstaurantstore.com, pay attention to voltages. if it says call us minimum price is 10 grand

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

one of the problems is that sometimes consumer and commercial versions have different regulations. iirc this is why the normal speed queen washers suck now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the main real thing is that commercial stuff has as counterparty a procurement peep or exec who is supposed to and sometimes does know things, not a harried advertised at household peep

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shame Boy posted:

no but our european customer service department is headquartered there and they’re the loudest global sales region

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

webstaurantstore.com, pay attention to voltages. if it says call us minimum price is 10 grand

jesus christ a 6kw 3phase 220v dishwasher, be still my beating heart

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

rotor posted:

jesus christ a 6kw 3phase 220v dishwasher, be still my beating heart

yeah they’ve got the good poo poo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always thought most of the expense of commercial gear was because it was expected to be used continuously for at least 8 hours a day and possibly 24

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

haveblue posted:

I always thought most of the expense of commercial gear was because it was expected to be used continuously for at least 8 hours a day and possibly 24

that’s part of it. serviceability is another. also it is generally better made, as well, because it is designed to be used all the drat time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so someone reminded me that commercial dishwashers are more like autoclaves and less like residential dishwashers so idk if this is needs-suiting

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

so someone reminded me that commercial dishwashers are more like autoclaves and less like residential dishwashers so idk if this is needs-suiting
I mean it's not like they just get hot and don't use water/detergent or something. My impression is that they spray hotter water and harder than residential dishwashers. Probably the main issue would be 1) making sure all the stuff you want to wash can actually handle the temperature (it would probably melt a lot of household plastic stuff) and 2) not having the dishwasher dry the dishes.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

here's a demo of one installed in someone's home bar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKAVFBIH1c&t=60s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

yeah, commercial dishwashers are designed to be filled once at the start of the day, used continuously, and then drained and cleaned when everything is done. the ones i've used had a gas burner under the reservoir to keep the water hot. they were more like sterilizers than cleaners as the dishes had to be pretty clean before they went in, because they weren't exposed to the spray long enough to actually get any really stuck food off.

they're loud, hot, and made for continuous use. you generally don't want one of those in your home

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I bet the industrial ones are incredibly loving noisy

appliances were all from the previous owner there's a zanussi dishwasher and it's a piece of poo poo, the zanussi fridge is also poo poo, and the cooker hob is aeg and is also a piece of poo poo and the aeg hob extractor is one of those "rising" ones and that doesn't work at all.

turns out, aeg own zanussi in one big ouroboros of poo poo.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

idk what you are looking at but their overall capacity is also usually less since you are sliding in a small amount of stuff (like a single rack of plates or glasses) over and over and over and over

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The_Franz posted:

the dishes had to be pretty clean before they went in

this is the dealbreaker for me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Nap Ghost
i have a bosch dishwasher and an lg washer and dryer pair and they're good

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
my first job was washing dishes at a shithole restaurant and it sucked rear end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just got a bosch dishwasher and it's pretty ok

some stuff comes out smelling a bit like detergent, more than they did with the 10 year old frigidaire it replaced

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah commercial dishwashers are designed to get a load in and out super fast. You can't wait 3 hours for a cycle in a restaurant. The tradeoff is you have a guy prewashing all the gunk off and then the dishwasher is just dissolving the oil films and sterilizing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How dirty are all of your dishes when you put them in your dishwasher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

here's a demo of one installed in someone's home bar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKAVFBIH1c&t=60s

thats a lotta steam just being let into the kitchen air