Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

im fed up with "ai" being added to everything by credulous idiots. someone yesterday literally said "oh my friend had written a programme in python and R that uses ai to analyse emails and decide if I have capacity for tasks!" and ok sure you entire department is basically disorganised and you don't know who is doing what but the solution to that is to capture wtf you are working on not some ml model poo poo

and is a job where you are allocated tasks based on an ML model and punished for failure through the pile up of tasks really a state to aim for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

That's pretty yikes if that gets applied and enforced

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

gonadic io posted:

there are already companies that will install tracking/monitoring sensors in desks to profile employees so it's the logical outcome, what CEO could possibly resist being able to reduce employees to interchangeable spheres of uniform density?

anyway what this teams needs is a shared calendar and some actual management, not an AI model of emails

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gaming my ai inbox so i never have to work

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

PokeJoe posted:

how do I achieve 500k a year touching computer

con your way into being a Principle Engineer at a FAANG, sky's the limit at that point

Soricidus
Oct 20, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

I already have like 42069 unread emails in my inbox, there’s no way I have the capacity to do anything else on top of my mission critical shitposting

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL. I SINK ALL COFFINS AND I SINK ALL HEARSES HARD. MAKING WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SPIT MY LAST BREATH AT THEE

SO DEMANDING posted:

well that was a weird 400+ unread posts
i had a good read last night and this morning and i’ve renewed faith in the healing power of shitposting

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Krankenstyle posted:

gaming my ai inbox so i never have to work

emailing myself a picture of this turtle to trick the ai

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Soricidus posted:

I already have like 42069 unread emails in my inbox, there’s no way I have the capacity to do anything else on top of my mission critical shitposting

I'm sorry to tell you the AI says your poo poo posting is only at 75% of predicted capacity, you need to post more otherwise we're going to have to terminate you

you have to understand, we have to think of the shareholders....

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wheany posted:

emailing myself a picture of this turtle to trick the ai

be careful :ohdear:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

sorry we think you're a fine worker but the ai has flagged you for termination. not really sure why since you're hitting targets, might just be a glitch, but we have to do what the ai says

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

attn: all posters

the posting profile for this thread (based on an advanced AI model*) shows there has been a marked decline in the number of posts itt over the last few days from the model baseline**, please rectify this situation*** or we will be forced to dock your pay****

yours,

management

* we average the number of posts per day

**we only look at 5 days data

***stymie got probed

****lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

our metrics have shown that engagement in yospos increases 420% whenever stymie posts. therefore we have unbanned stymie

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

admin290

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your pharmacist if tarsier-ashpool is right for you

i'm disappointed stymie caught a ban for being too good at trolling. i'd like to think these forums reward excellence rather than punish it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

the mods are extremely bad

Zlodo
Nov 24, 2006

:rip::dogtits:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i'm disappointed stymie caught a ban for being too good at trolling. i'd like to think these forums reward excellence rather than punish it

stymie caught a ban for sexist/lovely opinions espoused mid meltdown not because of their trolling.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

gonadic io posted:

heard a blurb on the radio this morning about companies that are already using ~AI~ to analyze the expressions of job applicants in real time during interviews

presumably to ensure they're not too ethnic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

i guess that's old news: https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/ai-is-now-analyzing-candidates-facial-expressions-during-video-job-interviews.html

quote:

That's already been happening for more than a year to applicants for entry-level jobs at multinational corporation Unilever, maker of Dove soap and Lipton tea among many other consumer products. Applicants, who often find the company's job opportunities through Facebook or LinkedIn, can skip uploading their resumés and simply use their LinkedIn profiles if they wish. They then spend about 20 minutes playing a dozen neuroscience-based games intended to evaluate their personalities for such things as embracing or avoiding risk, to see if their personalities are a good fit for the particular job.

Then they perform a video interview, with preset questions, which they can do on a smartphone or tablet as well as a computer. That's where AI comes in, measuring their facial expressions to capture their moods and further assess their personality traits. (Does the AI also evaluate their truthfulness? The company isn't saying, but given the vast body of knowledge about spotting truth or lies from facial expressions, you have to assume that it is, or at least that it's evaluating honesty as one of the candidate's personality traits.) The software, provided by a company called HireVue, selects what it believes are the best matches and returns those to a human recruiter, along with notes from the AI about what it observed in each candidate. Many other major employers, from Dunkin Donuts to IBM to Carnival Cruise Lines to the Boston Red Sox are using the service as well.

this entire process sounds hilarious and awful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

stymie caught a ban for sexist/lovely opinions espoused mid meltdown not because of their trolling.

no one else would have received more than a probe for that, so no. the ban even references their rap sheet

anyway: facebook sues NSO because only they are allowed to spy on their users

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

quote:

Believe it or not, there are a lot of advantages to this approach, both for the employer and the candidate. For one thing, it creates convenience on both sides, allowing candidates to be interviewed whenever they want, and recruiters to review those interviews on their own schedules.

actually this horrible machine panopticon is good because it gives you convenience!!!

quote:

Unilever also claims this new approach has contributed to ethnic diversity, with what it calls a "significant" increase in non-white hires. (The company says it was already at parity when it comes to gender.) This makes sense: Human recruiters, however well intentioned, are subject to unconscious bias that properly trained AI may be able to avoid.

god dammit no AI is not some magic unbiased miracle device that can solve fundamentally societal problems aaaaa

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also in ai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtgpWXM5Hfg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

actually this horrible machine panopticon is good because it gives you convenience!!!

god dammit no AI is not some magic unbiased miracle device that can solve fundamentally societal problems aaaaa

"properly trained AI"

what does this proper training look like? well, we don't know, but surely the results must indicate that it's true

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"properly trained AI" is a handwave

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we trained this bias engine to remove all bias

why yes, that would make it exactly as effective as a coin flip

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/leftoblique/status/1188995381041844226?s=19

E:
https://twitter.com/gmgunion/status/1188969199835779073?s=19

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 30, 2019

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

we trained this bias engine to remove all bias

why yes, that would make it exactly as effective as a coin flip

No you see we're keeping only the good bias

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012
Tell your mum I said hi lol

rotor is still alive and posts?!?!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder: if you're not pushing for unionization at your workplace, you're doing it wrong.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

sorry we think you're a fine worker but the ai has flagged you for termination. not really sure why since you're hitting targets, might just be a glitch, but we have to do what the ai says

this is unironically amazon warehouses right now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

reaction time is a factor in this so please pay attention

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

no one has found his phylactery yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

reaction time is a factor in this so please pay attention

i feel like some of this is self selecting. it's one thing if you don't have any other options, but if you're just shopping around for work and someone pulls this poo poo, you almost certainly don't want to work there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

no one has found his phylactery yet

it's a palm pre 2 in the bottom of a workshop junk drawer

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL. I SINK ALL COFFINS AND I SINK ALL HEARSES HARD. MAKING WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SPIT MY LAST BREATH AT THEE

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

some things are worth coming out of retirement for

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

it's a palm pre 2 in the bottom of a workshop junk drawer
yes, but which one?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

no one else would have received more than a probe for that, so no. the ban even references their rap sheet

yeah, that happens to a lot of habitual shitposters

weird how if you make a bunch of extra work for volunteers they don't like you much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whatever. moderation here has always been capricious and arbitrary, i'm not suggesting it's some great injustice or something. it's just funny getting banned for casting a line into the water and having your boat sunk by all the fish flinging themselves bodily into it for hours on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

"properly trained AI"

what does this proper training look like? well, we don't know, but surely the results must indicate that it's true

i am willing to bet that for this use case it's one that just gives a normal distribution