Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

The Fool posted:

put those saw blades on a fleet of dirt bikes and you have a bond chase scene

motocross-cut

e: god drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 9, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mystes posted:

Pelaton should partner with this guy to expand to bicycles for outdoor use:

mad max: icy road

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

just slap a rubber fender on there, it's fine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mystes posted:

hell yeah

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Peloton pulled off a Soylent and took an old, established product (exercise equipment / meal replacement shakes) and convinced people that it was a ~~disruptive invention~~ by putting the barest sheen of "internet" over it, advertising it to people outside of the fitness market, and selling it for twice the price. You can get a NordicTrack equivalent of the Peloton bike for $1000 less, and it even has options for all the same online class stuff. The only difference is that NordicTrack has been in the business long enough to make equipment that isn't likely to get kids killed.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

mystes posted:

this is not very safe - the front blade is mounted backwards.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

bobmarleysghost posted:

this is not very safe - the front blade is mounted backwards.

probably deliberate to prevent accidental traction

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I changed the tires on my bikes last week and had to redo every single one of them because I mounted them backwards.

youíd think Iíd have looked at the rotation angle after the second one or something but.. see username

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

pretty sure any use of that bike is gonna end in traction

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

probably deliberate to prevent accidental traction

hm you're right, that makes sense. cool.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I think you misunderstand. Peloton likes unecessarily reinventing the wheel.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

The Fool posted:

I changed the tires on my bikes last week and had to redo every single one of them because I mounted them backwards.

youíd think Iíd have looked at the rotation angle after the second one or something but.. see username

I use Panaracer Gravel King slicks OP, they're bidirectional.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i need to buy gravel bike, been thinking about it for a while.
want to be able to take it bikepacking and also just loving around the city.
my fixed gear is like 10 years old now. still runs smooth as gently caress though.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

hm you're right, that makes sense. cool.

they ended up having to modify it from how it is in the pic, because the back blade just started cutting through the ice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_bwKW6V1lw#t=270s

they cut off the ends of the teeth, and made them into treads

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LanceHunter posted:

Peloton pulled off a Soylent and took an old, established product (exercise equipment / meal replacement shakes) and convinced people that it was a ~~disruptive invention~~ by putting the barest sheen of "internet" over it, advertising it to people outside of the fitness market, and selling it for twice the price. You can get a NordicTrack equivalent of the Peloton bike for $1000 less, and it even has options for all the same online class stuff. The only difference is that NordicTrack has been in the business long enough to make equipment that isn't likely to get kids killed.

this isnít really true about the fancier version of the tread. the bike is way too expensive and i bought one just as good without a screen for $500 cad. but the fancy tread compares pretty favourably to $10k slat treadmills. the cheaper tread i havenít heard great things about tho.

most nordictracks arenít great but the very expensive models are fine.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

was kinda surprised that wasn't Beyond the Press, but then i remembered they literally did the same thing but with a car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndmtryfiTk

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

they ended up having to modify it from how it is in the pic, because the back blade just started cutting through the ice

That's pretty funny actually

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a $500 treadmill and have Apple Fitness+ on my iPad for $6.50/mo and it's 98% of the Peleton experience.

A+ would do again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

i'm not really sure i agree with this. soylent doesn't have much traction outside the turbonerd min-max your life set, while peloton is actually successful among normal rear end people who can afford them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

put those saw blades on a fleet of dirt bikes and you have a bond chase scene

put them on bmx bikes and you have a turbo kid sequel

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

i'm not really sure i agree with this. soylent doesn't have much traction outside the turbonerd min-max your life set, while peloton is actually successful among normal rear end people who can afford them

I mean, Peloton pulled off the trick much better than Soylent did, but I'll still argue that it's the same trick.

mediaphage posted:

this isn’t really true about the fancier version of the tread. the bike is way too expensive and i bought one just as good without a screen for $500 cad. but the fancy tread compares pretty favourably to $10k slat treadmills. the cheaper tread i haven’t heard great things about tho.

most nordictracks aren’t great but the very expensive models are fine.

Fair point. Being too much of a lardass to trust treadmills, I don't have much knowledge of that area. (And yeah, NordicTrack has some really bad budget models. I mostly made the comparison because they make the most obvious Peloton clone for easy price comparison.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Endless Mike posted:

they sell soylent at like every target, wallgreens, even some 7-11's around here now, idk man

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

bobmarleysghost posted:

i need to buy gravel bike, been thinking about it for a while.
want to be able to take it bikepacking and also just loving around the city.
my fixed gear is like 10 years old now. still runs smooth as gently caress though.

I have one of these

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2021

and it does everything you could ask it to do, 22 lbs out the door in Medium.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

And I'm only saying this because I care.

There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

they sell soylent at like every target, wallgreens, even some 7-11's around here now, idk man
that's cuz Florida is tech central now!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

i think in stores like that it's catering to the same kind of person who buys amazon things because they'd never want to be seen with anything wal-mart branded. it's ensure for people who don't want to be associated with the ensure branding, which is prolly a larger market than it really should be

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Chris Knight posted:

that's cuz Florida is tech central now!

i wonder if anyone's tried to call it "silicon swamp" yet

if not that term is original idea copyright me do not steal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

oh good not only has it been taken, but it's been taken in the worst way:

quote:

Silicon Swamp is a blockchain development company building projects in the blockchain and cryptocurrencies industry.

also their website is borderline unusable so that's fun: https://siliconswamp.io/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

like seriously this is the worst website i've been to in a while, they took all the worst loving ideas from flash websites and implemented them in javascript

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

like seriously this is the worst website i've been to in a while, they took all the worst loving ideas from flash websites and implemented them in javascript

even the title briefly flashes as "React App" before changing to the actual title lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

carry on then posted:

even the title briefly flashes as "React App" before changing to the actual title lol

this is gold

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Fool posted:

idgi, how is the peloton treadmill different than a normal treadmill with a lovely screen attached?

it is (was lol) a slat treadmill.

normal treadmills use a belt and a stationary supporting plate under the belt. no matter how well kept the plate and belt are when your foot comes down the belt will get squeezed between your foot and the plate and will slow down slightly.

a slat treadmill uses something closer to what you see in a moving walkway, with a bunch of hard wide flat boards supported by ball bearings running along rails under them and driven by chains on either side. your foot striking means jack poo poo compared to the sorts of loads the ball bearings can handle without a meaningful increase in friction and as a result the feel is better or something. they are expensive because there's a bunch more moving parts involved and they are mainly found at fancy gyms.

anyway slat treadmills are much harder to make safe because the slats need more room to turn than a belt so your shields can fit as tightly, and they are extra dangerous because when they turn the slats open up between each other then close back down. that's not really a problem in a fancy gym because they don't have kids and pets running all around.

the peloton treadmill didn't even bother to implement basic physical safety poo poo like a shield and didn't include basic safety logic like stopping the motor and requiring a power cycle if a jam or unusual load is detected. in one video a kid's ball manages to completely stop the treadmill, but when it is dislodged the treadmill immediately went right back up to full speed.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Move fast and break kids

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Why does that Subaru break down every time you look at it, Travis", Punchy said. I nearly fell out of the jump seat in my Brat, aghast. "That thing a princess?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy", I said

Cold on a Cob posted:

yep that's how a kid got killed

did a kid actually get killed by a peloton treadmill? i saw the video of the kid getting pulled underneath one but he wasn't injured.

kid just toddles away at the end but might be upsetting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QMK-GRHpc

if not for that pink ball getting stuck too he absolutely could have been crushed to death. recall is the correct move

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

it is (was lol) a slat treadmill.

normal treadmills use a belt and a stationary supporting plate under the belt. no matter how well kept the plate and belt are when your foot comes down the belt will get squeezed between your foot and the plate and will slow down slightly.

a slat treadmill uses something closer to what you see in a moving walkway, with a bunch of hard wide flat boards supported by ball bearings running along rails under them and driven by chains on either side. your foot striking means jack poo poo compared to the sorts of loads the ball bearings can handle without a meaningful increase in friction and as a result the feel is better or something. they are expensive because there's a bunch more moving parts involved and they are mainly found at fancy gyms.

anyway slat treadmills are much harder to make safe because the slats need more room to turn than a belt so your shields can fit as tightly, and they are extra dangerous because when they turn the slats open up between each other then close back down. that's not really a problem in a fancy gym because they don't have kids and pets running all around.

the peloton treadmill didn't even bother to implement basic physical safety poo poo like a shield and didn't include basic safety logic like stopping the motor and requiring a power cycle if a jam or unusual load is detected. in one video a kid's ball manages to completely stop the treadmill, but when it is dislodged the treadmill immediately went right back up to full speed.

i had to look up more about its slats and...

https://www.treadmillreviewguru.com/peloton-tread-treadmill-review/

quote:

The Tread+ has a different feel underfoot than other treadmills. Since the running surface is composed of slats rather than a singular tread belt, it feels solid. The rubber slats do provide a bit of shock absorption, but it isnít the same as comparable treadmills with adjustable cushioning in the deck. We have several reviewers at Guru who regularly run on the Tread+, and each one feels some discomfort by the end of their session. Our taller and heavier reviewers notice discomfort earlier, while others are able to run longer. Peloton advertises the Tread+ as a training machine that mimics outdoor running with less cushioning and a solid foot-strike. However, fatigue time was significantly sooner on the Tread+ than on other treadmills, so we couldnít run as long or as hard as we could on the NordicTrack x32i or x22i. Even after several training sessions and long-term use, impact discomfort is still an issue.

$4295+$39/month

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Sagebrush posted:

did a kid actually get killed by a peloton treadmill? i saw the video of the kid getting pulled underneath one but he wasn't injured.

kid just toddles away at the end but might be upsetting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QMK-GRHpc

if not for that pink ball getting stuck too he absolutely could have been crushed to death. recall is the correct move

72 reports, 29 injured kids, including one with significant brain damage, and one kid killed. https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/peloton-recalls-treadmills-after-childs-death-29-child-injuries-72-accidents/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

did a kid actually get killed by a peloton treadmill?

yes

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1389944683162386432?s=20

efb

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have one of these

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2021

and it does everything you could ask it to do, 22 lbs out the door in Medium.

that looks great, i'll see about sourcing it here.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow dis wack-ass
crystal prison

Broken Machine posted:

Ö what did they expect would happen

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1390000863716970502

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Surprisingly, the CEO who was just fired for having microdosed lsd once two years ago wasn't actually fired because he microdosed lsd once two years ago.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-03/lsd-cargo-shorts-and-the-fall-of-a-high-flying-tech-ceo