Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

suppliers extending credit to customers is a normal business practice

my last job we had a line of credit in the eight figure range with one of our big suppliers

political campaigns have a history of just defaulting on these kinds of lines of credit though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They are and they were very deliberately set up by William Durant as an aspirational totem pole.

also completely hosed GM when downsizing started happening and GM didn't know how to do anything other than sell you progressively larger boats as your income went up.

in japan doesn't toyota have three "types" of dealership? basically a low, mid and high that roughly correspond to small kei cars, yaris, the stuff originally badged as scions in the US, then what americans mainly think of toyota in the mid range and then basically lexus for the high end?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boomers killed it by not making expense accounts blank checks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i signed up for nextdoor but haven’t opened the app since. they do send me a digest email. randomly getting an email full of posts from boomers angry about trash collection has been pretty entertaining imo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Americans are ultimately horrible loving people and the boomer poo poo you see on sites like nextdoor aren’t fringe, they’re mainstream.

Americans are hateful people.

it’s this, nextdoor is important to glance at so you can see how 1/3 of the people in this country view the world

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

gerontacracy is an awful form of government, especially in a country with a permanent case of nostalgia poisoning

after watching last week’s watchmen I think more nostalgia poisonings are needed imo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just use ipv6

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Penisface posted:

going to bet climate change start killing off civilization - freeing the ipv4 addresses - before anyone manages to meaningfully adopt ipv6

if you have a cell radio or phone on sprint or Verizon check the issued IP address, you may be surprised

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bulgakov posted:

wow, harvard! I'd better take note...

the point of the article is basically that if you transmit a password in plaintext ever assume it’s on”the dark web”. Considering most people reuse passwords that’d be really, really bad so this is generally good advice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i think this counts as tech buble

is there a term for “I know everything about my field, a superficial reading of this other one makes it appear simple” other than physicist?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

aren’t they already doing this because kicking success is above 95% right now

NFL moved PATs out a bit. i saw interviews from kickers (gostowski maybe?) saying it wasn’t far enough if you actually wanted PATs to not be freebies

the new thing to do is to make PATs/kicking exciting by yelling at them in press conferences, hiring coaches to completely change their technique and then whining more when the kicker misses more because it turns out if you completely change their technique they’re no longer a pro kicker level or they get hurt. there seem to be some spectacularly terrible special teams coaches in the NFL

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no it's not 95%. also they're sucking this year especially. ideally the pat position should be far enough out that the odds of making it are about double the odds of a 2 pt try imo

2pt conversions are a really low conversion rate; you’d probably have to move the PATs out another 15 yards and make it what a 50 yard kick?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

then another 5 yards would do it maybe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Gotta agree with ninja, Nick Saban needs to find the population in the United States that can kick field goals

saban made a pact with the devil belichick to dominate in all aspects of college football excepting kicking

probably one of the best pacts with the devil tbh, he gets to win championships and only have the occasional iron bowl end with a kick six

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jre posted:

Jesus christ, why didn't these people quit, why

they did

presumably they found new jobs first

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vomik posted:

I clicked on a link to that steph from aways person on twitter and her bio says she is leading a company to “redefine travel”. how is a suitcase redefining travel? and she had a link to times best inventions of the year which was a backpack, lol

here is the ad copy for one of the hottest inventions of 2019

the sleek, water-resistant nylon backpack—which is available for $195—has three pockets, as well as a number of well-placed nooks and crannies to hold all your stuff and keep it organized. A fourth separate back pocket can hold a 15-in. laptop and an adjustable side pocket can carry a water bottle. When you’re ready to catch a flight, a sleeve on the back loops over a rolling suitcase handle for easy traveling.

travel was redefined because now you have to listen to the gate agent warn you that no you can’t check your fire hazard of a suitcase until you remove the fire hazard

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"cya later plebs!" I shout as I walk through the business lane and customs and straight to the free bar

you’re clearly not familiar with US domestic air travel

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

mine was ~$400 but yeah it's pricey. if you travel every week for work you need something that can survive that and also you better be making the money where that's not gonna break the bank for you because otherwise wtf are you doing to yourself

you can buy exactly the travel pros pilots and FAs use, they likely fly even more than you do and they’re more like $250

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

presumably your tumi or whatever will be for personal use as well as business

like, i've expensed pelican cases for demo equipment but not the carry on i take all my clothes in...

might be able to claim depreciation on your taxes or something for excessive wear or whatever but i don't think you'll get much from that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

had a little think about whether someone could pull a frank abagnale in our post 9/11 world and lol yeah probably. basically if you have an airline ID you can fake the rest

it can’t be a fake airline id, there’s a database now for all that. he’d have to social engineer an identity for some airline and then all the standby/jumpseats would be reported back. there’s actual tickets issued for jumpseats these days

that said I’m sure it’s possible but much harder and might require an IT or HR person to be in on it more than anyone around abagnale was

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

clothes

but MLM

https://www.lularoe.com/shop-lularoe

"social retail" huh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

I seem to remember more than one exploit targeting the camera on a macbook. I also believe the reason why you can't remove batteries from phones now is because it fucks with Apple and Google's data for a user to be able to just disconnect a unit. The possibility of ubiquitous surveillance is just an added bonus.

Regardless I wouldn't put much faith in the 'its not possible' notion when it comes to anything with the capability to connect to the internet.

phones don't have removable batteries anymore because connectors and doors are relatively expensive and space consuming

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe they did a bad report or pm and thats the post a mod clicked the button on? :iiam:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The_Franz posted:

how the gently caress is a company that makes exercise bikes worth $10 billion dollars!?

how are we doing valuations these days? schwinn/canondale’s parent company had 54 mil in profit on 2.6billion in revenue

Canadian dollars though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Why is it even named “peloton”?

It’s like naming your product “herd”.

The peloton is for losers.

one of its big features is that you can join live classes using that screen and get encouragement from everyone else riding at the same time

the name is one of the few things that makes sense

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in which NYT is very confused about what open source software is and sides with startups whining that amazon is doing something explicitly allowed by their software license. it turns out if you give something away for free someone else that has existed for more than 12 months might be in a better position to sell the services you were hoping to offer?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/15/technology/amazon-aws-cloud-competition.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

which open source licenses have an “except if you’re a monopoly” provision?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

does open core work for anyone really

it can't really work unless you're already huge. aws/azure have a lot of open source core services but you're not paying them for the software you're paying them for the cloud service. why bother paying a startup thats just going to add a few points onto aws/azure hosting and charge for support just like the cloud providers will

its like all the startups thinking they're "disrupting" an extremely efficient mature nontech industry except this is tech so everyone truly should know better

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

my god elastic went public

of course, early investors have to cash out and if softbank or the like don't want to hold the bag then they need to go public

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the math stuff is from cal 3 of all places :psyduck:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i was expecting weird stuff like quants have for the analysis of options

then again rejecting relatively simple linear stuff like say a support vector machine is how we get people throwing neural networks at the wall and seeing what feels right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

being a bloomberg article directed at the exact people who caused this poo poo in the first place they’ll never say “they got suckered by powerpoints and a charming pony tail party dude because greedy people are predictable morons” because greedy morons are the ones who pay for Bloomberg terminals in the first place

reminds me of the ad that kept playing on bloomberg tv international or whatever the gently caress channel (i was in argentina at the time)... it was about how you could now get bloomberg terminal information anywhere! so to show truly anywhere they had a guy in a suit in a helicopter flying above an oil rig checking on his bloomberg terminal with a sat phone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the interrogations say otherwise

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the defense would be that pushing the browser change was a violation of security policy, but that’s undermined by interrogations regarding union activity

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

odds on google having an extensive and easily found with discovery documentation on them firing this person for an illegal reason?

given that google can't seem to delete anything ever, or not record every piece of data they see i'm going with 110%

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iospace posted:

It was that.

Those that didn't have union rights pulled also happened to donate to Walker's campaign. Curious, that.

iirc the bill briefly banned police unions too but mysteriously the barricades around the capital weren't manned that day allowing protesters into the capital building :iiam:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

who even uses gcs?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is google paying them to use it or something

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

the president of the usa just lowkey put out a hit on adam schiff this morning but yeah let's have faith in the americans with disabilities act

can't anyone file an ADA lawsuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

that's assuming that she isn't required to resolve allegations of wrongful termination through binding arbitration. in which case lol at her ever getting a ruling in her favor.

you still get discovery in binding arbitration and it involves a google "engineer"'s future earnings so its a multimillion dollar lawsuit