Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Suspicious Dish posted:

iunno even lovely rear end mysql was better at storing my data than mangadb

is that the one crunchyroll uses? weeb-scale database tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

can I get a best-of-both-pos that alternates amber/green?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Zlodo posted:

the most amazing goto I ever saw was something like this

code:

try
{
    // Stuff
}
catch (...)
{
   goto error;
}

if( 0 )
{
   error:
      // some error handling crap
}

How long did it take them to figure out why the code wouldn't work with optimizations.

let me guess: they had never even tried to run the code without -O0

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

you can't cast infinity to an integer

Sure you can; infinity is 0x7F800000

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

qirex posted:

berkeley is where the nimbys had an abandoned gas station declared a historic cultural artifact to block development

I bet you can't even put a real gas station there anymore :lol:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

Klan HQ in Oregon, hate to spoil it for you.

http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.org/ark:/80444/xv53018

Good cheese tho. Think twice next time you enjoy a nice sharp white cheddar :ssh:

:lol:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MononcQc posted:

the theranos story is exactly why software engineers at an org shouldn’t go around pretending nothing would work without them because even with no working product at all theranos ran for over a decade with huge contracts and management getting awards

I'm legit scared that someone could take away from theranos: "I bet I could do that too!"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

but they released an extremely generic single player rpg that i bounced off in under 10 minutes

Sort of but not really. 38 acquired the company producing that game and with it, the game.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

No, the greater one

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mediaphage posted:

i was in ca for a work thing and a work friend took me to a talk at the computer museum where zuckerzerg was speaking. honestly i'm a little surprised he's been as successful as he has, he has zero charisma and is extremely uncomfortable with public speaking. also he's terrible at it. that's my relevant story

He surrounded himself early with the right people, whether that was his goal or not. The site went viral and never had much functional competition until they were big enough to just buy everything that started to show some teeth.

My guess has always been his success was primarily luck driven. Just like everyone else.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Casual is so much better than business casual. It's take a lot to tempt me back to a place that does business casual. Maybe a room that has a door. Or a window.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I'm right wing liberal democratic party politics

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

In ID4 bill pullman's fighter jet was eagle one. That movie and air force one are hilarious because they present the idea of a president that isn't on death's doorstep.

Have you heard of metal wolf chaos?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Netflix doesn't employ any engineers.

There's probably one or two that went through certification

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

i put up a hummingbird feeder and hope to get some hummingbirds in the near future

I'm imagining a cartoonish spring trap around your feeder

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Aren't they lithium batteries? Shouldn't you _not_ put water in lithium unless you're actively seeking fire/explosion?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

so wait facebooks new idea is conference calls? lol

I read it as suck went on to a discord to announce their new idea was discord

E: phone autocorrected zuck and I'm not changing it :colbert:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

a friend of a friend works at gamestop and has a weird-rear end coworker that never shuts up about megaman battle network (so they call him battle network steve), and for years he's been taking his barely over minimum wage paycheck and buying gamestop stock long before this whole thing happened, because he genuinely believed in the value and "mission" of gamestop. then the price went through the roof, so now he won't shut up about that either, except he's not selling any of it because he thinks this is an example of the true value of gamestop and therefore its only going to get more valuable in the future

Shame Boy posted:

except maybe mega man, but he is very clear that it is only the specific mega man that is in mega man battle network, because it is the best one that deserves a remake more than any other mega man

he apparently brings this up to customers all the time too. like every single customer that makes the mistake of talking to him gets a lecture about mega man battle network from battle network steve

Battle network is good. Gamestop is bad. :shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Axeses

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

fart simpson posted:

you might also like mahjong

Mahjong is good but no one around here plays.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I've never heard of somebody being successful with that gambit. not once.

The forcing them to number first thing. I'm sure lying can and does work.

Good news is in CO it's illegal now to post a job opening without giving a cash salary range as well as the potential opportunities for advancement, and its illegal for them to ask salary history at all.

I got something like 175% more total comp than my last job, probably partly because I didn't name a number. And partly that I was in a game dev company and lol those rates are so bad.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

fart simpson posted:

if there’s more to basecamp than what is in that screenshot, i don’t know where to find it. theyve only had two feature updates since 2015 (being able to paste links to google docs and have the preview show up in basecamp, and rate limiting the number of emails it spams you with)

i don’t know how many people could possibly be working at this company

I think it's in the 20s-30s?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mediaphage posted:

what is left for a workplace to be that isn't desks/offices, meeting rooms, and amenities???

They didn't say anything about an environment with offices.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Even in states where they aren't considered burglars' tools, they're pretty much a guarantee that you're gonna have a rough time if you get stopped by a cop and they find them on you/in your car. It's the dictionary definition of "probable cause", and you've just opened yourself to getting all your poo poo searched very throughly. (Which means there's gonna be a lot more questions asked when they run into your "hideaway knife".)

Knew a pastor once who lost the keys to his church so he just picked the lock every time.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I'm too lazy to read any of that. What stops someone from cashing out tokens then formatting their disks?

E: holy poo poo they recommend using a raspberry pi why would I ever trust a network of microsd cards? Especially one owned by random people?

leper khan fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 4, 2021

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I get my wings from a place that may just be a mob front but it's good as hell

Fronts are great, they sometimes have bigger portions than make sense because no one cares.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Physicians of all kinds are targets for scams because they’re generally convinced that they’re extremely intelligent and that this intelligence extends to things like running their practices.

So why don't more people try to scam computer touchers?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Oh no an editor made an editorial decision based on their understanding of the audience

The horror

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

several years ago, i posted in here that i work my 40 and that's it, and someone responded "have fun not having a career!" or some poo poo like that

In the pos? this place clearly changed

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Oneiros posted:

iirc the mandatory "ethics" course in the cs program i went thru (i only minored in cs, tho i don't think there was any other ethics requirement for the major track) was basically just a writing course in disguise. to be fair most of the people in there desperately needed it because they couldn't write worth a drat in any sense but the extent of the ethics content was that we went over a couple high profile data breaches and the professor basically went "that sucks, try not to do that"

Fortaleza posted:

It was drilled into our heads in several classes that ethics and safety are paramount because we’d be designing and making things for the public where if it goes wrong it could kill and/or maim folks or leave them without power or heat :byodood:

but it was clear as a non-engineer they weren’t talking to me and none of that’s been even close to true in my career

My ethics class was a bunch of case studies on horrific poo poo Like the therac 25 with a refrain of "you don't want to be remembered for something like this so loving don't". I thought it was effective.

mediaphage posted:

lol my fun degree is in french because it was so easy

one thing i’ve noticed is that a lot of canadian universities don’t seem to do the liberal arts education thing. like you go in to your track, you take those classes, and leave. a lot of people have gotten confused when i talk about the gen eds i had to take irrespective of major (race and gender studies, non-western perspectives, history of western political thought (i don’t remember which that satisfied), arts, history, etc) and i went to a state school in kentucky. i was super surprised at this

I really don't want to match this to our Canadian office being consistently wrong about things technical and not. But lol.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mediaphage posted:

i mean maybe your office just sucks but for the most part the universities here are great

That's been my running assumption, as well as a few colleagues. We just can't figure out why it is that way, because we all know a bunch of awesome people up north. I guess they just don't work for us. :shrug:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

they have compounding interest too

At least death discharges them for now.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I had a boss that used to take people to this really nice members only buffet at cal tech. It was really good.

That's my California university story. Thanks for posting.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Pulcinella posted:

Doesn’t Harvard have some satellite campus that lets in anyone who wants to pay just so they can put on their resume “went to Harvard”?

The extension school is one of the degree granting programs, yes. Some courses are taught by the same people as teach the children. For way less than the children pay per class, too lol.

It's not exactly a satellite, it's just the night school. Many courses are taught online, some aren't. There's a residency requirement on the degree where you have to take however many campus only courses.

I dropped it when I realized I wasn't really getting anything out of the program, and don't think a masters (in CS) will materially help me.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

refleks posted:

Like all crypto, coinbase is speedrunning financial history and have gotten to the point where they need to understand that debt is a security and you can't just go "nu huh" when the SEC asks you what the gently caress you are doing:

https://twitter.com/brian_armstrong/status/1435439543692365828?s=20

https://twitter.com/John_Hempton/status/1435462099887476737?s=20

https://blog.coinbase.com/the-sec-has-told-us-it-wants-to-sue-us-over-lend-we-have-no-idea-why-a3a1b6507009

Lmao how is this clown the chief legal officer?

quote:

Yet again, we asked if the SEC would share their reasoning with us, and yet again they refused. They have only told us that they are assessing our Lend product through the prism of decades-old Supreme Court cases called Howey and Reves.

They refused to share their reasoning with us, they just told us why and what they were using to evaluate.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

I wish it was me, but I'm not that confident and none of my poo poo posts are dope :smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, shingy + actually scientific field = elizabeth holmes

regulated field. you can't knowingly gently caress up people's medical tests/records.

if you gently caress up funny computer ads no one gives a poo poo. same way if you gently caress up pure math research no one gives a poo poo. except people can tell when you gently caress up funny computer ads.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hell, holmes's middle plan after the walgreens deal fell through was grifting on the military, one of the 20 other dealios its basically ok to grift. but you gotta grift the military by overpricing poo poo that actually works

You can also grift the military on researching things you know won't work. But only in specific research contracts for that purpose. :eng101:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

It's illegal to fly people for pay without a commercial pilot's license. Plenty of private pilots have tried to claim they are just "sharing" the plane with random strangers, and as a result the FAA has extensive and thorough rules describing exactly what counts as flying for pay. It is also illegal to operate a civil aircraft from random public areas like a parking lot or rooftop. All the flying uber loopholes you can think of are covered.

The only way a flying Uber will ever be allowed is if it's just a rebranded commercial helicopter service, with all the pilot and operation and certification requirements that entails.

If you ignore the regulations you'll find that there aren't any that affect you. Assuming that the government won't crack down on you or enforce their "rules". Works for Uber re medallions. Or airbnb re zoning restrictions. Easy to think the FAA won't give a poo poo or act (lol they'll get shot down by F18s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Midjack posted:

if they're smart enough to avoid inconveniencing rich white men the faa won't do poo poo about it. if they overfly the facebook man's house they'll be shut down within the hour.

My guess is their pilot requirements will drop, someone will buzz restricted airspace in a city, the military will threaten (and potentially use) force, followed by all sorts of regulators walking through.

This is going to be a fun one, assuming it starts up at all