Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

weíve given them generous exit packages, Iím not going to go into details, but then Iím going to share all the details starting with how we are paying for a few months of their therapy bills caused by me laying them off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

qirex posted:

relevant, for pretzel logic real estate brain poisoning reasoning here

"we're democratizing vacation homes and keeping them out of the hands of institutional investors" is a wild line

I wondered how this worked, you buy a 1/8 stake in an LLC that owns the house and the operating agreement stipulates you contract to Pacaso as the property manager

not sure if a tontine is also involved in there somewhere too

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wonder how many people are using their Peloton treadmill just to dry their laundry now and get a failed new year resolution refund out of the recall

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mediaphage posted:

we used to buy expired bakery items from hostess in boxes by the truckload for pennies on the dollar to supplement animal feed

reminds me of the Hostess outlet shops we used to have, where everything was priced at like 85% off but was also going to expire in the next three to five days

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

qirex posted:

the hostess plant was right on portrero hill, probably unused office space or under construction luxury condos rn

yeah Iím sure that was probably the first asset to be sold off when Hostess went into bankruptcy in 2012 or whenever that was that we had the 18 months where Twinkies were unbuyable

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

haveblue posted:

yeah this is just facebook squeezing the life out of whatsapp like everyone predicted when it was bought

was so bummed to read from the epic v apple docs that eddie cue wanted to add imessage to android only to have federighi shoot him down saying it'd help people migrate away

maybe we wouldn't be in our current state where maybe you're lucky and you can blue bubble someone in privacy, otherwise you've got to give your poo poo over to facebook

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

Businesses like Google have a very strong motivation to make sure their services are as optimal as possible in the DC area. You don't want a bunch of congressional office staffers, national press reporters, and other people with a lot of influence over how you may be regulated to have their commute ruined because you hosed up.

I have always assumed this is also why the best experience I've had with the TSA in the US was at Reagan, by a mile

Don't want to mess around and learn the hard way that the person they pissed off was a staffer for a powerful congressman, or the kid of some ambassador

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have mine subsidence insurance because the south end of Pittsburgh is riddled with old mine shafts.

my wife is an attorney and used to work in a firm that represented whatever husks remained of old coal mining companies in cases like mine subsidence claims

one night in the wee hours we had like a 4.5 magnitude earthquake, we both wake up from the house shaking and creaking

my first thought is itís going to be the big one and itís just starting to warm up

hers was that the old coal mines under our house were caving in

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

infernal machines posted:

here the pinned tweet of the guy she mentioned

no doubt a true visionary urban planner

Balaji Srinivasan, the guy who suggested rallying the army of Curtis Yarvin followers to harass and dox a reporter

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that person thinks the only thing holding us back from perfect urban design is simply planning out every single structure and transportation mode before we begin building anything in this new proposed city on an unoccupied featureless plain

also the cloud will assist this endeavor. accreting things over time where people already live and iterating upon this? that is why you fail

introducing AWS SimCity

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Apple released the Apple Watch not fully knowing what the actual market was which is insane when you look back on it. They thought maybe it could be an expensive fashion accessory, maybe a simple notification tool or maybe a fitness tracker. once it became clear that it was the fitbit everyone actually wanted they leaned hard into it and itís been selling like crazy ever since.

They also launched the watch a few months after Fitbit had to recall their high end flagship model at the time because the charging port was poorly designed and gave people chemical burns. They couldíve walked in and steamrolled Fitbit right then if they knew that was the hitch to selling the watch.

The Fitbit charger plugged in perpendicular to the back of the watch, and sweat would get stuck in that socket. Applying current to charge the watch catalyzed turning your sweat into sodium hydroxide and literally gave your wrist a lye burn

I got a charging port shaped burn on my wrist that took three months to go away and the last month of it was where it was an itching peeling mess, gently caress Fitbit after that

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

Well all psych undergrads are required to volunteer for a certain number of experiments as part of their class grade.

oh man i pushed this memory out of my brain from when i took a psych class or two in undergrad

our requirement was you had to participate in three studies during the semester. some studies were in and out, quick survey style, or youíd do a preliminary screening and five minutes in they said you werenít a match.

others were like two or three sessions long but still counted as ďone studyĒ for the requirement.

so there was always a mad rush for the ďgoodĒ studies the instant they got approved by IRB and were posted on the website, and if you snoozed on it you got to spend 3x the time on the requirement

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hey what is norton antivirus up to thes-

oh

oh.

https://twitter.com/NortonLifelock/status/1400082772518178817

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

Some article I remember was about chuck e cheese doing it because otherwise no one would order their pizza

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2020/05/19/i-ordered-pizza-from-pasquallys-which-is-chuck-e-cheese-in-disguise/

to be fair they started this right into pandemic as a last ditch effort to keep the lights on

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

infernal machines posted:

an elevator infortainment screen

file this under ďthings i absolutely forgot existed thanks to pandemicĒ

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

i love dentacoin because the people behind it are 100% serious and are still trying to build it out as "The Blockchain Solution for the Global Dental Industry"

are dentists just more gullible than the general population, between this and the big crossover between dentistry and scientology

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah he doesn't have the cro-mag head goin on

real Marshall Applewhite energy in this picture

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

for some reason jaws was the one that bothered me enough to have nightmares about sharks coming out of puddles lol

when I was about 9 years old I had a sleepover party with two other friends. we went to the video rental store to pick out movies and one of my friends really wanted to rent Jaws

he said his parents totally let him watch it before, it's cool

few days later my mother gets a call from that kid's mother, to say he's been having wicked nightmares and inquire why my mother was so negligent as to allow that kid to watch jaws

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quit my job last week at a big name website backed by fastly and donít start new job yet so I was pleasantly asleep this morning and not in any sev zero meetings :toot:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

please, this is new york, so xiían famous foods

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fritz posted:

what's wrong with xi'an famous foods? (asked by someone who hasn't been to nyc in years)

absolutely nothing itís amazing and the first place I go when I land in NYC

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they should trademark some more gods imho

scientology was ahead of the curve on this

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently AWS itself does those same scans now, and if anything pops up they will send angry emails to the account owners and/or restrict access for those credentials.

GitHub does it too, based on some heuristic to identify stuff that looks like secrets for a bunch of different services

they also have an API service vendors can use where GitHub will automatically rat you out to the vendor the key is for and they can revoke it automatically

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wonder if it's got a failure mode like garage doors do

friend, this entire product is a failure mode

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihEEjwRlghQ#t=89s

the worst is if you listen to it, 1:29 in the video, it's not at all even a convincing fake

"you are successful, and I am successful" spoken in the exact same intonation

it doesn't sound like Anthony Bourdain, it sounds like the CVS "your prescription is ready" robocall if it were reading an Anthony Bourdain quote

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/gerritd/status/1417606494472835078?s=21

thereís a lot to unpack here

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1418317613843763208?s=21

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fisting by many posted:

https://twitter.com/netspooky/status/1417721950881959938

i guess paper test strips don't get you a nine figgie contract, but if you enclose them in a small computer they do. plus you get to harvest user data that way. also you have to throw away the computer after you use it.

also their website currently seems to be pwned by a wordpress plugin.

itís stupid but they claim to require the app so the positive test result could be reported to a local health authority for regulatory compliance

https://www.fda.gov/media/144457/download

still wasteful as hell and the covid version of the digital pregnancy tests that just wrap a plain old 35 cent pink line pee strip

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/dave_universetf/status/1419128535134793734?s=20

one weird trick to juice your youtube view counts, high school english teachers hate it

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

A lot of millennial culture comes into focus when you realize that we're the generation that spent over a decade coming up with moral justifications for the immense amounts of piracy we were doing, instead of just admitting that we wanted stuff and didn't want to pay for it.

checks out when you realize the Uber founderís first gig was a music piracy startup

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

rotor posted:

yeah. I'm old enough to remember when you had to pay huge sums of money for a decent compiler. I also remember that you also either wrote your own hashtable implementation or bought one mail order for $250 from the back of dr. dobbs journal.

whats startling isn't how cheap things have gotten, it's how free everything is. There are people tripping all over themselves to GIVE YOU free poo poo - along with support and documentation! - that would have cost more than a new car thirty years ago.

throwback to sun only letting people with paid-up service contracts have solaris security patches, what a different world we live in now

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

My last apartment (which I moved into about a year into COVID) had a strict "do not install a bidet in your unit" policy, which I imagine came about due to very similar circumstances as the waterbed ban.

I bought two of those $40 bidet attachments headed into pandemic and they both failed after about 3-5 months, leaking everywhere.

And my water pressure is so weak that Iím looking at getting a booster pump installed, so itís not as if Iíve got 100 PSI water thatís obliterating it

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mystes posted:

Maybe you need to spring for a toto washlet.

this is absolutely the plan once my kids can get vaccinated and I can feel ok bringing an electrician into the house to put an outlet by the crapper

Iíve pooped in enough google offices to know that the washlet is the way

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/evan_just_evan/status/1448401748046106627?s=20

they took the site down after getting dragged on the internet for it, so maybe props for their reading the room instead of just trying to post through it

e: lol no they deserve it

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 14, 2021

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

i'm the engineer trying to answer in a memo for why a video of "dismemberment and visible innards" did not get classified as against the rules when the model was trained on "gory contents" and should have caught it

also imagine being the poor individual tasked with having to look at "gory contents" like car crashes and ISIS videos, labeling things to feed into the model

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

i still remember that time circa 2003 or so that i bought something at comp USA and the checkout clerk told me i'd get $50 off my purchase if i accepted a 90 day free trial of AOL. if i failed to cancel they'd just start charging the card i used to pay at the register.

i thought easy $50, all I have to do is call and cancel.

how young and innocent i was to think that

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ultravoices posted:

something like?

retransmission of united states government weather reports is specifically permitted, if only incidentally.
regular communications that are best provided by other radio services are specifically prohibited.

you can read or transmit the weather report if it's necessary. you can't have your weather report show at 7pm weekdays.

is there a carveout for retransmission of major league baseball

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think so either although to be honest this is something I really have not been paying attention to. All I can remember is that she took the idea to the military and they laughed her out of the room, so she went to walgreens and they gave her a contract. I don't actually know if the machines were ever deployed to any walgreens though.

Walgreens rolled it out to 40 stores in Phoenix plus one in Palo Alto, and then shut it all down in 2016 when they had to void out so many results

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/Square/status/1466158922016952323?s=20

quote:

Oh! Obviously Square Crypto no longer makes sense

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

best browser for online shopping because it offers to autofill credit card fields with one of those shady bill me later services