Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Please read my bot-generated posts or I might try to fuck your wife

ewiley posted:

I mean, Andrew Carnegie was not a great person but Carnegie Mellon, the Carnegie libraries, and endowment for international peace are still around and he's remembered mostly for that. If he'd hoarded his money he would have been richer than Bezos in inflation adjusted terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gospel_of_Wealth

Andrew Carnegie was from Pittsburgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

hifi posted:

phoenix would be great if we didn't have global warming and everybodys drat parents didn't move here.

Phoenix actually has always sucked poo poo and their original advertising in the 1920s was "come to phoenix, there are no blacks here"

Apr 7, 2003

ewiley posted:

Vegas also has the distinct advantage of being close to the Hoover dam which supplies it with huge amounts of power and drinking water at the expense of most of the rest of the southwest.

Thanks Caesar

Apr 7, 2003

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

anither fun dam fact the hoover dam wasnt controlled by people from pittsburgh who maintained the dam above johnstown and critically compromised its integrity leading to it failing and killing thousands

Sad!

Apr 7, 2003

EVGA Longoria posted:

self reporting isn't going to solve any of the issues with their kids product, so they need to be actively moderating it

but that would gently caress them over in other ways so they refuse

this isn't a solution to anything

at this point youtube kids should just call child protective services on you if you give a tablet to your kid and open youtube

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDDmBN2qD7o

Apr 7, 2003

Masturbatia

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

I think the problem with stadia specifically is just that game streaming isn't all that interesting. if you already have a game library and hardware, you're looking at stadia, xbox streaming, et.al. and you see the same thing you have now but more expensive and with lag.

Microsoft and sorny are taking the long term bet of replacing their systems with streaming which makes way more sense. as in home hardware ages out streaming starts to look like a better value to those looking to upgrade. they can also offer better library deals than goog to convince you to move sooner.

idk who stadia is for. maybe some android fans? are there enough of those to sustain a product? probably not.

Stadia is for turning gaming into a subscription service from top to bottom.

Wanna pop in an older game you enjoy and play it through again? Too bad, pay up

Apr 7, 2003

iospace posted:

So Google has been asking health care companies for data... and trying to get it without the consent of the patients.

Lovely.

This is flat out illegal so I have no idea how they’re doing it.

Like, in my role at a health plan I can conceivably look at any PHI necessary to “perform necessary business tasks,” but I’ve got no idea how that could let me sell the data to google and give them a right to look at it.

Maybe they could buy deidentified aggregate data but I think even that’s iffy, and wouldn’t be worth anything to them anyway.

Apr 7, 2003

Ah, so it's "we have a business need for the data as a contractor doing magical optimization poo poo" (except we don't)

very cool

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the clickbait title is largely wrong and Ascension is just using goog for hosting and analytics. its a stupid idea for sure as goog's cloud is the worst, but its not any different from litterrally what you do for a living.

Doesn't specify if Google themselves are actually doing something with the data ala Cotiviti's different services, or if they're just hosting it.

(I'm a direct health plan employee, which is different than sending it to a contractor.)

Apr 7, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its still not illegal to send it to a contractor. its litterrally why BAAs exist.

This has more details: https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/11/20959771/google-health-records-project-nightingale-privacy-ascension

but basically goog is writing the analytics software, not just hosting.

They really don't need PII for that

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

They need the PII because they're hosting the PII.

Dumb

Even if they're hosting the PII, it doesn't mean that the group writing the analytics needs access to it.

Apr 7, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

in a lot of states, it's legal to buy, or sometimes receive for free, health data directly from the state health department or similar. it's often anonymized to an extent, but it's still often enough to identify specific individuals and groups

Anything personally identifiable has to be stripped, though, including poo poo like claim numbers.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

How is it dumb? If what they're saying is true, they're basically providing cloud EMR software. They might be lying or downplaying other parts, but it does seem pretty hard to argue with them needing PII if hosting the data is something they've been contracted to do.

The group writing the analytics software shouldn't have access to PII regardless of whether Google is hosting the data or not. Even internally PII should always be on a 'least data needed' basis.

I do healthcare analytics and I have absolutely no access to anything financial. At my previous job I did financial stuff and had no access to anything personally identifiable and no diagnostic or procedural data.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

OK, they should do this and it's dumb that they don't, but Google as a company clearly has a reason to have access to the data and given that they say they are restricting and logging access are they violating HIPAA just by failing to completely isolate the development from the actual PII?

I'm sure they should be using test data instead but considering that they're a new entrant to this field they probably have absolutely no clue what they're doing and can't even create test data without looking at the real data that contains PII first.

The group actually warehousing the data for Ascension and the group writing the analytics process should be treated as completely separate entities is what I'm saying, there just shouldn't be a giant hog slop bucket of claims data that everyone in the company gets to dive into without any governance.

Apr 7, 2003

haveblue posted:

yeah there are two* separate costs

you have to buy games individually except the ones that are explicitly free

you can optionally pay a subscription for higher stream quality and google-selected free games. this will not make any paid game free, you still have to buy it

*three as of launch, you also have to buy the hardware as it's not compatible with anything else yet

hell yeah, we're back to the GEnie model

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Maybe I should have phrased that differently. What I'm saying is that (naturally since you work in this field) you're totally right but unfortunately it seems like they're doing it wrong in a way that probably doesn't quite rise to the level of illegality?

Oh, no, it's a clear violation of HIPAA but no one's going to do anything about it

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

One of my coworkers told me that he actually likes advertising on Facebook because it's so targeted towards his interests, so maybe Google is just doing a really bad job of it. :shrug:

lol your coworker thinks hilary clinton invented aids

Apr 7, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

alternately, those targeted Facebook ads that he likes so much are a waste of money because they're telling him to do things he was going to do anyway

back when I was on a car search, I started getting ads for the car I bought for eight months after I already bought the loving thing

very effective

Apr 7, 2003

There's a central PA chud paper site I keep an eye on to see what the chudosphere is discussing and their hamburger menu is incredible.

Apr 7, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

It's for justifying the purchase. Some schools of advertising say it shouldn't end at the purchase

hosed up

Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

isn't one of the little secrets of HIPAA that despite having the ability to fine someone into the next planetary system they've never actually done it and instead would much rather issue a small fine with an improvement plan?

HIPAA fines max out at $1.5m per class of violation per year.

That's, uh, not a lot of money

Apr 7, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

lol wow was I misinformed as gently caress.

Once you meet your out of pocket crime deductible, you can go hog wild!

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

lol 1.5m is just a rounding error

ASO billing system I worked on at a previous employer billed in excess of $20b every year

Most of that was passthrough, but you can figure you're keeping 3.5% of that.

Apr 7, 2003

Googled again!

Apr 7, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

if you go to the cap quote this post is above it

i’m not wading into cspam to see how this came up but it wasn’t completely out of nowhere, presumably

my prediction is fishmech will not escape out the cspam rear end tori-like

Fishmech doubtless has multiple parachute accounts

Apr 7, 2003

fishmech will be back.

Apr 7, 2003

I’ll never forget the time Fishmech spent two pages arguing with me about what constitutes a strip mall.

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

It also seems like so much stuff from amazon is just the same rebadged Chinese stuff now that you might as well just buy it from aliexpress

yepppppp

it makes amazon a real pain in the rear end to use anymore if you're the sort of person who's used to searching, taking the top option, and buying that (normal people).

Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

retail is dying cloud

Last I checked online retail was only ~20% of all retail.

Turns out that most people are too poor to buy electronics at anything but a commodity margin*

(* Apple stores are looking great.)

Apr 7, 2003

and yeah, Apple Stores are the brick and mortar electronics leader.

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

well for a narrow subset of products.

you can't buy a tv or a soundbar or a camera or an xbox or a drone or a video game or whatever other poo poo from apple. plenty of people still buy that stuff

This is precisely why apple is so successful, they focus on a very lucrative subset of electronics

Apr 7, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

best buy has also done well with major appliances since sears has fallen on their face

I actually bought a new fridge from Sears in 2017 because they were the only major retailer who offered to haul my old lovely one away for free.

Apr 7, 2003

what the gently caress did wework employ 4-6K people to begin with for

Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

if they've got 5000 engineers on staff, then they must be working on some amazing next generation technology, and they should be valued as a high-flying technology company and not a boring staid real estate holding firm

Computer programmers are not engineers.

Apr 7, 2003

Lol this is flat out evil

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/1196830425324408832?s=20

Apr 7, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

really interested in those editors' picks anti-semitism :thunk:

A couple years back an Adsense ad told me I could click to find the best brain damage in Pittsburgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Wow