Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

i am 5'9" tall, the Correct Height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

airbnb delenda est

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Don't forget that time trump nearly started ww3 in Iran a couple months ago that was pretty wild

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

dr robotnik started netscape though, he did at least accomplish something initially other than register a domain name and then sell it for a billion $

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

somebody once posted "Two libertarians walk into a bar, they get blinded and die from the unregulated liquor" and egg man responded with "Two statists attempt to walk into a bar, except it is closed for the day due to alcohol licensing laws" and genuinely thought that was a sick burn

being called a statist by a libertarian is like being called an adultfucker by a pedophile

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

As it is the chief impediment to our continuous efforts to maximize our profit Google cares very deeply about your privacy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

fivehead posted:

has anyone purchased a new chair for the end times? I have been eyeing the Titan XL from secret labs because itís still a gamur chair but wonít make my SO gag.

I assume all the durability stats on the website are bullshit (rated for 2 million sits!:grin:)

get one of the chairs that blasts out a display-disrupting EMP a few seconds after you get up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

It's actually kind of encouraging that management's transparent reactionary provocation was immediately and directly called out by the workforce.

Couldn't have imagined that happening ten years ago.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

car ownership is counter-revolutionary

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

anybody under 35, hear me. the establishment thinks you are a gay idiot. the gay part ties in because they want to sell you Shell oil in June. the idiot part ties in the other 11 months out of the year. Please loving burn all of this to the ground.

Meanwhile GenZ are all "Everybody who was born in the 20th century is a Boomer"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

one weird trick to commit 2% of GDP to ICBM research and have the electorate eat that poo poo up and ask for seconds

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

raising cane's is great but the big problem is you burn out on it super quickly.

there's a fried chicken joint near my current place that does pretty good fingers, no toast with them though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

piada is also really great if you have one nearby but it suffers the same problem of immediate burnout. i guess neither chain is rich and influential enough to be able to add a bunch of not-techically-illegal drugs to their sauces or something. the thing to do at piada is to, i poo poo you not, get their equivalent of a burrito, and get spaghetti in it. it's delicious. the ceo found out people were ordering that and basically went "you people are diseased, what the gently caress are you doing to my restaurant" but obviously it's not banned or anything.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Does "Free Range" actually mean anything other than "You apparently seem happy to pay an extra $2 for these ordinary battery-farmed eggs so ok if you insist"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

If your organization has unaccountable leadership that bulldozes through critical business processes heedless of their own lack of knowledge about said business processes leaving everybody else scrambling madly to try and fix the resulting chaos then the problem isn't with your tools, the problem is with your organization's politics.

Programming as a discipline has its fair share of issues and teething problems, but it also gets blamed for a whole lot of organizational pathologies that aren't really specific to programming per se. also the root cause is usually capitalism

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

president spongebrain would like to make a statement about tech infrastructure policy:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1283497861959884800

its me, im the blazing fast broadwalk

hell yeah biden tgrump dementia-off 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

does anyone figure that twitter ever reflects on having already bought and ruined what amounted to tiktok in 2012?

Vine had (a) black people and (b) unionized content producers

Something like a week after said union was formed Twitter announced that they were going to burn Vine to the ground.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

They have to upgrade the NSA taps on their wallet inspector totally free of charge SSL termination service from time to time, you know.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

sounds like what harvard does to its asian applicants, imo

What's that supposed to mean exactly?

(not trying to start a dogpile, Harvard having some sort of weird quirks in their admissions racism sounds pretty on-brand and I'm curious about it)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Satire requires the existence of an absurd-on-its-face extreme consequence of the ideas being parodied that its proponents have not wholeheartedly endorsed already.

Parodist: "Burr durr I;m the Republican party I think we should make special concentration camps for little kids hmbol"
Republicans: "Actually that slaps and will get us lots of votes from racists"
Democrats: "Actually that also slaps when we're the ones doing it and we think it will also get us lots of votes from racists"
Parodist: "OK gently caress this poo poo I'm out"

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 29, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

what if, instead of a spiteful and cruel society, we built a kind and compassionate one

as a joke

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

squirt me a linktok on the kinzune

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Ah!

Well, nevertheless

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

at least it doesn't use :razz: Electron :razz: for the glass cockpit like Ol' Musky's rockets

(I still can't believe that's real. Surely somebody is exaggerating something they heard once)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I tend to move apartments a lot so every time I want to buy a tangible non-consumable thing I always think "Do I really want to have this thing taking up valuable space in my apartment and then deal with it next time I have to move?" and the answer is usually no.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

hs friend of mine needed to get married to get over his spending aversion. but his was at actual mental illness levels. 50lb bag of rice, 1 gallon of the cheapest vegetable oil, freezer entirely full of frozen mixed vegetables, fried rice for dinner every day for $.38. $20 futon on floor next to television and cable modem is your entire furniture type poo poo. And he was making amazon computer toucher money. he's much happier now.

there are times when i want to get rid of half my crap and basically live like this ngl

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mbs been busy lately

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I also like to make charitable donations to banks

They're really struggling in these tough times, you know

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Whose commercial interests are served by the continued development of Firefox?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

yeah "Serverless" is just

*activates high-pass filter*
TWENNY FIRST CENT'RY
C
G
I
*sick guitar riff*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

It's lovely pointlessly-limited high-margin proprietary Docker. Also every major cloud provider offers something of the sort, be it AWS, Azure, or GCP.

I really don't understand the appeal. I guess if you're a dumbass who is bad at deploying premade VM images then AWS will happily relieve you of that burden and also your money

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

imagine being able to click a button and within five seconds, your rust code is running on a few thousand very fast servers in 70 datacenters worldwide, with full code versioning and integration into your current CDN

and you dont have to set up 37 different aws products to get deployment working properly. one click and you are done.

thats how we're selling it

I do have to wonder. The most popular cloud services products are basically commodities at this point: x86-64 VMs, block storage, L4 networking, and S3-oid file storage APIs to some extent. The cloud providers don't like that situation one bit because most ventures are not terribly interested in becoming a commodity business. There's still some networking special sauce involved and a general lack of a standard solution for deploying and managing all of this infrastructure at scale (lol forever at OpenStack), but something might well happen one day to precipitously lower the barrier to entry and then there's no more moat around their business. AWS margins are practically Apple-like and you just know a whole bunch of people want a piece of that action.

Maybe that's why they're pushing all this high-level high-margin crap like Lambda and DynamoDB so aggressively.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I keep being reminded of the fact that StackOverflow runs on something like 20 physical servers across two or three data centers and it's one of the top 50 most heavily accessed sites on the internet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

they run their own analytics iirc.

idk I'm just kind of amazed at how bad people can be at making yet another lovely unoriginal CRUD database application these days.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

how are there no better rad tools for webby crud apps in 2020 though? been 10+ years since last i had to write one, but just these last few weeks i've had that task lined up, and if anything every solution i've found seems to have degenerated over time (at least for the case of quickly wrapping a few sql queries in a more friendly form).

I guess you could do worse than Flask and SQLAlchemy but then you have to deal with Python.

I can see why people think they need 1000 servers if they write their poo poo in Python.

"At least we're not as atrociously slow as Ruby!"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I like how Twitter and the Guardian and other suck places are increasingly openly saying "you will be tracked and access to your personal details will be sold and you will loving like it or gently caress off"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Google Maps exists as a jobs and career program for Googleoids. I've yet to hear a convincing explanation for why it needs to have such a frenzied pace of development for the frontend application, forever. It mostly just makes the poo poo run slower and slower because Googleoids want to play with shiny new software toys.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

she also bought a company for eleven billion dollars then wrote almost the whole thing off like a year later when it was revealed they were cooking their books and hp didn't do like basic due diligence when they bought them

post the failing upwards quote

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

taqueso posted:

> pointed out that the local work force is peaceful and English-speaking

"why would i want to talk to the workers?" -- lithium magnate

OK yes yes that's great and all but can I cut their hands off if their output is not satisfactory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

What sort of hazards do they have? Would a battery storage facility fire be particularly catastrophic compared to a fire in a regular warehouse?