Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boeing is apparently completely redesigning the computer system for the 737 max because it has no redundancy and nearly crashed in a flight simulator when they simulated the effects of cosmic rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

why does stack overflow have a religion forum?
So you can copy and paste your sermon, obviously.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I love how Bill Gates, who clearly thinks he is an awesome person because he has voluntary chosen to eventually give away a lot of his ridiculous wealth on his own terms, completely freaks out at the idea that he should actually be taxed so that the common people get to decide what to do with the money instead of him.

mystes
May 31, 2006

prisoner of waffles posted:

good demands itt

https://twitter.com/weworkersco/status/1192784795060899840

good luck to the we workers coalition
WeWorkers of the world, unite!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe if you launch a startup for "artificial ____ technology" investors will immediately hand you a bundle of money before they actually look closely at the word in the middle?

mystes
May 31, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

calling it now they’re gonna start blocking anyone they detect using an ad-blocker and then not understand when the site collapses
Someone recently claimed that their google account (including email) got suspended because they were using Newpipe, but there was no real evidence that it actually happened.

I imagine that someday Google is going to start deleting all the videos from youtube that aren't making any money, which will probably be the worst thing ever to happen to the internet, but I doubt that' that's what they mean by the change to their ToS here or that it is going to happen anytime soon

mystes
May 31, 2006

Translation: "Dear Saudi Arabia, please send us several more dumptrucks of cash. Love, Uber."

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Notch only has 1.5 billion and he already has more candy rooms than friends so maybe tax the billionaires more
Have a hard cap on wealth at 500 million but allow an exemption for money used to hire homeless people as "friends" who will be barred from performing any work other than nodding comfortingly and pretending to listen to what the rich people think and whose hiring/firing won't be directly under their control.

mystes
May 31, 2006

syntaxrigger posted:

I would really love to know what a multi-billionaire feels like they need billions of dollars for. I know he doesn't have a billion dollars in his pocket but still, I can't see a person who has 500 million dollars wanting for anything.

Is it just wanting to be able to buy a small country on a whim? Or maybe hiring a private army to do some light invasion on your holiday?
It's very simple: even though he's using a lot of his wealth for philanthropy (eventually) he still feels that being rich entitles him to tell other people what to do so he doesn't want other people to take his money and use it for good causes without him getting to be in control and take credit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's irrelevant whether he'll actually vote for Trump because the voting booth is the one place where rich people don't get to have more say than other people. Instead, he's using his rich person power to try to attack progressive policies by threatening to vote for Trump, which is much more significant than the way he actually votes.

If he didn't announce that he might vote for Trump and just pulled the lever for Trump on election day he would do much less damage.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm actually glad that he said this, though, because I'm hoping it will actually lead to some discussion about whether billionaires really deserve not be taxed into oblivion as long as they occasionally donate some money to their personal charities for their pet projects.

mystes
May 31, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

people like anand giridharadas were certainly surprised about it which is p funny
Didn't he literally write a loving book about this?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

the idea that the government is going to be the entity to take it and do something better with it is a joke
His foundation is managed by someone whose other notable management experience was Microsoft Bob

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's ok, because by the time his term is up in 2024 he really will have somehow made himself a billionaire at the taxpayers' expense.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Andrew Carnegie was from Pittsburgh.
Thanks, Pittsburgh Facts Bot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

graph posted:

same, i fart like crazy on flights
Farts really excel everywhere. Show them your might in Economy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I sure hope it doesn't get cancelled before the people who preordered actually receive their devices.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Apple Card is already a hard nope for me, so once you add Google's customer service and concern for privacy it's like a nope priapism.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zlodo posted:

if google gives up on stadia they'll basically burn all bridges both with the gamers community and the gaming industry and would pretty much never be able to get into the gaming market again
It doesn't seem like Google has realized that this kind of thing is a problem, yet, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

goog doesn't have any weight in the gaming industry and when stadia is cancelled nobody will notice or care.
It's true that google doesn't really have anything to lose in terms of gaming so it doesn't matter, but you would think there would be a point where google starts having problems with being completely unable to get anybody to trust anything new they announce.

On other hand that somehow still hasn't happened yet, apparently.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stadia is for turning gaming into a subscription service from top to bottom.

Wanna pop in an older game you enjoy and play it through again? Too bad, pay up
The biggest problem with it is that it isn't a flat rate subscription, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

the clickbait title is largely wrong and Ascension is just using goog for hosting and analytics. its a stupid idea for sure as goog's cloud is the worst, but its not any different from litterrally what you do for a living.
Has Google or Ascension explained this? I can't find any information other than newspaper articles like this from the last few days.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They really don't need PII for that
They need the PII because they're hosting the PII.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

and that analytics software, with PHI-trained machine learning systems, is then going to be sold as a product (assuming google doesn't get bored).

that's what I'm unclear about being allowed. can a company covered by a BAA use non-anonymized PHI data for product development?
Yeah this is the real question. The press release linked from the article Shaggar linked makes it sound pretty innocuous: https://cloud.google.com/blog/topics/inside-google-cloud/our-partnership-with-ascension

The data is all siloed and they say they can't use it except for the work for Ascension, but it seems pretty unclear whether there's any machine learning stuff involved and if so, whether they're using the patient data to train it and will be able to use that elsewhere.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How is it dumb? If what they're saying is true, they're basically providing cloud EMR software. They might be lying or downplaying other parts, but it does seem pretty hard to argue with them needing PII if hosting the data is something they've been contracted to do.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The group writing the analytics software shouldn't have access to PII regardless of whether Google is hosting the data or not. Even internally PII should always be on a 'least data needed' basis.

I do healthcare analytics and I have absolutely no access to anything financial. At my previous job I did financial stuff and had no access to anything personally identifiable and no diagnostic or procedural data.
OK, they should do this and it's dumb that they don't, but Google as a company clearly has a reason to have access to the data and given that they say they are restricting and logging access are they violating HIPAA just by failing to completely isolate the development from the actual PII?

I'm sure they should be using test data instead but considering that they're a new entrant to this field they probably have absolutely no clue what they're doing and can't even create test data without looking at the real data that contains PII first, so unless they gently caress up and the data gets stolen this seems more like garden variety incompetence rather than some sort of massive conspiracy to evade HIPAA like some of the news articles are making it seem.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The group actually warehousing the data for Ascension and the group writing the analytics process should be treated as completely separate entities is what I'm saying, there just shouldn't be a giant hog slop bucket of claims data that everyone in the company gets to dive into without any governance.
Maybe I should have phrased that differently. What I'm saying is that (naturally since you work in this field) you're totally right but unfortunately it seems like they're doing it wrong in a way that probably doesn't quite rise to the level of illegality?

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

how is goog supposed to train their healthcare data deanonymizer if they don’t have access to both anonymized healthcare data and the specific patient data it was derived from

you’d think people didn’t want to see more personally targeted advertising
One of my coworkers told me that he actually likes advertising on Facebook because it's so targeted towards his interests, so maybe Google is just doing a really bad job of it. :shrug:

qirex posted:

it really seems like they should delay this at least a year but somebody has launching it on their 2019 mbos so it's gonna get launched
Google has always loved to do soft launches of half-baked beta products.

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

this is because launching a new product is the best way to get promoted, regardless of the product's viability or if google itself already has a similar product already
Supposedly they somehow made changes to try to fix this after it became common knowledge a year or two ago.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I was wondering if they were going to get sued by Popular Photography but apparently it went under recently.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah it's probably demographically segment to the point where it's not really possible for facebook and instagram to cannibalize their own market by adding each other's features.

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

Today, we’re excited to introduce Anthos, Google Cloud’s new open platform that lets you run an app anywhere—simply, flexibly and securely. Embracing open standards, Anthos lets you run your applications, unmodified, on existing on-prem hardware investments or in the public cloud, and is based on the Cloud Services Platform that we announced last year.

quote:

Anthos pricing
For pricing please contact sales.
Very open

mystes
May 31, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

didn't Fuji buy xerox recently, so really Fuji wants to buy hp? :pwn:

idkwtf anymore
No, Fuji never actually bought Xerox, because Xerox was sued by its investors and the buyout was eventually called off.

Instead, Xerox just sold their stake of a joint venture to Fuji for $2 billion and they're using the money for the HP offer.

So it's definitely Xerox and not Fuji that wants to buy HP.

mystes fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 15, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i mean i believe the screencap hasn't been edited or something, but i did check to see if the post linked from the leper colony had anything to do with it and it didn't so idk just gotta take the mods words for it :shrug:
It's archive.org. You can check for yourself.

Although, to be fair, it looks like this is a mirror of a mirror of a site which, based on this readme.txt file, wasn't even originally responsible for this content. It appears that all fischmech did was copy this content onto her server for a few months in 2008, which is still bad, but not as bad as her having created this herself.

This doesn't indicate that she ever operated girlsofsa.com (unless there's other evidence of that?).

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 15, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

It kind of seems like they have have misunderstood and thought she operated the original site, but on the other hand, there's not really any reason to mirror it unless you think "Yes, this is probably going to get taken down but I still want it to be available on the internet," plus I certainly loving don't like fishmech enough to go into other threads to argue against mods on her behalf.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 15, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

her/they, don't gotta misgender people just cuz you don't like em' or they did gross stuff
Sorry, edited.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Penisface posted:

whoever said there's no way to access the image directly in google results - try right-clicking and copying the url (opening in new tab) on the image when you click on it in the results page

worksforme in firefox
Are you sure they weren't talking about Google removing direct links to full quality images which happened a few years ago?

mystes
May 31, 2006

No you see arbitrage just shows that the market is efficient :smug:

But seriously that story is amazing. I knew there were people reselling wholesale stuff from Alibaba, but the idea of a cottage industry of people just receiving, repacking, and shipping single items is another level of crazy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

51% or more of the population agreeing that it should be illegal to engage in certain types of speech is actually very democratic, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm sure go was very needs suiting for google so in that sense I don't feel like it's a "bad" language, I just wish everyone hadn't acted like it was this amazing language that advanced the state of the art just because it came from google.