Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

The best way to describe Jim Cornette's particular brain worms is that he is literally the only person on the planet that I have ever heard say that they admire and idolize Bill Maher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

logging on. welcome to the jimcor net

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
jim's repetition of "the fans are smart now" just baffles me

does he sincerely think that people in the 80's and early 90's didn't know it was a work? does he really think that memphis audiences thought Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano was a real guy, or that jcp fans thought teijo khan was a savage from mongolia and not a white guy with clear wrestling experience?

the idea that a functioning, mentally competent person could believe wrestling was real after like 1950 is insulting to human intelligence. for all the poo poo Cornette gives people about calling Southerners dumb, he does it worse than any of them

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He absolutely does. Old school southern guys are all absolutely convinced they were working the crowds and that everyone believed it was 100% real.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

https://streamable.com/nxqmz

Has anyone posted this video of Jim Cornette asking the US military to slaughter civilian targets after 9/11

never seen this but holy poo poo

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

He absolutely does. Old school southern guys are all absolutely convinced they were working the crowds and that everyone believed it was 100% real.

Meltzer's told the story that back in the 80s the Charlotte Observer did a poll on whether the readers thought wrestling was real or fake. Ole Anderson insisted to Dave that the results would show most people actually believed in it but when the results came back it was like 95% of people thought it was fake.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

:mrgw:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i believed it mostly because my only exposure was by hulkamania cultural osmosis and hulk hogan HAD to be a legitimate athlete because why else would people love a guy that looks that fuckin weird

4 year old me was simultaneously too smart and dumb as hell

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gotta wonder how Jim's reacting to the Rock-n-Roll Express appearing on AEW tonight

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

thank you for mentioning the poll back when I casually referred to it (having not remembered the specifics nor really cared) when I said that wrestling fans didn't believe it was real.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It took young Chris a very long time to accept the realities of wrestling.
Anything that obviously spit in the face of what I wanted to believe was partitioned off and not dealt with.
It didn't help that I kept getting told 'it's fake' when people were clearly getting hurt for real.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

one thing about Jim Cornette that baffles me how very few people have thrown hands on him. Threatening a person’s life, those are fighting words. And he’s done that repeatedly.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

karmicknight posted:

thank you for mentioning the poll back when I casually referred to it (having not remembered the specifics nor really cared) when I said that wrestling fans didn't believe it was real.

well I care a great deal

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

https://streamable.com/nxqmz

Has anyone posted this video of Jim Cornette asking the US military to slaughter civilian targets after 9/11

:allbuttons:

American nationalism is loving scary.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Jim Cornette once stated on camera that he thinks Family Guy is the funniest show on television and Seth McFarlane is a genius

how embarrassing

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

cornette is part of the dirtbag left

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

cornette is part of the dirtbag left

He's the dictionary definition of a centrist shitlib

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Jim Cornette peaked on the December 9, 2009 edition of Wrestling Observer Radio

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i agree with a lot of jim's oldschool wrestling philosophies, and i got a kick out of when he trolled all the "butthurt lucha underground fans" and turned out to be right about the promotion.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I've been getting my wife, a non-wrestling fan, into AEW and she's starting to like it. I hate Cornette for making me take 5 minutes out of my life to explain to her what "killing the business" in the Bucks intro video came from, and why it was there.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

calling wrestling the business killed the business

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i agree with a lot of jim's oldschool wrestling philosophies, and i got a kick out of when he trolled all the "butthurt lucha underground fans" and turned out to be right about the promotion.

old school wrestling philosophies like "everyone but me is stupid"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Gumption posted:

I’ve said it before, riling up a drunk southern crowd of 20 year olds to violence in the 70s and 80s who didn’t have internet or cell phones or anything to do was probably easier than having that not happen. They barely needed an excuse, and it doesn’t really say much in terms of how much they actually believed in what they were seeing

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’ve said it before, riling up a drunk southern crowd of 20 year olds to violence in the 70s and 80s who didn’t have internet or cell phones or anything to do was probably easier than having that not happen. They barely needed an excuse, and it doesn’t really say much in terms of how much they actually believed in what they were seeing

hell, not having an excuse was often the excuse in itself

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

old school took place all in one lovely room with no windows or air conditioning and it was just logs and hard benches. and everyone was all mixed up because you had the little kids sitting right next to the 15 year-olds. it didn't work well and smelled pretty bad from what i've heard. the teachers would often teach incorrectly due to lack of education themselves

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

one thing about Jim Cornette that baffles me how very few people have thrown hands on him. Threatening a person’s life, those are fighting words. And he’s done that repeatedly.

A lot of the people he’s gone batshit on were either A: old school wrestling bullies who will always back down to a crazy person getting in their face or B: people working directly under him who didn’t have any actual recourse if they didn’t want to get in trouble

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ugh Cavauro made fun of the term old school right before I used it in a sincere way... i look like a drat fool

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like to see 30 something guys with dad bods do slow grapples to one another. I love when some guy called Barry 'Bunkhouse' Dillshaw beats everyone by sitting on them to gain heat. I'm going to kill The Elite. Wrestlers with tight, toned bodies that do incredible and exciting moves are bad, because that is not how it used be decades ago when people would try to kill me, which I liked. I hate video games and stuff like that because I'm a grown up who likes to pretend to hit people with a tennis racket. I'm fat. Wrestlers who don't sleep with 16 year old girls in the south are killing the buisness. I hate muslims. I love fast food. Please loving book me Young Bucks or I'll never stop. I'm owning the marks, I'm owning the Buisness. You're killing the buisness. I'm killing The Buisness. The Buisness. The Wendy's drivethrough girl actually likes me, she's not just doing her job.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i’ll fight jim cornette! i’ll do it right now right in the street!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yinlock posted:

old school wrestling philosophies like "everyone but me is stupid"

not everyone but clearly some

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cavauro posted:

it didn't work well and smelled pretty bad from what i've heard.

who was the goon who reported that he attended the first aew ppv and it was ruined because some dweeb poo poo himself and was so into the show he just stayed in his seat

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i like when wrestling takes itself seriously and it's framed as a legitimate competition, which is why i like a lot of older stuff. if the stakes are higher i care more and i don't need to see crazy acrobatics or some new contrived finishing move to be invested in the match. sometimes it's boring but i also get bored when someone takes ten moves in a row that look like they should result in permanent injury or death and kick out at 2. it's just a preference though and i don't see how you can argue which one is the dumber preference.

although modern wrestling is clearly the dumber preference and it is killing the business.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

wrestling is making more money than ever so I dont know what loving business is getting killed here

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I remember hearing an old interview with an AWA fan from the 80s and she gets asked if it's fake and she very clearly knows the outcomes are predetermined but the bumps suck and are real. Cornette is just dumb as hell. Or just wants to push the idea his era was the only one good enough to fool anyone.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

:crossarms:

Jim Cornette is a 58-year-old man who's now pretty out of touch with what's a marketable product in 2019 and who is convinced that NXT (audience age > 50) is going to beat AEW in the long run, but if you feel genuinely unsafe based on the idea that he somehow is secretly homophobic against two married men doing spot matches I would maybe suggest that going outside for some air would be in order

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If you're worried about going outside because you saw on the internet that Jim Cornette said that the Young Bucks were bad and that their matches are bad, yes, you legitimately need professional help. I'm sorry to break that news.

Jim Cornette doesn’t scare me. He’s my mother’s age and a foot shorter than me. But he has a very large base of fans who eat it up when he calls Omega a sissy, or says Sonny Kiss is an embarrassment to wrestling for being an effeminate gay man.

People like this are present en masse on forums, on twitter, in YouTube comments, in sports bars, in live events. Going into these spaces knowing there are people there to whom your existence is an object of ridicule is unspeakably stressful.

I love pro wrestling, it’s what I use to escape, and it only takes one person shouting out a slur for things to get very scary very fast. And Jim Cornette encourages that kind of behavior.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I've been getting my wife, a non-wrestling fan, into AEW and she's starting to like it. I hate Cornette for making me take 5 minutes out of my life to explain to her what "killing the business" in the Bucks intro video came from, and why it was there.

My partner had never watched a wrestling match in her life before I showed her Kenny Omega versus that little Japanese girl, and now she’s completely hooked on AEW - we watch every episode of Dynamite together as soon as she gets home from work :shobon:

Her favorites are all of Cornette’s enemies. She called me on my lunch break last week and told me she watched the Janela/Omega dark match three times.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 31, 2019

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Thank you, Venomous.

np. I've been there. One time I was at a Discovery Wrestling show where the House of Saynt, a group of heels led by a gay man, came out with a trans woman in tow. Whenever she did anything, the guy next to me tried chanting 'that's a man! That's a man!' and being a trans woman myself I wanted to tell him to gently caress off, but I was loving terrified of doing so at the time. (Thankfully, nobody picked up the chant.)

I mean, this was like three years ago, and I've presented femme at their shows since then, and I know Disco's very much a queer-inclusive space, but I really can't tolerate cishet bullshit in wrestling, which is why Jim Cornette fanboys are potentially really loving dangerous to queer wrestling fans.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Venomous posted:

np. I've been there. One time I was at a Discovery Wrestling show where the House of Saynt, a group of heels led by a gay man, came out with a trans woman in tow. Whenever she did anything, the guy next to me tried chanting 'that's a man! That's a man!' and being a trans woman myself I wanted to tell him to gently caress off, but I was loving terrified of doing so at the time. (Thankfully, nobody picked up the chant.)

I mean, this was like three years ago, and I've presented femme at their shows since then, and I know Disco's very much a queer-inclusive space, but I really can't tolerate cishet bullshit in wrestling, which is why Jim Cornette fanboys are potentially really loving dangerous to queer wrestling fans.

Eek. Experiences like that are my nightmare, it’s a big part of why I’ve never taken my trans bestie to live wrestling even though she loves it.

And safety aside, on a sheer entertainment level it’s loving annoying as a queer man to go to shows or just be online and see people gawking at this crazy homo Kenny Omega because he, gasp, emotes.

it’s just really loving tedious

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 31, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I don't really know Jim Cornette but apparently he called us monkeys after seeing a clip of a bad and unsafe spot in a local show so gently caress him

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
The guy can turn a phrase, I'll give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

I don't really know Jim Cornette but apparently he called us monkeys after seeing a clip of a bad and unsafe spot in a local show so gently caress him

You mean an outlaw mudshow.
Tried listening to his podcast a few times but his co-host is insufferable.
He's great when he sticks to classic wrestling but his hot takes on modern wrestling, hoo boy.