Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress kinda politics does this guy have if they clash with his stance on LGBT? Maybe he’s just a Never Trumper.

He's a lying con artist who realized the Republican party is also lying con artists. I'm paraphrasing but I'm like eighty percent sure that is the Jim Cornette Politics Experience.

Yinlock posted:

i can see the PROTECT KAYFABE AT ALL COSTS attitude being reasonable when the business depends on it but uh the cat's been out of the bag for decades now

that particular cat was literally never in the bag, wrestlers are just stupid and thought it was for nearly a century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

thank you for mentioning the poll back when I casually referred to it (having not remembered the specifics nor really cared) when I said that wrestling fans didn't believe it was real.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Of course you can do comedy in wrestling. Catweazle was doing comedy matches back in the 70s. Grado was the most over guy in the country coming out with a fanny pack to Like A Prayer. That's not new at all.

But the comedy you do needs to be in the context of the show, and not just a guy yelling "freeze frame" and going to get a hot dog while the other wrestlers stand still. There's a threshold of believability beyond which you're just being wacky for the sake of it, which is a niche product that goes nowhere and takes away from what you're trying to do in terms of having people care about your characters. The point is that they need to keep him on the right side of that line.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not even sure he's seen a single comedy wrestler. Not Santino Marella, not Colt Cabana, not Toru Yano or Rysuke Taguchi or Kikutaro.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I love how people are still mad about Chuck Taylor's silly hand grenade over a decade later. That's really heat.

Not only that, it is one of the Chuck Taylor bits that got me interested in wrestling as a teen (after ceasing caring after WCW folded), it really was the perfect spot.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

The_Rob posted:

Being an outlaw mud show sounds so loving cool. Being an outlaw is cool as hell.

There is a reason GCW takes that label to heart.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

davidbix posted:

Again: What the gently caress?

Thank you so much for providing context to this absolutely vile poo poo that makes it even worse.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The real joke is the number of racists in the comments, hyuck hyuck.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

davidbix posted:

Also, isn't he a babyface announcer on NWA Powerrrrrrrrr? Why use an old heel line? There's no way he didn't know it was, at best, offensive.

Racism and other 'olden times' bigotry are the best ways to come across as a babyface when you are cosplaying the eighties.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It all boils down to a weird humor that exists within the oppressor to laugh at the fruits of their labor and the crushing destruction they have wrought.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

he's just extremely out of touch and in a feedback loop of his fans who regurgitate his opinions back at him. he's gotten to the point where he just blocks anybody that has a dissenting opinion because in his head he just hears them saying "that invisible hand grenade spot that chuck taylor did 10 years ago was the best thing that's ever happened in professional wrestling"

It's me, I'm the windmill Jim Cornette has been tilting all this time.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

coconono posted:

yeah you never hear about the guy who does a cuss on the radio having a happy life. Even Howard Stern gets confused for Weird Al sometimes.

I'm glad I got out of listening to Ron and Fez before it got too sad (I assume it got very sad)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Wait until you find out about their protest at Kent State University where they decided to wear adult diapers in public.

:cryinggoldenflash:

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 9, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, that is pure casual racism there.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
They should both be white arms.

Because they are both racist.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

What's that in Tony's hand?

It's his money mark.

:rimshot:

(please don't actually be that is what the joke is supposed to be)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Why the gently caress is this aside happening?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The joshi related keywords Jim Cornette/the artist could find includes Chocolate Pro Wrestling.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Is it supposed to be a ricola ad joke that I, a man in his late 20s only know from old people parodying it as some piece of culture?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ARMBAR A COP posted:

this is a great gimmick

I thought so, but it seems like it's going to peak at mediocre at best and getting boring.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

Please put more effort into your low effort trolls.

I really like this phraseology. And the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Alright, 80s James Hatfield has started playing the back-catalogue, hopefully a day will let them workshop better material.