Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
OK, I finally caught up this thread. Obviously, I come at it from a different perspective as someone who's been friends with Brian for ~15 years (and if that's over, it's going to be extremely stupid, so I hope it's not the case) and has/had been sort of "wrestling friends" with Cornette for several years. Here are some scattered thoughts:

One of the weird things about Jim is that, in spite of being an old-school wrestling dude, he's....shockingly honest? As in he's such a historian that whenever the topic is something he kept records of, I'm fully willing to take him at face value even if he's not sharing the records. (In part because I'm pretty sure that if he was remotely computer literate, we'd see scans of the receipts all the time.) But when it comes to his disputes with people...I'm not sure how much I believe?

Like I've heard two completely different versions of why he hates Highspots (the wrestling company, not the conceptual wrestling thing), the Corny side version and the Highspots version, and both sound believable so I could see it being in the middle? I totally buy that the infamous "we've got the only angle that people believe!" exchange with the Bucks happened, and I think he's admitted to it, but I'm not sure HOW he meant it?

Anyway, I wish I knew how much of his weird pivot to the complete lack of filter or empathy the last 6 months or so was literally just his numbers going up for AEW-bashing and how much was stress from the increase travel, his father-in-law passing away, etc. Because the show has gotten increasingly mean-spirited and hard to listen to in a way that the podcast generally hadn't been before, even if you knew he always had the potential to go off the rails (Muslims rant). Honestly, some of it is probably the stupidest possible reason, which is that Bill Maher has also been showing his awful side more and more each week, and Corny's entire sociopolitical shtick has always been a bad Maher impression filtered through a wrestling promo. (Here's to hoping there's no vaccine talk on the JCE this week). But seriously, even if I tried to think the worst of him, I don't think I would have expected, say, this: https://streamable.com/t9teq (Even if there's some stuff—laughing off Dennis Condrey sexually assaulting Phil Hickerson as a "rib"—that I'm shocked has never bitten him in the rear end.)

There's also the issue that, by virtue of a combination of his personality type in general, being a boomer, the weird space he occupies as someone who tried to avoid being stuck in the wrestling bubble but is still in there anyway, etc., there are times where he...just doesn't get poo poo? I do believe that he genuinely thought he was "doing Andy Kaufman" with his "get back in the kitchen" tweets at Erica Steiner and others, oblivious to the fact that nobody should have any real context for that being what he was doing since it's a super generic misogynist insult. I do think he genuinely thought that his Nyla Rose as Renee Richards storyline pitch was a good idea, initially thought that Sonny Kiss was a straight dude doing a flamboyantly gay gimmick, etc. and thus wasn't coming at an antagonistic place towards them personally, but the way he's octupled down on that poo poo since is incredibly depressing. Especially since so much of what he's stressing lately—like making GBS threads on AEW for being "inclusive" when he theoretically is speaking of Marko Stunt and everyone else is thinking of members of marginalized groups—feels like deliberate dog whistling.

Of course, there are also areas where he's full of poo poo. It never hit me until Matt Koon brought it up, but yeah, Joey Janela DOES have basically the same body type as Bobby Eaton. You know what Janela also has in common with Eaton, not to mention Jim's idols/mentors Jerry Lawler and Dusty Rhodes? He had no formal training when he started pro wrestling. While it was different in the territory era, and yes, there were still ways to get proper training, Lawler and Dusty started with outlaw groups and Joey eventually ended up polished up via experience and taking TONS of seminars. This also brings to mind his weird fixation on AEW talent (and lots of indie talent) not being "properly trained" when he has no idea where they broke in. Granted, the assumption that any school owned by a name is good is not limited to him among people in the business. But in a world where Brian Fury is universally one of the best trainers in the country, Danny Cage has built the Monster Factory back up himself, etc., not to mention his buddies Chris Jericho and Lance Storm having been trained by a referee nobody has otherwise ever heard of, that poo poo isn't what matters.

Anyway, enough rambling. I just want the brain worms gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Thanks; reading it back, it's less rambling than I thought it would be.

One area where I'm genuinely never sure if he's full of it or just oblivious is the "how easy it is to get into the business today" talking point. Dude...you broke in by virtue of the fact that everyone found you really annoying when you were a photographer (Corny was a legitimately fantastic photographer, BTW) and Jerry Jarrett (correctly) thought you might be able to channel it into being a heel manager. Numerous people had similar experiences. Bobby Eaton helped set up the ring and earned his way onto shows be being shockingly talented when he and his buddy would goof off before doors opened. Tons of guys, including our buddy John Arezzi, were able to bullshit their way into doing TV jobs with zero idea what they were doing. Breaking into the business and being involved in a major promotion was MUCH easier in the territory days. Was it ever REALLY harder to break in then? Or were there just less commercial wrestling schools?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

ThePariah posted:

That clip Bix posted features some pretty blatant transphobic comments at the end.
For those who don't want to watch/listen, this is the key part; the part I didn't transcribe here is just more about wanting to light people who think wrestling should be "silly" on fire:

“You ought to be burned at the loving stake for making these goddamn susceptible think that that’s a positive way to look at the wrestling business! Whether you’re throwing people around with your dicks, or deciding whether you want to have a dick or not! Or who’s got a dick! Or who used the have a dick! Let’s quantify all these people! gently caress all of ya! I’m sorry, but I’m not going to go along, nor do I have to, nor will I ever with the ‘wrestling is supposed to be funny and stupid and silly and [starts using his hippie voice] everybody can play. gently caress all of ya! What was the question?”

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

That was a really good post, Bix, and I appreciate how you’re willing to be critical of someone you have some degree of affinity for.

Cornette just wants the dickless prissy sissies with the gay voices tied up and burned at the stake, I don’t see anything wrong with this at all nope

This is why assholes who tell me I shouldn’t worry about Cornette’s fans because it’s just the Internet can gently caress off. Dude is podcasting to tens of thousands of people this violent homophobic poo poo, it only takes one of them to take it seriously
Seriously, that's what worries me, that one part can ONLY be understood to be about trans people. If someone put a gun to my head and asked me if he has an honest desire to see trans people murdered along with the people he thinks are ruining the wrestling business, I'd say no, because it doesn't really appear to fit even the "worst impulses" version of him. But why the gently caress is he saying that poo poo, then? Does he honestly not realize what he's saying? Is he saying it to play both sides an broaden his listener base?

Until I listened to that episode, I would have pegged him as uninformed about trans people and ignorant to things that would be viewed as lovely, but overall well-meaning about them and other marginalized groups. But when you know how sincere his desire is to see to the literal deaths of people who he thinks are ruining wrestling—see his past, serious comments about murdering Vince Russo if it was legal—then suddenly grouping trans people in there is incredibly alarming.

Would it shock me if he thought that he was pivoting away into a joke and didn't realize what he had just said? No. Would it make what he said any less immediately lovely? Also no. His increasing embrace of "SJW," "snowflake," etc. is also worrying, although it's hard to gauge how much of that is intended as cosplaying Bill Maher or a similar type as opposed to consciously embracing the rhetoric of the side of the spectrum that he says he loathes. Again, though, it may not really make much of a difference, and he absolutely needs to get that.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I haven't even listened to JCE yet, but Brian is having a normal one on Twitter, now accusing Janela of injuring Marko in the AEW Dark main event finish from last week/the show that dropped this week. Even though the claim last was was that Joey injured him some other way in the middle of the match and people heard him in distress as he laid on the floor. (On the show, there's an obvious edit after Marko bumps to the floor, and it doesn't even look bad/like it was anyone's fault, just A Thing That Happened.) Said finish was an avalanche package piledriver which, while I'd rather they don't do it in a YouTube B-show match, clearly went fine, with Marko tucking and rolling at the right moments.

When I pointed this out, Brian accused me of stanning for any wrestler that's nice to me (like...Cody Hall?!?!) and owing him money (I had not yet sent him the $2.17 from the old 6:05 referral link that went into my bank account at the end of the month) while refusing to acknowledge anything I said about how the finish clearly went off safely. Joey and Marko have since joined in on the thread.

Yeah.

If he's literally decided to end a 15 year friendship with someone whose family he's known on and off since he was in 2nd grade over this poo poo then it will be the stupidest thing I've ever experienced on the internet. But I also don't really care anymore past not wanting the worst elements of the JCE fanbase to brigade me, and it's not like it came out of nowhere.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

I did, could you refresh my memory about what Cornette said on it? I know the Sonny Kiss thing but if that’s it honesty I saw where he was coming from because wrestling has a history of presenting characters like Sonny negatively as jokes and they didn’t introduce or explain him (or most other people) at all when they came out in those weird groups for the battle royal. I knew who Sonny Kiss was prior to that but I totally would have thought he was an offensive stereotype character if I didn’t because I have zero reason to give wrestling the benefit of the doubt in that regard

That said I only listened to it once because Cornette talking about AEW is extremely irritating and I avoid most of his schtick about modern wrestling entirely
The initial Sonny Kiss thing can be written off as Corny thinking he was a straight dude doing a flamboyant gay stereotype gimmick. I don't think he consciously looks at LGBT people as lesser or not deserving of rights, and I do think that he has that disconnect, not unique to him, of realizing that a lot of his pet insults are at least borderline homophobic.

But.

He really should know better why something like his Nyla Rose storyline idea was not a good one. And that "cosplay rasslers should be set on fire" rant a few weeks ago that somehow turned into what could only be understood as throwing trans people in with them...that was was incredibly concerning/disturbing. And I have no idea what other explanation anyone could even come up with. Even if it was a failed riff that ended up in an unintended place, that's what editing in post is for, because it totally sounded like he was saying something truly horrific.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 10, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

Was that part of one of the links you posted before? If he did something like that then yeah gently caress him.
Yeah: https://streamable.com/t9teq

Gun to my head, if I had to give an answer: Do I think this was a horrifically failed riff off of a Joey Ryan reference more than anything else, much less a genuine desire to see trans people slowly burnt alive? ...probably...I guess? I mean, I kind of think he genuinely feels that way about the "cosplay rasslers," which is troubling in and of itself, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of virulent transphobe who would say what came out. But it came out in such a way that I don't understand why he and/or Brian didn't stop for a second and say "Yknow, that didn't come out as intended." Because it really was an inarguably awful thing to say and not recognizing it and going in a different direction/editing the show really sends a terrible message.

(Whether or not it seems like he—or others that present as "live and let live" types—has the "I don't care either way as long as you're happy, but I find it inherently silly and dumb that this is what you want" thing going, I dunno. That's a different branch of the same conversation, but the dismissiveness, the Nyla Rose storyline pitch, etc. are concerning even if he hadn't somehow blurted out that trans people should slowly burn to death.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

What's a "cosplay rassler"? Like someone dressing up for big matches or doing over the top gimmicks or is that Cornette's insult for wrestlers he doesn't think are "real" and are just "playing dress up" as wrestlers?
The latter, with the former brought up if convenient (like the Bucks and Omega at Fyter Fest, the Halloween show, etc). Think how some people used "Fire Pro offense" as a jab at the more cold and rote ROH guys about a dozen years ago.

But it's coming from the same guy who thinks that the Bucks look like "grade school children," that there are too many "girls' matches," that Janela with the same exact body type as Bobby Eaton is fat, that, that Orange Cassidy with his visible abs and uncanny body control is un-athletic, who may think Marko Stunt is an actual child, etc. Who the hell even knows what he's talking about sometimes?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cornette lives a gimmick where he can’t ever apologize for anything, because it kills the gimmick. Regardless of politics, it’s Trump-like on a mechanical level. Vitriol drives up his numbers.

I don’t know how close this is to his real personality. Maybe Bix would. I know he has anger problems.

LividLiquid posted:

I disagree completely. If Cornette ever apologized for something, it'd be clear that he could be reached, which would make people like me much more likely to stick around. When somebody realizes they're wrong, says they're sorry, and explains why they were wrong and why they won't be repeating the mistake, I know they're actually trying. Never in my life have I ever encountered anybody who did that performatively.

I have never heard Jim Cornette meaningfully apologize for anything the entire time he's been on my radar and had he ever done so, I might have stockholmed my way right past his problematic bullshit in the hopes that he'd come around.
I've never had to deal with Angry Corny personally, at least not past some weird Twitter interactions like the last one when I gently rebutted the "AEW is paying the former indie guys 5x their best offers from other companies" thing (which he's stopped alluding for a while now, FWIW). I think he basically told me to stop because otherwise he'd start yelling at me?

But for example, while it's not like I've ever talked to him personally about this type of thing, I have no doubt that he's telling the truth when he tells, say, the story about overturning his couch in rage when he watched a Heyman-booked episode of OVW for the first time. I've long thought that the "untreated PTSD from fans trying to kill him" theory from earlier in the thread had merit—I knew I forgetting something the other day—if just because it makes too much sense. Not to diagnose the guy, of course, but you think about how young he was, how new to the business he was without having built up a tolerance for it before rising to the level of doing a "rich mama's boy/implied gay dude" gimmick as the top heel manager in freaking 1984 Louisiana...that's gotta affect you.

He did give a somewhat legitimate apology for using the N-word while arguing with a security guard during the Wise, VA riot in SMW in 1993. "Somewhat" meaning that while it was couched as "I'm sorry if you were offended," he still clearly regretted it and gave a clear accounting of how he understood that his logic of "use the word that will most hurt the person you were arguably with" was no defense/mitigation of the lovely thing he did.

But yeah, a big part of what's been going on for the last 6 months or so is that he doesn't like being called out for poo poo and he immediately ascribes the motives of the person criticizing him to be solely because he doesn't like the fan's favorite wrestler.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I get it, but I have PTSD. Like, on-actual-medications-I-got-because-of-my-diagnosis PTSD.

Kept-getting-misdiagnosed-with-depression-for-fifteen-years PTSD.

A degree of patience would be amazing, yes, and you giving that to Cornette? I get it. But people don't generally forgive me for getting triggered and acting out in response, and I also expect myself to not let my damage splash onto others while Jim and people like him have that courtesy extended to them all the time, all the while whining about how triggered people like me get.
Well, those people are lovely.

But yeah, I'm not defending anything as much as saying "one does get the impression that some of his mood issues stem from that stuff."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

FullMetalJackoff posted:

I've said it before, but it's always worth repeating. Brian is an enabler of Cornette's increasingly lovely behaviour and positioned himself as an optimal bootlicker co-host, making Radley (of all people) look reasonable in comparison.
While I agree with the "FFS, stop riling him up" part: Brian didn't lobby for the spot. Jim called him up after the Alicepocalypse all "well, people sure seemed to like what I did with you and Bix on 6:05" in his guest spots, they tried it out, and it grew from there.

The funny/sad part is that a big part of the idea was specifically to stick to the stuff that kept Corny doing good/fun/classic rasslin-centric audio as much as possible, at least aside from political rants when he felt they were warranted. There was a massive "that was great, Jim was so friendly and having so much fun that it was a blast to listen to, this is so much better than Jim ranting about stuff he hates" reaction. And because Brian has a good feel for stuff that Jim has discussed before (whether in old episodes, old interviews, columns, or whatever), he was able to get a lot more fresh content out of him than, say, Court Bauer, MSL, or Alice doing it, especially on the Drive Thru.

But the rise of The Elite and eventually AEW, as well as the genuinely good and constructive occasional WWE TV reviews, meant that "Corny rants about current wrestling" was going to fuel downloads/YouTube views.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 12, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Geez, Havoc looks so much more like Will Forte when his hair isn't gimmicked up.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

There was a big part of me wanting to completely cut bait on at least JCE, if not both shows, but I had to hear if he would throw a fit over the gimmicked Mox/Omega garbage spots as if they weren't gimmicked. I never got up to that, because...seriously, what the gently caress?

I should add, too, that it wasn't just "let's talk about the time I had a laugh with a notorious sadistic pedophile" immediately followed by "by the way, Justin Roberts looks like a pedophile." The former was about the time he goosed Grizzly. So technically speaking, it was "here's the hilarious time I tried to forcefully finger the rear end in a top hat of my infamous pedophile rapist friend, and by the way, you know that happy go lucky ring announcer who everyone likes and tried to make a dying child's life better? He looks like a child molester. because he smiles and wears tuxedos and works for AEW."

Again: What the gently caress?

This isn't even a failed boomer riff. It's the exact same mean-spirited insult that Bischoff threw at Meltzer like a year ago or whenever it was. "He looks like he needs to register somewhere before he can be around children" or whatever.

It's absolutely bizarre to see him become more and more like Russo and Bischoff as his fanbase does the same.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Psychepath posted:

That's twice today that day I learned this particular definition of goosing, once from a post about an ancient dipshit wrestling manager and once from a Dungeons and Dragons podcast with occasional bdsm inclinations.

I'd always thought it was a bum pinch to an unsuspecting friend.

What a day.
I always thought it meant "grab someone's rear end non-consensually," but when I looked it up after listening to the podcast, the verb form definition on Google was "poke (someone) between the buttocks." Was that always the common usage and we just never realized it?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

He's always been like this. It's why he keeps getting fired.
It seemed like he at least mildly lightened up for a while and realized the error of some of his past ways, a nicer person removed from the stress of running a promotion and the like, but...maybe not, clearly.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 16, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

Cornette always defends all that racism as "I was a heel and I'd say and do anything to get heat and what pisses a black guy off more than using that word?" Which is not an excuse, of course. But it is his hosed up "carnie" mindset.
He did conditionally apologize for this a few months back, when a much shorter clip was doing the rounds after David Starr tweeted about it. It was conditional in the sense that the actual "I'm sorry" was of the "to those who were offended" variety, but he did express that he fully understands now how you can't use that word at all and he shouldn't have used it then. But...he still did an "I'm sorry to those who were offended."

quote:

The "minority privilege" is just some old school white privilege though and shows how far the right has shifted in this country that Cornette now hates them and calls them racist but still probably thinks Black Lives Matter sucks or something.
He's actually gone off on the podcast on multiple occasions about how cops are hunting down black people so, if nothing else, he's definitely not a Blue Lives Matter/anti-BLM type.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I don't know what it says about—...well, people—that making GBS threads on "I'm sorry if you were offended" wasn't especially widespread at all until recently.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

The consensus should be "Jim Cornette is so lovely and useless he got dropped from two jobs in two companies because they'd rather work with the biggest idiot on the planet."
That's a bit of an exaggeration. In WWE, he had just been an active member of the team behind the greatest creative year in WWE history. IIRC, he's also disputed that Russo got him shitcanned from creative as much as he did try. Whatever you want to say about Cornette's views, he's generally pretty honest. (Although lately some of his opinion poo poo is intellectually dishonest.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

a cat youtube posted:

Cornettes rant about Emi/Riho was one of the dumber things Ive heard

Junpei Hyde posted:

what was his issue?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

They're Japanese

He didn't watch the match and admitted as such, and I think him and Brian have skipped every Riho match on every show they've watched but still complain about her. He called Emi fat and said she looked like Margaret Cho, probably re-iterated his belief that they're only in AEW because Kenny Omega has a Japanese Schoolgirl fetish and is sleeping with them, and then said their match was boring and put the crowd to sleep despite not watching and admitting to not watching it.
I heard that the Emi-Riho review was bad, but I didn't expect what it actually was, which was that they literally said nothing about either woman's work in the ring. I think they did say they watched this one, though? All of his women's wrestling and especially Japanese women's wrestling takes have been increasingly stupid (literally the only one that I've felt had any merit was "Riho's strikes look like they have no weight behind them). From the weird racist "Margaret Cho" cracks to the weird racist/misogynist "schoolgirl' cracks (with the bonus of implying that Omega has been grooming Riho since she was a small child, which is extra hosed up) to calling Gatoh Move "outlaw" for no specific reason (especially since there has literally been no major Japanese women's promotion in like 15 years) to...I don't even know anymore.

Honestly, one of the most revealing things may be how positive he's continued to be about Britt Baker in spite of her...iffy AEW performances and cardio issues.

It's hard for me to figure out how much of the "looking like a wrestler" stuff is genuine, both for the men and women. It never hit me until Matt Koon mentioned it, but after he did, whenever this Cornette poo poo comes up, one of the first things I think of now is that Janela has basically the same body type as Bobby Eaton. He's just a little smaller...and Eaton came from a small wrestler territory! On the other hand, it doesn't seem like this was anything he would have ever cared about until he was running the main WWE developmental territory, so maybe he internalized some of their poo poo without realizing it? Rhea Ripley or Matt Riddle or whoever having a great look is obviously a positive for them, but Janela and company don't have looks that are outright NEGATIVES for him. He's basically using the Johnny Ace era WWE hiring standards these days, which is hilarious but also hypocritical and sad.

quote:

His views on the show are basically worthless at this point. In the beginning he would at least offer some constructive insight or legitimate criticism but at this point if the match involves someone he doesn't like he says "thing bad" and rattles off his pet nickname for them 20 times. Brian has always been unable to actually express why he holds any opinion and the extent of his input is saying something is decent or terrible and complaining that every match is too long. More often than not he'll just agree with Jim. They skip multiple matches per show and the meat is Jim doing the exact same rants about the same people he doesn't like and him and Brian constantly bringing up how embarrassing the show is and constantly framing their criticisms as concern for the perception of the Casual Audience, who they assure you are Turning The Channel multiple times a night out of disgust for the guy with his hands in his pockets
I do think he's *sort of* genuine about the "alas, poor casuals" stuff...but maybe with the volume turned up in an obnoxious way? It was clearly a massive concern of his when ROH started airing on the Sinclair stations, for example. But lately, so much of what he says it about is stuff that wouldn't turn off anyone already inclined to watch wrestling, most obviously with Excalibur being a masked announced with a gimmick name. I'd rather they at least do more to nudge the audience about him being a retired wrestler, but he's the analyst on a wrestling show in a wrestling mask with a gimmick name. Anyone who would be inclined to watch a new startup's wrestling show would immediately figure out he's an ex-wrestler! Have any of you even seen criticism of this that WASN'T a JCE listener parroting him? I haven't.

Meanwhile, Jim retweeted this galaxy brain take:

https://twitter.com/Paul_Yeoman/status/1196122055596531714

It's almost as if people also tweet clips of his shows and his existing fans have been turned off by the shift in tone in the last 6 months and especially the last month or two...

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

Edit: The Excalibur thing is also insane because Jim was around when Lawler came into WWE, right? Is he so myopic that he thinks international fans had any clue who Lawler was?
"How the gently caress is the average viewer supposed to care that some loving goof in a cartoon crown outfit was a 'star' doing ha ha wrestling in loving Tennessee?"

Made even more amazing by how Lawler almost always wore more cartoonish outfits in WWE. He was *always* a caricature of himself in WWE, and while he had national TV runs on and off from about 1982-1991, they were mostly fleeting and with what were, realistically, third tier promotions. (The exception being his brief Georgia run where he was supposed to work with Piper.)

IceAgeComing posted:

I’m not listening to the thing because I’d get angry but a big part of why Gatoh Move is so well liked by its current fans IS because it’s “outlaw”; they do a lot of mat shows in a shop front under a dentists office that because they aren’t in a ring mean that the wrestlers have to actually work creatively with what they have which makes them better in an actual ring. They do lots of comedy but also plenty of really good serious matches as well and both are great - the Riho-Emi Sakura and Mei Suruga-Emi Sakura are good examples of the latter but the Lulu Pencil-Antonio Honda match is a great example of the former.

But the whole point of the “outlaw” thing is that it’s meant to be the sort of thing done with the contempt of the big names and that’s not true. When both worked that UK for EVE in 2016 they asked Manami Toyota to do some guest coaching and she was like “ask Emi; she’s much better”; Command Bolshoi worked Gatoh Move a bunch including her retirement show, you’ll see big names from across the scene work their shows - Nanae Takahashi and Yoshiko from SEAdLINNNG both worked a few dates this year, Kaori Yoneyama regularly works there, I mentioned Bolshoi but you go back in time and you see plenty of big names showing up in there. Other places book her trainees all the time - at this point Mei Suruga is the biggest success who works basically every Sendai Girls and SEAdLINNNG Show (probably the most traditional Joshi companies out there) but Mitsuru Konno works a lot outside as well - so clearly what you could call the “Joshi establishment” massively respects her and what she does in the little room underneath the dentists office. Doesn’t really sound like an outlaw promotion if everyone is booking you and your wrestlers including international companies, and if plenty of big name wrestling are happy to work your little no ring shows.

Apologies if this goes long but it’s something I know a lot about and am obviously rather passionate about plus I think it further demonstrates the guys inability to understand wrestling cultures he doesn’t know, how things have changed over time and frankly how things are very different in Japan.
Don't apologize. I'm super uninformed about the current Japanese women's scene so this is all very useful!

davidbix fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 18, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

drat it, now I'm nostalgic for 2000s indie wrestling.

Excuse me, I'm gonna go listen to Teenage Dirtbag.
Not only is Nate Webb back, but this happened last Summer leading into/at Joey Janela's Lost in New York:

Hype vignette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lusHXU3WLM

Wheatus performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27QN79DWWg

Fan video of the Wheatus performance so you can see the crowd reaction to the vignette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk0ZXtA4Zj4

The match itself featured an amazing Teenage Dirtbag-centric false finish. Then at Spring Break Night Two this year, during the Clusterfuck, Webb and Marko Stunt were performing Teenage Dirtbag, only to be interrupted and attacked by a masked MJF, who had been sitting on the stage as a fan.

The best.

(Oh, and after the show, I got to witness Nate have A Moment with Wheatus where they genuinely thanked him for helping keep the song alive and had a group hug and everything.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

Apparently I should be paying more attention to this GCW thing.
Yes, you should. They've even embraced "Outlaw Mud Show" into a t-shirt slogan and are making money off of it while Corny is seemingly oblivious to it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nick Gage is a modern day folk hero.
Cheap plug: https://victoryjournal.com/stories/there-will-be-blood/

(I know the spacing is weird; they took it from the print version and didn't re-space it accordingly.)

davidbix fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 18, 2019

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

TelevisedInsanity posted:

This is very sad, because Brian Zane was so good, and everybody made that comparison because "geeky guy as manager" - I can't wait for Jim to start poo poo-talking him on the podcast saying "he's a dweeb with a youtube following" and Zane just reminding him "he gets things wrong all the time"
He had also gotten on Jim's good side originally for doing an (actually kind of lovely, but loving) impression of him. Yeah.

As much as my resolve was beaten down (I've unsubscribed from JCE), I did listen to Drive Thru to see how they handled the Justin Roberts thing. Answer: Jim pretending that he said nothing implying that Justin "looks like" a pedophile while Brian acted like it was just fans being shook and overprotective, with the implication being that it didn't bother Justin or his friends.Uh...let's just say that's not the case. That segment got weirder when Jim read an email from a fan—I think a cop turned PI who also had a criminal justice degree and was explaining, in liability terms, why saying what he said was a terrible idea—who was renouncing his "Cult of Cornette" membership over the Roberts "joke."

I should note, too, in the part of the last JCE where they took aim at his actual announcing, Corny's only actual comment about anything Justin did was "Why is he so Goddamn cheerful all the time?" and he suggested that AEW try to spend big money to get Bruce Buffer of all people. He also called Bruce the good Buffer. I know Michael was famously aloof and poo poo in WCW, but good lord, when I think "great ring announcers," I definitely think "guy who messes poo poo up at his job all the time." (Personally, I also don't understand the hate for Justin Roberts outside of the of how he says "John," anyway.)

Also, given the language parsing aspect of this topic, it has me wondering again if he genuinely thinks Marko Stunt is a child.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

watching billy corgan on alex jones whining that the reason his father didn't love him was because sitcoms have emasculated the men of america was one of the more surreal experiences of my life after being a pumpkins fan for so long
OK, I need to see this.

Now.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

I couldn't remember if Wade and Jim ever came to terms so I went looking and found this

https://twitter.com/thejimcornette/status/842049893850005504?lang=en
...oof, I never saw this; kind of surprised that this didn't blow up into a bigger deal based on the "not a man" comment...but that could just be that Wade has been super low key about his sexuality outside of the blog post he wrote when his son was born. So unless you know that, it doesn't come off nearly as pointed.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STONE COLD 64 posted:

dude seriously how are you constantly shocked and surprised when stone after stone after stone here is unturned? how big are your blinders on this dude? between cornette, vcrwrestling, how are you constantly turning a blind eye to clear cut bigotry with the people who you interact with? cmon man.

STAC Goat posted:

That doesn't seem super fair. He's not defending it or even saying he's shocked by it, he's just saying he didn't see it and it should be a bigger deal. I don't think its that weird that everyone doesn't know EVERY time Cornette's been an rear end in a top hat. Its a lot.
What STAC Goat said. This doesn't surprise me at all.

There was, for a little while there, a period of a few years where I thought he had gained some perspective while living a much less stressful life. (And if I had seen this tweet, I probably would have second-guessed that sooner.) Then things started to really ramp up the last year or so showing that nope, I was wrong.

Hopkins FBI posted:

Bix will befriend anyone who says something negative about Dave Meltzer.
Not to completely derail this...no? I probably defend him on Twitter (like during the Rollins poo poo last week) a lot more than I say anything negative. Even if he's personally kind of lost the plot and told me that he thinks Ryan Satin and myself literally want him disappeared from wrestling reporting.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hopkins FBI posted:

You couldn't even get through three sentences without saying something negative about him.
No, I was making the point that I won't let his boomer brain worms get in the way of me defending him when it's warranted. Dude has a bunch of idiotic and often bigoted Russo, Bischoff, and Prichard fans making GBS threads on him all day, and it's personally offensive to me that you accused me of having any willingness to throw in with them. I wouldn't wish that poo poo on anyone.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

it feels crazy that no one read that bix post correctly and are saying weird things about it. he pointed out something really bad wasn't being made a bigger deal of.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

For the record, by the way, here's the letter that Cornette sent to the Torch about the riot in Wise, Virginia in 1993:

quote:

I thank you for trying to reach me for comment on the article about the Wise show. I'm sorry I didn't get your message in time. I have written the following so that your readers will know what happened, as I seem to be the only one who was present who doesn't mind telling the true story. This will be my only official comment on the incident.

I read your front page story on the incident in Wise, Va. with shock - shock that it must have been a really slow news week for an incident such as this to be front page news. Then, I realized the magic word - racism was used, and you, like every other TV, radio, and newspaper reporter in the country has done so many times, jumped in with both feet.

Fans, pick up your copy of Torch #258 and follow along as we pick apart this incident to discover just how this much ado about not much got started.

The t-shirt security guard in question, Shonn Bell, (I know his name only from your story) left his position and approached Jimmy del Ray and me as we were "hiding" behind another security guard, who by the way was white, and wasn't protesting. Bell got up in my face, told me, "Take your hands off the fuckin' brother," and I told him to "Get the gently caress out of my face." Jimmy then put his hand on Bell's chest and pushed us apart as it looked to him like the guy was going to fight me. Bell began shoving back and yelling, and the other guards moved in to separate Jimmy and Bell, however Bell shoved Jimmy again as the Bruise Brothers, trying to continue the match, grabbed Jimmy. Jimmy broke away and nailed Bell in response to being shoved. It was during this shoving and cussing exchange that the famous word "n**ger" was used.

I called Bell a n**ger since I was following the rules of a cuss fight which state that you say whatever will make your opponent the maddest the quickest. I didn't pick this guy out, he got in my face and if a man has any balls in his body, he doesn't back up from a man in his face, and if Bell expected to come out of nowhere and start bullying me or Jimmy, he is nuts. During the melee, Jimmy and I were both called motherf---ers, but even though we are not now f---ing nor have we ever f-----d our mothers, that doesn't matter since we are white and nobody cares what anybody calls us.

After Bell was hit, all the other t-shirt security waded in, most trying to hit Jimmy, and it was left to our partner, Killer Kyle, to go in the pile and help Jimmy escape. Kyle, of course, is black, but that fact emerged nowhere because it damages the case against us as monstrous racists. Bell was hammerlocked and escorted out by a uniformed campus police officer. That should have been the end.

But wait. As the battle royal progressed later in the evening, and Jimmy was eliminated, he walked back to the dressing room. From the bleachers he heard shouting and insults, and looked up. Who was it? Our friend Mr. Bell, who had been told to "go back to my dorm until I received a call." The call must have come quickly, as Bell had put a jacket on to cover his security shirt and returned with several friends. Then all of them took seats directly above the heel's entrance. Of course, this strategic position didn't mean they were lying in wait to start trouble, and the Easter Bunny was with them, too.

Jimmy cussed them back and several jumped from the stands to fight. The Bruises, seeing this and thinking Jimmy had been attacked, rushed to the scene to help him, as did several other wrestlers, and more students got involved. Somewhere in this either Bell or one of his friends pulled out a knife, (he obviously carried it to the matches to clean his fingernails) and swung it at our announcer, Brian Matthews, who was trying to separate everyone. That's when HE began fighting, with just cause.

With a knife being pulled on the Bruises, and other fans picking up chairs, this brought Brian Lee out as well. After a lot of swinging, chair throwing, and yelling but evidently very little damage to anyone's body, the wrestlers were herded into the locker room and the gym cleared. Despite me personally directing campus police to the eyewitnesses to the student with the knife, they obviously chose not to arrest or search anyone, or even have the witnesses give an ID. We all asked for and received an escort out of town to prevent further trouble. Since you've never been in any of these small towns, you don't realize that locals are always right and outsiders can't spit on the sidewalk.

It is all too common in this "politically correct" society to make everything racially motivated. If a black man with a criminal record, driving under the influence, leads police on a 100 mph chase, resists arrest, and gets the poo poo beat out of him, the police become the criminals. If a group of blacks attack an innocent white bystander and nearly kill him, society drove them to do it and it's not a crime. If a black man gets fired from his job, it's racial discrimination. If a woman gets fired, she sues for sexual harassment because someone once pinched her butt. If a gay gets fired, he claims discrimination because of sexual preference. If a white man gets fired, he complains to his dog because no one else cares. And the media eats it all up.

To correct and clarify other parts of your story, Bell claims I shoved him and he hit me. False - we never touched each other. Mr. Bentley says no one heard about a knife until after the fact. False - I personally witnessed the Bruises point out to police the man with the knife, but they concentrated on getting the Bruises back in the dressing room instead of going after the guy, who was either Bell or one of his friends.

"There is some fear within SMW that the NAACP could get involved." If anyone in SMW is afraid the NAACP will get involved, they need more to do to keep busy while I'm out of town. If the NAACP wants to get involved in something as stupid and insignificant as this, THEY need more to do. And on a purely personal note, I couldn't possibly give a poo poo WHAT the NAACP thinks of me.

Nothing like this happened at the 3 non-SMW shows in Wise because one drew 125 people, and the other two were WCW shows, which meant the crowd was asleep.

It seems unusual the Kingsport Times-News, 60 miles away, saw fit to cover this, since they've never covered any of the successful SMW shows in the area that have raised money for a number of local charities and groups, but the "magic word" wasn't involved in those.

Mr. Bentley says it was "good to see students... unite on this one night." One would hope they do not unite in this manner often - he makes it sound as though they banded together to repel aliens from space.

"Everyone seems to agree, though, that had racial slurs not been used, there would not have been a riot." BULLSHIT! If one security guard hadn't thought his job description included getting up in the heels' faces, pushing them around, and trying to look big in front of his friends, there wouldn't have been a riot. If this same student hadn't been allowed back in after being ejected to stir up more trouble, there wouldn't have been a riot. Racial slurs were not used to start the fight OR to get heat from the fans, they were used in the heat of an argument already in progress. If the guy had been a fat white man, I'd have called him a "fat, lardass bastard," but nobody would have written about it. I'm not a politician or a member of congress, so I don't HAVE to have a "stance on social issues," and I have enough problems of my own without minding everybody else's business, too. SMW has NEVER used one single angle based on anybody's race to try to draw a house, but you wouldn't know that by reading the Torch. If I decide to do one, you know what? I'll do it if I want to if I think it will draw.

It is time, Wade, that you and the rest of the media in this country realize that every argument between a white and black is not "racially motivated" and that some people, regardless of their race, color, or gender, are assholes with bad attitudes who like to start trouble. The only comment in the article I agree with is that it was a regrettable, unfortunate incident. But I refuse to stand mute while everyone who has been quoted thus far blows this thing up into a ridiculously monumental, earth-shattering occurrence, when in actual fact it belongs in the category of bullshit that happens, and that's about it.

Jim Cornette
Promoter, Smoky Mountain Wrestling
Morristown, Tenn.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

you mean the Bryan Last alt?

E: for those not aware, Denim Fritz was an in-joke on the 6:05 Podcast totally come up with by a fan and certainly not a bit written by Bryan Last(Bix will dispute this).
Oh, the Denim Fritz Twitter is definitely not Brian. He got sick of the dude's Twitter account quite a while back.

Legit, it would shock me if that turned out to be Brian.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

So I haven't listened to the pod yet, but I thought this tweet from last night was...interesting:

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1197750344840876032

As we know, Corny barely understands how to use a computer or most other modern technology. (It's actually kind of amazing that he has no problem using a DVR.) So it's possible that he's not necessarily saying that Bleacher Report ran an article condemning him. But there's a lot more to it that makes this even dumber than the tweet is just from seeing it at surface level right in front of you.

Bleacher Report, for reasons I don't really understand (especially given the AEW/Turner/BR Live marriage), has kind of given up on having an actual wrestling section. It was always kind of a weird hodgepodge anyway where most of the writers came up through the old version of the site and weren't exactly professionals, and that may be part of it, but they have very little original wrestling content anymore other than breaking news posts from their general breaking news team and a weekly column from Jonathan Snowden. As a result, the only two articles about the Ethiopia/fried chicken joke and Cornette's resultant NWA ousting are a pair of short, straight news pieces, although one does say "racist joke" in the headline. I'm not sure if he's calling BR a monolith and a hypocrite in light of that or what.

Meanwhile, as many pf you are aware of and as I alluded to above, BR was originally built on the backs of unpaid writers as kind of a "fan media" project that was also game-ified in weird ways where you could "earn" your way up to a higher tier of columnist. One of the goals was to become a "Featured Columnist," which was basically the top and got your stuff much more featured than it would be otherwise. Obviously, as the site shifted to focusing on the paid writers around the time myself and others were brought on, this became kind of a bizarre artifact to still have as long as it still existed. At least on the wrestling side, most of them dropped off, but the whole thing was never explained well to me especially well.

Anyway, at the time of the seven and a half year old post cited by Cornette and the fan he quote tweeted, I was the assignment editor for the wrestling section. All of the FCs went through me for their article ideas, but the sub-FCs who still existed didn't. I still don't understand how anyone thought that made sense. Regardless, the dude who wrote that article was not an FC and thus didn't work with me. As a result, there was literally zero involvement of BR editorial in that post other than the brief Content Standards team review after submission that literally everything would go through. But that amounted to the most basic possible copy edit that was really more of a proofreading.

So yes, even dumber than it looks. I have no idea how much overlap there is between then and now, but regardless, there was no editor working on that post and thus if he's trying to point out hypocrisy or something...you get the idea.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Also, isn't he a babyface announcer on NWA Powerrrrrrrrr? Why use an old heel line? There's no way he didn't know it was, at best, offensive.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Seams posted:

If Cornette is telling the truth Lagana comes off even worse than Cornette.
Based on the thing from a week ago where he was enthusiastically quote tweeting this racist poo poo from Discount Jordan Peterson (which he eventually deleted), Lagana is clearly the one closer to outright white supremacy, so I didn't even need Cornette's side to get there:

https://twitter.com/GadSaad/status/1195850040973176833

(And that's even before you get into the sexual harassment thing, which certainly feels like it informs that "Kayfabe Cocktail" bit.)

Jerusalem posted:

Well apart from the fact I assume he's already got a lot of money saved, doesn't he make good cash from sales of old merch he's picked up over his decades in wrestling?
Yes, even before the ad sales on the podcast really took off. YouTube helped, too, but it seems like his ability to contextualize, package stuff, and hype stuff, especially to people new to checking out historical stuff has made it a shockingly lucrative business for him. I say "shockingly" because, well, look at his inventory: There's not much there, he's stopped selling some of the most interesting stuff (Rookie Year and Midnight Express house show matches DVD sets) for some reason, the Wrestling Gold DVDs have been around forever for low prices (although less so the last few years), his in-stock books are also on Amazon, the burger towel, restraining order, and especially Cult of Cornette membership certificate are entirely gimmicks, etc.

Hell, a few years ago I tried to explain to him how it might be worth his while to look into getting the Mid-Atlantic films—arguably the gem of his inventory—re-transferred because they're 16mm and thus would massively benefit from an HD or better scan/Blu-Ray release. His tech-averseness meant that he didn't really get it, the most immediate hurdle being that he didn't understand how natural film grain etc. would even benefit compared to a 30 year old transfer to SVHS on an iffy setup. Looking at the success of everything else more recently, with what a cool and unique product that would be, he'd probably make a massive profit on pre-orders alone.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I believe there was a promotion that literally just threw all their old house show tapes out on the curb in boxes, and Cornette found out and rounded them up and took them home, then eventually transferred them to DVD (?) and sold them. From memory they included a bunch of guys who would go on to be big stars just as they were first getting started.
I'm not sure if coconono was talking about that or the Midnight Express house show matches set.

With the Mid-Atlantic house show matches set, Cornette had asked the JCP janitor to call him if there was ANYTHING wrestling related that TBS didn't take when they bought the company. There was: Some posters and a bunch of boxes of film reels, the latter of which had old chicken bones mixed in because they were in the promo room and the remnants of the catering/fried chicken would get thrown in those boxes for some reason. He had the transfers done in 1989, so the best quality format he could have them transferred to with the most versatility was SVHS. He started selling DVD sets—the first time it was available direct from his copies in any form—a few weeks ago.

The MX set consisted of previously unavailable matches from Philly that Cornette had a friend shoot on a camcorder and stuff that aired only on Japanese TV, usually as matches exclusive to World Pro Wrestling. (A show on TV Tokyo that aired stuff from North America, sometimes with exclusive matches. No, I don't know why it had the same name as NJPW's main TV show.) I don't know why he pulled it, though Crockett's crew shot the WPW stuff, so I could see there maybe being a WWE issue, even if the set was worth it just for the handhelds. I have no earthly idea why he stopped selling the rookie year set, as that was all stuff that has seemingly fallen into the public domain (Memphis with a little Chattanooga).

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I will say, he's right that the NWA basically put it all on him when plenty of other people let it fly. But of course if Cornette had just apologized this might not have ever been a thing. Of course if Cornette was capable of that it probably never would have happened.
It's really frustrating that Lagana enthusiastically quote tweeting white supremacist bullshit the day before is basically not being treated as a part of the story, and neither is Billy's "actually, social justice is just like the KKK" type of awfulness.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

"Three way dance" is still the coolest way of saying triple threat match, for the record.
I miss "triangle match."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

...but he admitted that he knew why...

...but how does that even...

I give up.

Also, FWIW, on this week's Drive Thru, among other things:

* He said that Britt Baker should be fired for the NXT thing...and also kind of sort of took responsibility for when TNA put one of the Highlanders on TV, complete with graphic showing his real name, when he tried to sit in the crowd incognito the weekend of the first Orlando WrestleMania. Yeah. I think that was new? And he also defended it. (Dude watching from the crowd was weird, but come on. And Britt clearly has the all clear from both sides.)
* He reiterated that he didn't watch Riho-Sakura and that it's ridiculous to have "outlaw Japanese girls wrestling" compared to what WWE offers since it only appeals to "anime fans."
* He reiterated that Ross Abrams was bad for going to Sinclair HR when Corny tried to bring in Adam Pearce, who had threatened to deck him the next time he saw him, as color commentator. Blah blah blah, how could the "merchandise weasel" have so much power over a nationally syndicated TV show? Even though Pearce had never done commentary before and Cornette only wanted him to have a bald tough guy wrestler type who was vaguely reminiscent of Joe Rogan.

There was a lot more, but it was long.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

I really don't think Cornette would agree sub 1 million ratings are "great ratings" when that's a fraction of what his type of wrestling would draw on television. Memphis ratings were unbelievable

It doesn't matter how well AEW does, he will always be able to default back to "but it could be MORE if they did it like this," even though there are a multitude of reasons that wrestling can't and will not draw TV ratings that big ever again
Huh? When did Memphis TV ever draw over a million viewers?
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1199201687652782082
Better comparison would be WCW, really (AEW has been doing about half the viewership of the main WCW TBS shows 30 years ago, but that's not exact because we have homes and not viewers for the 1989 shows. It's using Meltzer's viewers per home data that brings AEW to about 600k-650k homes/week; the WCW shows were doing 1.1m-1.3m homes/week back in November 1989.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

It’s increasingly clear particularly with the Joshua stuff that Cornette is just a catchphrase outrage machine at this point. Really sad to watch a guy who at one point was pretty smart and insightful devolve into this.
Trying and failing to figure out if "Joshua" is an autocorrect for "joshi."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vandar posted:

...he did what now?
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405356913535115264
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405358259415949312
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405358834354384896
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405359439303045120
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405361935010381825
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405362896101601280
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405363528149651456
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405364802911891456
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/405365356337696770
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/409197568543842304

(Also: Good lord, that was SIX YEARS AGO?!?!?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I don't know why I haven't just given up on listening to JCE, but the new episode features Corny saying, basically, that he can't take the Young Bucks seriously because they look like they should be on a poster on a teen girl's wall.

Yes, the same Jim Cornette who's best known for his lengthy feud with the Rock 'n' Roll Express. He said that he couldn't take someone seriously because they looked like teen idols. Not that the Bucks actually look like teen idols or have ever had any resemblance to his "grade school children" nickname for them, but still...holy poo poo.

There's also a really weird segment where Brian tries to reason with him about Lio Rush and get his thought process about cruiserweights that goes nowhere. Corny thinks that Lio wrestling opponents of comparable size is...still somehow not credible or something? Because it's useless if they can't main event WrestleMania, which he always knew Batista would...or something?

Oh, and he apologized for overshadowing the NWA wrestlers or something.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 14, 2019