Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I like having wrestling stuff on in the background during the workday. For what reason, I don't know. But I do; I'd usually put on long matches I've seen before, but like the audio.

Eventually, YouTube recommended Cornette's podcast and various clips. I put on some of the shorter ones about topics I'm interested in, and avoid the full shows, since I've learned about how lousy Cornette seems to be. Most of the brief clips are anywhere from 5-20-ish minutes, and cover a single listener's question.

Even then, it can be a bit hard to follow, and I end up zoning out of it when he does one of two things:

- He does a very odd thing where he has a sentence or two where he's trying to explain something, then repeats it. It's really jarring.
- He gets started on a story about one thing, and goes wayyyyy off the rails into some deep obscure wrestling history or personal gripe that no one but him could possibly give a poo poo. For example, if he's talking about briefly about how Flair did financially in the mid-80s, it somehow becomes 10 minutes on how he and the Midnight Express did, and then turns into working for how Bill Watts paid him, and that turns into how Baba paid Flair, and that turns into the budget cutbacks at mid 90s WWF, and then about how no one was smart enough to save their money, including Ed "Strangler" Lewis having to blah blah. The original question was whether Buddy Landell made more than Flair spent on spilled drinks, which should've been a 2-minute throwaway question. :psyduck:

A good clip might be a user asking why Davey Boy Smith was never champion, which I'd always kind of wondered myself. Cornette relayed a story about Davey stumbling into a hotel pill'd up, and explaining how he was like that a lot, including the SummerSlam '92 event, and it was likely that they wanted Bulldog to be the guy, but they didn't feel like they could rely on him. That took less than 10 minutes, and provided a ton of insight I didn't specifically know.

I guess his show would be a lot better with a producer who could rein him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

he tells a good bobby eaton story in that clip before he starts joking about firing/fining them. 25 minutes but worth the listen imo.

I remember Jim telling 3 funny stories:

1. It was a common rib to go to a group of kids, point at another wrestler's car, and go, "Listen, you loving kids, that's my car, and you better not loving touch it, or I'll kick the poo poo out of you", and then walk into the store/gas station/whatever. Eaton likely pulled this on whatever face they were feuding with.

2. Teddy Long is driving Ron Simmons and JBL to the next town, and Ron/JBL are getting loaded in the back. Teddy gets pulled over, and is so nervous he's failing the sobriety check. JBL decides to man up, gets out of the car, and admits all the beer cans are his. Simmons sticks his head out of the window, and yells, "gently caress you, I'm drunk too!"

3. Teddy is driving Ron and JBL again, in the snow, and worried about being late. JBL complains he has to piss, and Teddy agrees to pull over on the side of the road. After JBL gets back in, Teddy peels out, and JBL goes, "That's not funny." He repeats it again, and eventually tells Teddy he left Ron on the side of the road. Teddy argues he's in the back seat, and after a few moments, looks in the back of the car to see Ron's not there. There was nowhere to turn around, so Teddy drives backwards, slowly, in the snow, for a mile, to go get Ron Simmons, who's waiting in a blizzard on the side of the road.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I use the Pluto TV app for background noise during the day at work, and they have a channel dedicated to TNA. Yesterday was Genesis where Cornette is the Commissioner/president/whatever (being confronted by Kurt Angle, who beat up Rhyno to knock him out of the PPV), and wow, he's a terrible, terrible, terrible actor.

Vandar posted:

He likes Cody Rhodes and actually enjoyed his match with Darby.

I feel like if Cody's last name wasn't Rhodes, Cornette would hate him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

davidbix posted:

He's long been weirdly bad in the babyface authority figure role, going back to OVW, even though he was a shockingly effective babyface manager. But being a babyface manager allowed him to still be a wisecracking manager.

Cornette’s strength as a character is to play the victim in promos. Some level of authority removes that.