Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lid posted:

Hey im an Australian and just randomly reading about Baseball rules and i need an explanation on a double off because i dont get it.

Why are there seemingly different rules for stealing a base and tag ups? Shouldn't on the run the place of getting an out move up a base to where the batter is headed rather than just touching the base where they once were.

This only came about because i was trying to work out how an unassisted triple play works and i dont get the middle part.

If you could advance on a ball in the air then a popup would score a run with a man on second. Until the ball hits the ground (either via grounder, base hit or error) or is caught, the runner cannot advance from the base where he's standing. If the ball is caught in the air, he must be touching the base or touch it before a fielder can touch it. So essentially an unassisted triple play requires a pretty unique set of circumstances.

Generally, it has to be a hit and run because even on hard line drives runners are taught to freeze so they can go back to the base if it's caught. The fielder catches the ball for the first out. He has to catch the ball near one of the occupied bases so that the retreating runner can't get back to the base before he can touch it. Then he's close enough to the trailing runner to tag him before he can turn around and retreat to his base.

The idea of not being able to advance like that is so that you can't advance a runner on a ball in the air, where it's unlikely you'll be able to prevent the advance. On a ground ball you can look the runner back to the base, throw to the base where he's headed, or force him out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Inspector_666 posted:

Signs are incredibly important so that the catcher knows what the hell is coming.

Disagree. Baseball would be way more fun if the pitcher kept the catcher and ump guessing each pitch.

Pitchers should call their own game

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Disagree. Baseball would be way more fun if the pitcher kept the catcher and ump guessing each pitch.

Not knowing where the gently caress a pitch is going to be: The Doug Mirabelli Story.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Folty was having a rough night on Insta last night.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
As a visual aid, here's a youtube compilation of unassisted triple plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87SMtcVlu3U

Basically, you need a very strange confluence of events. The runners have to be going (otherwise you couldn't get both of the baserunners out via tag/doubling off). You need a very hard hit line drive (otherwise you couldn't get the batter out unassisted). And you need the ball hit right near second, or much more rarely, third base (otherwise you're not in a spot to tag out one runner and force out the other). Triple plays are rad because the team in the field gets out of a jam (there has to be at least two men on) and the team at bat utterly squander a good chance to score runs. I've never seen one live and in person, and only seen one live and on television. I also heard one live on the radio, which was fun to hear the play-by-play dude describe it as it happened.

Also: doubling off, in general, happens when a baserunner makes a mistake in judging a fly ball/line drive. You're not allowed to advance to the next base until the ball is caught, so on fly balls players are taught to go about half-way to the next base on a routine fly ball so they can return to their original base if it's caught, or advance if it's not. The reason you don't just stay on the bag is because if the defender drops it but recovers quickly the runner might still get forced out at the next base (because the batter is going to first, so a runner on first needs to go to second, etc).

One of my favorite doubled off double plays (and ever):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaEQVKIDGU

(god I thought the Mets were going to the world series when Endy made that catch. Seemed like a destiny thing.)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

more falafel please posted:

is the first most famous GBN alum the powderpuff game

I'm guessing Rogers is joking about himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

baseball!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914239