Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fenrir posted:

PSA: Just mow your goddamn snow.

When I was like 6 I came up with this "invention" that was a combination of snow blower and roto-tiller. I figured that it would be easy to "do something" to change it from one to the other since they both have big spinny things in the front right? My Dad thought the idea of a roto-tiller that flung the topsoil 20 feet away or a snowblower that just stirred the snow to be hilarious though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

My Spirit Otter posted:

i think it's more because we're mostly hairless, so it's easier to notice them and pull them off, we also have the ability to dress to avoid, so ticks, while problematic, aren't a priority?

I have a friend that has Lyme disease and man she says it sucks every day, forever.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mozi posted:

that's a thing we talk about up here a bunch. why the hell do we have this stuff for pets but nothing for people. i read somewhere it might cause cancer after a decade or something which is pretty irrelevant for pets but who knows. as ticks continue to spread i imagine somebody will have something eventually. for the time being, tick checks, tick checks
for ticks i recommend opossums. they eat them even more than cats and they're very friendly

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Burt Sexual posted:

I have a friend that has Lyme disease and man she says it sucks every day, forever.

Same but in Australia our proud obsession with bio security means we don’t have Lyme disease carrying ticks here so it’s literally impossible to find a doctor that has a clue about it

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Burt Sexual posted:

I didn't say weren't a problem, I said weren't a priority. Although, I think I read that the percentage of ticks with lyme disease is on the rise, so not being a priority might soon change.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ticks are vectors for all kinds of parasites and diseases that are going to become extra fun when they start hitting wider populations

also the little fuckers make a beeline for the crotch every drat time

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there are extremely powerful insect repellants for humans and if you are hiking anywhere ticks might remotely be a concern without at least coating your pants, shoes, and hat with them you kind of deserve what you get because even with those you'll probably still end up with a nontrivial number of ticks on you for any kind of long hike.

ALWAYS take a shower right after a hike and ALWAYS have a partner check you for ticks in addition to checking yourself. i do not loving care how shy you are about your body, skipping out on that is like not wearing a condom for a one night stand. you just don't do it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

My Spirit Otter posted:

I didn't say weren't a problem, I said weren't a priority. Although, I think I read that the percentage of ticks with lyme disease is on the rise, so not being a priority might soon change.

Oh I understood what you were saying, just sharing a story.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Coolguye posted:

there are extremely powerful insect repellants for humans and if you are hiking anywhere ticks might remotely be a concern without at least coating your pants, shoes, and hat with them you kind of deserve what you get because even with those you'll probably still end up with a nontrivial number of ticks on you for any kind of long hike.

ALWAYS take a shower right after a hike and ALWAYS have a partner check you for ticks in addition to checking yourself. i do not loving care how shy you are about your body, skipping out on that is like not wearing a condom for a one night stand. you just don't do it.

When I am hiking somewhere where ticks or mosquitos are a concern I coat my clothes in Permethrin. It's a potent insect neurotoxin derived from the chrysanthemum flower, and mosquitos and ticks will die slowly when they contact it. Don't use it on all of your clothes though because it's very harmful to fish and if everyone used it on everything there would be no fish in any of the streams that receive wastewater runoff.

I don't have a yard but my fiance does. It doesn't really get leaves in it because the area is entirely denuded of trees. I'm trying to convince her to plant a huge shade tree like a Banyan in the middle of it because if it gets big enough we can pitch tents and have parties underneath it. She's concerned about things like "sewer lines" and "water mains" which I don't understand. As an apartment dweller such petty concerns are beneath me.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Mozi posted:

that's a thing we talk about up here a bunch. why the hell do we have this stuff for pets but nothing for people. i read somewhere it might cause cancer after a decade or something which is pretty irrelevant for pets but who knows. as ticks continue to spread i imagine somebody will have something eventually. for the time being, tick checks, tick checks

Topicals work for a month on pets because they don’t bathe every day like we do (presumably) so they don’t get washed off. Ingestible tick preventative still requires the tick to bite so there’s a small chance the tick will have time to pass on whatever nastiness it’s carrying.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I've ranted against leaf blowers for years but now I have trees to clean up after and I found a thing that's like a reverse leaf blower that sucks the leaves up and mulches them in one go, but I feel like I'd be a hypocrite if I bought one.

Lesson here is don't paint yourself into a corner by having strong opinions.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mozi posted:

Have you tried wearing a Seresto collar? I can tell you from personal experience that they do work. On my dog, I mean. I didn't wear one.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Topicals work for a month on pets because they don’t bathe every day like we do (presumably) so they don’t get washed off. Ingestible tick preventative still requires the tick to bite so there’s a small chance the tick will have time to pass on whatever nastiness it’s carrying.

Not showering, you say? We may be onto something here.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I have one of those EGO battery operated leaf blowers from Home Depot that works just fine and is really quiet. Even at max blow I get at least a half hour of use and then just pop the second battery in while the first one recharges.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to mow my goddamn leaves but they're all soggy from the snow we got

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Novo posted:

Lesson here is don't paint yourself into a corner by having strong opinions.

leaf centrist scum

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

This was my back yard yesterday
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ReliableImmaculateDromedary-mobile.mp4

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

If you want to poo poo on your lawn you should probably be vegetarian bc meat based parasites that travel through our digestive system unscathed tend to be bad news for plants. You can compost human poo poo but there’s very little you can do with it apart from just trench it in places you aren’t gonna grow food crops. Taking a dump straight on roses sounds good in theory but in reality it’s a bad time

The Martian has taught me that using human poo poo as fertilizer is perfectly fine. Are you going to say Matt Damon was wrong OP? :colbert:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

fortunately no, not in my specific area, but ticks a real bear

do you live out in the woods somewhere like that picture looks like? if you're actually out in the country, get some guinea birds. my uncle has a pack of them on his farm and they keep the ticks down real good. plus they pretty much take care of themselves, they're like barely domesticated and still know how to avoid a fox or whatever.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klyith posted:

do you live out in the woods somewhere like that picture looks like? if you're actually out in the country, get some guinea birds. my uncle has a pack of them on his farm and they keep the ticks down real good. plus they pretty much take care of themselves, they're like barely domesticated and still know how to avoid a fox or whatever.

Whoa

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

regular chickens do the same thing, might fall prey to fox or coyotes, tho

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klyith posted:

the best part is they aren't invasive because in the winter they simply freeze to death

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

mow everything

mow over god

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

don't mow your chickens :ohdear:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

mow everything

mow over god

Mown god?

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Spazzle posted:

Mown god?

:golfclap:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
there’s no business like mow business

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mow money mow problems

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Mow down the sexy people

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Mow Mowlam

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Last of the Mowhicans

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

KakerMix posted:

About when you get excited for a new washing machine.

whoa whoa whoa

let's not lump these two boring things together

I think my new washing machine is rad as gently caress, but I still don't give half a drat about leaves

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well now, maybe you should uh... Sit out on the porch and think about that for a bit.
Maybe while reading the owners manual of that slick new washer

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

E: goddamn the site is hosed up today

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 2, 2019

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Big Beef City posted:

Well now, maybe you should uh... Sit out on the porch and think about that for a bit.
Maybe while reading the owners manual of that slick new washer

ok, but it didn't help

besides, if I rake the backyard, it's just patchy bare ground.

this washing machine, though :swoon:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Same but in Australia our proud obsession with bio security means we don’t have Lyme disease carrying ticks here so it’s literally impossible to find a doctor that has a clue about it

They don't believe ticks have any diseases here yet I got lyme anyway along with bartonella and babesia and I was super loving sick for years and had to pay for private treatment because our doctors don't know poo poo.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Empty Sandwich posted:

ok, but it didn't help

besides, if I rake the backyard, it's just patchy bare ground.

this washing machine, though :swoon:

drat that sure is one fine warsher, let me tell you what.

i bet you could clean the whole goddamn world with that warsher

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Now,

Call me a traditionalist, I might suppose, but I ain't seen a washer that don't have a decent center spindle. Now. I'm sure that's a fine washer, and from the looks of it, it sure does look the part. But now I'm used to seeing a washer with a spindle.
A VERTICAL washer. Not one of them sideways gigs where you stack em up like a goddamn European.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dolphin posted:

i bet you could clean the whole goddamn world with that warsher

it might even be able to wash piss out of leaves

Big Beef City posted:

A VERTICAL washer. Not one of them sideways gigs where you stack em up like a goddamn European.

good news, fellow washer enthusiast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wash your loving leaves!