Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Remind me, what was the Sixth Branch of Advanced Clowning? (It's the Blood 1 I presume)
Because if I recall correctly it's not Tragic Clowning, since that's Esteban and even he didn't get damnatio memoriae. (Death something on Esteban, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i'm assuming blood magic is evil clowning

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am glad that Bongo agrees evil clowning actually isn't funny at all.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

This is some good af advice

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

...he took a moment to pull up his pants, at which point the duck caught up to him and has been chasing him through the downstairs library ever since.

#1, brilliant, and #2, the duck is actually in his portrait and he's about to step on it again! Look out Bongo!

"Welcome to the This Isn't Funny Place, this is your roommate Kevin James. Cyanide pills can be found in the medicine cabinet."

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Araganzar posted:

#1, brilliant, and #2, the duck is actually in his portrait and he's about to step on it again! Look out Bongo!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

e: poo poo, I just had to do it in a cave didn't I

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
drat... didn't think you'd have screenshot the duck.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
His duck is the size of an adult human.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God bless this wonderful clown nation.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gonadic io posted:

Big bless is big.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Well, you know what they say about clowns with big ducks.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

Well, you know what they say about clowns with big ducks.

they have comically large shoes?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

gonadic io posted:

Human-size duck the size of a small duck has been seen crossing the path of Bongo. Please use caution when walking near Bongo's path

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Human-size duck the size of a small duck has been seen crossing the path of Bongo. Please use caution when walking near Bongo's path

Also please use caution when walking near Bongo's path at all other times because, you know, Bongo.

edit: omg I thought that was a photoshop is there an actual duck?

(one hmmm later) Okay so that's an actual duck. What weapon would compare to Weak Bite?

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 18, 2020

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Araganzar posted:

Also please use caution when walking near Bongo's path at all other times because, you know, Bongo.

edit: omg I thought that was a photoshop is there an actual duck?

(one hmmm later) Okay so that's an actual duck. What weapon would compare to Weak Bite?

that depends what were you wielding a week back?????

???????????

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
this is a question in trivia murder party in jackbox:

the answer is the no-alcohol one

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 46

This is the battle for Kirkostaculis, our one chance to protect our homeland from the perfidious English!

Oh. I guess they dipped. Well that's fine we have assembled the army now anyway so we can chase after them.

Let's see what actually happened then. First off a few more ghoul attacks on the Clown/Anglia border.

Atlantean militia continue to be total dog poo poo while normal PD wipes away a weakened ghoul force without much issue.

We, in turn, continue to use our clown mages to take back our provinces. It's at this stage of the game that our mages are really showing us how good having air/astral/water paths are. Almost every clown is a potential minor thug (even with no gear) that could take out a few dozen militia/ghouls and it lets us be pretty flexible.

As for what Anglia's force actually did, it split into 2 parts. The flyers jumped 2 provinces north while the main army went 1 province north onto the lizard province. There's still 11 cap-only mages there, probably about a quarter of Anglia's total I'd assume, and the actual number of screening troops are starting to look a little thin on the ground.

We're just going to chase after them straight away. This turns our research back into total garbage since the ONLY mage staying on hand (as it were) in the cap is Diana but I think it's critical that we kill this main army so that we can commit most of our forces into Anglia's lands. Of course, losing this force would be catastrophic and probably spell our doom just as much as losing the cap itself would.

In fact so many of our mages are marching to war that the owl quills that we've been making since the beginning of the game have nobody to go onto, we have nearly 20 sitting useless.

It also turns out that past Gonadic IO decided to resubmit the previous turn at the last minute and didn't save any record of what they changed it to. What a dick. One thing that changed was that Weirdo here didn't run home in defence of Kirkostaculis at all and instead, uh, I'm not really sure. Preached? They didn't move, they didn't search, I'm not sure what they did. Why would you have changed this, past me? Maybe it was a misclick. Anyway it worked out for the better because it means that Weirdo can actually keep heading into enemy lands while Nudge the Clown Paramount there can continue to take back ghouled provinces. Weirdo is, as I've said before, really quite powerful and costly and should be more than a match for anything except a main battle army or a counter-thug from Anglia.

The other thing that apparently I changed was that our besieged force in the Fennoscandian cave throne decided to break out instead of just staying put. The sieging force wasn't that big and I must have noticed that there were actually a decent number of clowns and minor mages there. Plus I have low-light vision on my bless and Anglia doesn't.

It starts off looking good, everybody communions together and then Lemondrop the First Clown uses that power boost to first bless everybody on the battle and then cast Arrow Fend and Thunder Ward while the armless women spammed Horde of Skeletons to try and soak up shots.

Unfortunately there were more mages here than I was expecting. They, from turn 1, were spamming Blade Wind, Falling Fires, and Orb Lightning depending on their random paths.

The delay that the communion caused in our buffs, the fact that the skeletons were slower and trailing behind the clowns, and the mass evocation/bullet spam meant that only about 10 of our 30 clowns actually managed to make it into contact with the enemy. They fought bravely but it just wasn't enough.

Losing 30 clown troops is one thing, but losing even just 8 minor mages was a pretty bad setback when we're struggling so much for research. Lesson learned to take even small forces seriously if they have enough mage support! I'm not going to try breaking out of here again until I actually have some decent mages and some troops to back them up with. Anglia are breaking our walls down but not especially fast. Unless they cast Crumble again anyway.

Over on the other side of the world, Bongo springs into action! It's just some aquatic pests for now to warm up the crowd but next month will be the god of Karanaac himself! The duck dives right in of course, but doesn't seem to fare too well. I'm sure it'll be back.

The unicyclists charge forward and do the real work.

And Bongo amuses himself with magic for a few turns and then only once there's nothing left to do starts to move towards the now retreating enemy.

Let's just hope his future battles continue to go this well! He'll move onto Karanaac's old cap this turn.

Our fights with the mantises continue as normal with us crushing a pretty large army as we head towards their cap. They have a small force counterattacking in Karanaac's old lands north of the caves but honestly, who cares. More Owl Quills for the pile! Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar will use the Steel Ovens to forge the other top-tier magic booster this turn, a Ring of Sorcery. These are really expensive, even with the ovens, and if I ever lose either one I'm going to be very upset. Nobody is allowed to take them into battle!

We're going to ignore their attempt at causing problems and just keep heading east. I'm really keen to end this war!

Now you may remember that our previous prophet had an unfortunate rock-related accident while at his workplace.

Well the time has come up to look for his replacement! It's worth noting that I'm in the nice position of already having two different recruitable holy 3 mages, Clowns Paramount and Ancient Clowns, so I don't actually have any pressing need to appoint one. The less nice reason is that there's no way I'm going to be able to claim a throne any time soon either. I get slightly more passive faith spread from it which is nice but I'm fine with missing out on it a few turns while I agonise over my choice. Probably the most effective option would be to prophetise one of my H3 mages to get the rare H4 but even then it honestly does not really do much for me. It'd be far better for me to wait a few turns and make a funny choice instead. Here's what Mu, the creator of the mod, had to say about it (stitched together from a slightly longer conversation):

I'm taking suggestions! Although do bear in mind that this all happened months ago and I can't actually implement any of them.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 28, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Immediately prophet Esteban.

Play the joke upon him, the world, and Mu.

I know I cannot affect events but this would be good.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
DO NOT

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Here's what Mu, the creator of the mod, had to say about it (stitched together from a slightly longer conversation):

I'm taking suggestions! Although do bear in mind that this all happened months ago and I can't actually implement any of them.
put it out of your mind this thing i forbid.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do it Esteban should be prophet. It's the ultimate joke

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you gift of reason and prophet the duck

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mzbundifund posted:

Good question, I think I'd need to cast Wish to get a second duck that we can pin down long enough to put into the ritual so it's not an immediate possibility.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Mzbundifund posted:

unfortunately, like province defense units, he ceases to exist when not in battle

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

FilthIncarnate posted:

unfortunately, like province defense units, he ceases to exist when not in battle
Schroedinger's Duck is more powerful than I first thought.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Slaan posted:

Do it Esteban should be prophet. It's the ultimate joke

The event chain for propheting Esteban should irrevocably bug out the game into a forced loss for all players.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Triskelli posted:

The event chain for propheting Esteban should irrevocably bug out the game into a forced loss for all players.

It should gradually increase sloth, drain, and death in your dominion as everyone gets increasingly sick and tired of dealing with Esteban's poo poo until death is the only release.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The discussion has continued a bit on discord too

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

You can't just post that and not prophet Esteban now. :colbert:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That last suggestion is loving STRONG.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Esteban redeemed, Esteban the Newly Hilarious

We need it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Production plummets as the nation is wracked with laughter at Esteban’s newest joke.

Population craters as peasants leave their homes to follow Esteban and not miss a moment of the hilarity.

There is no money now in Kirkostaculis- it is all being thrown at Esteban by his adoring fans. Bruises somehow show up through his greasepaint.

Research halts and the clown colleges shutter; “We’ll never get more yukks than Esteban gets by opening his mouth”

And thus it is revealed: the greatest joke was and forever will be Kirkostaculis and its tragic prophet. It is fit only to make the new pankorator exhale sharply and inscribe

“lol”.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 25, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Esteban, your time has come.

Newly made a prophet, Esteban is no longer the last tragic clown, but the very first Tragicomic clown.

(A Tragicomedian if you will)

Master of both tragedy and comedy, bringing them together in synthesis for the first time to form a whole new branch of clowning.

Great clown in the sky help us all.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 26, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Having (finally) become funny, there is nothing to achieve but godhood

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Propheting Esteban needs a real tragic arc. Accordingly, the following should happen:

• Rising Action. On prophet-ing, Esteban gets a prophet shape that actively hurts you (as others in the thread have said), but which has a unit description strongly indicating that if you keep him around (or have him fight enough if Mu likes experience-shape, etc.), he'll have a comedic breakthrough and become amazing. Really raise the player's hopes.
  • Climax. If you do the above, he becomes a clown demi-god - great paths, stats, etc. the works. Give the player a deep emotional satisfaction with having braved their way through Esteban's initial prophet phase.
  • Denouement. Have him stay in this form for three turns, then get a brutally bad event chain that starts with an event which kills Esteban (flavored as him being patched out for being "Just not funny"). Rub the salt in.

Behold, the tragic arc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This mod has brought me so much completely unironic joy. I am so glad the clown nation exists.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tulip posted:

Having (finally) become funny, there is nothing to achieve but godhood

Esteban discovers the dread Joke that can wreck a nation and sap the humor from every plane of existence:

The Meme.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Night10194 posted:

This mod has brought me so much completely unironic joy. I am so glad the clown nation exists.

Strong agreement, this mod is fantastic, seeing edgy wraiths and skeletons and englishmen getting stomped on by giant clowns is funny, and I can't get over how good that joke spell was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

If nothing else once things settle down (ha) the AI mantids sending all their research mages to die with boosters still in hand for you to collect will be nice.

Also stupid english denying the viewers a climactic cap battle.