Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zereth posted:

Things seemed to be going well for them until the clowns researched Mind Hunt.

Yeah, just imagine in really any strategy game, you have a plan that's been going well and it's paying off and now like 75% of your orders just get halted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah i really feel for anglia

the nation just seems a bit underpowered and boring compared to, uh, certain other factions (and by other factions i mean the foot people, clowns and large conglomerations of rocks in particular)

I'd disagree on Anglia being underpowered. They're a pretty impressive early-game powerhouse, and any nation without good Air access or the precognition to beeline Arrow Fend research will get hammered by them in any early fights. They just need to press that advantage early, because if it drags into the late game, yeah, some other nations can... clown on them effortlessly.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

gonadic io posted:

The other attack this turn is a bit of a different matter, and it looks like this:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Technowolf posted:

Would clown flagellants whip themselves with comically long balloons or hit themselves with their own pies?

Stepping on a rake that always happens to be in front of them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ramc posted:

the opposite of wednesday

weden'tsday

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd disagree on Anglia being underpowered. They're a pretty impressive early-game powerhouse, and any nation without good Air access or the precognition to beeline Arrow Fend research will get hammered by them in any early fights. They just need to press that advantage early, because if it drags into the late game, yeah, some other nations can... clown on them effortlessly.

Anglia player here, I posted earlier in this thread about when the war started but to repeat it, the fuckup I made as Anglia was attacking so late. My research and income was stupid and I could, should and needed to have attacked 20 turns earlier than I did.

That kind of strategic blunder is pretty easy to make when its mod nations that you've never played before against nations you've never played against in a matchup you'll never see again. I'm not a bad player and I've won before but I'm far from the best and haven't played nearly as much as most of the dom crew. In specific fuckups, I thought my air immobile would be able to teleport around like an astral immobile only to be undone and left without a stupid fuckoff totem to drop on things because you can't use the air teleport if you can't move

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

But the true victory is impressing people with your witty commander names, and "British People" is a lot harder theme to work with, so they're a challenge nation.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Foxfire_ posted:

But the true victory is impressing people with your witty commander names, and "British People" is a lot harder theme to work with, so they're a challenge nation.

British people are inherently funny.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Hard times for British clowns though, poor Tommy Bungles...

the Express back in the Year 2017 posted:

BRITISH clowns say the hit remake of Stephen King's bone-chilling horror movie IT has affected their trade.

They say there is nothing funny about watching bookings for events drop by 30 per cent because youngsters - and adults - are now terrified of them. Tommy Bungles, 62, says bookings have plummeted since the trailers featuring child-killing demon clown Pennywise began to appear on TV. Tommy - the clowning alter ego of Malcolm Singleton - was already feeling the affect of last year's killer clown craze in which people dressed in horror clown costumes to terrify strangers. And he says the smash-hit horror film is "just another nail in the coffin" for the clowning industry as a whole.

His fears are backed up by the World Clown Association who report "school shows and library shows" regularly being cancelled. The organisation's president Pam Moody, based in the US, insists Pennywise "is not a clown and has nothing to do with pro clowning".

The WCA is so concerned that it has issued a press kit to help its members fight back against the negative images of clowning portrayed in IT.

pro clowning ITT

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Araganzar posted:

pro clowning ITT

Presumably represented by "the long-forgotten Sixth Branch of Advanced Clowning, the writings of which were all burned, and the artefacts of which were all broken, and the practitioners of which were all sealed away aeons ago in the This Isn't Funny Place."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Araganzar posted:

pro clowning ITT

Look, yes, everyone knows clowns aren't really funny. We just watch for the stories.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I once saw an erotic clown show.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Speleothing posted:

I once saw an erotic clown show.

Listen buddy, Kirkostaculis is gonna get as many worshipers as it can, nearly everyone one of 'em stick around once they see the light of true comedy, but you gotta get butts in seats to start.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

I once saw an erotic clown show...

show WHAT? WHAT? WHAT DID THE CLOWN SHOW YOU????

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Zengetsu posted:

Listen buddy, Kirkostaculis is gonna get as many worshipers as it can, nearly everyone one of 'em stick around once they see the light of true comedy, but you gotta get butts in seats to start.

Her red nose reminds me of those nose cones goof troop cosplayers use.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Zengetsu posted:

WE HAVE SUCH LOLS TO SHOW YOU

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Donkringel posted:

Her red nose reminds me of those nose cones goof troop cosplayers use.

who the gently caress is cosplaying goof troop? I mean, I guess people will cosplay anything, but how is "goof troop cosplayers" a big enough faction that you can be reminded of something they do

Ramc
May 4, 2008

CountryMatters posted:

who the gently caress is cosplaying goof troop? I mean, I guess people will cosplay anything, but how is "goof troop cosplayers" a big enough faction that you can be reminded of something they do

You say this but like within a week you will be working on a goof troop cosplay dom5 mod nation now.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

CountryMatters posted:

Goof troop was pretty good! Not surprising it would make an impact on folks and it would be relatively easy to cosplay (black socks covering your ears, black face paint for the nose, street wear).

Apparently it can be a good couples costume!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
so I take it the goof troop cosplay mod nation is going to be a blood/astral horror summoning affair then

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Right, I've been patient but this has gotten entirely too silly.

Look, everyone loves clowns. Except my bridge club. And of course our neighbor Mr. Duchamps, but he's French and doesn't wear a hat. But a man has to have a line, and mine's drawn right at the entrance to Goof Town.

Get those socks off your ears, lad, have some pride.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ChaseSP posted:

Stepping on a rake that always happens to be in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NUFHLngNEk

e: and yes, there exist people who are horny for clowns. Don't ask me how i know this.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I think this has been my proudest thread derail.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

President Ark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NUFHLngNEk

e: and yes, there exist people who are horny for clowns. Don't ask me how i know this.

dude we all know about Harley Quinn, this isn't some exclusive knowledge

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 60

Last turn we were attacked by a giant monster named Trito. Despite Anglia's attempt to boost his magic resistance we're firing off five mind hunts with boosted magic penetration. Roughly 40-50 gems went into each set of mind hunting gear although the Steel Ovens helped a lot of course. Trito might stand up to a few hunts but 5? I like my odds.

Okay try 1: not Trito. Not ideal but now that we've gotten rid of the scout we still have 4 left to slam into the monster.

Try 2: also not Trito.

Tries 3 and 4: oh come on

Try 5: I mean that's a bit more like it. gently caress. To make matters worse I'm not actually sure where Trito flew off to. He's absolutely not dead, or stealthy, but I really don't know where he went.

quote:

gonadic io: dammit people stop getting your scouts in the way of my mind hunts
BaronOhShi: Stop mind hunting my scouts!
Xanrick: Scouts just want to see the good fites.
BaronOhShi: exactly
atelier: if it was one of mine ive started trying to position them to eat mind hunts
gonadic io: cunning
atelier: if i was cunning i'd have started doing so before losing elemental royalty to mind hunt

Anglia cast another global this turn, and it's one of the best - Dark Skies. Trying to invade into somebody with Dark Skies up is brutal because even though our extremely smart low-light vision bless means we don't care about the darkness we DO care about the -8 or so to morale for all units. Consider your normal morale 12 guy: he's fine, braver than usual, might get spooked seeing his friends die. But under Dark Skies? He's morale 5, at best, and is so cowardly that simply being in a small enough squad will see him flee. If you then combine this with battlemagic like wailing winds, earthquake, bloodletting or what have you, it basically means you can't be invaded without a massive amount of preaching investment first. It even works on the map layer so makes enemies more susceptible to seduction, looming hell, melancholia, and other ritual attacks. It's a problem. It's not quite so bad for us because clowns have Really Good morale - 15 base, if you remember I had a spare bless point so took +morale giving my bless +2 total, and then also most of our clowns are experienced enough to get another 1 or 2.

There was a battle in the magic phase! Anglia has started cloud trapezing counter-raiders onto our wandering clowns. I don't know if Faery Queens are technically elemental royalty but they are certainly of a similar powerlevel being a conj 8 summon. This one has some half-assed gear and more importantly enough nature gems to spam swarm a bunch. Note that this game wasn't actually running JBBM (it was the last of the mod games not to) so this is still the pre-nerf swarm that summons an absolute shitload of tiny bugs including some ants with armour-negating stings. Vanilla swarm is notorious for being able to assassinate effectively most single commanders.

Because it's not a true assassination, Jellybean is able to flee from the bugs and because Anglia haven't been diligent about cleaning up these provinces then he was even able to successfully retreat and be no worse for the experience! Most Clowns Paramount have fire magic and casting fire shield would have made this kind of thing much easier to deal with. Unfortunately Jellybean doesn't have fire magic or an AOE weapon so can't really stand up to 20 bugs. Lucky that Dark Skies was up or he might have fought to the death!

We do at least know that the Queen has no more gems so that means we could probably just kill them if they can't cast swarm! Time for a rematch (jk the Queen is really unlikely to stick around).

Meanwhile the Anglia cleanup is still belatedly happening. Maybe Jellybean should just kill these guys.

As for normal battles, Nudge the Clown Paramount does start his journey but pretty quickly realises that the only way to go is a big fort so I guess he'll just turn around and join the siege with his friends.

Meanwhile our Karanaac-based forces clean up some AI or mind-hunted trash.

We're mostly just gathering forces in this area ready to retake this cave throne on this side.

Meanwhile Anglia's own raiding force of mercs go stand on our secondary fort next to Kirkostaculis.

Our big force is finally reaching Fennoscandia this turn!

I seriously have no idea where that Tarresque has gone so instead I'm just mind hunting (and then attacking into) this force sitting on my fort.

There's still this massive force here which is concerning. It looks like it's heading back east to either pressure my cap or to attempt to save Fennoscandia?

I take another look through my spells list and there are TWO we haven't cast yet! The first, Construct Little Pie Factory, finally finally lets us start to recruit first and thirteenth clowns outside our cap. It would be nicer if we had more money of course but it's still good.

The second is Strongman Transformation. Now prior to the game I had decided that this spell was pretty useless. Clowns get no earth magic and every pretender is old enough that when they turn into a strongman they turn into an incredibly wizened one and take incredible stat penalties, not to mention probably dying a winter or two into the game. However turns out it's good when you happen to get random indie earth mages like these Crystal Mages. It's cheap too so I'm going to have a bunch of E2S2 strongmen!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gotta get huge

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I look forward to the army of swole old men.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
dominions engine: no strongman may live past the age of 50
400 year old wizard pretender: can't wait to get buff!
*1 month passes*
400 year old strongman pretender: I have made a huge mistake

Although I did test and having N10 does actually give you a big enough boost to your maxage that a few of the younger (human) pretenders can become a strongman and not be old. Not N9 though, only N10.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

gonadic io posted:

*1 month passes*

Although I did test and having N10 does actually give you a big enough boost to your maxage that a few of the younger (human) pretenders can become a strongman and not be old. Not N9 though, only N10.

Clearly the solution is the Unaging bless.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

gonadic io posted:

*1 month passes*

the medical problems from steroid abuse are no joke

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What does strongman give you?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Muscles?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:megadeath:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

sebmojo posted:

Unfortunate calves, apparently.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
So, what is going on with that candle province's neighbour lines?

Does it connect to some distant provinces or something?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Banemaster posted:

So, what is going on with that candle province's neighbour lines?

Does it connect to some distant provinces or something?

Yep! This is not a wraparound map, so to get around the usual problem of only having 2-3 neighbours, the mapmaker put in a "fast travel" system where the various small candles on the map each connect to one big candle, and all the big candles connect to each other. All the big candles also had custom armies on, throne-style, but they're all long gone at this point of the game.

gonadic io posted:

Turn 10
Finally we're sending a scout over to Karanaac's lands this turn. How are we doing that when they're half way across the map you ask? That's right it's time to talk about this map's gimmick, the candles. Not dominion candles although that ambiguity did come up several times when talking to the other players. This map is surrounded by 4 large candles which all connect to each other, so that once you get onto one you can very quickly cross the whole map in just 1 or 2 provinces. Although they do look pretty sickly when parts of them are in "snow" and parts of them aren't.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 25, 2020

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i suppose strongman ritual might be good if you want to try and make some wizards to cast that range punch spell in case you want to try beating defeeting U at their own game

(this is a bad idea don't do it (do it))

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 61

Mind hunts! If you recall, last turn we'd lost track of the Tarresque and instead fired off at a raiding stack of mercenaries. This is what that stack looked like with, count them, two commanders - one named Otto and one named Clovis:

Just how many loving scouts are there?? We hit Otto at least, missed Clovis, and didn't get brainreaped.

Clovis attacks our cap only to find out that Otto's troops are not with him - instead standing around their commander who now has his brain bleeding out of his ears. Guarding our cap are a large amount of knife throwers who were hired as a result of the ghoul attacks what feels like 20 turns ago and have seen no action since.

This also allows our anti-raiding force to chase off the monkey mercenaries who have nowhere to run to.

Our own raider, Jellybean, once again gets attacked by an Anglian teleport. This time however they were fresh out of conj 8 summons so chose to employ one solitary arrow. It didn't work out for them. I've said it before but the fact that the larger bless applies outside of combat (and boosts map move outside of combat) is one of the things that make it a lot better than I previously gave it credit for.

Jellybean takes another province despite the arrow and keeps moving on.

We cast Little Pie Factory in Karanaac! We get a little event, and I can't wait to check out my new factory and its recruit options. I love how the fact that it was successfully constructed is unexpected.

Wait were there supposed to be so many wolves here? They've eaten all the pies! Turns out that the Little Pie Factory can only be manned (well, clowned) by clowns and so if anybody captures the province the factory is destroyed. It also turns out that sieging a fort counts as owning a province for the purpose of events so there is, unexpectedly, no factory.

Fine, we'll cast it again and on a safe province this time, instead of the one fort that Karanaac is constantly sieging.

Our main force finally arrived at Fennoscandia, beating the PD and leaving the walls "moderately damaged" which means 1-2 more turns of sieging.

Our other Clown Paramount raider, Nudge, heads north and you can see that Anglia have send a sizable force back here too.

I mean I say "sizable" but it doesn't actually look that big. I suppose we are well and truly into the stage of the game where the Great Engineers and elemental royalty are the real threat there. I don't know if that force is going to go east to contest Fennoscandia or west to pressure my cap but I send a bunch of clowns in its direction anyway. I can't see any Mediums in the overview but this force did have some last time so I don't want to attempt to mind hunt it just yet.

Speaking of, we found out where the Tarresque has gotten to! Looks like instead of fighting us he's been cowardly cleaning up lake indies. Well for his trouble he can have all 5 pen-boosted mind hunts. We should be mostly safe from scouts underwater.

Frateborn successfully lifted enough weights that he's boosted up a pretty chunky amount of hp! It's nice to have some extra map move too but the other stats don't really matter.

Next turn we hit evocation 7 which has some nice stuff in, and the plan is to take Fennoscandia then start pressuring Anglia itself. If we can cut off the supply of those cap-only mages that would be a massive blow. Unfortunately you'll note here that I'm not keeping in mind the golden rule of dominions - Always Be Claiming. Taking Anglia's thrones from them is probably more important than their cap at this point.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 1, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

God I love that the stilt walkers clip upwards and cover up the troops above them in the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Evo 7 has some of those "if you're prepared for this and your opponent isn't, you win the fight"-spells like Firestorm.