Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

goatface posted:

How easily can the pods break into blood? Has he had to dig up an indie blood commander and bootstrap from nothing?

the thing about blood is that it's the easiest tree for anyone to break into. unlike the others, where you have the catch 22 of "need gems to empower someone to have the paths, gems mostly come from sites, you need someone with the paths to find the sites", any idiot can blood hunt; commanders without blood levels just really, really suck at it. but you can still spam random indie commanders to blood hunt in enough provinces to eventually scrape together the slaves to empower someone to the blood levels where you can make sanguine dowsing rods or summon demonic blood mages, at which point you're off to the races (plus having even blood 1 makes hunters go from "lucky to get 1" to "usually nets a few every turn"). this, plus blood having a lot of good endgame spells, is why blood is the go-to choice for endgame magic bullshit: everyone has access to it, some people can just break into it sooner than others

and the point is muut moot, anyway, since u gets these guys:

gonadic io posted:

They do eat pop and cause 1 unrest each though so it's not trivial and I imagine Xanrick moved to other blood mage summons or empowers as soon as they could.

the unrest would be a problem since blood hunting raises unrest already (people don't like it when you kidnap their daughters, who knew???) but not an insurmountable problem, especially for a faction that can poo poo out a million feet to patrol in provinces

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
U also has a troop, the Epiphagoi, that have a chance of either spawning more of themselves or one of those blood mages if there are 5 of them in a province. They do cause a bit of unrest, but if you just scatter them through some of your lower pop provinces you can get a good number of free mages.

Xanrick
Mar 13, 2003

Overlord of Mediocrity
More unrest just means more patrolling and more patrolling means the population shrinks even faster, eventually causing marginal provinces to start dropping in their slave income. That said, I'm running death scales anyways, and I get half the normal gold income to start with, so hunting my provinces into oblivion is pretty much the right call regardless - especially when things transitioned into the late game.

I didn't start hunting until about year 2, but I've scaled it up significant from about year 3 onward - that's where all of the illearth elemental summons are coming from, they are a very efficient blood summoned troop which I can easily lead using the 3-footed giant commanders (given they are magic creatures), who are mindless to boot, so they don't have to worry about mind hunt. Toss a ring of water breathing on the commander and the whole army goes underwater without penalty.

If there's two things I'd change first to reign in U's power level, it'd probably be the ability to get multiple immortals from that global and the low cost of the illearth summons. Earth elementals are probably the weakest elemental, but large numbers of size 6 tramplers are almost always going to be dangerous to deal with, provided I don't just run them into a stack of giant clowns.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

President Ark posted:

especially for a faction that can poo poo out a million feet to patrol in provinces
So you're saying they can just easily stamp out any unrest?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They put the boot in and make sure everybody toes the line.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
They're definitely not shooting their own foot having these guys bloodhunt.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Imagine being a tax protestor and being oppressed by a hundred little feet blindly dancing about. That's gotta be a real kick in the nuts.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kobal2 posted:

Imagine being a tax protestor and being oppressed by a hundred little feet blindly dancing about. That's gotta be a real kick in the nuts.
Adds a whole new meaning to "Don't Tread On Me".

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Mind you, if they don't wanna go down that route they can be pretty nice guys, always ready to lend a helping hand and give the little guy a real leg up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i am going to sacrifice you all to summon imps

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i am going to sacrifice you all to summon imps

If you think I'm building a castle in three seconds any time soon, you got another thing coming. I got a union, pal.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Turn 73

Right after the disaster that was last turn, we're on full scramble to prevent U from winning the game. First off we were firing a bunch of mind hunts at U's lake throne which they haven't yet claimed.

Overall: not a success. One mindless commander, one astral mage, and one commander who just resisted anyway.

The other thing we did was Murdering Winter. Frostbite wreaks havoc on exposed limbs I hear. By last estimates there were between 1200 and 1400 feet heading towards chasos' thrones - and we killed about 50% of them, nice. That's by far the highest number I've ever seen from a remote attack spell like this and it probably killed more feet than we have units total.

Elsewhere we see the usual failed assassination attempt. Ancient Clowns are so good.

Our "scouting" party of now infirm and feebleminded Bearded Ladies attempt to find a humourous death.

I'm glad burning man is now back to witness the end times. The odds that I'll be able to commit any forces to killing him once again before the end of the game are pretty low honestly.

Here we can get a look at just how diminished U's massive army is. All the imps are dead and the feet are down to mere triple digit numbers. Sadly the autoblessing Mu-Atlas, not even the pretender, and all the punchy mages are doing just fine.

In fact I don't think we've seen the non-pretender Mu-Atlas before. He's got the same testicles as the pretender, the item that autocasts the upgraded divine blessing spell called Echoes of Mu. This one has been given some powerful magic resistance gear almost certainly with mind hunt in, well, mind.

How does U summon those? It's an enchantment 8 summon costing 85 earth gems. Wait, U has had Earth Blood Deep Well up all game right? Those 20 earth gems a turn mean that they can probably have a lot of these guys.

Let's think back to this poorly aged paragraph from turn 41. U can get a LOT of these guys. I'm starting to think that we might be pretty screwed here.

gonadic io posted:

Turn 41
In the circled province at the bottom U also has a very special site, a 20% discount on enchantment rituals. Now I asked around and the enchantment one isn't really that big of a deal [...]. What I failed to consider though is that this logic only holds in vanilla and I did not check if there were any U-specific enchantment rituals. Oh well I'm sure this won't come up again.

Once again the Chaosos AI decides that we're the real threat here.

This is the turn that we get to discover the U also has a bunch of navel themed teleport spells. Guts from U requires E2H3 and will teleport the caster and their troops while through the Navel is requires only E1 and is a personal teleport only. Both are enchantment 0, not that it really matters at this point, and can only be cast into caves, and can be cast from either U's cap or any other cave.

With the attack come 3 of these immortal guys who have all been empowered in blood and the main commander is the Son of Mu we've seen previously.

They easily stomp 1 PD of course.

But what's this? Our own internal troop shuffling has wandered into the province and been ambushed by U's newly teleported forces! If I had known that this would be coming I could have scripted e.g. soul slay or even, you know, brought an actual force along.

Clowns of course pulverise the feet especially when there's no Mu-Atlas to bless them. Some corrosive spit, the anti-pie, is coming in from the blemmye cows.

After a bit of buffing, the big guys on both sides wade into the fray.

Pongy here is not messing around. 20 protection, mistform, invulnerability, ethereality, 75 hp, and a whopping 21 defence skill versus the Autoktonios' 13 attack.

The small clowns kill all the feet but sadly fall to the onslaught of cows leaving Pongy surrounded and routed.

His stats are reduced by the routing, the surrounding, the multiple attacks, and the fact that all of these attacks are magical so the Autoktonios don't give a gently caress about any of the mistform/ethereality/invulnerability. It's only a matter of time.

Oof this was an unfortunate one.

U didn't bring along much siege strength so they're quite far from actually breaching these walls but 1) there's nothing stopping them from teleporting in a bunch of grubs or whatever next turn, and 2) their presence is still a massive barrier to our mobilisation. Forget just a single clown wandering around backlines, now this is what I call a raid.

In happier news, our own assault on U's nearest throne is going as intended. We didn't break the walls in one turn but I think it's quite possible we will next turn.

Quite concerningly next door U has brought in a counter-attack force consisting of their pretender and a thousand-plus feet. We have a fight on our hands! We're going to send in a Murdering Winter cast since the last one went so well. The province is in heat 3 so I think that means that the 8 damage will go down to 5? No problem for killing feet.

Our plan for the fight is to take this mere F1 Ancient Clown, boost him up with a hat, power of the spheres, phoenix power, and a communion, and have him cast Fire Storm. Twist fate or no twist fate, this spell will incinerate U's whole battlefield and thanks to our bless and buffs our own troops should be pretty protected. Krusty is surrounded by some very massive bodyguards to prevent any attempt to interrupt his casting. Apart from that we also have the usual relief and howl, as well as battlefield-wide luck and the usual clown buffs, thunderstrike, and soul slays.

Two smallish raiding forces from U, one over on the mantis cap. We have a lot of researchers sitting in here but the odds that this force is going to sit around to siege is really low.

And the other over on the U/clown border. This one we will actually respond to as our forces here are ready to move out and pressure the throne there and maybe even rescue our god.

In a move of unexpected foresight by me I've also decided to scope out what's inside this fort before I storm. We've got a big line of D3 mound fiends, one with a staff of storms to prevent flying attacks. They put out a LOT of skeletons.

Apart from that there's not much though. Unfortunately we don't have the research for solar brilliance or the death mages for wither bones so we're just going to have to push through those skeletons with our 70 or so enormous clowns. We do also load up with a bunch of casts of Living Fire on the sidelines. The fire elementals are ethereal and so can go through the walls to hopefully be able to get to the mages in the back and avoid the scrum in the gate. Howl, mass protection, relief, etc all going off too. We don't have the fire magic for Fire Storm here unfortunately.

Right, we are kicking off that raiding force from our cave throne. Now's the time for our Imaginary Clowns to shine! At this point we will also be spamming Enslave Mind.

I have however noticed that our prophet doesn't actually have any magic leadership so he can't lead any of his fellow imaginary clowns into battle. We're forging him a hat to help with this. Please ignore the fact that I was a dumbass and gave him holy water forgetting that prophets are blessed at all times, just be glad it wasn't a shroud. Still though look at that 40 strength thanks to the two points of chaos power and my lands all being turmoil 3.

Finally, Anglia went AI last turn I think they had some IRL issues. It's not like Kitfox is about to do anything so it's all down to us!

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 22, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gonadic io posted:

Finally, Anglia went AI last turn I think they had some IRL issues. It's not like Kitfox is about to do anything so it's all down to us!

Man, just, avalanche of bad news here.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Nice to see one of U's heroes.

I'm U in a game currently and after like 60+ turns of Luck 3 I haven't seen a single one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Every story ultimately comes down to the oldest and most fundamental of conflicts: Clowns vs. Feet.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
something something cold feet

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Are you and U now the only ones still in the game?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

DTurtle posted:

Are you and U now the only ones still in the game?

Ants too, technically.

Many empires have risen and fallen but ants....ants never change.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a duel to the close. I would guess to the loss, but I have never been good at dominions.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tulip posted:

Man, just, avalanche of bad news here.

i'm pretty sure the timing was i dropped that i was going AI into discord from my phone in the er after getting hit by a car

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

atelier morgan posted:

i'm pretty sure the timing was i dropped that i was going AI into discord from my phone in the er after getting hit by a car

Well gently caress, I didn't even hear that.

Hope you recovered as well as possible.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

atelier morgan posted:

Jesus, that sucks, I'm sorry.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I was lucky and ended up with no real permanent damage so it's all good

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

atelier morgan posted:

I was lucky and ended up with no real permanent damage so it's all good

Be careful, with what we saw the last couple of turns I wouldn't put it past U to have a remote assassination spell that does this.

Seriously, glad you took high luck scales. Hope you and the car remain mobile and in good spirits.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

megane posted:

Every story ultimately comes down to the oldest and most fundamental of conflicts: Clowns vs. Feet.

it's such an insanely fetish-dense matchup

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Guanghan is at last released! Behold: another mod nation.

Guanghan is Journey to the West/Painted Skin themed and doesnt have bees but still, we got foxes!

harmless

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shouldn't that be Jade Hares?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That would be the load-bearing pun, yes

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

:thejoke:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

The Lone Badger posted:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Did we ever get an explanation for our clown pretender's bless choices? A friend is curious to know why no Quickness.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Huge clowns is more comedy.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Artificer posted:

Did we ever get an explanation for our clown pretender's bless choices? A friend is curious to know why no Quickness.

I touch on it in the first turn, and when fighting rocks, but the main reason is that 1) larger is great on clowns due to the double damage kicks and so making small clowns size 3 is a really big deal, and 2) the rest is mostly focused on targeting rocks yeah. Fire res for fire shield, magic res for astral shield, magic weapons for ethereal, and then strength to get through the prot.

Doing it again without rocks in the game I could be convinced to drop the fire and the blood, but imprisoned larger/magic weps is probably still what I'd go with it's really great. Something like dormant quickness/magic weps/larger would be hilarious and seems a good hellbless choice to me also. It's very pricey though and if there's one thing I've demonstrated with this LP is that clowns also really like scales.

edit: the short answer is that quickness is very expensive and doesn't really help versus rocks

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 27, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Does anyone know the volume for a single unit of Humor? With that we could calculate how much funnier each clown gets from being enlarged which would help coming up with an optimal bless strat.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Does anyone know the volume for a single unit of Humor? With that we could calculate how much funnier each clown gets from being enlarged which would help coming up with an optimal bless strat.

Volume ? What are you talking about ?
The base SI unit of humor is the Clown, which is defined as enough raw Fun to generate one laugh per second in the SI human. Obviously larger clowns generate up to 33% more Clowns than your run of the mill, regular size clown ; but quickened regular sized clowns can also generate more Clowns depending on the context although there is a hard ceiling, equally obviously. A man/merman/undead can only laugh so much in a given time, so generating Fun faster than that provides little to no benefit besides the occasional veering into gibbering violent insanity or instant death which, while Dark Fun, may not fit with your overall strategy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blood bond/regen clowns to make it Never Ever Stop

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
One day I will take larger/regen and clowns aren't the worst nation for it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

gonadic io posted:

One day I will take larger/regen and clowns aren't the worst nation for it.

Out of curiosity, what is?

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Probably vaettiheim? There are a bunch of nations where larger/regen doesn't help much, but turning a bunch of size 1 dense-attack sacreds into size 2 sacreds actively hurts you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Generally Larger is a good move on size 4 and 5 sacreds, and generally you only want regeneration on sacreds of that size as well since they tend to have the HP pools where 10% regen/turn is potentially likely to keep them alive for a while. It'd be a bad bless on just about anything that's size 1, 2 or 3.