Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

I'd blame prius drivers, but my loving dbw vw did this in the early 00s.
Yeah, it's standard fail safe characteristic of DBW throttles, but it really is irritating sometimes. Ah well.

Car seems to drive fine (I've got it on winters for the time being), I think it's going to need a couple more goes with the ozone generator as warm air running through the HVAC system etc continues to waft out a bit of dog odour from inaccessible corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Dagen H posted:

Cattes! :3:

My wife's '16 Equinox doesn't have a fancy built-in satnav, so she runs a dashtop unit. She wants a new one that uses BT to give instructions through the stereo's speakers (interrupting the radio). Does such a thing even exist? Am I missing a secret keyword in my search?

Do people still use traditional radios?

If you use a phone as the music source and then also run google maps on it, the google maps verbal instructions mute the music. Can you not just get her a decent phone bracket/charger?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

freelop posted:

Watched GWAR live last night.
Currently resemble something the shade of a boiled lobster.
Ended up right near the front wearing a nice white band shirt that they were selling.

I saw GWAR completely by accident when I was at Penn State. Walked into the bar, was shocked by the $10 cover and the door man was like “oh there’s a band”, which turned out to be GWAR. I made sure to sit upstairs so as to avoid being eaten by the World Maggot. Very surreal

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tomarse posted:

Do people still use traditional radios?

If you use a phone as the music source and then also run google maps on it, the google maps verbal instructions mute the music. Can you not just get her a decent phone bracket/charger?

I do - there's a good independent radio station here (KOOP), plus an NPR talk station, plus an NPR music station (the NPR music station is how I got tickets to see Jim James). Normally a phone would just spit out the directions via the built in speaker, but my head unit takes over the media output even when it's set to radio. :argh: Damnit Kenwood!

Still, the only way the sound would interrupt the radio is if the GPS unit played it as a phone call (Amazon Flex's built-in navigation does this, even when muted, and it drove me nuts when I drove for them regularly). If it's playing it over the media output (which it should be doing), then the radio will ignore it unless it's currently on the bluetooth input. So Dagen H, I think we'd be back at square one unless that Garmin can be configured to play as a phone call.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 1, 2019

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

STR posted:

I do - there's a good independent radio station here (KOOP), plus an NPR talk station, plus an NPR music station (the NPR music station is how I got tickets to see Jim James). Normally a phone would just spit out the directions via the built in speaker, but my head unit takes over the media output even when it's set to radio. :argh: Damnit Kenwood!

Still, the only way the sound would interrupt the radio is if the GPS unit played it as a phone call (Amazon Flex's built-in navigation does this, even when muted, and it drove me nuts when I drove for them regularly). If it's playing it over the media output (which it should be doing), then the radio will ignore it unless it's currently on the bluetooth input. So Dagen H, I think we'd be back at square one unless that Garmin can be configured to play as a phone call.

I just use online radio streams, spotify or audiobooks in my car now.

On an iphone if you have one of the above playing and then use google maps in the foreground google maps will mute the audio and talk its directions over it when the phone is plugged in via an ipod connection, aux or bluetooth.
I'm sure ive seen the same happen on android phones?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Tomarse posted:

:words:

She's got SiriusXM satellite radio.
No iPhone, I'm also looking toward retrofitting Android Auto.
All other points taken, thanks :)

Your points considered as well, STR.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 1, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The gently caress are we still doing in this thread? Someone start a new one, I had my turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

alright

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905347