Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshCutFries

gently caress it. let's just do this. dwarf fortress games rule and if you weren't around for the last one a couple years ago you can skim it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801661

the game is obtuse as hell, but it's worth it to learn. all skill levels are welcome. if you want to do a year of a bumbling mess, go for it. that's what makes things fun!

i'll wait to get things started until we have at least a few players.

To Be Dwarfed:

FreshCutFries fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

here's the direct link to the version of the game i'm going to be using for windows people:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=7622&f=PeridexisErrant%27s+Starter+Pack+0.44.12-r08.zip

that's a pack that allows some easy customization of the base game. i'm leaving everything under "gameplay options" on their defaults, so you will have to do that as well. feel free to play with any other options. if you need help finding another os version of it, let me know.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
the last thread was amazing to watch so i can't thank you enough for starting this one. loved when mr. willsauce inadvertently destroyed everything (please come back willsauce...)

:f5:

Korean Boomhauer
im v mediocre at the game but i want in

FreshCutFries

i started generating a world when i made this thread. i set all the options to "very high" out of curiosity and it's still going lol.

FreshCutFries

Luvcow posted:

the last thread was amazing to watch so i can't thank you enough for starting this one. loved when mr. willsauce inadvertently destroyed everything (please come back willsauce...)

:f5:

his first year was my favorite part of the thread

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I will do it, but I guarantee all the dwarves will die in a festering, haunted ruin. But only because that's what happens every time I play dwarf fortress

vanisher

I will also do it

Heather Papps

hello friend

if i were not going to the forest for a week i'd be in so hard this thread better still be up when i intermittently check byob from the library or my grammas house

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i... i will fort dwarves

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
forgot about that old thread, good read
e:

quote:

I realized why all these dwarves keep drowning. I assign them jobs constructing my glorious new road, and they assign themselves the nearest stone to do the job with. Most of these stones are deep in the flooded fortress, but the dwarves aren't deterred by that. They just dive down through the tunnels, grab a boulder, and then realize they can't get out in time. Most of them don't even stop hauling the huge boulder as they flounder around for air. There's no air down there. classicist just died doing the same thing. He didn't let his inability to swim or his mangled foot deter him. These dwarves are too good for me. Too good for this world. so loyal and hardworking, but so loving dumb
memories :allears:
e:
oh jesus the poet genocide

quote:

It had to be done. The game was approaching unplayable FPS

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 3, 2019

FreshCutFries

Heather Papps posted:

if i were not going to the forest for a week i'd be in so hard this thread better still be up when i intermittently check byob from the library or my grammas house

tbh, i'd be surprised if we hit your turn before a week, if you're interested in playing. these threads are marathons.

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
I may like to join is that ok?

Piso Mojado

Hell yeah! I don't want to play but the last DF thread was awesome.

Piso Mojado

quite literally the proudest moment of my posting life is me defeating the dragon with a loving hammer

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801661&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10

Who What Now

by Azathoth
I only lurk in BYOB but I would like for be a dorf please and thank you

Piso Mojado

BYOB 8.2:

quote:

we've tried everything. just keep murdering them i guess

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Piso Mojado posted:

quite literally the proudest moment of my posting life is me defeating the dragon with a loving hammer

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801661&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=10

thanks for the link. just reading that page alone got me excited for a new thread.

FreshCutFries

I was going to work on this tonight but life is getting in the way. we have more than enough interest so I'll try to get things started as soon as I can

death sext

i don't want to play i just want to be a dwarf that maybe stands behind a pillar and quietly watches the goings on. Like whatever's going on in the game just know im somewhere just out of frame. watching

Fingers crossed for ill dragon content

Stoner Sloth

oh my good goodness! i haven't played this game in years, please sign me up friendo!

e: actually I didn't read the OP properly, probably best just to sign me up for a generic dwarf for now - life is being too crazy at me

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 5, 2019

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

death sext

unfortunately I am afflicted with what doctors call "the big dumb" so if anyone has hints tips and tricks about DF that would be cool

since it looks like we have a good list of players I don't feel too guilty about not volunteering, but maybe if I learn a little by the time there's no one left I could give it a shot

vanisher

I'll try to explain the graphics stuff again like last time when I'm up

death sext

thamk u

Nosfereefer

big difference from last time is that tantrum spirals are back with vengeance, so should be interesting!

FreshCutFries

Nosfereefer posted:

big difference from last time is that tantrum spirals are back with vengeance, so should be interesting!

I'm extra excited now.

It's also nice that we have an established version this time so dfhack, dwarf therapist, etc. are actually usable. Managing even midsized forts without dwarf therapist suuuuucks

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I'm serious, though, I love this game with my whole heart, but I an so bad at it that I'm afraid I'll run the whole thing

FreshCutFries

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I'm serious, though, I love this game with my whole heart, but I an so bad at it that I'm afraid I'll run the whole thing

then all we be according to plan :twisted:

Nosfereefer

the best parts of the last thread was people loving up badly

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Nosfereefer posted:

the best parts of the last thread was people loving up badly

nut

i dunno how to play do we play together i can do it bad if u want

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
Hell same

death sext

nut, GJG, and I can play together and fight over the keyboard. my mom says we can use the rumpus room

nut

death sext posted:

nut, GJG, and I can play together and fight over the keyboard. my mom says we can use the rumpus room

i get tilde to esc

vanisher

more like grumpus room

death sext

pls build dwarf grumpus room

vanisher

I will make a grumpus room

super mario batali

Dice-a the Mushroom
So is this game multiplayer ?

nut

i haven't done anything but i htink i might be int he game i'm eating a sandwich does the game have sandwich if so im in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

I know absolutely nothing about this game but so many people seem excited so I am excited to follow along and watch I guess? I can't make heads or tails from the screenshots from the page linked earlier though.