Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did you just use a pressure washer on your garage floor to clean up spilled water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey man. It's a great broom!
There was oil and dirt too there guy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nothing forces a garage cleanout like an impending water heater replacement.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I went through this last year, lol. Luckily it was just the seal on the inlet this time.

God drat this google pixel sucks for video. Can't do 24fps and 30fps doesn't seem to lock in well with Sony Vegas, i need to look at the FPS, looks like some pulldown is happening somewhere. I guess I could do 60fps but whatever maaaaannnn. Or I could be a real rear end in a top hat and pull out my camera body.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Hey Aeka, just stopping by to say "long time, no see." Maybe you've been posting non-stop but it seems like you're one of the oldest posters here that I can remember that just started posting again.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Sup mang, it's just been a while since I basically did jack poo poo with cars after kids. Just kink of getting back into it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Nothing like the sound of crushing defeat when you think you're cool enough to offload the entire headlight system between the new Eaton fuse block and PDM and you push your chair back after 30 mins and go "gently caress YOUUUUU!"

So the PDM cannot drive a ground output, and the Eaton block has all of the 85 pins on the relays tied together. This loving doesn't work when you need total control of each pin of a relay and have to power trigger instead of ground trigger a relay, and also ground trigger another in the same system. gently caress YOU I HAVE TO RUN TWO EXTERNAL RELAYS OUTSIDE OF CLOSE TO $2000 dollars worth of poo poo that should have done it.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 19, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It sounds like you could do what you need with mosfets or less than two relays anyway. When you say ground trigger, you mean the line is pulled up with a resistor (likely inside whatever is receiving the signal) and then device needs to pull that to ground? Could you make a little sketch of the connections?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

So after looking at it i realize i can still use the PDM.

The drawing above has the PDM and Eaton Fuse/Relay box in place but I cannot do what I want with the Eaton setup. Pin 30 cannot be attached to the retractor switch as that is built directly to battery power instead. Pin 85 cannot be tied to the PDM headlight power as all eight relays in the box have pin 85 tied together, they are assuming that it is only used for key on ignition.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Idea 1: Could you modify the relay box to have that relay not be tied in with the other seven? I accidentally ran into littelfuse's fuse/relay box website the other day and they looked like they were configurable on the back. Or maybe you can just clip it and rewire it. If it's on the back no-one will see.

Idea 2: Could you isolate that one pin of the socket and run a wire to the pin directly? You might be able to put something in between the box and relay (like another socket? I'm not sure what/if anything is actually available), and bend a pin 90 degrees so it doesn't connect below buy you can connect to the side. I've done that with DIP ICs- and IC sockets. That doesn't feel like a super rugged approach though.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, so I was able to open the box. Thanks for the suggestion. Video to follow.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
PS. Working on that while drinking was not fun.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Sup mang, it's just been a while since I basically did jack poo poo with cars after kids. Just kink of getting back into it.

Sad fist bump. My kid is almost 2. I sold my Miata and drive a Camry hybrid now. I figure I'll get back into cars more when he shows interest.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, wait till the kid is about 7 or so, then maybe.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Waiting for epoxy to dry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It never quite occurred to me that those PDMs are literally just a matrix of relays. I always assumed they were some kind of fancy fets with a beefy bus switch.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
That's not the PDM, the PDM I have is solid state. This is just a relay box

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRp9vOqy-L8

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh hey, another rotary thread. Following even if it's a lot different than what I do. ;)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That wiring diagram is almost worse than the rats nest of real wires. Somehow cars have the most ridiculously hard to follow schematics. How can you make a car's wiring harder to understand than a computer motherboard?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I did not expect the layer reveal. Pro fix job :black101:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Box is back together. Just going to cross my fingers haha.

Yeah the wire diagram is 130 pages cover to cover.

One thing that was always odd is they ran the fuel pump at two speeds. Which meant two relays and a resistor pack. Surprise! it caused problems.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 22, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Aeka 2.0 posted:

One thing that was always odd is they ran the fuel pump at two speeds.

"Boy, That's A Lot Of Fuel" and "Eat poo poo, Exxon Valdez?"

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Boiling your fuel is an issue on return systems, especially when you're trying to prevent lean conditions on a turbo rotary.

Like many ideas Mazda had, good in theory.

Rock on fellow RADL member and if you need any JDM parts that have already made it to Canada and want to take advantage of the exchange rate, I can ship you anything you find up here.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcZ0E87fk38

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

McTinkerson posted:

Boiling your fuel is an issue on return systems, especially when you're trying to prevent lean conditions on a turbo rotary.

Like many ideas Mazda had, good in theory.

Rock on fellow RADL member and if you need any JDM parts that have already made it to Canada and want to take advantage of the exchange rate, I can ship you anything you find up here.

Thanks buddy.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5EpkKT_O5U

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Yeah, wait till the kid is about 7 or so, then maybe.

Why wait?

:)

Good content by the way. I'm getting that Aeka experience without having to make a 4 hour drive or get on a plane.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Why wait?

:)

Good content by the way. I'm getting that Aeka experience without having to make a 4 hour drive or get on a plane.

Well I guess the next video will feature Carl's Jr AND beer.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Not a whole lot lately, so heres a mini dump of just the ongoing wire mess.

I mean...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Galaxy brain combination right there. What’s the calorie count?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

gotta be less calories than there are wires

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Is "all" a calorie count?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Installed this thing

BUT I CANNOT GET THIS AIM DASH TO READ THE AEM ECU DATA EVEN THOUGH THERE IS AN IDIOT PROOF TEMPLATE.

HALP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZ7t6TMpTA

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsLv4Igbjp8

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
That... was a lot of work. Did it really just boil down to mislabeled or mispinned wiring?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

extreme_accordion posted:

That... was a lot of work. Did it really just boil down to mislabeled or mispinned wiring?

yup. I kept double checking the print over and over not thinking that it could be possibly backwards. Every now and then you get an asskicker when the simple answer is in front of your face.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Gotta love a manufacturer gently caress up. Just RC decay on those signals, too.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

sharkytm posted:

Gotta love a manufacturer gently caress up. Just RC decay on those signals, too.

I may need some schooling on this subject as I'm new ish to signals. Been wiring forever and just recently getting into the nuts and bolts of board level type poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Capture some signals on your scope and head over to the learning electronics megathread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977