Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Star Trek: Timelines is a Star Trek-themed gacha game for phones, Facebook and Steam. It boasts, as of this post, 800 crew to recruit, 57 ships to pilot, gazillions of crap to find, and a whole lot of, uh, more or less videogamey things to do.

So why should I play this?

To be honest, you shouldn't really. Even by gacha game standards, it has very little gameplay, and is very much just about collecting your favorite PNGs from the Star Trek universe. In a way, it's a pretty honest game - It doesn't stack mechanics upon mechanics to obfuscate its reliance on gambling, it really is just a skinner box/collecting minigame.

How much you will enjoy this relies a lot on how much you enjoy Star Trek and its giant pile of nonsense. Does the prospect of using Morn as a diplomat make you chuckle? Do you want to read in the space diary of mutant Barclay? Would you get some kind of amusement out of collecting Star Trek All-Stars such as the almighty trombone player Riker, naked Dr. Phlox or the legendary Lizard Janeway (kids included)? If yes, then give this a shot. If not, then yeah probably steer clear.

The Riker Carpet is a serious argument, though.

Okay, I like Star Trek and am bored enough to try this, what now?

First off, whenever you need help, refer to the extra tools/guides in the second post! The game tosses a pile of words and red herrings at you, and not everything that glitters is actually worth your time. Doublecheck stuff whenever you are unsure (and if you are new, check even if you are sure).

It's totally fine to pick crew you find amusing/cool! Having fun is the most important part. But it's good to know which units are real stars, so you got some stuff to carry you through the game as you expand your crew. Once you got a decent stable of heavy hitters, it's easier to build up those Horta Moms and Gul Madreds you love so much.

When you start playing, make a Disruptor Beam account! It enables crossplay between all platforms and lets you use some of the player-made tools.

Follow what little tutorial there is and collect your first crew members. Don't be led astray by the amount of buttons the game tosses in your face immediately, the lovely "offers" included (they are almost never worth it, even if you are inclined to spend money on PNGs).

The gameplay, such as it is, mainly collects of multiple choice paths with skill checks. Your crew members have different skills, up to 3, as well as traits that can potentially boost their stats. If your crew member is good enough to pass a check, you get through. If not, you don't. As the missions progress, you need higher skill numbers to win. Missions drop items that you need to upgrade your crew members. The general loop is that you upgrade your dudes, progress through episodes, then upgrade your dudes some more, etc.

Once your account is level 10, you should look at joining fleets. It doesn't matter which you join, just find one that's active and has a high level starbase, the higher the better. Playing a bit every day awards you extra rewards from your fleet, and the starbase buffs your crew stats a bit.

What the heck is a "Behold"?/Why is the game giving me the option to choose from 3 different crew members sometimes?

Once in a while when you pull for crew members, you receive what's called a "Behold" - A choice of 3 different crew members on the same rarity level. Beholds can occur for either Super Rare (4 star) or Legendary (5 star) crew. Getting a Behold is usually the best thing that can happen since you can pick your favorite and not be saddled with a bench warmer. To know what's good, for the love of god, use DataCore's Behold bot!

No joke: If you see Amelia Earhart, pick her immediately.

How do I get more and better crew/stuff?

Timelines employs the usual F2P gacha stuff such as limited stamina (Chronitons) and whatnot, but at least it has a few options to get things, not all of which cost you oodles of stamina.

Things you can do that reward useful things:

- Scans - The most basic of things. A few times per day, you can push the Scan button and get a random item.
- Missions - Completing missions awards you items to upgrade your crew and sometimes even crew members. Once you've beaten a mission well enough (as in, got critical successes on every check with a star on it), you can spend Chronitons to automatically complete the mission to just get the loot.
- Cadet Challenge - Every day, you get a few shots at Riker's special Cadet Challenges. Monday to Friday, these can only be completed by Common (1 star) and Uncommon (2 star) crew members. Saturday and Sunday are for Rare (3 star) crew members. As a result, building a stable of strong cheapos pays off - Especially if they are :females:
- Voyages - You can send a handful of your crew members away on an exploration mission for a few real life hours, the length they can hold out for dependent on the strength of your ship and the crew. Voyages reward crew members, equipment, training charges and cash.
- Campaign - The campaign is a typical monthly battlepass thing. You get progress on it by doing Daily Missions. Even just doing some will get you some extra goodies from the missions themselves and the campaign.
- Dabo Wheel - For a small amount of cash, you get a daily spin on the dabo wheel. Can reward items, ship bits or even crew members. Do not bother paying for more spins; not worth it in the slightest.
- Arena - Very basic PvP type deal. Rewards a pittance of ship parts every day. Useful to fill the daily for space battles, though, since it doesn't cost Chronitons to play.
- Shuttle/Faction Missions - You can use something called Transmissions to send crew members on missions for factions. Some items can only be gotten this way. The duration and difficulty of shuttle missions increases as you progress, so sometimes it can be worth failing them on purpose to make them easier again. You can get more Transmissions from the factions' respective shops for Merits, a currency that isn't useful for much else anyway.

Hot tip: Never have more than 1000 different items in total. This game randomly deletes surplus items if you do! Break garbage down in the Replicator or donate it to your fleet's Starbase if you are close!!

Don't ask me why it can't just tell you you are maxed out. It will take a while to fill up on items, so don't sweat about this when you start out, just keep it in mind. You can check your Inventory in the menu.

What are these events the game keeps pushing in my face?

Events come in different types, listed here on the wiki. Generally, even if you are very new/have only weak crew, participating even a bit is worth it. If you are in a fleet, this is doubly true, since even just doing one step in the event will give you access to the Community Reward as unlocked by the entirety of your fleet. As you progress through the game, you can look at participating more intensely if you so choose and looking out for crew members that give you bonuses. For beginners, I recommend avoiding participating heavily in Galaxy, Supply and Expedition events, since they require a pretty intense Chroniton/item investment to get you far up. As said, however, participating casually in any event is already worth it.

Also, there is some degree of educated guessing for events, since the game likes to feature crew based on new shows or popular archetypes/episodes. Not always, but there's a tendency. When the rating of a unit talks about event features/potential, that's what they're referring to.

He's dancing because his upcoming show likely means a bunch of Picard events.

Ritznit fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
TL;DR Newbie Advice

There is absolutely zero need to spend real life money to enjoy this game, no matter what the offers tell you otherwise.

MED is the least common stat. If you are torn between solid crew members in a Behold/slot space but are seriously lacking in MED, pick MED.

The best crew to keep around for Cadet Challenges are Starfleet, Alien/Part-Alien and Female, all three of those. Keep this in mind for when space gets tight.

Almost all of the special offers, Dilithium packages and others, for real money or for dilithium, suuuuuck. Unless a sale is especially recommended in the thread (like the annual Christmas crew slot sale), don't be fooled, even if you like dropping money on gacha garbage. Not everything that glitters is gold.

Join an active Fleet with a high level Starbase at level 10. Seriously.

The first upgrades for Crew Slots only cost credits, not dilithium. Buy them.

If you absolutely want to spend dilithium, buy shuttle bays first. Getting to 3 or even 4 makes a huge difference, especially for shuttle-based events.

If you absolutely want to spend real life money, the extra track in the Campaign and the 30 day pass giving 100 dilithium every day are the best value. Anything else is only worth it if explicitly recommended in this thread.

Resources

This stuff makes the game vastly more playable and helps you find crew members actually worth investing into, and more. Absolutely use these.

Wiki - Has some useful info about game mechanics, but can be woefully incomplete on certain things. Good for a general look and unit images, though.

DataCore - Big database of crew info and player tools.
- Crew Stats - Library of all units in the game with specific numbers and tier rating. From my experience, very on point and useful.
- Big Book - Tier list of all 5 and 4 star units.
- Voyage Calculator - Based on information from your Disruptor Beam account, this handily calculates voyage stats and which crew member you should use where. Bonus: Also tells you which spare items you might want to consider mulching for Replicator fuel, if you are truly swimming in stuff.
- Behold Comparision - Lets you easily compare your three picks for a Behold. I use this all the drat time.

The Little Book Of Cadet Advice - Tier list of all 1, 2 and 3 star units.

Inofficial Reddit - Yeah yeah, it's Reddit, but they got some useful advice if you need any and the thread isn't being helpful. Also has always up to date posts about the current and upcoming events.

Glossary

Airlock - Fan term for dismissing crew members. Certain units will always be airlock fodder and should only be kept if you really love them and have more affection for them than sense.
Citation - Item that lets you add a star to a unit you already have. Getting your hands on Legendary/Super Rare Citations is a serious boon.
Center - A faction's shop.
Collections - Once you get to immortalizing crew members, collections become interesting. Most (not all!) crew members belong to at least one collection, and fill a spot there when they are immortalized. Certain collections (again, not all!) are worth pursuing since they give out stuff. Check them out here.
FF/FE - Fully Fused (all stars filled) and Fully Equipped (all items used and level 100 reached), respectively. When you have both, you can Immortalize that crew member.
Gauntlet - A game mode most heavily reliant on having the right "meta" units on your roster. Play it anyway, since you get pity rewards and achievement progress for just participating.
Honor - Currency you get for certain missions/tasks, fleet activity and from getting rid of crew members. Can be spent in the Honor Hall for special rewards. Don't spend this on anything other than Gold Trainers, Legendary/Super Rare Citations, or maybe Kahless if you are super duper sure you love the Gauntlet, and even then consider it carefully. Generally, Trainers and Citations are the way to go. Make it dependent on what you need to improve your roster and immortalize crew.
Immortalizing/Cryostasis - Once you have a unit on maximum stars and level 100, you can put them in what the game calls the Cryostasis Vault. There, a unit can chill (heh) until you need it and then be unthawed at will. Immortalized crew can be still be used in basically all parts of the game. If you are hurting for space, it can sometimes be worth beelining someone to Cryostasis to get them out of the way where they don't take up crew slots.
Merits - Currency you get for daily missions and achievements. Can be spent on a bunch of small stuff. I'd recommend using them to buy Transmissions in the Faction shops or, if you seriously got too many, on those 3 crew member pulls (NOT a Behold, sadly). Be warned, merit pulls have a very small chance of giving actually rare units, so they're mostly useful for filling your Cadet roster.
Replicating - Lets you create specific items from Replicator fuel. You get fuel from certain tasks, the campaign and from mulching spare items you don't need. Likely only useful once you've made some headway into the game and have accumulated a bunch of spare items.
Trait - Every crew member has a certain assortment of traits, visible when you click on the i-button in the crew member page. Traits have an assortment of functions, such as giving bonuses in places like Voyage, Gauntlet, Events and others, as well as unlocking certain nodes in some missions. Sometimes, it can be worth grabbing a crew member for a rare trait (Jury Rigger, for instance, is a bit notorious).
Riker's Angels - 1, 2 and 3 star Crew members that are Starfleet, Alien and Female. Called that because they fulfill all of the traits Riker can ask for in his Cadet Challenges, and thus are universally useful.
Transmissions - Item needed to start a Faction mission with a shuttle. You need both the transmission and a free shuttle bay to start the mission. The transmission is consumed when you pick the mission, but you then have several hours to actually start the mission, which is helpful if your best duders are still on a different mission/voyage.
VIP - Certain perks you get once you spent a certain amount of real life cash on the game. Just there to entice you to do that more, ignore it.
Warp - Once you have 3 stars on a mission, which means you got all possible critical successes once, you can hit a mission for Warp 1 or 10 and as a result automatically finish it once or ten times. Useful for item farming if you need stuff.

Ritznit fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 17, 2019

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Reserved for news and other garbage I can think of.

Ritznit fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 4, 2019

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hello I play this game and can attest to the poverty of gameplay but richness in Rikers. Do you remember Riker played trombone? I do, because I have a Jazz Musician Riker and you should too and because I've wasted my life rewatching a dumb old sci fi soap opera franchise

Also will leave on an important note: you don't really need to spend money to have fun in this game, spending money only shortens the time between fun things, but the time between fun things is the game. Pick up a monthly dilithium card if you want to get an easy 3rd and 4th shuttle bay (they're very helpful), otherwise you can just have fun without paying a cent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vaguely related, but nice avatar, I want to see a version that cycles through as many different team caps as possible.

To me one of the big thresholds in the game was actually being able to get a Voyage to last long enough to reach a Dilemma (2 hours, btw) which is also nice because you don't need to babysit it anymore, and allows you to complete all of the daily tasks. I ended up with just enough antimatter to reach it for a while.

I check back on the Dabo every now and again just for the opportunity of a free spin. (But make sure you buy the first spin with credits first!) Got my tier 2 and 3 ships that way. Don't be too fussy about which ship you want.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I have been playing this game for the past couple months but the novelty has started to wear off. I grinded enough to max out a k'vort bird of prey and the best characters for it for the arena and have made it to rank 1 in the commander division, but the only reward is inferior ship schematics for other divisions. I also refuse to spend a dime so I ran out of character slots pretty quickly. Not a bad game but not too much depth to it.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I have been playing this game for the past couple months but the novelty has started to wear off. I grinded enough to max out a k'vort bird of prey and the best characters for it for the arena and have made it to rank 1 in the commander division, but the only reward is inferior ship schematics for other divisions. I also refuse to spend a dime so I ran out of character slots pretty quickly. Not a bad game but not too much depth to it.

If it helps, Christmas is basically guaranteed to have a slot sale. How worthwhile that sale will be, I don't know yet, but vets say it's actually a good one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been playing this game pretty much since it came out and I’m totally maxed out at 210 characters, all super rare or legendary. Every now and then they’ll gift you five new slots during an event, but gently caress paying 700 (!) dilithium for it. It’s too bad this game doesn’t seem to have a currency exploit like the old Simpsons Tapped Out donut thing.

Nowadays I just delete some scrub like Commander Kelby whenever I have to make room for new Rikers.
:getin:

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been playing this game pretty much since it came out and I’m totally maxed out at 210 characters, all super rare or legendary. Every now and then they’ll gift you five new slots during an event, but gently caress paying 700 (!) dilithium for it. It’s too bad this game doesn’t seem to have a currency exploit like the old Simpsons Tapped Out donut thing.

Nowadays I just delete some scrub like Commander Kelby whenever I have to make room for new Rikers.
:getin:

If you only accept super rares and legendaries, that means no trombone Riker, how is that the real #RikerLife?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best part of the game is the mental image of what the minimaxed teams look like. Wheelchair Pike had my highest Diplomacy skill for a while, and I was just imagining him critting negotiations with Augmented supermen only by blinking yes and no.

One day I'll get Kahless and send him on a shuttle mission with Alexander and Will Scarlet Worf, and just imagine him shaking his head for three straight hours at how far his Empire has fallen.

Paying $4 for a month of 100 Dilithium/day probably is worth it to get the third shuttle after a week, right? Then once you have that, a fourth shuttle around the end of the month? I've only been playing for a couple of weeks so I'm not sure if this math actually works.

I somehow got a 5* Prakash from the Dabo wheel on my third day of playing and it just puts three stars in my pocket every time there's a space mission. I don't even have to use the crew/device buttons (and often don't have time for them to initialize).

Then I got a 5* HMS Bounty, through the wheel again IIRC, a few days later. If only the RNG worked so well for me in real life.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The only money I have spent on this game is one monthly card to get the shuttle bays. Just got my fourth shuttle bay using it, you're good to go.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Where the heck do you go to buy another shuttlecraft?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Foreskin Problems posted:

It's when you launch shuttles. If you've launched all the shuttles you can, the button turns in to buying a shuttle craft.

Not great design

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It wasn't obvious. IIRC, when your shuttles are all out, start another transmission, and if you want to do this mission, the button you usually use to start the shuttle mission will be "add shuttlebay" with the dilithium cost given.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ritznit posted:

If you only accept super rares and legendaries, that means no trombone Riker, how is that the real #RikerLife?

Oh I have him, he’s just waiting in the cryostasis vault until someone requests Nightbird :smuggo:

Lately the events have been kinda mediocre but the month-long Q one they did a while back yielded some great goofy characters, like Data Q. The events in general have definitely gotten better in the last year, I just hate the ones that are ship battles only. I’ve got decent ships and I can complete the waves, it’s just such a slog. Every battle takes ages and there’s barely any skill to it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Real talk: trombone riker is great, he absolutely shreds ships in the arena

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My one complaint about this game is that I have Historical Footage Kim and Trading Card Kim and somehow neither of them have the Desperate trait.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I will also chime in to say that this game is a terrible time waste but it has a lot of pretty pictures for nerds. I was hooked (still no USD, space doubloons only) as soon as I got jazz riker and brought-his-own-rope neelix. I have obtained many potatoes, but have yet to see a a single miles. It's a fickle game, but sometimes gold.

A shocking amount of items require heroic amounts of blue shirts/purple dresses/booze to make, so get ready for every member of your favorite sci-fi series to be dressed like ru-paul on a really bad acid trip.

If there is a theistic god, they hate wesley and keiko because I have had to bin so many of them I don't even know.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Right now I have a level 6 out of 10 ISS Enterprise based solely on spinning the dabo wheel. It does pretty well in the admiral division and I've 3 starred every single space battle on epic at this point with it. Doesn't do too well on events where you have to do ship gauntlets. I still just focus on normal level for that and use my maxed K'vort or maxed Suurok class.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

ISS Enterprise is a ridiculously good ship for its stars and how easy it is to level

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Right now I have a level 6 out of 10 ISS Enterprise based solely on spinning the dabo wheel. It does pretty well in the admiral division and I've 3 starred every single space battle on epic at this point with it. Doesn't do too well on events where you have to do ship gauntlets. I still just focus on normal level for that and use my maxed K'vort or maxed Suurok class.

Ships are really crew dependent, but that’s a very good ship and it’s what I use for just about everything. I’ve got it crewed with Commander Kira, High Roller Sisko, Determined Janeway, and Mirror Picard and it can handle most of the epic event battles if you’re careful.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Erisian Automata posted:

I have obtained many potatoes, but have yet to see a a single miles.

Mirror "Smiley" O'Brien is really useful and just a Rare, so he's pretty obtainable. Hopefully he drops for you soon!

Funnily enough, basically all O'Briens range from very decent to great, none of them are potatoes at all.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How are you guys pulling these ships and 4-5 star crew without spending real money? I've got 1 5-star, 2 4-stars and a fair amount of 3-stars, but they're all stuck at level 10 with 1/5 stars and only a couple pieces of gear for them. Same with ships, I'm 150 schematics away from 4 different 5-star ships, but what I actually have is the default Constellation, and the inferior Maquis Raider.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Luck, time, and events mostly. Just keep up with the daily missions and it’ll keep giving you Merits and Honor which you can spend on better stuff or use to buy stuff in the Time Portal. The new Campaigns help a lot too. Run Voyages every day too, because after the 6-8 hour mark those dilemmas have a chance to drop Super Rare crew.

I’ve also been playing the game for 3 years so I’ve accrued a lot of poo poo. :shrug:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snow Cone Capone posted:

How are you guys pulling these ships and 4-5 star crew without spending real money? I've got 1 5-star, 2 4-stars and a fair amount of 3-stars, but they're all stuck at level 10 with 1/5 stars and only a couple pieces of gear for them. Same with ships, I'm 150 schematics away from 4 different 5-star ships, but what I actually have is the default Constellation, and the inferior Maquis Raider.

Gear: Just in case you missed this, and it's not totally obvious -- So to be able to advance another 10 levels you have to have all four pieces of gear equipped, right? For a missing piece of gear, you can tap on the blue play icon in that gear slot and it'll give you the choices to get or replicate. Click get, and it'll show you either the missions youve run that have the gear as a possible prize, or what components are needed to build that piece of gear with an "x/y" count of # owned/#number needed. The x/y will be yellow if you are 'short' but can build the missing components, or red if you need to run a mission to get the components. Click on a red component to pull up a list of missions you can run to get it, and if you've unlocked the mission in the campaign already you can jump to it straight from here.

(If this is unclear, and I may be forgetting a step, just try and click through unfilled gear slots & their components for more info; it's pretty intuitive once you know that's an option.)

But to make initial progress in the campaign, you'll probably have to use and level your 1*s and 2*s for a while, which is OK. I'm finally getting a decent crew together but I still have a level 70 1* Troi who until very recently did my dirty work in scenarios requiring both DIP/MED

You will get a decent starship soon. I got super-lucky with a 5* from the wheel in the first few days but all that let me do was get 3 stars from every campaign space battle and earn extra schematics in Worf's admiral division; you can still advance the campaign with the Stargazer as long as you are using your buttons correctly.

Finally, don't break anything but replicator rations down for replicating until you know what you're doing (you will need boosts for events and shuttles, even if you haven't yet), participate in events to pick up whatever you can get, ABS (always be shuttling), and make sure you're completing all daily missions (except dilemmas if you can't run 2 hour voyages yet). The gauntlet, Riker, and Worf games give you pity prizes at first but that's OK, you should be doing them anyway to get daily rewards for the latter two and occasionally you'll also find some low-level crew in the gauntlet you can beat for extra credits.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doubleposting because this is a separate question, but stepping up to 4 hour voyages: about what % of your antimatter should you have at the 2 hour mark to be able to continue to 4 with a good chance of success?

I know there are simulators that can give you precise odds or run Monte Carlo simulations but im just looking for a rule of thumb to know when I should start looking at those.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Doubleposting because this is a separate question, but stepping up to 4 hour voyages: about what % of your antimatter should you have at the 2 hour mark to be able to continue to 4 with a good chance of success?

I know there are simulators that can give you precise odds or run Monte Carlo simulations but im just looking for a rule of thumb to know when I should start looking at those.

Generally if you have less than 1,000 antimatter after a dilemma you should probably think about recalling the voyage, especially after the 4-hour mark because the difficulty starts to ramp up.

When I set a voyage I always try to max the bonus antimatter (+25 based on having a certain trait) first, even if it means using crew that aren’t quite as proficient in that given division slot. If you’re careful with the crew and bonus stuff you can actually end up gaining antimatter in the first two hours and that helps a ton with actually making it to the 4 and 6 hour marks.

Also, I know app notifications can get really tiresome, but allowing them for Timelines helps a lot for Voyages specifically because it’ll notify you when a voyage gets below 200 antimatter. Then you can recall it in time without losing whatever you’ve found.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 5, 2019

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

100% join a fleet, any fleet, as soon as possible.

At the bare minimum it will grant you more replicator uses a day (going from 1 to even just 2 per day is a 100% increase in feeding your guys hard to acquire items, a good enough fleet could have a max of 4 uses per day -- 4x as many hard to acquire items per day).

You'll get a ship good enough to beat literally every space battle mission in the game just from doing wheel spins enough times.

At the beginning you have very under levelled people and everything seems difficult. Once you start levelling and outfitting your guys, and completing and 3-starring any missions you can, it gets easier to get better guys and do better things. The name of the game is in 3-starring missions and figuring out how to get items to outfit your guys.

The cadet challenges are also very important to getting a boost. Monday/Wednesday/Friday gives you more chronitons and hard to acquire items. Tuesday gives you trainers and hard to acquire items. Thursday gives you shuttle boosts and hard to acquire items. Notice how the cadet challenges all get you hard to get items? Concentrate on getting far with those and it will be a lot easier to outfit and level up your crew.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Cadet Challenges are a really good thing to improve at, I can attest to it. At first they will seem insurmountable but a handful of good cheapos can already get you far quickly. Prioritizing them in terms of upgrading, especially any of "Riker's Angels", will help you a lot.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Don't feel like you have to bust rear end to keep up with whatever event stuff gets thrown at you or you'll get crippling FOMO and not have fun collecting your gay space communism PNGs.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I'm trying to make Tasha Yar my first refrigerated unit. It's rough going.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just downloaded it again after a few years, and if anyone here is the same go through your messages. I had 9250 chronitons and a half million credits in there.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

I'm trying to make Tasha Yar my first refrigerated unit. It's rough going.

I admire your dedication to the lore.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Just doing daily quests will get you 4-stars from the monthly Campaign, and I've gotten a number of them from the couple of Events that have happened just while playing recently. 5-stars are very much luck-based and you're basically expected to max them out using Honour purchases because the chances of getting the same one again outside of an event character are close to nil, let alone 4 of them. I got given a 5-star Sisko at some point for logging in, and earned another 5-star from an event.

I got a 5-star ship from a lucky spin on like my first week, which then cruised through the ship missions picking up a bunch of other ship schematics as well as giving a trickle from just having entered the Arena league for it. Even at 1/5 it's done all the missions in the game so I'm not too concerned about maximising it since the only bonus there is Arena which requires me to also compete with min-maxed crew for the prize of... more ship schematics for competing in Arena.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I realized I had several hundred holodeck training items; levelling my entire crew up to 10/20/30 where possible helps a good amount :v:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

5-star drops are very luck based. I got most of mine from super rare behold prizes from the regular events and monthly campaigns.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The recent month-long events have all had 5-star characters as part of the rewards, which is nice. The Determined Janeway they gave out isn’t the most interesting .png, but it’s got decent stats. Same with the current Klingon timekeeper guy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think the most gimmicky .png I have is either Beyond The Stars Armin Shimerman (Herbert Rosoff) or Hockey Kim

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think the most gimmicky .png I have is either Beyond The Stars Armin Shimerman (Herbert Rosoff) or Hockey Kim

On one of the often-referenced “do not airlock” lists IIRC Hockey Kim is the only “space him!” 3* card on the list — every other 3* card is useful in a Riker challenge or has an attribute required somewhere in the campaign.

OTOH if he’s been leveled and is doing missions for you that’s fine. I mentioned earlier that a1* Troi was vital for missions for most of my short tenure in the game, gets used all the time in Riker challenges, and still finds herself on voyages and shuttles a lot.

I have either a 2/3 or 3/3 Hockey Kim but can’t pull a changeling to save my life. As generous as the RNG was with ships I’ve not been lucky with crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think I was able to get the 6/10 ISS Enterprise and 4/10 HMS Bounty solely from spinning the dabo wheel everyday in a matter of months. I may have gotten some schematics some other way but I really don't recall it, and it would have been a miniscule amount. I also have a 4/10 D'Kora Krayton which seems to dominate the leaderboard of the Admiral Division as well as the 4/10 Prakesh.

I really want a Romulan Warbird, though, because that's my favorite ship and I rarely get those schematics.