Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Happy Spocktober everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad I had like 3k+ dilith saved so i could buy the cheap slots. 15 new slots is so nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

What's the advantage of two accounts?

I try not to brag but I have all the greys.

You play twice as much before you run out of chrons.

Also, I originally made a second account in order to own my fleet that had nobody but me in it, but which I'd upgraded a few bits of the station, because I was thinking of trying out some of those active fleets but didn't want my own fleet to disappear. But after like three days I realized it was nice to have a second account so I never hit that "welp can't play any more until more stuff comes in" stupid thing that all these types of games do to force you to come back to the game 12 times a day or whtaever.

And yeah I've been saving dilithium for months, for the next half off sale. Just added 30 slots to my main account and hardly know what to do with them! I hate hate hate to space a character I don't already have so I try to just keep all of them. It's nice to be able to roster all my five stars plus a bunch of immortalized 4 stars for events and voyages and stuff.

I've got all of the 1, and 2 star characters, all but one of the 3 stars, and about a third of the 4 stars immortalized. That's pretty much what I try to focus on in the game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder why there isn't a Delta Flyers collection. I just got a Delta Flyer Torres and I was surprised to find she's not in any collection.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trying to fit an entire voyage crew into a Federation fighter

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder how long until we get Lower Deck's characters in this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You never know, though I wouldn't count on it given we don't even have M'Ress, Giant Spock or Kid Spock yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You never know, though I wouldn't count on it given we don't even have M'Ress, Giant Spock or Kid Spock yet.

We just have Birb Person and Lt Three Arm from the animated series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

We just have Birb Person and Lt Three Arm from the animated series.

The grey Andorian dude is in there too, along with the weirdo alien who can split his torso into pieces.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And don't forget Kirk's good buddy Lucifer!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

this weekend is the first time I've gotten all 4 copies of the 4* crew by end of day thursday. I had 2k chrons saved and just popped open a supply kit and powered through in a couple hours

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I started this game 2 weeks ago. I really like it because, while I've seen ToS and Voyager many moons ago and TNG recently, I've still been learning a lot about the series. Got Voyager in the first week and ISS Enterprise-1701 in the second week. I really want the Enterprise-E, but uh...

That is not the Enterprise E that I remember.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Enterprise look can be really weird depending on the viewing angle, and that looks like an awkward one.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Enterprise look can be really weird depending on the viewing angle, and that looks like an awkward one.

Yeah I googled it and had the same reaction, was really set on it being slimmer.

I've been working on immortalizing my grays so I just don't have to worry about it, but now I'm at a point where the grays aren't clearing missions and I'm spending most my honor on trainers. Woops.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Don't worry too much about mission progression - I have like 300 characters immortalised and I still haven't finished all the missions. They will increasingly get gated not just behind skill levels but also traits, to the degree that some missions can only be completed by as few as four characters.

Make sure you do as many dailies as possible because it'll give you a lot more currency than you can grind up otherwise at this stage - spend all your Merit on pulls (don't spend dil) until you get a decent roster - a single-star green is generally better than a grey, and you'll have decent odds at a blue.

Check out the Cadet Challenges and prioritise crew who can complete those - they are a big source of additional items and resources in the long run. Don't be afraid to space greens and greys either because you will drown in them in the long run, and they will provide much needed honour until you get self-sufficient on trainers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, any green and gray, and in the long run blue, you space is going to show up again sooner or later.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also when you first start out, it's hard to complete even a 2-hour Voyage... until you find out how Voyages work. So definitely find out how Voyages work, I wasted many months of very poor Voyage performance before I finally looked it up and it was definitely not what I expected.

tl;dr, you add all the crew's total Proficiency numbers for each skill together and that's what's tested. Individual crew slots don't matter at all. Getting those +25 antimatter bonuses don't matter nearly as much as totaling up a higher number in the gold and silver skill slots, because a single failed hazard reduces the remaining antimatter total by 30. So you want to put together a set of crew that gets your totals in that gold and silver as high as possible, which allows you to pass the most possible hazards.

There's a voyage calculator here:https://codepen.io/somnivore/full/Nabyzw
The graphing function is broken, it'll never load the graph it says it'll draw, but the numbers part still works.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, any green and gray, and in the long run blue, you space is going to show up again sooner or later.

Heck, even some purples I keep getting and having to space. At this point I've got enough Orion Slavers on voyages to have immortalized, but I have to keep dumping them for room since I have no more space (and Slaver has no collection, and is the worst tier). I don't even notice grays/greens/blues anymore, they're just going to get dumped regardless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just immortalize every single 1, 2, and 3 star crew and then you don't even feel bad about instantly spacing them.

If you don't feel like doing that, still space any 1, 2, or 3 whenever you want, except for Mirror "Smiley" O'Brien and Commander Kang, who you need to crew your Level 7 Klingon K/Vort Bird-of-Prey if you ever want to get into the top ~20% of Commander division in Arena. (Just look at the leaderboard for Commander and you'll see every single top ship is that specific combo.)

Aaand there's a dozen or so 3* crew you need if you want to complete every level of Cadet Challenges, which you probably do want to do eventually. But they come up so often that if you haven't got roster space don't feel guilty about trashing them anyway.

Apropos of this discussion, the only thing you ever really need to do with your Dilithium, and definitely the thing to save it up for, is A) a third shuttle (maybe a fourth), and B) more crew slots. The more crew slots you have, the less frequently you have to make hard decisions about which 4* crew to keep. I'm now at a spot where I haven't had to space a 4* crew in about a year, because I manage to get new ones (that don't match one of the hundred+ 1, 2, and 3 out of 4* guys hanging around on my roster) at about the same speed as I immortalize the ones I have. And I've never spaced a 5* crew I didn't already have immortalized. For me that sweet spot is at around 245 crew slots on my main account, but I'm managing it with 190 on my phone account too. I do occasionally have to freeze someone that I kind of wanted rostered in order to make space for a new crew, but usually I immortalize someone pretty quick so I can get that guy back unfrozen. For events I cycle about 3-5 4* crew in and out of the freezer just to fit whatever attributes or specific named crew the event wants each week.

If you can save your dilithium for the occasional half-off crew slots sale, that's ideal, although those seem to happen only a couple times a year or so and we just had one. Maybe there will be another one at christmas or new years?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Also, if you haven't already done so grab the free blue sisko from changing your avatar. There's no way to get another copy so you'll need to spend honour to upgrade him, but I'd say it's worth it. He'll be your best character until you get more blues fully fused and will pull his weight in clearing missions and on voyages for quite some time.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
I already have an ISS enterprise that gets me to the 2 hour mark on voyages. I've been using everyone that gives an antimatter bonus. Was curious what the gold and silver stars are, is that the two stats most likely tested on the voyage? I have 5 immortalized, 3 grey's, a green, and a blue. Def need to look up the cadet challenges.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, skill checks will be the gold skill 35% of the time and silver skill 25%.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oyster posted:

I already have an ISS enterprise that gets me to the 2 hour mark on voyages. I've been using everyone that gives an antimatter bonus. Was curious what the gold and silver stars are, is that the two stats most likely tested on the voyage? I have 5 immortalized, 3 grey's, a green, and a blue. Def need to look up the cadet challenges.

Yes, gold will be tested on 35% of hazards and silver will be tested on another 25% of hazards; the other four skills will be tested on 10% of hazards each. So focus on getting both gold and silver up. It's good to have a baseline of decent scores in the other stats but don't worry if you have one or two "dump" stats.

A hazard happens every 80 seconds, so 45 hazards per hour. A single dump stat would be expected to cost you about 4.5 failed hazards per hour. Each failed hazard costs you 30 antimatter, while each successful hazard gains you 5; so that's about 135 lost AM per hour for each "dump" stat.

The difficulty of hazards steadily ramps up, eventually it's so difficult that you will fail every single hazard. But if you prioritize gold and silver, you'll hit a period where you're succeeding at 60% of your hazards and failing 40%, resulting in a loss of about 540AM for the failed ones and a gain of about 135AM for the successful ones, or a net delta of -405AM per hour. Pumping up a third or fourth stat to a high point doesn't shift that math very far, but if you can have a higher baseline for all the other stats that definitely pushes the point where you start losing 400 per hour out a bit.

You can see from this that a +25 antimatter boost only extends your voyage by something under 80 seconds once you reach the point where all of your hazard tests are failing, which is usually what happens at the end of your voyage. If you're still in that gold-and-silver-are-OK zone, then you might get another three minutes out of it?

So it's never worth it to chase a +25 antimatter boost at the expense of significantly higher numbers in a gold or silver stat, and often not worth it at the expense of a higher number in one of the 10% stats. What I do is go through every slot looking for any cases where I'd get a boost from the top one or two characters I'd be putting in that slot, and assign those guys first. So, if say MED and SCI are my gold and silver, I'll go through every slot, tapping first MED and the SCI to see if anyone with the best MED/SCI values in that slot would also be a boost - basically, I want that crew in that slot, rather than that crew in a different slot where I'd miss out on the boost. Then, I go back through the remaining unfilled slots and only put in the top crew for each of those slots, ignoring lower crew regardless of whether they'd get an attribute boost.

I've been playing a long time so I generally wind up with around 10,000 in gold and silver, and then around 2000-3000 in the other slots, often with one attribute at more like 4000 or so. This is good enough to always get to 6 hours, and sometimes get to 8 hours, without running out of AM (I'm usually running a 2500AM ship, often with a +150AM ship boost attribute, and typically around another 50-150 in crew AM boosts). Occasionally I've managed a 10-hour voyage without using an extender, although that is rare.

e. also note if you're doing antimatter math:
A new normal activity (consuming 1 AM) will occur every 20s with the expiration and reset of the quick timer. This means there are three activities per minute or 180 per hour. That's -180AM per hour that is unavoidable.

Every 140 seconds, a normal activity will grant a reward (every seventh activity). If you're actively watching your voyage, and you've just dropped below 30 AM from a failed hazard, you need to recall that voyage within 80 seconds; don't try to wait for the next normal activity reward before you recall. In theory you can wait through three more normal activites (60 seconds) because they'll each cost you -1AM, so maybe one of those three will be a reward activity, but the rewards are so paltry that it's not worth trying to time it this fine. Just, any time you see a voyage at or below 30AM, immediately recall it.

You can use this math if you're like 10m away from a 2-hour dilemma and want to calculate whether you'll make it, assuming you fail every hazard, though! It works out to around -18AM from activities and -225AM from failed hazards per ten minutes, for a total drop of about 243AM per ten minutes of all-failure voyaging. I round that up to 250 as a rule of thumb. Useful when I'm not sitting there staring at my phone for ages, I can see that my voyage is closing in on the end and roughly estimate if it's gonna make it to the next dilemma or not.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 13, 2020

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

This is all extremely helpful. I did read that article linked earlier that explained the antimatter losses and such, but having the rule of thumb is very nice. I've been a few times in the position of staring at my phone wondering if I was going to make the dilemma. I'm just now reliably getting med (and only med) over 1,000 per voyage. On the ISS enterprise or a borg cube that'll get me a dilemma, after which I usually recall just so I don't have to keep track. But, knowing all that, I could probably calculate when to set an alarm for to have it recalled. Push notifications are garbage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also this is helpful for knowing who's worth keeping and who's worth airlocking
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CYR5jnqtacbQM9MIsXp6ATs84Q3rbRM3SmKmUtBvlJ0/edit#gid=329681894

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Holy poo poo. Took the advice to pack the gold and silver stats, just passed the 2 hour dilemma with more than 1,000 remaining AM. Never passed it with more than 200 before. That is seriously a pro tip.

What also helped was blowing all my credits and merits on pulls. Got enough characters (including a gaia odo and nurse kes) to actually start completing things. I think my hesitancy to use any of those resources really got in my way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have so many boosts unopened. I barely ever use them, other than the supply packs. Even then I have like 60.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Is there a way to find duplicates that's not sorting by alphabetical and scrolling through to spot matching pngs? I've ended up with so many duplicates I've missed some and fused them to have two 2 stars of 5 different crew. Would like a better way to find who needs to get thrown out the airlock.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nope!

There are several lovely interface decisions in STT and this is one of them. It's also impossible to search for a named item in your Inventory.

I periodically switch to alpha sort and scroll through all my crew specifically to find duplicates. These days it doesn't happen as often on my main account because I trash all 1, 2, and 3-star crew as soon as I get them (because I have them all immortaliazed), and 4-star crew come in infrequently enough that I tend to just search on their name in my freezer each time I get one to see if I've already immortalize them or if I have one in my live crew list that I'd want to fuse.

But that's not the case for my second account on my phone and I still occasionally discover I've got two copies of someone rostered.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If you have a full crew then it will label the excess ones with (fusible) if you can add it a crew or (duplicate) if you have the crew at full stars.

This feature helpfully doesn't work if the crew in question is already frozen, they have to be in the active crew list. The default sorting should also pop crew that can be fused to near the top of the list - it goes (favorite that can have item/fuse) (can have item/fuse) (favorites) (crew) (extras)

At least when you space those half fused monstrosities you'll get full honour credit for the stars.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Ghostlight posted:

If you have a full crew then it will label the excess ones with (fusible) if you can add it a crew or (duplicate) if you have the crew at full stars.

This feature helpfully doesn't work if the crew in question is already frozen, they have to be in the active crew list. The default sorting should also pop crew that can be fused to near the top of the list - it goes (favorite that can have item/fuse) (can have item/fuse) (favorites) (crew) (extras)

At least when you space those half fused monstrosities you'll get full honour credit for the stars.

I saw that happen when I went over limit on crew, which prompted me to ask how to do that normally. Incredibly stupid that it can't.

Didn't know there was a favorites button, that's very valuable to find the Gaia Odo, Nurse Kes, and Jazz Musician Riker I've been focusing on. Speaking of, are there any other specific call-outs I should be looking for to not get completely hung up on cadet missions?

It didn't seem like I was getting extra honor when I spaced the extra fused Away Team Neelix and Section 31 Reed, but I also don't have all the tiers memorized.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah - I always run a full crew for that exact reason. I often have a 'buffer' of crew that I intend to space as soon as something better comes up (although in the meantime if extras drop for them they might get 'promoted' out of the shitstack)

Persis and Ensign Pazler are two more I can think of for cadet challenges.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
The default sort starts with character level, so something that might help is to increase the level of any characters you want to keep up to lvl 2 (or higher); that way anyone who can be infused pops to the top and anyone new lands at the bottom with the other lvl 1's, so you can find and boot them easily.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I make heavy use of leveling and favorites to get my roster sorted how I want it, yup.

Default sort, this is what I see on my main account:
1. Favorited crew + crew with open item slots that I have in inventory, which is usually also favorited crew, because I don't leave unfavorited crew with open item slots usually
2. Unfavorited crew, beginning with all immortalized crew, and then including a lot of 5* and a handful of 4* that I leveled to 100 despite not being fully fused
3. A whole bunch of 2/4 fused crew at level 3, both open item slots filled
4. A whole bunch of 1/4 crew at level 1, the one open item slot filled

And that's it, because I keep my crew roster completely full at all times. Trash 1, 2, and 3* crew that I accumulate mostly through voyages sit in the overflow - they'll be automatically trashed if you leave them there for over 7 days, but I generally flush them daily.

I exclusively favorite 3/4 and 4/4 super rares, and any legendaries that I haven't fully leveled. So that #1 category up at the top is almost always just crew that I am working on leveling. Within that list, I prioritize 4/4 crew, because I usually want to get them fully leveled & immortalized so I can get them off my roster as soon as possible. I want to go into weekend events able to grab a handful of immortalized super rares from the freezer who will fit whatever the event needs. And even above that priority, I want to never be forced to flush a super rare or legendary crew I haven't immortalized.

As a consequence of that last sentence, my categories 3 and 4 up there are a large proportion of my whole roster. I currently have 57 crew at 1/4, level 1. I go ahead and give them their one open item so they won't bubble up to the top ever. Similarly, I currently have 42 crew at 2/4, level 3, and with their two item slots filled (leveling to level 2 opens the second item slot). So that's about 100 out of my 245 crew slots filled with crew I keep at base level unequipped, e.g. not useful for anything. I do this purely because collecting crew is my main goal in the game.

Not leveling 1/4 and 2/4 crew keeps them sorted at the bottom with default sort, and it means I haven't spent any significant resources on any one crew that I might someday have to trash in order to make room on my roster. I generally have all of my 5/5-100 legendary crew rostered, it's rare that I consign one to the freezer, but I've occasionally done so for a little while if I had to make roster space. So far it's been probably a year or more since the last time I felt like I had to space a 1/4 super rare crew I hadn't immortalized.

This approach has let me immortalize 111 4* crew in something around three years of play. It means whenever I get a super-rare pull (or especially a behold), odds are good that I'm either trashing a duplicate (half the time), or fusing with someone on my roster (another probably third of the time), and then rarely I'm adding a new 1/4 I don't have to my roster only once every couple of weeks ish. I can keep up with that pace of immortalizing the 3/4 and 4/4 crew by leveling them up and occasionally paying honor for a super rare citation to complete a 3/4 lv 100 crew.

Someday I might get close to having all of the super rare crew. I don't think it's very likely to fully complete that collection, but once I have a large majority, I'll have fewer roster slots dedicated to incomplete crew and can afford to manage an ever-growing set of legendaries.

I'm sure lots of people manage their rosters differently, this is just how I do it!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 18, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, I pretty much have

1. Favourited crew above level 1, this is the ones I'm levelling/equipping as well as any waiting to be frozen because I had them out for an event or just finished them and freezing now would take me below the crew limit.
2. A favourited level 1 Mobile Doctor to ward off drops of Indignant Seven. He's also a handy bookmark.
3. Unfavourited crew with buildable items - this is my 'buffer' of crew that I don't really need because they're not good or part of a collection. They'll be spaced to make room if I have no favourites waiting to be frozen or get promoted if they're lucky and make 3/4 in the meantime.
4. The actual level 100 crew I use. There's also a Morn and a Sniper Reed hiding in here somewhere waiting for a fuse.
5. The other half of my roster which is just a pile of 1/4s or 2/4s at level 1 with the first item equipped so they only rise to the top when they can be fused. If they get to 3/4 they get promoted to the first category, although I had to dip into the 2/4s recently just to have something to keep spending chrons on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

2. A favourited level 1 Mobile Doctor to ward off drops of Indignant Seven.

Eh?

e. So, I know that you can fuse Indignant Seven and Mobile Doctor to create Indulgent Seven, but is there something that prevents them from dropping if you have a Mobile Doctor rostered?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 18, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can merge a 1/5 Mobile Doctor with 4/4 Indignant Seven to create a top-tier 1/5 Indulgent Seven.

Since I wasn't hurting for MED crew at the time he dropped for me, and he's the hardest part of the combo to get, I put him aside reasoning that I'll eventually get 4/4 Indignant and fuse them. That was like seven months ago and I'm still yet to see a single star.

e: no there's nothing that actually prevents them from dropping, it was just a joke about rng.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I went though the character guides I posted above and favorite all the 1 and 2 characters and spaced all the 10s and 9s that weren't part of my protected characters (Picards, siskos, sevens, worfs, daxs and Tilly's).

I need to do another once over because I'm full again and want to clear some space.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

twistedmentat posted:

I went though the character guides I posted above and favorite all the 1 and 2 characters and spaced all the 10s and 9s that weren't part of my protected characters (Picards, siskos, sevens, worfs, daxs and Tilly's).

I need to do another once over because I'm full again and want to clear some space.

does "1 and 2 characters" mean tier 1 and 2 according to that sheet? I browsed through it and yowza is it useful.

I started playing at the tail end of the last skirmish event and had no idea what I was doing. Now I can coast through Elite on Auto and get every bonus reward with my Voyager, Jazz Riker, Tourist Jadzia, and Science Office T'Pol. I can't win a single fight on Epic, even with my level 6 ISS Enterprise. Is this event just a matter of hitting the auto button on Elite until I'm out of intel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pretty much. If you can do Epic then it's exactly the same but with more points.

One trick is if at all possible put an event crew on your ship. The way the bonuses work is a ship bonus is more stats, which in theory will help you do higher difficulties but in reality just means you use the best 5 star you have regardless; while trait bonuses and crew bonuses increase the size of your reward at the end of fights but you only get the largest reward bonus you're eligible for, so if you slot a single event crew you can entirely ignore changing your crew around each fight to keep up a trait bonus.

Just empty out intel on auto - if you're lucky you'll get some chrons to empty out on regular space battles to earn more intel to empty out in the event.