Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is kind of weird system when I felt like they already kind of achieved letting people target crew more just by making the premium pull do beholds for everything above rare. That said, so far that's been one behold every event.

They 100% could have skipped the constellation part and just handed out the polestars and quantum. It's not like you can do anything with the constellations other than open them for polestars, and the hand-in is a time-gated resource anyway so just balance around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Now that it's live, I understand it a bit better; you use one kind of daily currency scan for constellations, which you use a different kind of currency to unlock and gives you random "polestars" which are the traits you use to narrow down the RNG for crew retrieval. It is hopelessly and needlessly complex and still doesn't provide a good system for getting the characters you want.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I still don’t understand it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

After you get some constellations, which the game is gonna give you some for free today (open the time portal and grab the freebies, plus do a scan), you have to open your Inventory. And then use the dropdown to switch to constellations. And then you can spend 1000 ISM to open a constellation, which gives you some polestars. And then you can go to the new Crew Retrieval area and basically the polestars act like filters.

Looks like if you apply filters such that it narrows down to one specific five-star crew, that's a five million credit buy. Costs go down from there, depending on whether there's lower rarity crew mixed in, and how many crew are showing up (so that it's a randomized determination of which you'll get).

If you pick legendary and then no other filters (so it's random among all 377 available 5* crew in the game) it's 3.75M, so that's the floor for the cost of a legendary crew, and functionally worse than opening a 45,000 honor legendary behold.

Narrowing down to two 5* crew is 4.95M credits, a 5* and two 4* is 2,286,668 credits... so you can see mixing in any 4*s drops the price a whole lot more.

That's... ehhh. I may have to start looking at how long it takes me to accumulate 5M credits (it's at least a few weeks), and how long it takes to get more 5* pole star items.

e. I think this system is more affordable if there's a specific skill combo you're looking for (like to finish a mission) and you don't care which crew you get that fulfills it. It's also obviously way more affordable to players who just want specific common, uncommon, or rare crew. I don't care about those because I've immortalized all of them on my main account, so I'm looking at hefty sums to get anything that isn't an instant airlock.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 10, 2021

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Some kind of duplicate protection would go a long way towards improving my enjoyment of the game and might even encourage me to spend real money again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Leperflesh posted:

It's also obviously way more affordable to players who just want specific common, uncommon, or rare crew. I don't care about those because I've immortalized all of them on my main account, so I'm looking at hefty sums to get anything that isn't an instant airlock.

This is where I’m at. I’ve got ~290 4* or 5* crew and a big chunk of them are already immortalized or fully fused waiting to be immortalized, so it’s either a crazy amount of credits or dil for me to use this thing and not end up with dupes or trash. But whatever, I got another Juliana Tainer out of the first freebie roll and I’ll just forget this mechanic exists until I bank a bunch of credits or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How fun that they graciously allowed us to burn all our excess credits on Dabo spins immediately before those credits became useful, lol.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Thanks, Idk why but this is making my eyes glaze over. I’ll try to figure it out.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Ok what’s the deal with the new fleet daily missions though?

e: I also really hope they give us a slot sale/honor sale soon. My inventory has been full forever and I've just been maxing out 4-stars whenever I can and freezing them, even ones that are still useful. I caved a month or two back and bought 5, but I have 7000 dil saved up that I really only want to spend during a sale. Also 250,000 honor.

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 10, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Delthalaz posted:

Ok what’s the deal with the new fleet daily missions though?

You get one of the new currencies each day based on how many fleet members complete all the daily missions. Same as shuttles, regular missions, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yup pretty much just another punishment for those of us with half-full, newbie-friendly fleets
but that's hardly unique to this game, pretty much

I got a third copy of data Q, which is letting me finish him immediately, so that's cool with Q events happening

e. 19 members of my fleet have been active so far today. Minimum to get any ISM is 20 members complete all their daily missions. I think it's unlikely we'll ever hit that mark, unless we add at least like ten more members to the fleet.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 11, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Apparently it takes ~18 days for Quantum to fully replenish without spending dil, which is uhhh

Guess I’m only using this about once a month.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think it's overcomplicated, or at least difficult to understand, it's just explained really poorly.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Yeah, it's not as messy in practice as it looks written down.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cool, there was a daily giveaway with some of the swirly galaxy coins, the blue crystal thing, and some credits, as part of the new polestar-constellation-retrieval-whatever feature. Limit 1 per person per day, but you could keep hitting the button over and over again with no consequence, I racked up like 50k of the swirly galaxy coins. Hope I don't get banned.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My biggest issue is that I have no idea how I can use this new stuff to get stars and gearing up all the characters I have. I don't need new characters, I need to immortalize and freeze who I have, as they seem to have just stopped doing sales on crew slots.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Cool, there was a daily giveaway with some of the swirly galaxy coins, the blue crystal thing, and some credits, as part of the new polestar-constellation-retrieval-whatever feature. Limit 1 per person per day, but you could keep hitting the button over and over again with no consequence, I racked up like 50k of the swirly galaxy coins. Hope I don't get banned.

lol that definitely disappeared as soon as I clicked once, you just exploited a bug good job

twistedmentat posted:

My biggest issue is that I have no idea how I can use this new stuff to get stars and gearing up all the characters I have. I don't need new characters, I need to immortalize and freeze who I have, as they seem to have just stopped doing sales on crew slots.

well you can get additional copies of a crew you already have, by using a combination of traits to isolate that specific crew and then spending a hojillion credits to get them.

But honestly that is only a good strategy if you've got lots of credits but are short on honor. Spending honor for citations might be the better approach, if you can afford the honor.

To turn blue crystals into little trait tokens, you have to open your Inventory, then use the dropdown to select Constellations, then tap a constellation and open it. It'll turn into Polestars, and those are the little token guys that you use in Crew Retreival to filter down to a shortlist or a specific crew. Then you click Retrieve and spend a fuckton of credits to get one of the crew you've narrowed it down to.

I agree this isn't as complicated in the UI as they made it sound with their description; but I do think it's still needlessly complicated. It's a lot of subsystems and UI changes to accommodate a single new game feature.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 11, 2021

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
It looks like it's more there to supplement the current citation system rather then be an alternate. Instead of just slowly grinding up honour, we can now slowly grind up isk, constellations and whatever the other stuff is as well. Obviously is not going to win any awards for elegance, but if it works out as one or two extra cards a month of our own choice, I can't complain too much. Especially as there is no extra daily legwork.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Leperflesh posted:

But honestly that is only a good strategy if you've got lots of credits but are short on honor. Spending honor for citations might be the better approach, if you can afford the honor.
so like, all the time?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I just immortalized Tribunal Pike. My partner and I have been revisiting TOS, so I showed her the immortalize screen and told her that Pike never made it back to Talos IV and now I can freeze him.

She responded with "well, vegetables usually go in the freezer...."

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

it turns out the answer was yes, I would get banned 👀

thankfully only for 72 hours so I can't complain, but hey maybe next time don't let people click the button multiple times :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's actually nice to know that they'd notice that, but lol yeah maybe don't make it possible

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

it's actually nice to know that they'd notice that, but lol yeah maybe don't make it possible

it's a bit odd how quickly they acted and figured out who clicked the button more than once, calling it an exploit and a ToS violation, but there's major bugs that people run in to and have complained about for years that never get a response 🤔

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
They just gave everyone 19 packs. Did you happen to get 19 packs off it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Two people in my fleet got banned for it apparently, lmao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it says purchase limit 19 now, haha. gently caress it I'll click, IDGAF

e. oh they sent a message, "retrieval gift" is claimable 19 times, now through Feb 28th. That's... gonna be a shitload of these fuckin' things, which is a pretty nice giveaway, if only I had loads of free crew slots.

e2. drat that's 1.9M credits daily for 17 days = 32,300,000 credits!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 12, 2021

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Oyster posted:

They just gave everyone 19 packs. Did you happen to get 19 packs off it?

I'm pretty sure it was way more than 19 times, the 19 times is because apparently:

Leperflesh posted:

it says purchase limit 19 now, haha. gently caress it I'll click, IDGAF

e. oh they sent a message, "retrieval gift" is claimable 19 times, now through Feb 28th. That's... gonna be a shitload of these fuckin' things, which is a pretty nice giveaway, if only I had loads of free crew slots.

they can't do a daily limit? that's the word I got on the forums, so instead it's a limit of 19, and the suggestion is to do it once a day.

except the people on the forums who say it's not letting them even do it 19 times 🤔

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Best part is all the tag symbols. Changeling is Odo's bucket.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the changes are needlessly convoluted but i got a mademoiselle de neuf so I guess i'm all for it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like that the system interacts with tags and categories.

Also still fuckin lol that one of Prisoner O'Brien's items is Starfleet Weapons Locker.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK so I'm getting the impression that Retrieval Gift was a one-time thing, so 19 total claims, not 19 claims every day through Feb 28th.

Which I wish I'd realized before I threw 5M credits into a 5* retrieval.

Whatever, the latest message in the inbox with more poo poo is just funny, like, I haven't been over to their forums but you can tell people must be wailing over there about stuff. "OKok here's more free poo poo to do with this, please stop yelling" is the subtext.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leperflesh posted:

Whatever, the latest message in the inbox with more poo poo is just funny, like, I haven't been over to their forums but you can tell people must be wailing over there about stuff. "OKok here's more free poo poo to do with this, please stop yelling" is the subtext.

Yeah that part is pretty great. It should have been a gimme. Even if it's not super useful, once a month or so you have a pretty good chance of getting a useful card. But somehow things are on fire again. 'Here's a package to apologise for giving a free Data Q in the tutorial, you psychos.'

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

OK so I'm getting the impression that Retrieval Gift was a one-time thing, so 19 total claims, not 19 claims every day through Feb 28th.

Which I wish I'd realized before I threw 5M credits into a 5* retrieval.

The whole giving out 3 day bans (and calling people unscrupulous exploiters abusing the ToS) really seemed to rile people up. It was fun popping in to the forums over the last day or two to read people being extremely mad and saying how they'll never pay more money for this game because of it, people leaving negative google reviews, people saying they're successfully getting refunds on money they spent on the game, etc.

It seemed to work, I think some of the giveaways they're doing are a response to the negative community response to the bans. It's been a weird week.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
I really feel sorry for them. A normal customer service job dealing with the general public was bad enough. Imagine having to appease and be polite to insane entitled internet Star Trek fanatics for a living.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd be surprised if you didn't have similar things going on with every freemium game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been doing my pulls from retrieval and I can only seem to get new characters. All which get airlocked because i don't have any room to put them and none have been top tier yet. Yea I'm getting honour but it still seems wasteful.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 16, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That does.

I've done one pull from retrieval - Medicine + Jury Rigger - and I'm saving up the quantum for the same again since I have the polestars. It narrows down to only 3 characters, 1 4* that I have at 3/4, 5* Jet Reno who's tier 2 and I now have at 3/5, and a 5* McCoy that is decent but I don't really want to pull over the other two. I figure that's probably my best approach to it - waiting the two weeks or so to build up enough quantum to do a highly narrow search on a 5* I want that doesn't come with too much possible crap on the side. Datacore will give you which polestars you need for a 100% pull on any top tier.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Austen Tassletine posted:

I really feel sorry for them. A normal customer service job dealing with the general public was bad enough. Imagine having to appease and be polite to insane entitled internet Star Trek fanatics for a living.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd be surprised if you didn't have similar things going on with every freemium game.

I'm sure it is, and it's a bit of a monster of their own creation. They make the money off of the whales spending thousands of bucks to get virtual trading cards, who I'm sure build up entitlement and take it more seriously than someone should for virtual trading cards. It comes with the territory of what they're doing, which is just a bit short of exploiting people but isn't quite.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well, this sucks. Those equipment crates were one of the more useful rewards, and it’s not as if this ISM poo poo is particularly difficult to hoard if you’re in a decent fleet.

https://twitter.com/sttimelines/status/1361764304123555841?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Another month of not bothering with the premium track.