Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Yeah I love it! 3 soup toxxes now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh poo poo, I remember making a soup on the 11th but I forgot to post it because I'm a lazy jackass and I was too busy enjoying my soup.

I'm going to start with the recipe and the story behind it, and then edit in pictures once I send them from my phone and deal with Gmail's 16-factor authentication on my new laptop! EDIT: Thank you gmail, pictures have been added below.

So, I decided not to make a cold soup because it was cold as a bastard here, and thus I decided to make one of my most favorite comfort-food soups from my childhood. I grew up in a small town, and there was pretty much one "lunch spot" that everyone in town would go to, and this cream of tomato soup was a weekly staple, always served with grilled sourdough. The restaurant was such a fixture of the town that it actually got featured on CBC once, presumably the highest honour for any Canadian business, and they published a recipe book of their main recipes, which I always go to whenever I feel nostalgic.

It is not a gourmet soup; it used dried stock, dried spices, and canned tomatoes. But it is delicious and comforting.

For this soup, start by chopping a white onion and mincing a few cloves of garlic (the recipe says 2, but I like me some garlic, so I go heavier on it). Those you can put in a bowl together. Chop half a head of celery, but keep it separate since it goes in later. Mix together two tablespoons of dried dill (or 12g fresh if you have it; I did not), 1.5 tablespoons of dried basil, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1.5 tsp. baking soda, and 4 tablespoons chicken stock powder, and a solid amount of black pepper. Get two 28oz. cans of tomatoes ready. I used San Marzanos because I felt fancy, but the "authentic" version probably just used cheaper canned tomatoes, or (as noted in the official recipe) 6 cups of chopped fresh romas if they're in season.

Put your pot on the stove and sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil over low to medium heat just until the onion starts to go translucent. Don't go too high on the heat or you'll burn the garlic.

Add the celery and let it go for a few more minutes.

Add the tomatoes, a half teaspoon of honey, and a good bit of hot sauce to taste. The official version uses Tabasco but I went for a Mexican habanero sauce for some extra heat and flavour and it worked even better in my opinion. Throw in about a half-glass of red wine, and let the whole thing simmer for about an hour. At this time, I added red wine to myself as well -- always cook with something you'd be happy to drink.

Blend it up until it's mostly smooth but still has some texture to it. I use an immersion blender because gently caress doing a bunch of batches in the Cuisinart.

At this point, it's a serviceable soup, and if you're going to freeze some portions, do it now. I always freeze a bunch at this stage, and indeed I just enjoyed one of the frozen portions today. From there, you'll need some whipping cream to finish the soup and make it lovely and creamy. Make sure the soup is hot but not at a simmer, then add the cream until it looks the way you want. Heat until it's at serving temperature, but do not heat it so much that the cream separates and gets all lovely. It's noted that you can also use milk if you prefer but it runs an even greater risk of separating at high temperature. Also it's not as rich and creamy, so gently caress that.

Serve with grilled sourdough toast. Use butter, and make sure you get that beautiful Maillard reaction, and enjoy.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 19, 2019

franco
Jan 3, 2003
^^^ oh hey there non-gourmet tomato soup buddy! Looks good to me :)

THE SPICE SOUP MUST FLOW!

As much as I love that soup can be delicious stuff dumped in a pan and it's almost impossible to screw up, I thought I'd go the :effortless: route and make a slightly fiddly one.

Roasted Tomato and Crème Fraîche Soup

This puppy can actually make crappy, watery supermarket tomatoes have really good flavour!

Tomatoes, red onion, head of garlic, olive oil, vegetable stock (cubes - sorry), crème fraîche, parsley, seasoning and a weird little teabag/bouquet garni of dried thyme made with some muslin and string as my fresh died months ago and you just want it to give its flavour, not be in the end result.

Halve the tomatoes and garlic head, quarter the onion (skins still on everything), stick in a roasting tin that is older than you are and drizzle on some olive oil and seasoning. Roast for about half an hour until you get softness and a little charred.

Take out the roasted onions and garlic and slip 'em out of their skins, add a load of stock to the tomatoes/"teabag" and put them back in the oven while you make a paste of the onions/garlic in a food processor/blender. After another 10 mins, discard your teabag and add the contents of the roasting tin to the blender. Blend.

Sieve, sieve, sieve into a clean pan. You will regret this later when you find out that your sieve is a total pig to clean. Add some more stock, the crème fraîche, chopped parsley and gently heat through.

It's not much to look at, but it's incredibly tasty.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

franco posted:

It's not much to look at, but it's incredibly tasty.

Soup in a nutshell.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Tomato soup with grilled cheese on a cold rainy day is one of life's great pleasures.

No cold rainy days here, though. Temperatures here have gone warm again. Lately, autumn has begun to feel like a hoax perpetrated by Big Pumpkin to sell lattes and seasonal tablecloths. Gonna give the weather the finger and soup anyways.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Discussion Quorum posted:

No cold rainy days here, though. Temperatures here have gone warm again.

Ha! No kidding. Glad I had soup for the 4 cold days we're going to get here this year.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Minnesota is great for having cold, dreary (to some [not me!]) weather for a guaranteed 6 months of the year so SOUP FOREVER

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

franco posted:

^^^ oh hey there non-gourmet tomato soup buddy! Looks good to me :)

That looks beyond excellent. Have you tried with tomatoes in different seasons or different varieties and noticed a big difference in flavor of the final product?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

That looks beyond excellent. Have you tried with tomatoes in different seasons or different varieties and noticed a big difference in flavor of the final product?

Not sure if you mean me or PT6A haha, but I've made the same with fancypants heirloom/heritage toms before when I could get my hands on them and it's next-level. The roasted toms do the heavy lifting, flavour-wise, it's just a nice bonus that it can still be delicious with generic store-bought ones with this method :)

Resting Lich Face posted:

Soup in a nutshell.

Tru dat!

Edit: nearly 17 years on these dead gay forums and that's the first time I've toxxed myself. Thank you soup, of all things, for making me lose my virginity.

franco fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 20, 2019

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

I made a Hamburger Stew tonight!

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Not sure how I came up with this but I think it was after having some Indian chicken soup.

This is the lazy way with my instapot.

2 to 3 chicken thighs
mirepoix, for this I use 1 white onion then half that amount of bell pepper and carrot all of them just sliced. it doesnt' matter much to me because it will cook down.
Chicken stock homemade might be overkill but boxed stock works for this soup.
I even used miso stock one time because I had it and it came out alright.

The magic for me happens here. After the chicken is cooked in he pressure cooker I add either some half and half to make it a creamy soup or a slight acid for a more broth soup. From here swiss chard or spinach gets added.

If you are eating carbs maybe more carrots and a potato would be good. This soup likes salt pepper and garlic as spices. If you are making this meatless add some chopped cabbage and add a little more salt.

Finish with some fresh cilantro and now you know my secret.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Cabbage and chicken soup. Another lazy soup:

A head of Cabbage, 2 chicken thighs, a few carrots. If I was more hungry I would have added a few potatoes.
Spices are paprika, tomato paste, caraway, mixed pepper and salt.

Cook for 15 minutes in a pressure cooker, remove bones, eat. Pressure cooked cabbage (at least the most common cultivars around here) goes a bit brownish and aquires a sweet and a bit nutty taste. I personally like it and you should try it if you haven't before. It pairs great with the caraway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

Can't say based on my particular soup. I think you'd absolutely get a weaker product based on lovely, fresh tomatoes compared to good canned tomatoes, but very good in-season tomatoes would make a great soup. Based on other dishes I've made with roasted tomatoes, I'd say roasting makes a bad tomato better, but a good tomato, roasted or fresh, will still be far better.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I made a soup.. kielbasa and potato.

Yellow onion, celery, potatoes, kielbasa, parsley. Should of been creamier so I think I'll use heavy whipping cream instead of milk next time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As I said I might originally, I decided to make a cold soup. I call it jalapeno gazpacho, though I don't know if it's "authentic" or anything. I think it's based off a soup I had in Spain one time.

Here we have the basic ingredients:

1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
a few mint leaves
a small bunch of cilanto
a jalapeno, chopped (you may seed it if you don't want too much heat, but I like it spicy)
half a lemon
olive oil
sherry vinegar

Juice the lemon into a food processor and throw in all the veg and herbs, along with a splash of sherry vinegar and some salt and pepper to taste. Blend with cold water to achieve your desired consistency. At the end, drizzle in a tablespoon or two of olive oil while blending.

Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Very refreshing.

EDIT: I have chilled and now tasted this soup, and I think it may have been preferable to seed the jalapeno. It's, uh, quite spicy.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 21, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I was bored and couldn't come up with a reason to go out.

Chicken soup with wonton and chili crisp.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I was inspired by Franco and did a tomato soup, but I regret not doing the step with the sieve. Tasty as heck though.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Polish posted:

I made a soup.. kielbasa and potato.

Yellow onion, celery, potatoes, kielbasa, parsley. Should of been creamier so I think I'll use heavy whipping cream instead of milk next time.

That's the username/post content I crave

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just wanna say that I'm really glad I learned how to make broccoli soup through this thread cuz it's delicious.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Tomato soup with grilled cheese on a cold rainy day is one of life's great pleasures.

Wish I could enjoy this - I unfortunately hate the taste of tomato. When it's raw, anyway, cuz ketchup, pizza, pasta sauce, and bolognese are tasty. Not a huge fan of sun dried tomatoes, though.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Wish I could enjoy this - I unfortunately hate the taste of tomato. When it's raw, anyway, cuz ketchup, pizza, pasta sauce, and bolognese are tasty. Not a huge fan of sun dried tomatoes, though.
I, too, hate raw tomatoes, but I love tomato soup. I've found that adding a shitload of dill, garlic, and a bit of cream gets rid of that nonsense raw tomato flavor.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I made an Extremely Authentic thai red curry laksa noodle soup.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

If you're having tomato soup that tastes like raw tomato it's some lovely tomato soup.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Since we're about to leave town for a bit, I took the opportunity to use up some older cans and some produce that wouldn't last until we got back. I started with this recipe for masoor dal soup with the following adaptations:

Used water instead of vegetable stock because it turns out I only thought I had some stock left over :doh:
Toasted whole cumin, coriander, and mustard seed in coconut oil before frying the onion, garlic, and a diced serrano, then added turmeric and garam masala
Subbed a can of diced tomato with green chile for the fresh tomato, reserved the liquid to add to the lentil cooking water
Finished off with a can of coconut milk found at the back of the pantry

Still turned out good, next time I will use more spices, vegetable stock, whole red lentils instead of split, and did I mention MORE SPICES?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

:siren: LAST WEEKEND TO GET YOUR SOUP IN. :siren:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Potato and chickpea soup that I suck at taking a picture of.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

toplitzin posted:

:siren: LAST WEEKEND TO GET YOUR SOUP IN. :siren:

Dang! After confidently claiming first post in this thread in anticipation of making Pho that weekend, I completely forgot to take any pictures.

Went a different route instead and made an old family favorite: Zitronensuppe or Lemon Soup.

It’s quite simple. You turn this (lemons, sugar, eggs, cornstarch) and water

into this

Can be served warm or cold as a starter or dessert. Might even make a nice palate cleanser in a multi course menu.

I’ll edit in more process pics and the recipe tomorrow.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hello my souper friends.

We have reached the last day of November, and what a month it's been.

Y'all have really come out and made some great soups this month.
From making new soups for the first time to leaning on your old stand by recipes, and everything in between.

For the final tally, i believe we have the following (please error check me) SOUP or DIE participants.

Congratulations to everyone in the soup column. including ALL of our Toxx Soupers.
Whether you made one soup, two soups (or more!), a red soup or a green soup, be proud of your SOUP.

• VictualSquid - soup, soup again, and again
  • toplitzin - soup, soup again, and again
  • Cavenagh - soup, soup again
  • Grand Fromage - soup, soup again
  • Kaiser Schnitzel - soup, soup again
  • Liquid Communism - soup
  • scuz - soup
  • Whalley - soup
  • Nephzinho - soup
  • The Glumslinger - soup
  • Eat This Glob - soup
  • Drink and Fight - soup
  • vuk83 - soup
  • SavageGentleman - soup
  • Zanna - soup
  • THE MACHO MAN - soup
  • Nine of Eight - soup
  • Discussion Quorum - soup
  • Pollyanna - soup
  • Jato - soup
  • Casu Marzu - soup
  • TheCog - soup
  • PT6A - soup, soup again
  • Ebeneezer Splooge - soup
  • Polish - soup
  • Drink and Fight - soup
  • The Aardvark - soup
  • Serendipitaet - soup

• sweat poteto - toxx - soup
  • Resting Lich Face - toxx - soup
  • franco - toxx - soup
  • Discussion Quorum - toxx - soup

And as of this post, we have the following in the No Soup Bucket. Know that soup could have saved you.
  • Suspect Bucket
  • topenga
  • Waci
  • Bliss Authority
  • bartlebee
  • stinkypete

HOWEVER all is not lost. You have until I close this thread sometime tomorrow, December 1st, to post your soup.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Come on stragglers! You've been given mercy. Perfect opportunity to use up all that dry mediocre turkey you have leftover. Besides, you did make stock with the carcass, right?

:hfive: for my cooking toxx comrades.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Aardvark posted:

Potato and chickpea soup that I suck at taking a picture of.

I'd eat that soup. What's the greenery and source of the redness in the broth?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I fancy turkey souped at my sister's place. Hence the fancy plates

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm gonna make another soup after soup or die is over I hope that's okay.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

toplitzin posted:

HOWEVER all is not lost. You have until I close this thread sometime tomorrow, December 1st, to post your soup.

Lingonberry soup!

Tomato soup!

Soup soup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nice work you two.

Great Soup Everyone!