Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Made chicken and dumplings/,chicken pot pie stew last week. Makin a new soup RIGHT NOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Made chicken and dumplings/,chicken pot pie stew last week. Makin a new soup RIGHT NOW!
Soup is so good and easy and cheap and an excellent excuse to bake and consume too much bread. I am so glad we are all making soup.

Forgot to post this soup:

Cabbage
Taters
White beans in a can cuz I'm lazy
Bratwurst
Stock-some homemade beef stretched with bought chicken
Marjoram-Great herb in soups and plays well with the brats that also have a marjoram thing going on
Thyme
Onion
Mushrooms

Fried the onions a little, dumped everything else in. Cooked ~20 min, cut up brats (and their delicious juices) and returned to pot for a little while. A great trick I picked up around these forums somewhere is adding a few packets of unflavored gelatin to canned stock. It really does make a huge difference in the mouthfeel and makes it much much more unctuous.

Mostly based on a soup in Claudia Roden's Spain cookbook, but hers (which I have made before) involves ham stock and I didn't have time to simmer a ham hock. I wasn't sure I was going to like the white beans AND potatoes, but it is actually a nice contrast between the two.

Verdict: Pretty good. Something brighter green towards the end would have looked nice? Maybe some parsley or toss some spinach in at the end? Except I don't like the way spinach freezes in soups, and most of this is destined for the freezer. Bratwurst sliced in soup is real good. I first did it and learned about marjoram in soup in this recipe (which is v. good if you make good veg stock) https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Graupensuppe-German-Barley-Soup/ And then started doing it in Jacques Pepin's leek and potato soup, but it has become a regular in lots of brothy N. European kind of soups for me.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SOUP FOR THE SOUP GOD!!!!

Cauliflower paprikash soup w/dumplings.

Poached some chicken and added it because I thought I’d want some meat but it really doesn’t need in. Really good and pretty quick and easy.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Karfiolleves-Paprika-Spiced-Cauliflower-Soup/