Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone else skim the mud reddit? People post the most bizarre poo poo there all the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/ox3u2r/armageddon_mud_is_mainly_unpleasant_and_i_feel/

E: Guess I'll summarize for the lazy. Basically, this person is angry a serial "Food Guy" is on the loose on their server. Pressuring people to eat their glazed (yes, the kind of glaze you're thinking of) cakes.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I just logged into Waterdeep for the first time in many years, only to find out that not only is my main character still around, but so is the loving MUD. It was a mix of Final Fantasy 6, DnD Forgotten Realms, and drug humor (which at the time I knew nothing about).

I checked my character's creation date and it was "Feb 6 2000", so over 21 years ago, making me 13 years old when I created it. Makes me feel real old.

Of course at this time there was only 1 person logged in besides me.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

RubberLuffy posted:

I just logged into Waterdeep for the first time in many years, only to find out that not only is my main character still around, but so is the loving MUD. It was a mix of Final Fantasy 6, DnD Forgotten Realms, and drug humor (which at the time I knew nothing about).

I checked my character's creation date and it was "Feb 6 2000", so over 21 years ago, making me 13 years old when I created it. Makes me feel real old.

Hey, your character can drink now, which will be very useful for any bar RP with that one other person.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

RubberLuffy posted:

Is it the admin?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is it the admin?

Surprisingly no, just some max level person probably logged in and idling. There was an admin but it clearly said "BOT" next to their name so I didn't count it as a person (is this racist towards bots?)

It's kind of depressing to see a MUD you played a LOT of, that always had 60+ people logged in, just kinda be reduced to a single idler. Why even keep it running?

Anyway, now I'm playing Dragonball Infinity because i always enjoyed the DB Saga code base which DBI is a clone of. It's good for seeing the "numbers go up" and killing time

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

RubberLuffy posted:

N00b. I started on Discworld in 1993.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey thread, it's been a real long time since I've played a mud but I've got an itch.

I play a lot of idle incrementals, and enjoy scripting things up, and I'm wondering if any of the muds people play on lend themselves well to writing up a script and letting it run to make progress while you work & keep an eye on it? I'm a big Discworld fan so if that one can be played that way I'd give it a shot. I don't know if scripted play is a common thing but I would assume so given the nature of these games.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Writing bots for MUDs is one of my favorite hobbies. It is common, but illegal on most of them, to varying degrees - from "anything goes as long as you're at the keyboard" to "don't auto attack stuff or you'll get banned".

Aardwolf is one of the most populated MUDs by far, and super grindy, so it lends itself well to it. Most of the gameplay is doing automated quests to kill random mobs across the huge game world, so automating that can be challenging (in a good way). It's got a nice custom client that will handle mapping and auto travel.

Another favorite is the Unofficial Squaresoft MUD, which has come up a couple times in this thread over the years. It's got a fun job system based on Final Fantasy, and very grindy hack and slash gameplay. It's really sparsely populated though. Also you have to be careful with botting because leveling up is manual, so if you get enough exp for multiple levels and level up twice in a row it looks very suspicious.

One of the only ones I know of where botting is explicitly legal is Alter Aeon, where the owner's attitude is "if you can outsmart the anti botting systems then go for it".

edit: I've never played Discworld but from what I've heard it's probably a good candidate too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty fun to make scripts. I had an automated package deliverer for HellMOO at one point but it was really just an extremely long series of static directions with trigger phrases. We also had a really basic random chat string and other annoying spam file that we passed around for like a year until it was disgustingly big. It got to the point if someone died the guildchat would automatically print like 15 ASCII tombstones at once lol. Imo it's massive cowardice to use triggers in PVP games, though, mostly because it rapidly turns into an arms race because depending how the game works it can be really hard to fight them without your own triggers

Xodi
May 20, 2004

Xodi is.. alien dinosaur? wtf?! (thanks OMG ITZ JAMES)
I kind of want to play a MUD again. The small cadre of mudgoons we had on a discord imploded though. Anyone playing any of these games and lookin' for a buddy? I'm pretty groovy with any type of MUD but I'm not a huge fan of MUCKs.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Edly posted:

Writing bots for MUDs is one of my favorite hobbies. It is common, but illegal on most of them, to varying degrees - from "anything goes as long as you're at the keyboard" to "don't auto attack stuff or you'll get banned".

Aardwolf is one of the most populated MUDs by far, and super grindy, so it lends itself well to it. Most of the gameplay is doing automated quests to kill random mobs across the huge game world, so automating that can be challenging (in a good way). It's got a nice custom client that will handle mapping and auto travel.

Another favorite is the Unofficial Squaresoft MUD, which has come up a couple times in this thread over the years. It's got a fun job system based on Final Fantasy, and very grindy hack and slash gameplay. It's really sparsely populated though. Also you have to be careful with botting because leveling up is manual, so if you get enough exp for multiple levels and level up twice in a row it looks very suspicious.

One of the only ones I know of where botting is explicitly legal is Alter Aeon, where the owner's attitude is "if you can outsmart the anti botting systems then go for it".

edit: I've never played Discworld but from what I've heard it's probably a good candidate too.

I got a few skills zero'd when I got caught botting on Discworld about a decade ago. I agree it's a fun challenge that I wish I had time for now.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any muds that can be run on a home network easily? I could Google it I guess

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Are there any muds that can be run on a home network easily? I could Google it I guess

Any of them, really; what part are you concerned about? Any extant mud should run fine on a Pentium II or whatever other ancient crap you have around.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Almost a defining feature of a MUD is being able to run on anything that can still boot and connect to the Internet.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Maybe you mean like a MUD server engine you could run at home? Maybe CoffeeMUD? https://github.com/bozimmerman/CoffeeMud

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Ruzihm posted:

Maybe you mean like a MUD server engine you could run at home? Maybe CoffeeMUD? https://github.com/bozimmerman/CoffeeMud

Sorry, that was less clear than I meant and I didn't check back. Yes, running the server engine at home is what I'm looking for. Thank you for the link!

My kids have asked about early online gaming so it might be fun to set up in house

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Sorry, that was less clear than I meant and I didn't check back. Yes, running the server engine at home is what I'm looking for. Thank you for the link!

My kids have asked about early online gaming so it might be fun to set up in house

This is really neat and if they end up loving around with it I'd love to hear how they feel about the experience, just for curiosity's sake.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
IF thread said this would be the best place to post about it, although I'm not entirely sure it fits here either, but I'm wondering if anyone here plays any of the Discord style bot-controlled chat games?

I've got two I've been playing lately (and one I'm actively developing, but I won't talk about that one) I want to talk about somewhere:

Mush: Respored is a text-based remake of an old Twinoid flash-based chat game called MUSH. The premise is similar to Among Us a la Spacestation 13 - you're a bunch of people on a spaceship, and two of you have secretly been infected and replaced by shapeshifting mushroom aliens. The goal of the crew is to keep the prototype ship in working order, complete various improvement projects, explore alien planets, research a cure, return to earth, and liberate people from MUSH tyranny... or to find and colonize a new planet outside their influence. The goal of the Mush are to stop that from happening and kill or convert the crew, or if you're a particularly ambitious Mush help them colonize the new planet without them realizing there's still a Mush alive amongst there number to eventually seize control of it.

The other one is Kobold Legacy, in which you get randomly assigned to a kobold tribe and take over one of the various kobolds that have been born or recruited into that tribe. There you must work with other players to expand the den, build improvements, go out exploring and hunting, negotiate with or fight with various other factions, and just generally try to prove that kobolds are just as good as anyone else. So far it's been a good mix of roleplaying, strategy gaming, and high tension close calls, though I imagine a lot of the details depend on which tribe you end up getting put in with, since I think they all have their own norms. Of course, you can always pack up and abandon your tribe, either going out to found a tribe of your own or finding another tribe to join, but it's dangerous out there for a lone kobold!

Both of them have pretty small playerbases (in the low double digits) but I'm greatly enjoying them.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Interesting idea using Discord as the communication channel instead of telnet randomport

Seems like you'd need a channel per player and something to arbitrate messages between.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

18 Character Limit posted:

Interesting idea using Discord as the communication channel instead of telnet randomport

Seems like you'd need a channel per player and something to arbitrate messages between.

That's how one of them works. The other one has a channel for each major location and one for each "party" that travels as a group around the map together. It also has a way to communicate with other parties in the same area through the 'say' command, but you don't need to do that for people in the same channel, only to communicate with different channels.

Personally, I think I prefer the channel-per-person approach

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Seems like you could just communicate with a bot in PMs and you wouldn't need a server at all, though you'd probably still want one as a replacement for the user list and chat channel stuff.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Wouldn't you lose all the functionality that MUD client-side software give you by using Discord?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

GlyphGryph posted:

Multible User Discords

This is a super cool idea that I'm going to look into.

TitusGroen posted:

Wouldn't you lose all the functionality that MUD client-side software give you by using Discord?

To some developers, that's a feature. I think one of the reasons MUDs spiraled into deep obscurity (other than, you know, online text game from 1980) is related to the difficulty in controlling the user experience; either your game is too simple babygame for people who know how to use full featured mapping mud clients with macro scripts, or it's way too complex and grindy for new blood who don't want/know-how to set up a client to get interested. Discord bots might conceptually bridge that gap between having the capabilities to make experiences and limiting users to acceptable interactions with those experiences.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think just having a browser client is enough to bridge the gap for most people. Putting a custom client on Steam would also go a long way. Gutting all the features of a MUD to make it a Discord bot game is... interesting, I suppose, but not really a substitute.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think just having a browser client is enough to bridge the gap for most people. Putting a custom client on Steam would also go a long way. Gutting all the features of a MUD to make it a Discord bot game is... interesting, I suppose, but not really a substitute.

Having a custom client or a web page isn't enough; to make sure that control both ends of the spectrum requires you to limit it to only the browser client, and the veteran mudding community would not have something like that, which runs into the same problem as just making a 'beginner only' mud. The discord framework does a lot. I just joined a mudlike game from my phone that operates fairly effectively from the phone, but would translate comfortably to browser or software clients. This is really a hybrid between browser game and mud, but it's definitely interesting.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
There was a game on steam called Grimmwood that was functionally a MUD with a browser-like client, but it got rugpulled by a shady publisher and it went defunct after a couple months. It was decently popular.

Arven fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 8, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
depends on the game too, i think, some would translate to that framework better than others

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://store.steampowered.com/app/469920/hackmud/ is a mud

I feel there is still interesting new things to be done in the "multiplayer text game" space, probably in the space "there is an actual app with actual UI facilitating things" space.

Arven posted:

There was a game on steam called Grimmwood that was functionally a MUD with a browser-like client, but it got rugpulled by a shady publisher and it went defunct after a couple months. It was decently popular.

Hmmm. Was that, like, an update of Die2Nite? Looks neat, too bad about it dying.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sindome owns but some of the staff loving suck

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

hbag posted:

sindome owns but some of the staff loving suck

Also the players who PvP anyone not in their clique back to square one, once a new character starts getting powerful.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

the staff loving suck

seems like almost all MUDs, on a long enough timeline

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Hello Sailor posted:

Also the players who PvP anyone not in their clique back to square one, once a new character starts getting powerful.

eh i think it works as long as you dont treat it like another grindfest MOO

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

18 Character Limit posted:

seems like almost all MUDs, on a long enough timeline

Is there a MUD that hasn’t ended up like that?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Insanite posted:

Is there a MUD that hasn’t ended up like that?

Sure, probably several of the ones that are no longer online

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I don't think the Discworld staff suck. Except for me of course.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I've gone to a lot of effort to try to make the avendar staff not suck and now we only suck in that we're all a bunch of brain broken busy adults who have a heck of a time getting stuff done

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Aren't there goon wizzes on LOTJ?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
BatMud also has an advanced client on Steam for five bucks.

edit: :wtc:

Anarch fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 11, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Anarch posted:

BatMud also has an advanced client on Steam for five bucks.

Their Christmas events last year included raping a goat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hello Sailor posted:

Their Christmas events last year included raping a goat.

Another rape in cyberspace?!