Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Another rape in cyberspace?!

Most of us outgrew HellMOO, but you do you, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hello Sailor posted:

Most of us outgrew HellMOO, but you do you, buddy.

Way to show your rear end

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Okay?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Doesn't really apply when you're the one acting condescending about a relevant historical reference

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

good loving lord they were making a joke about hellmoo being creepy stop making GBS threads your pants about it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hbag posted:

good loving lord they were making a joke about hellmoo being creepy stop making GBS threads your pants about it

It is creepy, I don't appreciate the implication lol. MUDs still having the best communities as always

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

the implication that hellmoo is creepy?
you are massively and possibly deliberately misinterpreting what they said

please start acting like an adult

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

hbag posted:

the implication that hellmoo is creepy?
you are massively and possibly deliberately misinterpreting what they said

please start acting like an adult

Misinterpreting "you still play HellMOO for the rape"? You tell me the proper interpretation then, and maybe you can take your own advice and act like an adult instead of lashing out at me for posting wrong.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

p sure cup runneth over was agreeing that hellmoo is creepy

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Misinterpreting "you still play HellMOO for the rape"? You tell me the proper interpretation then, and maybe you can take your own advice and act like an adult instead of lashing out at me for posting wrong.

good loving christ they werent saying you "play hellmoo for the rape"
they were making a joke pointing out how overrun with that poo poo hellmoo is

also lol at trying to "no u" me when you're the one who started throwing a loving tantrum because someone made a hellmoo joke

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
meet me at fourth and lumberg and we'll settle this once and for all.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I'm a little disappointed that the BatMUD folks are shitheads. I thankfully didn't encounter any of that in my first few hours in the game, but if I want a generic fantasy MUD that I can grind for hours in, I understand there are at least one or two alternatives kicking around somewhere.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

tbh i would try out other MOOs and MUDS or whatever but im yet to find one thats anywhere near as immersive as sindome
cybersphere has better mechanics but the rp kinda sucks rear end

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

i tried to get my friend into his first mud with sindome, which seemed pretty cool. we scrounged up enough money to buy some butterfly knives and were rp practicing flipping them out and stabbing trash bags in an alleyway. good times

anyway, a random event happened where an untargetable npc stole the leftover money we had and we couldnt chase or attack or do anything about it. quit pretty soon after lol.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ruzihm posted:

i tried to get my friend into his first mud with sindome, which seemed pretty cool. we scrounged up enough money to buy some butterfly knives and were rp practicing flipping them out and stabbing trash bags in an alleyway. good times

anyway, a random event happened where an untargetable npc stole the leftover money we had and we couldnt chase or attack or do anything about it. quit pretty soon after lol.

i mean that's gonna happen if you're not very perceptive and hanging out in a dark, foggy ghetto with loose money in your pocket yeah
i agree it kind of sucks that you cant target the npc that does it though

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
BTW, Discworld recently passed 30 years since opening to players. So, :toot:!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Just found out from r/mud that the admin for ConquestMUD passed away from colon cancer.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Presto posted:

Just in time for me to start playing. Great!

Ages ago I used to play a MUD called Utopia, which was great because it was a colony-building game that was turn-based (you allocated actions once every 24 hours) and also the entire competition reset every 4 months so snowball strategies were kept in check.

I think Earth Empires/Earth 2025 (which will be here in 3 years lol) were the inheritors of that one.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Would this be the right thread to ask if anyone used to play on quarantine2019.com? Was/is it goon-created or run?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
since hellmoo got mentioned i realise dumb poo poo like mayor stabs will forever be stuck in my brain until the day i'm pissing and making GBS threads myself in an old folks home

it's like being nostalgic for smoking cigs and hard drugs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have a lot of fun remembering my various reigns of terror, although most of them were from hate/infernomoo.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Insanite posted:

Is there a MUD that hasn’t ended up like that?

The GSIV staff is pretty decent, imo.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of them)

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Presto posted:

The first and only game where I got to play with dudes from 3 generations at once. Grandpa, son and grandson :P

Did they offer 30 year mementos? I loving missed it

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Presto posted:

N00b. I started on Discworld in 1993.

that is enchanting to hear, may I have free stuff

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Sorus posted:

The GSIV staff is pretty decent, imo.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of them)

How unreachable is end game these days?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

El Mero Mero posted:

Just in time for me to start playing. Great!

Ages ago I used to play a MUD called Utopia, which was great because it was a colony-building game that was turn-based (you allocated actions once every 24 hours) and also the entire competition reset every 4 months so snowball strategies were kept in check.

I think Earth Empires/Earth 2025 (which will be here in 3 years lol) were the inheritors of that one.

Hey there! I remember playing Utopia back in 1998 or so, on the school library computer. I remember really liking some of the MIDI music, but not knowing where it was from. Eventually recognized one of the themes when I first saw Conan the Barbarian.

But correct me if I’m wrong, please: Utopia was a web-based team strategy game, not a MUD, right?
There was a little forum for your little kingdom/guild to communicate internally, and you’d use it to coordinate landgrab raids against other kingdoms.

I recall the most important thing was to never let more than 24 hours pass between logins, because you’d lose out on actions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It still is that, yes.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Victorkm posted:

How unreachable is end game these days?

Do you mean reaching level 100, your professions true cap, or capping out everything you can get via Ascension?

If level 100, then it would take less than two years of regular experience gain. There is a new post-cap hunting ground, the Hinterwilds, that was recently released and one can buy a ship and do some sailing. Open Sea Adventures is a fairly neat system to engage with.

But fashion is truly the end game and you can do that at level 0.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sorus posted:

Do you mean reaching level 100, your professions true cap, or capping out everything you can get via Ascension?

If level 100, then it would take less than two years of regular experience gain. There is a new post-cap hunting ground, the Hinterwilds, that was recently released and one can buy a ship and do some sailing. Open Sea Adventures is a fairly neat system to engage with.

But fashion is truly the end game and you can do that at level 0.

Does simutronics have a lore bible that's been kept up to date for decades? I have so many Dragonrealms mysteries I'd love to have solved.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Mr. Pickles posted:

that is enchanting to hear, may I have free stuff

No. :colbert:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You could've at least given them a discount coupon for the cash shop, when it launches on Thursday.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Κ

:ferrari:

what of this cash shoppe??

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does simutronics have a lore bible that's been kept up to date for decades? I have so many Dragonrealms mysteries I'd love to have solved.

I can't really speak to the DR side of things since I'm on the GS side, though I am fairly certain that there is an 'official' wiki of sorts for that game so maybe they've filled it out? We've done that for the GS side of things, which has had staff and player input to flesh it all out.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I miss Dragon’s Gate.

Or I miss being young. Impossible to tell.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm getting the once-every-two-years itch to open up Mudlet again.

Anyone currently playing LOTJ? When did the current era start / is a new timeline happening soonish?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I've created tons of three-character aliases and nicknames for thieving and skinning and tanning and street repair to get it just right, but Discworld on my ancient phone with its lovely touch keyboard has become an absolute boon for my two-bus daily commute. I'm learning the Djelian language by hanging out in the marketplace browsing the stalls and listening to NPC chatter. I wander around Ankh-Morpork repairing streets and picking pockets for fun and profit. If they see me in Sto Lat they try to shove me in a trebuchet. The game map is enormous and there are so many ways to get around. It's brilliant fun.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
We've hit the big time, baby!

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2022/sep/28/we-can-continue-pratchetts-efforts-the-gamers-keeping-discworld-alive

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Kind of interested to see if there’s any player bump as a result of that.

Maybe I’ll log back in.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i can only focus on one M** at a time and for the foreseeable future it's sindome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
looks like mudstats.com is dead, rip