Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there still a goon presence on Batmud? I know a wizard gave us our own channel back when I played it the first time. Is it still going?

Been giving riftwalker a try and found it pretty easy, but really SP-intensive. Ideally, I'll find something that's more like a 2 parts HP, 2 parts SP, and 1 part EP distribution so I don't spend so much time on regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've met at least one other goon on Discworld and would be up for grouping or something sometime if others are around.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~
I started a new character on ATS recently and I'm having a blast. Never before did I think a game would get me to start researching and getting invested in tea.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
the eternal city is the only mud i ever played but i enjoyed it if i get more time to waste in the future i may pick up a mud again for a lark theyre good stuff

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005
Did anyone ever play Battletech 3056 or a similar MU*? I first did back in about 1993, and again for longer in 98-99. I've been trying to find something like that again, with the different houses all tooling around the same planet, occasional battles and whatnot. It was a good time, some hierarchy and organization but not a lot of rear end-kissing or general bs. I believe I was in Liao, just a garden variety MechWarrior, but still got good quality playtime.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Has anyone else checked out the latest from Titans of Text (MUD/IF podcast)?

https://www.titansoftext.com/25

It's on Alter Aeon. The back catalog of episodes is worth checking out, too.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So a couple pages back I posted about a copy of The Beast Within that I hosted back in early January. Playerbase growth was slow for the first few weeks, but it's really picked up over the last couple weeks. Last night we hit 21 concurrent players, granted a half dozen of them were on two chars, but that's still over a dozen unique players which is pretty cool, and for the last week or two we've just about never dropped below 6 throughout the day.

If anyone wants to come check it out, it's a pvp mud, with actual players, in 2020. I know, I hardly believe it myself.

It's at tbwmud.com:5353, and we have a lovely web client you can use to test it out at https://tbwmud.com.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Is there a decent MUD that isn't insanely arcane and is easy to jump into and has a decent playerbase?

I tried BatMUD for example, but the classing system was just a bit much for me. Sort of decision paralysis style. Felt like I was shooting myself in the foot right out of the gate by making an uninformed decision on what to play.

I also really enjoyed HellMOO in the glory days. Isn't it still around? What changed?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ruggan posted:

I tried BatMUD for example, but the classing system was just a bit much for me. Sort of decision paralysis style. Felt like I was shooting myself in the foot right out of the gate by making an uninformed decision on what to play.

You can reinc without penalty before level 40 or 10 days total playtime. Try anything and everything that seems interesting to you.

Batmud is arcane as gently caress, though. Not sure I've ever played a mud that wasn't, even hellmoo.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Ruggan posted:

Is there a decent MUD that isn't insanely arcane and is easy to jump into and has a decent playerbase?

I also really enjoyed HellMOO in the glory days. Isn't it still around? What changed?

What kind of experience are you looking for? PvP+, roleplay-enforced, grindy? Do you care about setting?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Reene posted:

What kind of experience are you looking for? PvP+, roleplay-enforced, grindy? Do you care about setting?

PvP is nice to have for interactions sake but not required.

Don’t care about RP or setting too much. Just not sex dungeon / furry house.

Just want a numbers go up game with interesting content to explore, and an active enough player base that I don’t feel alone 100% of the time. Something that supports soloing but is conducive to grouping and shared experiences. Preferably with engaging loot and skill systems.

Big is cool, but too big is bad. Something like Discworld is almost a turnoff in that sense, because how the gently caress do you ever run into anyone when there’s a million rooms? At that point you’re basically walking around in a big museum.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I did really like HellMOO size wise.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Edit: nm

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~

Ruggan posted:

Fairly similar to BatMUD is RetroMUD, it's got a somewhat small yet dedicated playerbase with a fair number of goons I know playing.

It has a robust class system, and a similar reincarnation system that lets you try a lot of things before you really dedicate.
The big downfalls it has are how heavily group dependent the middle and late game is and intense death penalties as you get higher level.
If you're interested in RP it's got a scene that's slowly building up, a lot of players have personalities in mind for their characters but just spend most of their time ooc. If you decide to play this I can't really help you directly since I'm an imm but I can direct you to people who can get you set up if you send a tell to Leonia when I'm on. The playerbase is also very friendly.
This game has no pvp except for scheduled arena matches that fire on set times/days.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ruggan posted:

Big is cool, but too big is bad. Something like Discworld is almost a turnoff in that sense, because how the gently caress do you ever run into anyone when there’s a million rooms? At that point you’re basically walking around in a big museum.

I run into people surprisingly often in Discworld. There's always somebody at the Drum, and of course you've got guild members coming and going from their guild halls. Wandering through any of the cities or villages I'll frequently encounter other players. Yes, you could wait an awful long time sitting around a random cafe in Bes Pelargic without anyone showing up... but why would you do that? There's also all sorts of magic to figure out where people are and get you to them.

Discworld also has the absolute best mapping and speedwalking tools I've ever used, in Quow's MUSHclient distribution. I see it as freeing me from the mundane business of walking from one side of town to another, so when I actually want to poke around and explore a place I'm not mentally fatigued from spending the last 5 minutes getting there.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Seconding A Tempest Peace given your criteria.

Discworld could also be a good fit, depending on how much the vibe clicks with you.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm a baby MUDer and have spent the last 3/4ths of the decade playing RPIs and MUSHes after the RPI genre loving died save for Armaggedon, but I've been kind of craving the feeling I got as a kid playing Avalon so I'm gonna check out ATS since there's still at least a small goon presence.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

unimportantguy posted:

I've been playing Medievia on and off for a couple decades but I can't recommend it at all because the player base has been dead as gently caress for years and the dude who runs it is a delusional weirdo rear end in a top hat that never updates anything. That's my MUD story.

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about Medievia in 20 years. Not surprised that Vryce is still an insane dipshit. Also not surprised the player population is dead. Had to check the site to see if they are still claiming Medievia V is being worked on and lmao of course they are.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

is pepsi ok posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about Medievia in 20 years. Not surprised that Vryce is still an insane dipshit. Also not surprised the player population is dead. Had to check the site to see if they are still claiming Medievia V is being worked on and lmao of course they are.

The only thing I remember about Medievia was like 20 years ago when Discworld was down, so a bunch of us went to try it out, and the combat messages were full of stuff like "You massacred the TREE!", in multiple colors.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is Discworld still hosting that zombie apocalypse mud? I don't remember what it was called. I tried it briefly, but don't really care for the genre. Some folks here might like it, though.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Hello Sailor posted:

Is Discworld still hosting that zombie apocalypse mud? I don't remember what it was called. I tried it briefly, but don't really care for the genre. Some folks here might like it, though.

That was Epitaph.

Discworld isn't hosting it, but I think it's still around somewhere.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Oh, wow. Hi, thread!

I used to be deeply involved with most facets of gemstone until my health got in the way. Right around the time all the cash stuff started to get wild. Good timing, I guess!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Does ATS usually have terrible lag or is it just my connection tonight? I can't get through chargen at this point.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It’s not been laggy in my experience, no.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think it was the VPN being crappy. Gave it a shot, played the newbie area, and I don't think it's my cup of tea.

Combat system is neat, but a bit too involved for my liking.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The learning curve seems a little tougher than other games. I found it overwhelming at first, too, but the game's similarity to Dragon's Gate gave me sufficient reason to stick it out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's weirding me out because it's got that 'spam your dps rotation' thing from MMOs, only I'm expected to type the commands.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Aliases and macros are your friends for lengthy chains of stuff, but some classes are a lot simpler than others wrt rotations and skill synergy. Which did you try?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm running a rogue, so the usual chain runs hide/backstab/jab/gut/jab/circle repeat ad nauseam.

I think I remember enough to build a reactive trigger set to somewhat automate it, but I'm leery given the recent posts on botting.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The botting posts are honestly torpedos aimed directly at like, one dude in particular whose scripts are incredibly disruptive on top of him just being kind of an rear end in a top hat. Most triggers/scripts will be fine; I use a bunch myself to rotate buffs and such.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Which one of you autists is Tuan on Discworld?

I wish I'd saved the log of him voicing his sincere belief that all modern music is "just songs about relationships" and getting laughed at by the rest of the chatline.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Is there anything out there that's got combat similar to what dragonrealms has? Or had? I'm getting back into MUDing after not doing it for like 20 years and I think that's what I miss the most. Tried a couple things here and there, but the usual 'kill <thing>' while also executing the occasional damage skill (Kick!) isn't really doing it for me.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Icesus or a tempest season

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

What was Dragonrealms combat like? kill foo / missile / kick is all I experienced.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I took ATS out of the OP because the admins turned out to be uhhh not great in how they interacted with some female players in private.

Sax Solo posted:

What was Dragonrealms combat like? kill foo / missile / kick is all I experienced.

It's changed a lot but the most recent iteration has short combos that will improve your balance/position while lowering your opponents'. There is a range system (missile/pole/melee range) that has never really been used to its potential. Stealth is its own thing and involves hiding and ambushing for various bonuses. Different guilds have different ways of interacting with like, the stealth system and poo poo, or ways of dealing status effects like stuns or prone or whatever.

I haven't actually touched the game in a few years but AFAIK none of this has changed in that span of time.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Reene posted:

I took ATS out of the OP because the admins turned out to be uhhh not great in how they interacted with some female players in private.

Goddamnit, MUD people.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, I bailed on Icesus after I learned that the admins don't do anything about misogynistic attacks in world chat. One of the sorer thumbs in that regard is also an admin on BatMUD - the one who set up the goon chatline, in fact - so I've left that place behind, too.

So, I'm down to two muds that I'm still interested in playing which aren't infested with toxic people: Discworld and Ancient Anguish.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Sax Solo posted:

I haven't played in YEARS so I could be completely off base, but you had two things to keep track of during combat: balance and position. Depending on your attacks and defensive moves, your balance and position would go up or down. An example of that is the draw => parry => slice => parry/draw, which typically improved balance and position at the end of the cycle, unless an attack knocked you off balance or out of position.

Other things like chaining jab => draw would slowly improve balance and position because jab was a very low damage, high position/balance attack, and draw was a heavy attack but was still positive after a jab. Parry/dodge were defensive moves you could use as well, and stances could also be used to prioritize which you should do (it's dodge).

There were attacks like backstab, but I think only thieves had any benefits or bonuses with it.

There were a TON of attacks, that basically modified your balance/position. Another example I think was chop, which could knock you off balance but potentially did more damage.

Also, an entire combat system called "Brawl" was added at some point, but I only ever remember barbarians using it because I think their dances gave huge bonuses to it in particular.

There was also a fun bug where if you jab draw to much, you would go from overwhelming advantage to completely disadvantaged, because there was a well known overflow bug.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Played BatMUD for a few hours, completed the tutorial. The newbie channel is very helpful but I'm not sure if I'm finding the fun. I don't know if the starting town is very representative of the rest of the game though, guess I'll spend some time wandering around in the jungle since I missed my transport back to the guild hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
Hi, all, are there any World of Darkness (original WoD or Chronicles, doesn't matter to me) MUSHes that still exist and are reasonably active? Any that you like/play in? I joined Haunted Memories (the Austria one) right at the tail end of its life a couple years ago, and I didn't get a chance to ask anyone where they were going or to say goodbye. The other one I mostly lurked/chatted in was shut down not long ago because the host passed away, and they retired it without her while I was busy with life, too. :shobon:

As an aside, I've also wondered about joining Shadowrun - Denver, which is still kicking. Does anyone have any experience? How well is the system implemented? I love MUSHes, but if people roleplay non-D&D settings/systems other places, I'd be willing to go to another platform (e.g. Discord or, ugh, Reddit), if anyone knew. Thank you.