Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Around 2002 til 2005, I played a ton of Aetolia with a buddy of mine and dabbled a bit in Discworld with another friend. I really enjoyed it. It's wild that both are still going, and I saw that IRE did this: https://www.aetolia.com/2020/06/01/iron-realms-donates-15000-to-rip-medical-debt/ . Pretty cool, although the headline says 1.5 million, and the article says 15,000. Either way, it's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I suspect it's correct. Long-standing debts tend to have been shuffled from debt collector to debt collector so often that it's not impossible a charitable group could negotiate 100:1 leverage.

e: Just looked at the organization's website and the 100:1 ratio for old medical debt is correct. Debt collectors buy uncollected debt for pennies (well, penny in this case) on the dollar and if they also fail to collect, eventually resell it to an even shittier collection agency. The charity buys the right to collect the debt and then refuses to exercise it or resell it.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 18, 2020

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

I suspect it's correct. Long-standing debts tend to have been shuffled from debt collector to debt collector so often that it's not impossible a charitable group could negotiate 100:1 leverage.

e: Just looked at the organization's website and the 100:1 ratio for old medical debt is correct. Debt collectors buy uncollected debt for pennies (well, penny in this case) on the dollar and if they also fail to collect, eventually resell it to an even shittier collection agency. The charity buys the right to collect the debt and then refuses to exercise it or resell it.

Are you sure you are in the right place?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

cwinkle posted:

Yes, I am, person who's never posted in this thread before now. Did you read the post immediately before mine or does every post that doesn't quote the one before it exist in a contextless void for you?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 21, 2020

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hello Sailor posted:

Yes, I am, person who's never posted in this thread before now. Did you read the post immediately before mine or does every post that doesn't quote the one before it exist in a contextless void for you?

Sorry, is there some sort of post you're responding to?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

cwinkle posted:

Idgi

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Hello Sailor posted:

My favorite part is that, given how varied the medium has been over the past 30+ years, everything you said could still word-for-word apply to some old school heavy number crunching MUD. Toss in some words like automation or triggers and you've got me wanting to pop open zMUD and ruin some dead game's economy.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

medical debt hellmoo still less worse than current hellmoo

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

gently caress debt collectors(except the Scott Adkins movie, it's really good), but it is nice to see a very niche game company doing a good thing. Almost enough to draw me back into Aetolia.

Almost.

EDIT: Because there isn't a real thread for it, has anyone used Quest before? It's a text-adventure game maker.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cwinkle posted:

If you think a thread has gone too far off track feel free to report it. If you just want to toss out weird little snipes, don't post.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
I tried to roll a level 1 medical debt collector but the only player race it'll let me pick is rear end in a top hat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
not a bug; working as intended & designed

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Decided to mess around in Armageddon again after ~6 years. Not proud of it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Trying out Sindome because I am a bored idiot who hates fantasy settings

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I've never played a MUD in my life but I'm very curious to try. Any suggestions on what to play and where to start?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

leekster posted:

I've never played a MUD in my life but I'm very curious to try. Any suggestions on what to play and where to start?

Hoo boy what a question. I'm positive between all of the thread regulars we can recommend something, so let's start with a few questions:

What kind of experience are you looking for? Do you want something with heavy gameplay elements similar to a standard RPG or MMO?

Are you looking for roleplay--and if so are you willing to trade most or all elements of traditional RPG gameplay for something more roleplay focused?

How much do you want to rely on other people for gameplay? Are you fine with solo-play in the case of more traditional RPG elements like grinding or questing? Do you want almost all of your playtime to be spent with other people, via roleplay, mechanical gameplay, questing, etc.

I think these'll give a decent idea of what to recommend--don't worry about specific complex answers or whatever. MU* (which you'll sometimes see used instead of MUDs to refer broadly to MUDs, MUSHes, MUCKS, MOOs, etc--the distinction completely loving irrelevant for now) as a hobby has brought me together with some of the best people I've ever met and some of the most fun, but it can be a steel wall to get a feel for initially.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
That's a lot of words to say that Modus Operandi by Simutronics is the objective best MUD for a novice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
A bunch of goons are playing Icesus again, pop on and say hi if you want to try. We've got a bunch of stuff and are generally helpful, but Icesus is kind of a very :spergin: mud, even more than most.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is that one incel with the most xp in the game still allowed to go on misogynistic rants in global chat?

I love the game, but I'm just so tired of the entrenched deplorables in the playerbase that the new admin refuses to do anything about. At least they're not using the n-word anymore, I guess.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 19, 2020

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Hello Sailor posted:

Is that one incel with the most xp in the game still allowed to go on misogynistic rants in global chat?

I love the game, but I'm just so tired of the entrenched deplorables in the playerbase that the new admin refuses to do anything about. At least they're not using the n-word anymore, I guess.

Sriel? Don't think so, haven't seen him in a while

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

leekster posted:

Discworld MUD doesn't even require you to setup a mud client, you can set everything up just fine through the browser client, and your settings are stored on the gameserver, which is a big + for me.

Its a very archaic but simple MUD with a steady playerbase 24/7 and a helpful community. Give it a go if you are a fan of Pratchett's novels

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

Discworld MUD doesn't even require you to setup a mud client, you can set everything up just fine through the browser client, and your settings are stored on the gameserver, which is a big + for me.

Its a very archaic but simple MUD with a steady playerbase 24/7 and a helpful community. Give it a go if you are a fan of Pratchett's novels

Quow's pre-configured Discworld client is such a loving game changer, though: http://quow.co.uk/mushclient.php

Pryce
May 21, 2011

leekster posted:

I know it's a bit hit-or-miss around here, but I got started with the Iron Realms MUDs (Aetolia specifically for me). They're pretty active and really easy for a newbie to wrap their head around....yes there's technically a shitload of p2w there, but since you can buy their 'credits' for in-game money in theory you could earn everything legitimately. But honestly until you're high level none of that's gonna matter regardless; I enjoyed the game for the active community, the worldbuilding, and the opportunity to get involved in many different facets of the game.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Anyone still playing Hellmoo? I remember having some really funny memories from ages ago. There were a lot of spergs but I think there was a strong SA community with funny people. Somehow I fell in with a corp of mostly blind players. It's crazy to think that I've been absent enough to let all the text wealth I so painstakingly hoarded get spilled onto the street or whatever they did with inactive accounts.

It would be great to know if there was another mud around with a similar emphasis on comedy and parody. Without the sex stuff would be a plus.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 25, 2020

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hellmoo splintered into two versions of itself like 5-6 years back. Afaik the splinter died but the original is still up and running

Pham Nuwen posted:

Quow's pre-configured Discworld client is such a loving game changer, though: http://quow.co.uk/mushclient.php

I am going to try this! I am Nurel in Disc btw, a novice feef

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 25, 2020

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 108 days!
Awake, the Shadowrun MUD, has closed its doors. I dunno why the IMP, Che, finally decided to pack it in, but it's dead. There's been a little project going on the side to make a new one with an old version of the codebase, but the new IMP never really seemed to try recruiting builders very hard. He is looking, though, albeit passively. Che is gonna release the zone files I guess, which should go a long way toward making things playable short-term. I expect we should start to see things integrated this weekend.

Anyway if anyone's interested in something like that: awakemud.com port 4000

Discord if you wanna build: https://discord.gg/RVWnCBgf

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Pickles posted:

Hellmoo splintered into two versions of itself like 5-6 years back. Afaik the splinter died but the original is still up and running

I am going to try this! I am Nurel in Disc btw, a novice feef

Theres like 5 or 6 shards that I know of now, all of which are basically on life support. Hellmoo has the most players technically but it's mostly an IRC server.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I got an itch for Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth stuff and popped back on to MUME - it is surprisingly well-populated, even on the evil side. Anyone else playing? I've got a good-align hero plus a troll and a couple of orcs if anyone is up for putzing around.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 26, 2020

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

MUME has risen from the dead?!?

That's actually great news, last I checked there were 0 users in it so I left.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yeah it seemed to be limping along when I last logged on in like 2014 but it feels quite healthy now. It's no Discworld or anything but there's like 40-50 people online at the time I'm typing this. Granted it's a long holiday afternoon but still.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
For anyone who plays (or used to play) GemStone IV, I recently discovered there's a player-run podcast that talks about various game topics and interviews players and staff. Something of a mix between ongoing development and ancient MUD history.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't normally post in this thread, but Arctic MUD is gearing up for the Twentieth (possibly 19th? 21st? apparently they lost count by accident) playerwipe starting tomorrow at 2PM CST (2.5 hours from whenever I posted this). If anyone has ever thought about checking the game out, now is a really great time to jump in. The staff have made a ton of cool improvements to the game for this wipe, including adding thousands of new unlimited items to the game to help with gear availability, lowering XP totals needed to hit legendary/reinc and all kinds of other changes, most of which improve the pre-legendary experience. The current staff is more active and friendlier than any previous incarnations and put a ton of work into the game. There's also an Official Discord to help people find people to play with or get some help if you need it. I hadn't played for years, but I got back into the game last wipe because a bunch of my friends were playing again due to COVID and it has been a blast.

Arctic is a MUD based on the world of Dragonlance, there are hundreds of zones designed around different areas of that world from all throughout the history of the books. The game has full PVP (player damage is being scaled to 75% for the start of this playerwipe) and endgame content is designed around groups of 8 characters. But there's still tons to explore alone or with small groups. Players are also allowed to play up to 2 characters simultaneously now.

I'm personally going to be pushing tomorrow to try and hit endgame and a grab bunch of gear with my friends, but if anyone wants to play or has any questions hit me up here or on discord!

Also I feel like kind of a schill writing this so I feel like I need to mention I am not part of the staff, but would really like to see more people come play.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Wezlar posted:

Also I feel like kind of a schill writing this so I feel like I need to mention I am not part of the staff, but would really like to see more people come play.

Playing MU*s is a perpetual cycle of playing a game you really like, pitching it to everyone who might be vaguely interested, hoping they join and do the same, and then taking a break for a while until you repeat later, I say shill as much as possible because it's not like people stumble onto this poo poo much modernly.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

Sab Sabbington posted:

Hoo boy what a question. I'm positive between all of the thread regulars we can recommend something, so let's start with a few questions:

What kind of experience are you looking for? Do you want something with heavy gameplay elements similar to a standard RPG or MMO?

Are you looking for roleplay--and if so are you willing to trade most or all elements of traditional RPG gameplay for something more roleplay focused?

How much do you want to rely on other people for gameplay? Are you fine with solo-play in the case of more traditional RPG elements like grinding or questing? Do you want almost all of your playtime to be spent with other people, via roleplay, mechanical gameplay, questing, etc.

I think these'll give a decent idea of what to recommend--don't worry about specific complex answers or whatever. MU* (which you'll sometimes see used instead of MUDs to refer broadly to MUDs, MUSHes, MUCKS, MOOs, etc--the distinction completely loving irrelevant for now) as a hobby has brought me together with some of the best people I've ever met and some of the most fun, but it can be a steel wall to get a feel for initially.

I'm so sorry for not replying sooner! Things got crazy busy here and I forgot to check replies!

I think I'm looking for a traditional RPG with a social element. I want to to explore and go do dungeon crawls with people. Trading and RP are also pretty cool. I'm pretty open to any setting as well.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I got an email from Simutronics offering to reactivate my GS4 account for 60 days free. Is it worth picking up again?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
My general thoughts on the state of GS4 (which I still do play):

Pros:
- Good pace of ongoing development. Rangers and paladins had major spell updates a couple months ago, there's a new sailing system where you can buy your own ship and cruise around the seas fighting pirates, locksmithing services improved substantially by being able to deposit lockboxes to common pools, and more major changes in the pipeline.
- Frequent player-run roleplaying events
- Tools that make it easy to travel around the game world

Cons:
- Free-to-play system is incredibly stingy
- Economy inflation getting increasing out of hand with multi-boxers
- A lot of cool stuff like mounts are paywalled behind RL currency

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
The mounts are kinda weird in the era of ;go2 but still kinda neat from a 'yet another thing to customize angle.'

(I picked up a horse during the first Rumor Woods run but do t really use it at all)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sindome's pretty good. I've been playing it since 2016, and if you're into cyberpunk and heavy roleplay, it'll probably be your kind of thing.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

hbag posted:

Sindome's pretty good. I've been playing it since 2016, and if you're into cyberpunk and heavy roleplay, it'll probably be your kind of thing.

I just read the website and this looks amazing. I'll probably give it a try on the weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I played it for about a month and then tapped out. There are reddit posts warning people not to play it all the time because of drama with the GMs, but someone posted one that broke it down to me in a way that mattered- you will never catch up mechanically. An unarmed 6 month old character will wreck a dozen armed 1 month old characters without breaking a sweat. A one year old character can do the same to a dozen six month old characters, and so on. To get your optimal amount of experience points to invest, you have to be logged in about 3 hours a day. Just logged in, there is no way to kill things or do tasks or anything to boost skill enhancement. Now realize that a significant portion of the playerbase has played for years to decades, and even if their character dies they keep a significant amount of their points to reinvest. You will never catch up to the people already playing the game. It's mechanically impossible.

Now, all that's a shame because I actually really liked the parts of the game I saw... however most of game is totally inaccessible to you until you invest a year of logging in 3 hours a day. And those 1000+ hours of invested time only get you to a point where you don't die as easily trying to cross the street.